2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

DEC. 20 CHAT WITH TAYLORMADE (Read what TMag replied to all of your questions pg 12)

HipCheck

How does TaylorMade as a company feel deal with some public perception that they release many models with little improvement from the previous model or just "another weight port"?

I for one love almost all the TM stuff it took me a while to warm up to the white but I have always wondered how the company feels about these comments from some.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dsparob' timestamp='1323812269' post='3934575']
I have always been an on and off Taylormade user since my Pittsburgh Persimmon through my R7 and 500 series. When there is great technology and performance in a classic look, I'm in, but when I get lost a little when looks change dramatically in a short term. I am not a big fan of different shapes, or extra flash. I understand the white concept, however I don't really get all of the extra work on the crown.

[b]Can you describe the mindset behind all of the crown graphics on both new lines, and what purpose they serve?

[/b]Thanks for doing this TM and Golfwrx, best of luck in the new year!!!
[/quote]

[size=2]Crown graphics are used for style and to addpersonality to the product. Is some cases with earlier Burner designs, theyhelped alignment and/or focus to view to the ball. -TO[/size]

[quote name='lobub' timestamp='1324411144' post='3966919']
Can someone comment as to how the RBZ fairway sounds and feels at impact? More thwack? Or dink? It's a big consideration for many golfers like myself.
[/quote]

Solid and Explosive...like a Rocket! Tour players said its the best sound they have ever heard from a fairway. And those comments was made when the cameras were off. -TO

[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1324410949' post='3966891']
Will TM be following suit and making an annoucement regarding their new Creative Director?
[/quote]

No plans for a change in this position. :rolleyes: I guess we're stuck with Sean Toulon for a few more years.... (I'll be hiding at my desk when he inevitably reads this).

- DC

[quote name='Jonny8' timestamp='1323812279' post='3934577']
Why did you go back to releasing multiple different club heads (R11s, RBZ, RBZ Tour; R11s fw, RBZ fw, RBZ Tour fw, RBZ TP fw).
The trend seem to be towards one club head (adjustable) and multiple shaft options, adjustments to the uniform clubhead

Thanks for the great chance and the giveaways
[/quote]

[size=2]With RBZ, the market at the mid priced segmentof $299 driver, there are many golfer needs and we feel this segment is ripefor expansion, hence 2 drivers at the same price, as opposed to a $299 and a$399 TP version like Burner 2.0. [/size]

[size=2]For fws and hybrids without FCT, we need tosupply the 2 performance types to cover the majority of golfer needs andprovide product for tour use. -TO[/size]

[quote name='Rule13.1' timestamp='1324409355' post='3966673']
Perhaps I'm a "black helicopter" and "black shaft" conspiracy theorist, but there seems to be a very efficacious program on Tour to control the colors and graphics on the R11 and SuperFast drivers. I assume it's because TMAG wants to accentuate the distinctive white golf club and a bright pink or psychedelic shaft could distract from that. If so, that's brilliant marketing.

My questions is: What is the process to design the graphics on the graphite shafts when you're designing and developing the clubs? Is it more of an art or a science?
[/quote]

[size="2"][size=2]We have many in-house designers, schooled mostly in automotive design, that create the exciting look and feel of our products. We also work our shaft vendors to create and explore new ideas. As you can imagine, it is the blending of art and science that creates the best products.

- TO[/size][/size]

[quote name='jclark07' timestamp='1323812499' post='3934593']
Has the RocketBallz line required the most R&D to date from Taylormade? Would you consider the advances made with the RBZ clubs to be more significant than say the R11, R9 or R7 when they were released?
[/quote]

[size=2]The RBZ Fws have been the most extensivelytested fairway wood program ever at TaylorMade, due to the complexity of theconstruction. Similar for rescues but the drivers were fairly typical for anFCT driver.[/size]

[size=2]From a fw/rescue perspective, RBZ are, by far,the biggest breakthrough in the category, from a performance standpoint. -TO[/size]

[quote name='T-Magic' timestamp='1324410621' post='3966831']
Will there be an R11s or R11 TP line of irons to replace the R11 like the R9 and R9 TP?
[/quote]

In iron product development, we seek to fit the needs of all golfers. In the past we have launched TP versions of our core products to provide performance associated with less offset, smaller head size, thinner topline, and more traditional lofting. Currently this need is filled by our Tour Preferred Forged iron line. It’s possible in the future that you will see sister irons to the R11. -BW

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324411356' post='3966949']
[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1324410949' post='3966891']
Will TM be following suit and making an annoucement regarding their new Creative Director?
[/quote]

No plans for a change in this position. :rolleyes: I guess we're stuck with Sean Toulon for a few more years.... (I'll be hiding at my desk when he inevitably reads this).

