2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

DEC. 20 CHAT WITH TAYLORMADE (Read what TMag replied to all of your questions pg 12)

HipCheck

Knew it!! haha.. seriously to hear Elton sing a Rocketballz version would be awesome. Thanks again TM for all the insightful responses, I have an open fairway slot in my bag for a 3wood and cant wait to try the RBZ. I hit the Burner 2 5wood pretty long, so looking forward to great things with the RBZ.

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324411918' post='3967013']
[quote name='PINSEEKER72' timestamp='1324411078' post='3966913']
Any discussion in the TaylorMade offices of having Elton John rewrite Rocket Man into a Rocket Balls theme and using him as your official spokesperson for the launch?
[/quote]

We are currently collaborating with Elton to re-write the song and have our R&D team perform it at this year's TaylorMade airbands competition. - MF
[/quote]

TaylorMade Stealth 10.5
Titleist 906F4
TaylorMade Stealth 3 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forged 4-PW
TaylorMade MG3 Black 52/56

Scotty Phantom X7
.. and a collection of Odyssey #7s 🙂

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='lightningbolt444' timestamp='1324411197' post='3966927']
How does TaylorMade as a company feel deal with some public perception that they release many models with little improvement from the previous model or just "another weight port"?

I for one love almost all the TM stuff it took me a while to warm up to the white but I have always wondered how the company feels about these comments from some.
[/quote]

We know that golfers buy the hope of a better game, whether in clubs or lessons. Because of the aspirational nature of our game, we don’t ever think people will stop buying as long as we create better product. The product doesn’t lie, if it doesn’t work better, it will not sell.

- TO

Will there be an R11 Superdeep option in the future? Or at least an ultra low spin offering? Also now that other companies are releasing drivers in black and white will TM be doing this with any upcoming models?

Thanks A ton for doing this. It is great to see the support that TaylorMade has been giving golfwrx over the past few years.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1324411181' post='3966923']
Will the Itsy Bitsy make a reappearance in the 2012 line-up? And, with the exploding popularity of the belly putter, is there any chance that you guys might be one of the first manufacturers (that I've seen) that will produce a belly with a centershafted head configuration? I putt with a standard length centershaft itsy bitsy, and have tinkered with bellying it, and a few other TM putters I have(can't get the weight up enough). I'd like to find a suitable belly that has a centershafted configuration, yet none are available from not just TM, but anyone, practically. It's hard for me to transition from the visual of a centershafted putter (using for a LOOOONG time) to looking at a heel shafted club. Any plans for a CS belly?
[/quote]

All but a couple of the Ghost Spider putters used on the tour Worldwide are the std Ghost Spider. The std Ghost Spider allows for maximum stability and speed control, which is why it has been our top used model. Because of this we currently have no plans of launching a Ghost Spider Itsy Bitsy in 2012. Im sorry again, but as for belly options in 2012 we are currently only offering; the Ghost Manta with double bend, the Ghost Spider with a single bend and a Ghost Tour DA-12 with a straight in L-neck. The reason we decided to go with no center shafted version is because we see very few request for center shafted belly putters on tour, but as we begin to hear more requests like these it will impact future products. -BW

Thanks TM for spending some time on WRX, it is greatly appreciated. Im looking forward to checking out your new products for 2012 and hopefully doing some updating to my bag.

What are the biggest differences that amateur golfers will notice between the different putter inserts? Is there a difference in forward roll, ball speed, etc.?

Thanks again for your time.

-Jeff

I have read that the new Penta TP3 is designed to line up with the Pro V1 and the Penta TP5 is designed to line up with the new Penta TP5, is this correct?

I read earlier in the the thread that the Penta TP5 now has less a lower core compression, does this mean it will feel softer off all clubs, or just the longer irons and woods?

Thank you in advance for all of your information, and Happy Holidays!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='OR_GolfNut' timestamp='1324410816' post='3966877']
What is the head size of the RBZ 3W? Assuming there will be RBZ 4w & 5w, do they offer the same type of increased COR?
[/quote]

The Rocketballz 3 wood head size is 197cc.

While we don’t have a 4 wood we do have a new 17 degree 3 wood (3HL) in addition to the standard 15 degree 3 wood.

The 3HL and the 5 wood ( 7 wood and 9 wood) all have increased speed but they are proportional to the loft of the club and the length of the shaft. - MF

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324412358' post='3967061']
[quote name='lightningbolt444' timestamp='1324411197' post='3966927']
How does TaylorMade as a company feel deal with some public perception that they release many models with little improvement from the previous model or just "another weight port"?

