2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Mizuno Pro Original 1983

Fang66

Today I saw a set 3~9 + P and S of the original Mizuno Pro blades made in 1982~1983, fore runners I guess to the ProMS/MS/TN/MP lines. This set looked like it had never been hit, not a single scratch, ding, chatter mark on them. The grips and shafts TT DG S300(if memory serves) also looked brand new, the labels were unworn. I tried to take a picture but the battery on my smartphone wasn't very smart and conked out just at that moment.

Anyone know what a set like that might be worth? And also anyone interested in them? I only ask as they seem pretty unique and I know there are collectors on this board.

I was sorely tempted to buy them as I've been looking for a set of forged blades to help improve my ball striking. I don't think I'd do these babies justice though and am probably going to get a set of cheap banged up TN-87s for the driving range.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Fang66,

I played with Mizuno Pro Originals from '84-'89 (my teenage years) in the north of England. They're beauties. Rare too. I took mine out for a nostalgia round a year or two back and left the 8iron at a green never to be seen again. I have been looking for a good replacement iron since. Can I ask please where you saw the set for sale? Thanks.

[quote name='Fang66' timestamp='1322247667' post='3850861']
Today I saw a set 3~9 + P and S of the original Mizuno Pro blades made in 1982~1983, fore runners I guess to the ProMS/MS/TN/MP lines. This set looked like it had never been hit, not a single scratch, ding, chatter mark on them. The grips and shafts TT DG S300(if memory serves) also looked brand new, the labels were unworn. I tried to take a picture but the battery on my smartphone wasn't very smart and conked out just at that moment.

Anyone know what a set like that might be worth? And also anyone interested in them? I only ask as they seem pretty unique and I know there are collectors on this board.

I was sorely tempted to buy them as I've been looking for a set of forged blades to help improve my ball striking. I don't think I'd do these babies justice though and am probably going to get a set of cheap banged up TN-87s for the driving range.
[/quote]

The shafts won't be original. Dynamic Gold's were not on sale yet when Mizuno launched these models in 1982. They came with Nippon 2200R or 3300S shafts which were mid kick point and very smooth feeling. These were a gorgeous set of clubs and very workable. Before Mizuno most low hcp players in my county used Hogan, Staffs, Dunlop Maxfli, John Letters and the odd set of MacGregors....a year later Mizuno had at least 3/4 of the market...

[quote name='missingmy8' timestamp='1325364704' post='4010559']
Hello Fang66,

I played with Mizuno Pro Originals from '84-'89 (my teenage years) in the north of England. They're beauties. Rare too. I took mine out for a nostalgia round a year or two back and left the 8iron at a green never to be seen again. I have been looking for a good replacement iron since. Can I ask please where you saw the set for sale? Thanks.
[/quote]

Sorry about the late reply been off line for a while. Thanks for the pics.

I saw the clubs in a shop in Tokyo Ameyoko. They got snaffled pretty quickly, still regret I didn't buy them. If I see an 8 iron in my wanderings around Tokyo I'll let you know.

[quote name='johnstitch' timestamp='1325370155' post='4010873']
The shafts won't be original. Dynamic Gold's were not on sale yet when Mizuno launched these models in 1982. They came with Nippon 2200R or 3300S shafts which were mid kick point and very smooth feeling. These were a gorgeous set of clubs and very workable. Before Mizuno most low hcp players in my county used Hogan, Staffs, Dunlop Maxfli, John Letters and the odd set of MacGregors....a year later Mizuno had at least 3/4 of the market...
[/quote]

Wasn't sure about the shafts, could have been anything to be honest. The heads looked brand new.

• 2 years later...

Hello Fang66,

[/quote]
[/quote]

I actually have a set of Mizuno Pro Blades from a 3-5 lost my 6 but have 7-9 and just replaced them because I couldn't hit them nearly as far as my new clubs and if you were interested I am selling them! I Will post a picture tommorow

• 2 months later...

[quote name='GolfGameStrong' timestamp='1404801488' post='9657865']
Hello Fang66,
Hi i am just wondering how much a full set of these clubs are going for? I have them from 3-sw with 2200 shafts just a rough idea if you know thank you.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I actually have a set of Mizuno Pro Blades from a 3-5 lost my 6 but have 7-9 and just replaced them because I couldn't hit them nearly as far as my new clubs and if you were interested I am selling them! I Will post a picture tommorow
[/quote]

Now them's some butter knives! Would love to give those a whack (but not on a cold day)

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Hello Fang66,

[/quote]
[/quote]I HAVE A SET OF TN 93 MIZUNO PROS with s400 3- pw I have had since new.Recently rechromed and paint filled.Look perfect.Played 2 rounds since done.They are avaialble.I paid over $ 1800 in 1994 for them.SEND ME YOUR EMAIL FOR PICS.$ 900

Hi all. Came into possession of some Mizuno Bronze Cup BC - 1 Pro blades that are in mint condition. Cannot find anything on the internet about them. I will attach a photo for reference. Have asked Mizuno about them but haven't heard back yet...Brilliant set of rare clubs...don't know what to do with them (3-sw).

One pro suggested that they are circa 1974 but the mint condition of them may suggest otherwise...

Any one with info?????

"Designed for golf player"

Which is perfect because they wouldn't be worth a damn for badminton!

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

[quote name='MBBG' timestamp='1410961082' post='10131761']
"Designed for golf player"

Which is perfect because they wouldn't be worth a damn for badminton!
[/quote]

That language does seem a bit odd. I wonder if they are some sort of salesman sample for a set that could be custom ordered with a name?

Hardly an expert on Mizuno (despite owning far too many sets), but the "designed for golf player" sounds similar to "authorized for Mizuno pro staff" which appears on early MS models. Also reverse muscle shape is similar to the MS-3s I have. There are a lot of early random Mizunos out there. I have a set of Mizuno Johnny Millers.

Anyway put them in the bag!