- DC
[/quote]
Just razzing you guys. I love TM. Anyone that comes out with "RocketBallZ" is pretty creative (And Ballzy).

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324411460' post='3966961']
[quote name='bu11dog' timestamp='1324409398' post='3966681']
Will we get to see commercials with GMAC smiling into the camera, winking, and saying: "I've got RocketBallz."
[/quote]

GMAC no play here. Hot commercials coming soon. - MF
[/quote]

Oops, my bad. Maybe DJ then. Seems more appropriate anyway. (please don't kick me out of the drawing for the mistake :))

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1324410814' post='3966875']
Any word on new belly designed putters?
[/quote]

In 2012 we will offer the Ghost Manta (double bend) and Ghost Spider (single bend) in belly options. We will also offer at least the Ghost Tour DA-12, which is an L neck blade in belly through custom. The Ghost Manta was designed with being a belly/long putter in mind. The increased stability and bold alignment lines make it an amazing belly and long putter.

We have taken a much longer look at belly and long putters next year improving all designs and manufacturing. All belly putters will now be offered from 38”-46” with progressive grip lengths of 15” – 21” and a round grip option in custom. Lastly our belly and long putter will be tipped an inch to make the shafts more consistent at longer lengths. -BW

[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1323812599' post='3934605']
First, KUDOS to a wonderfully successful 2011 with the R11 and Burner Superfast 2.0 drivers and fairway woods. They have been a HUGE hit. To follow-up on that success will be a true challenge. As other OEM's appear to be gravitating towards "simple is better", how can you convince the customer that "more adjustability is better" with the R11S? What makes the R11S "better" than the R11? What data is available to support this?
[/quote]

[size="2"][color="#5f645e"]The increased tuneability of the R11S hasseveral benefits.[/color][/size]

[size=2]1. The new larger 1.5 FCT sleeve provides awider adjustment capability. Most amateurs that we test in the MATT system,show a wide range of launch conditions. For these players, the 1.5 FCT givesthem more opportunity to optimize performance. For better players, we expect tosee more use of the intermediate FCT settings, (0.75 loft change), which allowbest performance without being too wide. Because we expect more use aintermediate, a 5 position ASP, aligns better to dial in performance.[/size]

[size=2]2. Secondly, the improved aerodynamics andrevised CG of the R11S provides more distance, combined with increasedadjustability. So even if you don’t use the adjustability the R11S will belonger than the R11 by 7 yards on average in our testing with the same settingsthat you get out of the box.[/size]

[size=2]3. With a larger size volume and address area,the R11 S will be perceived as more forgiving to all players, withoutsacrificing workability and distance. -TO[/size]

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1324409439' post='3966689']
How do you guys match those high end shafts to your clubs especially the TP line. For the most part, you guys keep hitting the bullseye with alot of your shaft offerings. Do you test on launch monitors to see how they fit each head?

Also, I've head quite a few R11 TP shafts off the tour van that had the full metal body vs the plastic cover of the retail ones. Are those the same specs as the retail ones or is their more adjustability of the tour van ones?
[/quote]

TP shafts are identical specs to what is available in tour vans and through retail from our aftermarket vendors. We don’t test every TP shaft with every design, just do to resource availability.

We need a different sleeve on the tour vans that works in their curing cells. The tour sleeve has the same functionality as the std sleeve, but is 1-2 gr heavier.