I for one love almost all the TM stuff it took me a while to warm up to the white but I have always wondered how the company feels about these comments from some.
[/quote]

We know that golfers buy the hope of a better game, whether in clubs or lessons. Because of the aspirational nature of our game, we don't ever think people will stop buying as long as we create better product. The product doesn't lie, if it doesn't work better, it will not sell.

- TO

[/quote]

Great approach ! I have to tell you things what you guys are doing today and all the great giveaways is what warmed me up trying the white R11 as I was totally turned off by the looks but with all the support you give us I felt it was I should at least give it a shot. I started using it and got used to it extremely fast. It will be interesting to see if the RBZ fairway woods can knock my 910FD out of the bag this yea. I will for sure be giving it a shot as soon as I can demo one.

Thanks again for all you do for the community.

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324412221' post='3967041']
[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1324411001' post='3966905']
Adams F11 and many of the Tour Edge Exotics FW metals have the history and reputation as being long...in some cases too long..You could also throw the Mizuno MP Titanium in that mix...do you have any data, anecdotal or otherwise to show the new TM line as longer than these competitors???
[/quote]

RocketBallz is longer than anything in the market today under our standard test conditions. Since other new product is not yet available to test, we cannot comment yet on those comparisons. We expect the RocketBallz performance to speak for itself. All we ask is that you go and try it and compare.

-TO
[/quote]

When you perform these tests, do you test test the stock offerings of each club or do you try to reduce the amount of variables to determine which head is truly longer (same shaft, same length, same loft, same lie, etc...). How has the RBZ faired against competitors when comparing yards off the target line?

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324412581' post='3967077']
[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1324411181' post='3966923']
Will the Itsy Bitsy make a reappearance in the 2012 line-up? And, with the exploding popularity of the belly putter, is there any chance that you guys might be one of the first manufacturers (that I've seen) that will produce a belly with a centershafted head configuration? I putt with a standard length centershaft itsy bitsy, and have tinkered with bellying it, and a few other TM putters I have(can't get the weight up enough). I'd like to find a suitable belly that has a centershafted configuration, yet none are available from not just TM, but anyone, practically. It's hard for me to transition from the visual of a centershafted putter (using for a LOOOONG time) to looking at a heel shafted club. Any plans for a CS belly?
[/quote]

All but a couple of the Ghost Spider putters used on the tour Worldwide are the std Ghost Spider. The std Ghost Spider allows for maximum stability and speed control, which is why it has been our top used model. Because of this we currently have no plans of launching a Ghost Spider Itsy Bitsy in 2012. Im sorry again, but as for belly options in 2012 we are currently only offering; the Ghost Manta with double bend, the Ghost Spider with a single bend and a Ghost Tour DA-12 with a straight in L-neck. The reason we decided to go with no center shafted version is because we see very few request for center shafted belly putters on tour, but as we begin to hear more requests like these it will impact future products. -BW
[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to answer that. Appreciate it. Looks like I'll have to extend a standard length ghost spider to get it there and then add weight. Me and my silly experiments. Lol. Again thanks and kudos for taking time to answer a bunch of questions from golf whores.

Just wanted to thank Taylormade and HipCheck and Golfwrx for allowing us to pick the minds of members of the Taylormade team! Definitely cannot wait to hit the RBZ fairways and the RBZ drivers and the ATV wedges! Have a great week and Happy Holidays!

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1323813102' post='3934645']
First off. Love the look and design of RBZ. My question is. With the huge success of the R11, why was the introduction of the RBZ (not to mention the R11s) so soon. I understand the need to progess but if I just spent $400 for an R11 in 2011, the chances of me buying a RBZ or R11s are pretty slim. Do you think the sales of RBZ and R11s will support the decision for such a early release?

