SkyGolf Offering a FREE Membership?

ronbo

Can This be true
I was just surfing the Skygolf web site getting more info on the New SGXW and found this. I couldn't believe my eyes. I know what I'm getting for Xmas!

Unmatched accuracy with the convenience of wireless connectivity.

Now, the most up-to-date and ONLY sub-meter precision course maps in the game are available instantly and easily with the new
Wi-Fi enabled SkyCaddie® SGXw.

*SkyCaddie® SGXw owners can receive Holiday Savings on all SkyCaddie® SGXw Membership Plans when they activate and register their new SGXw between 11/25/11 and 12/31/11. Membership promotion restricted to SGXw’s activated in the U.S. A only.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ronbo' timestamp='1322252989' post='3851119']
You can trade your SGX in, that's what I'm going to do.....
[/quote]

how much are they giving for it and who.. mine is like 2 months old...

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

SkyCaddie Values*
Model Above Avg Average Below Avg
SG2.5 Lite $ 35 $ 28 $ 20
SG2.5 $ 35 $ 28 $ 20
SG3 $ 30 $ 25 $ 18
SG3.5 $ 60 $ 46 $ 33
SG4 $ 35 $ 28 $ 20
SG5 $ 85 $ 65 $ 50
SGX $ 130 $ 100 $ 80

Seems like we lose bigtime going from SGX to SGXW.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote name='PDADoc' timestamp='1322625505' post='3869619']
[quote name='ClayGolf84' timestamp='1322576670' post='3865877']
[url="http://www.skygolf.com"]www.skygolf.com[/url] this will let you find out all you want.
[/quote]

Heh, just like the cell phone companies. Once they've got you, they're on to the next new customer, never extending anything to loyal users!
[/quote]

truedat :rolleyes:

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts

[quote name='ronbo' timestamp='1322251609' post='3851063']
I was just surfing the Skygolf web site getting more info on the New SGXW and found this. I couldn't believe my eyes. I know what I'm getting for Xmas!

Unmatched accuracy with the convenience of wireless connectivity.

Now, the most up-to-date and ONLY sub-meter precision course maps in the game are available instantly and easily with the new
Wi-Fi enabled SkyCaddie® SGXw.

*SkyCaddie® SGXw owners can receive Holiday Savings on all SkyCaddie® SGXw Membership Plans when they activate and register their new SGXw between 11/25/11 and 12/31/11. Membership promotion restricted to SGXw’s activated in the U.S. A only.
[/quote]

Got a email this morning from Golf Galaxy:

Add $70 worth of Free accessories to this deal and the SGX!

Wow, great hands on review - good job!

I am not a fan of the joystick but I also hated the use of finger to navigate, lets face it, the finger is HUGE on a small screen like the SGX/SGXw - it ain't no iPad for sure and its clumsy. However, it sounds like SkyGolf made it more perdantic to use as well. Not good.

Based on your review, I'll just keep my SGX.

Thanks again, great read and much appreciated!

I had used the SkyCaddie for over 4 years but I got tired of the yearly fees and frustrated that all the other companies were coming out with comparible products with no subscription fees. I know that they have some great visual things however it became a deal breaker for me. About 2 months ago I switched to the Golfshot GPS app for the Iphone and it is quite good.

Nice review and i figured there wasn't a big change to need to leave my SGX and you proved me right. Thank you for the detailed review.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

My Golfing Experience with the SGXw v. the SGX

Don't waste your money on an SGXw.

Buy an SGX or keep your existing SGX!

Having used the SGXw for the first time on the golf course today, the Optical Trackpad left me wanting for the SGX, which I fortunately had with me, and ended up using instead of the SGXw for the rest of the round, after the first 3 holes. I still kept score and marked my tee box and drive distance with each, but by the end of the round, I came to the conclusion, for me, that the SGX is still the best SkyCaddie. I can do without the convenience of WiFi and I can do without RangeVue which basically just cluttered up the clean screen.