- TO

[quote name='Pro-Taylormade' timestamp='1324409489' post='3966695']
Why doesn't the RBZ have the MWT?
[/quote]

[size=2] [/size]

[size=2]Main target for RBZ was to bring tuning and speed to the masses. This means the cost of MWT doesn’t make sense for the masses. [/size]

[size=2][/size][size=2]This need is well covered by the R11S[/size] .

- TO

[quote name='PINSEEKER72' timestamp='1324411078' post='3966913']
Any discussion in the TaylorMade offices of having Elton John rewrite Rocket Man into a Rocket Balls theme and using him as your official spokesperson for the launch?
[/quote]

We are currently collaborating with Elton to re-write the song and have our R&D team perform it at this year’s TaylorMade airbands competition. - MF

While Speed was a constant theme in the Burner Line and optimization in every "R" Series since the R7, Guys with an aggressive transition that bring MORE than enough clubhead speed based on natural ability need more Stout and Heavier shaft options. For instance, in your TP offerings last year....you made the Project X Graphite available...the same shaft that was STOCK in other OEM Driver's...but only up to a 6.5 Flex, while another company (THAT I REALLY DON'T CARE FOR) Offered the Tour Issue Project X Offerings at no upcharge. Is this the case for 2012 as well? I'm still trying to figure my R11 out...I bought it with a PX 6.5 which has no lead to me playing a Project X 8A4 (Needed a 7.0 Flex)...I have heavier weights in the head and I'm still hitting it a bit high...in your professional opinion, will lighter weights in the head lead to a lower launch?

Avg. SS = 119 mph Ball Speed = 174mph
High SS = 124mph Ball Speed = 182mph
NOW, Those numbers mean nothing as I have ZERO Shortgame which causes my 11 Handicap...but fairways and limiting snap hooks always help!

Summed UP:

1. I can spin it like a top and need all the help I can get. Are you carrying heavier TP Options?

2. Do you find, for others like myself, that flight can be brought down by lighter or heavier weights with MWT?

Happy Holiday's and thank you so much for the time today.

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1323813430' post='3934683']
[list][*]Can you tell us more about the new penta ASP and how that will further allow the golfer to adjust the face angle?[*]Is there a point where gaining more distance with a fairway wood becomes counter-productive?[*]The sole of the original R11 fairway woods seems to cause many concerns with turf interactions. Has this been addressed in the new R11 fairway woods?[/list]
[/quote]

Quick answers
[list][*]The ASP5 gives a range of +/- 3 degrees, with intermediatesettings of+/- 1.5 degree so added flexibility and better match to the new 1.5FCT sleeve.[*]More distance will be a minor issue for some very longplayer, but we expect them to also gain distance throughout the bag so gappingshould be consistent[*] The R11 fw ASP system is designed to be consistent groundcontact points and less contact area than current fairways. We have rec’d very few playability complaintswith this system. Remember, unless thereis a fat impact, behind the ball, the ball contact time is so short that thereshould be minimal effect of performance. -TO[/list]

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1324411001' post='3966905']
Adams F11 and many of the Tour Edge Exotics FW metals have the history and reputation as being long...in some cases too long..You could also throw the Mizuno MP Titanium in that mix...do you have any data, anecdotal or otherwise to show the new TM line as longer than these competitors???
[/quote]

RocketBallz is longer than anything in the market today under our standard test conditions. Since other new product is not yet available to test, we cannot comment yet on those comparisons. We expect the RocketBallz performance to speak for itself. All we ask is that you go and try it and compare.

-TO

That would be very funny if true. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. Looking forward to tring an RBZ fairway wood and hopefully ending my 20 year quest to find a fairway wood that I can get along with.

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324411918' post='3967013']
[quote name='PINSEEKER72' timestamp='1324411078' post='3966913']
Any discussion in the TaylorMade offices of having Elton John rewrite Rocket Man into a Rocket Balls theme and using him as your official spokesperson for the launch?
[/quote]

We are currently collaborating with Elton to re-write the song and have our R&D team perform it at this year’s TaylorMade airbands competition. - MF
[/quote]

First see sig!!
Second ---will sleeves on R9's and R11's work on the RBZ or the R11s drivers??

Thanks!

Love the RBZ 3 wood it goes a mile!!

Well, 265 off the tee at least!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link