[/quote]

[size=2]First, we believe that we must have the hot newproduct every spring, otherwise golfers will by something else. This is oursport and our consumer mindset and the way we maintain our number one marketshare. We don’t believe it is an early release, as we have launched new productalmost every spring for the last 11+ years [/size]

[size=2]Secondly, in a major replacement cycle, thesecond year is bigger than the first. We believe we are in a major cycle forseveral reasons, A) White Technology, B) Breakthrough performance and C) 55 players using it on tour every week D) Pent up golferdemand that is just starting to recover after the 2008-2010 economic issues.[/size]

[size=2]Thirdly, the average replacement cycle fordrivers is 3 years, with about 30% replacing in the first year, leaves 70% whohave yet to replace but will do so in the next 2 years. [/size]

[size=2]Fourthly, any consumer marketing expert willtalk to you about the classical types of buyers: Early Adopters, EarlyMajority, Late Majority and Laggards. We want to get as many of the first 3 aspossible with newer product. (The Laggards are covered with cascaded product.)[/size]

[size=2]And many of the Early Adopters, including most GolfWRXmembers, will buy a driver every year, in some cases more than one every year.And for those very wealthy golfers, (think of golfers with memberships at topprivate clubs), the price of a driver is equivalent to me buying a bottle ofwine.[/size]

[size=2]Finally, based on early retailer feedback andorder booking, both R11S and RBZ metalwoods are currently out booking thissprings product lines, so the market is very positive on our offerings for2012. -TO[/size]

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1323827192' post='3935759']
What is the difference between the Burner 2.0 irons and the RBZ irons with regards to performance?
[/quote]

The RBZ irons are longer, straighter, and feel better than B2.0. Not bad, considering the popularity and breakthrough performance of the B2.0 (currently the number one selling iron on and off course). To accomplish this, we looked at each iron individually and considered how we could make it perform better. In the long irons (3,4,5), a new hollow-body construction was used similar to our metalwoods to increase ball speed and distance significantly while maintaining high flight. Mid irons are cavity-backs with ultra-thin faces providing high COR and improved accuracy and forgiveness. Short irons and wedges have been designed to be more playable and controllable, with the AW, SW, and LW being more bladelike, and incorporating our new ATV versatile sole design for better shot-making. Two other new technologies are used in RBZ as well. Acoustic dampers are present internally in the long irons, and in the undercut of the mid/short irons which absorb vibration making them feel fantastic. Also the toe-bar stabilizer and redesigned ICT help to control face flexion, allowing our highest COR structures to be straighter and more accurate. Hope this helps you. - BW

When is TM releasing the portable "Iron Byron" machine to hit my shots for me so I can finally say I shot even par? And what about the TP model which putts for me as well so I can shoot 62 on any given week?

All kidding aside... nice job with the RBZ line. I definitely will be trying the 3 wood out.

TM Superfast 1.0 10.5 deg w/ Kai'Li
TM 2017 M2 15 deg
Adams Idea Tour Proto 20deg
Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324412794' post='3967095']
[quote name='Eck42' timestamp='1324412010' post='3967025']
Will there be a stand bag offering with RBZ similar to the Staff Bag?
[/quote]

[attachment=956099:TM_TroyCartBag_2012.jpg]

[attachment=956101:TM_TroyStandBag_2012_b.jpg]

Yes. These will be available in April.

- DC
[/quote]

Wow! Nice!

WITB:

PING G425 Max
PING G425 3W

PING G425 7W
PING G425 Hybrid 

TaylorMade P790 (2023)

Cleveland Wedges

TaylorMade Spider Vicino Putter
TaylorMade Tour Response

Vessel Stand Bag

[quote name='lightningbolt444' timestamp='1324412415' post='3967065']
Will there be an R11 Superdeep option in the future? Or at least an ultra low spin offering? Also now that other companies are releasing drivers in black and white will TM be doing this with any upcoming models?

Thanks A ton for doing this. It is great to see the support that TaylorMade has been giving golfwrx over the past few years.
[/quote]

We don’t have plans to resurrect the SuperDeep in R11 but the R11s is within 200 rpms of the SuperDeep. Every degree is about 300 rpms so by lower if you lower the loft by a degree you should achieve nirvana. - MF

Ok guys… we're wrapping it up now… time for lunch. The 2+hours went by FAST. We've been thrilled in the level of participation here;thank you. All of us are very (VERY) excited about the new stuff coming out andsharing this time with you has been a real pleasure. Great, thoughtful (andchallenging) questions from all of you, wish we had more time to answer everyone of them today.

On behalf of the entire team at TaylorMade, thanks again foropportunity. Feel free to reach out… most of you know you can find us onfacebook.com/taylormadegolf and twitter.com/taylormadegolf and we'll be postingmore info about all of the 2012 products on our web site taylormadegolf.com inearly January.

WRX is going to take care of the random drawing for the RBZ 3-wood. Stay tuned for a post/PM from WRX to see if you won.