SkyGolf has maintained, that in addition to accuracy, speeding up the pace of play has been their primary goal. That was the reason behind AutoView, which I also never really saw the benefit of, as it caused more problems than it solved when it worked, whenever it falsely activated a change of orientation screen, and completely blacked out the screen in Landscape mode while wearing polarized sunglasses. AutoView also still slowed down play, because like a short cut key, the same information could be reliably obtained 100% of the time with a few key presses without the 3 second delay with each orientation change and with greater accuracy from an upright GPS antenna, per SkyGolf.

Now we have Optical Finger Navigation which replaces the wonderful joystick on the SGX. No longer can you move the cursor on the screen and make a selection with the same joystick. You have to first unlock the cursor with the power button, move the cursor by swiping your thumb across the sensor multiple times because it is TOO sensitive, and then relock the cursor by pressing on the power button a second time. It is so complicated to do that I just gave up trying, and went back to the SGX and its joystick, which just works, for all HoleVue changes and pin adjustments! Even entering the score was so much smoother and faster on the SGX. You cannot enter a score in Landscape View. You still need to turn the screen back to portrait mode to enter the score, so what is the point. I can get to the scorecard in two key presses from the Menu button on the SGX. What takes 2 seconds on the SGX, now takes 10-15 seconds on the SGXw, and, if you want to reposition the cursor again (after realizing you want a different location or want to fine tune your initial position selection), 2 more seconds on the SGX, and another 10-15 seconds on the SGXw. If HoleVue targets ever need to be changed or the pin ever moved, using the SGXw will slow the pace of play down in use by at least a minute or more per hole over the SGX, just due to all the extra button pressing necessary, along with all the confusion of trying to press multiple buttons that are hard to read and easy to confuse. That is a significant delay in the pace of play! The joystick on the SGX is impossible to mistake for any other key, and is the hub of all activity on the SGX. You rarely need to press or move any other button on the SGX other than the joystick.

Lastly, one of the best shortcuts on the SGX, double pressing the Mark Ball button to mark the location, does NOT work on the SGXw, despite the fact that the manual says it does. You have to press the Mark Ball button, and then press the right select button to confirm that you want to Mark the ball, when the dialog question pops up, "Mark the Current Location?" Yes or No?

It has taken the SGXw to make me truly appreciate how great a piece of hardware the SGX already is! icon_biggrin.gif

Since we have the negative post that I have now read I want to post a more positive post, since opinions are like noses most everyone has one. I have no affiliation to the company just a user who wanted to share my experience.

I had the SGXw out on the golf course now for the 3rd time. I have to say that I had to get used to the Optical Track pad and I did after the first round. It works great for me and I don’t have to worry about selecting something by depressing it by acciedent.

I know SkyGolf has maintained that accuracy and speed of play has been their primary goal. I have tried AutoView and I have turned it off as I can get the same screens without it. I have set my SGXw up to show me greens at 200 yards, so anytime I need that the info is there and I don’t’ need to rotate the screen to see it, again this is my opinion only. I also wear polarized sunglasses when the weather calls for it and noticed that in AutoView the screen is not completely black but is duller that when in portrait mode, another reason I keep the device there in the cart mount.

Again I didn’t have that big of an issue with the new track pad. Unlocking the screen, finding my intended target to shoot at, lock the screen and go that didn’t take that much time. I did all this while I was waiting on the rest of my foursome to put clubs away and get in the cart. When I get something new I give it more of a try than maybe 30 minutes of a 4 ½ hour round of golf, especially after I had just spent $400.00 for this new piece of electronics. Do you get rid of a new cellphone after a few minutes if you can’t work it, and then blog about how terrible your new phone is after a very short experience? I don’t think so.

I don’t see the SGXw in my honest opinion slowing down play once you get used to the functionality of the device. My unit as stated before is set up to how I play golf and the screens and the numbers I need are there for me when I need them. The issue is you have to know what you are using and how to make it work for your game to properly use it.

The double press of the ball mark still works you just have to wait for the Mark Current Location tip to pop up.

With the RangeVue rings it makes it easier for me to decide on a club quicker and with more confidence, before I approach the ball. I really like this function on the IntelliGreen as all the information I possibly need is right in front of me.

Wi-Fi has not been an issue for me as mine connected right away and I followed the Guide that was in the box to set it up.

I have truly enjoyed mine and looks like SkyGolf has made something special and new to the game of golf. <BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

• 2 weeks later...