-BW,TO,MF,DC & the team

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324413230' post='3967155']
Ok guys… we're wrapping it up now… time for lunch. The 2+hours went by FAST. We've been thrilled in the level of participation here;thank you. All of us are very (VERY) excited about the new stuff coming out andsharing this time with you has been a real pleasure. Great, thoughtful (andchallenging) questions from all of you, wish we had more time to answer everyone of them today.

On behalf of the entire team at TaylorMade, thanks again foropportunity. Feel free to reach out… most of you know you can find us onfacebook.com/taylormadegolf and twitter.com/taylormadegolf and we'll be postingmore info about all of the 2012 products on our web site taylormadegolf.com inearly January.

WRX is going to take care of the random drawing for the RBZ 3-wood. Stay tuned for a post/PM from WRX to see if you won.

-BW,TO,MF,DC & the team
[/quote]

Thank you for your time, everyone! :clapping:

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

-BW,TO,MF,DC & the team
[/quote]

you guys are awesome!! i will look into more taylormade products just from this forum.

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324412815' post='3967107']
[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1323813102' post='3934645']
First off. Love the look and design of RBZ. My question is. With the huge success of the R11, why was the introduction of the RBZ (not to mention the R11s) so soon. I understand the need to progess but if I just spent $400 for an R11 in 2011, the chances of me buying a RBZ or R11s are pretty slim. Do you think the sales of RBZ and R11s will support the decision for such a early release?

[/quote]

[size="2"]First, we believe that we must have the hot newproduct every spring, otherwise golfers will by something else. This is oursport and our consumer mindset and the way we maintain our number one marketshare. We don't believe it is an early release, as we have launched new productalmost every spring for the last 11+ years [/size]

[size="2"]Secondly, in a major replacement cycle, thesecond year is bigger than the first. We believe we are in a major cycle forseveral reasons, A) White Technology, B) Breakthrough performance and C) 55 players using it on tour every week D) Pent up golferdemand that is just starting to recover after the 2008-2010 economic issues.[/size]

[size="2"]Thirdly, the average replacement cycle fordrivers is 3 years, with about 30% replacing in the first year, leaves 70% whohave yet to replace but will do so in the next 2 years. [/size]

[size="2"]Fourthly, any consumer marketing expert willtalk to you about the classical types of buyers: Early Adopters, EarlyMajority, Late Majority and Laggards. We want to get as many of the first 3 aspossible with newer product. (The Laggards are covered with cascaded product.)[/size]

[size="2"]And many of the Early Adopters, including most GolfWRXmembers, will buy a driver every year, in some cases more than one every year.And for those very wealthy golfers, (think of golfers with memberships at topprivate clubs), the price of a driver is equivalent to me buying a bottle ofwine.[/size]

[size="2"]Finally, based on early retailer feedback andorder booking, both R11S and RBZ metalwoods are currently out booking thissprings product lines, so the market is very positive on our offerings for2012. -TO[/size]

[/quote]
Very well said. I know marketing and product development is done months if not years prior to release but wanted to hear your repsponse to the biggest complaint about yearly product releases. Again, very well said and thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions.. May your balls fly like a rocket !!

[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1324413502' post='3967183']

-BW,TO,MF,DC & the team
[/quote]

Thank you for your time, everyone! :clapping:

Even though my question was un-answered and I'm not eligible for the RBZ 3 wood giveaway, I just want to thank GOLFWRX and TM for doing this. A wonderful amount of insight into the thought process behind their success could be taken from this chat. THANKS!!!
[/quote]

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

As a follow-up to a previous post, how can the consumer look at the spider and know if its already been tipped an inch on the newer models. I have always felt the previous model to feel "loose". I look forward to trying it after tipping in inch. When is this available and how flat of a lie angle will you be able to achieve (67 or 68)?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324412221' post='3967041']
[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1324411001' post='3966905']
Adams F11 and many of the Tour Edge Exotics FW metals have the history and reputation as being long...in some cases too long..You could also throw the Mizuno MP Titanium in that mix...do you have any data, anecdotal or otherwise to show the new TM line as longer than these competitors???
[/quote]

RocketBallz is longer than anything in the market today under our standard test conditions. Since other new product is not yet available to test, we cannot comment yet on those comparisons. We expect the RocketBallz performance to speak for itself. All we ask is that you go and try it and compare.

-TO
[/quote]

I will happily do so!! Do you need my address to send me my "test" sample?? :)

Thanks for the wonderful information..hope the RBZ can kick the Mizzy and TEE out of the bag...