2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

DEC. 20 CHAT WITH TAYLORMADE (Read what TMag replied to all of your questions pg 12)

HipCheck

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='eegolf2' timestamp='1324406889' post='3966307']
Please explain the theory behind your wedges and the standard bounces for each loft.

Thanks

E
[/quote]

The wedge concept was originally created because of the compromises golfer were making with their wedges. They could not get a wedge to perform from tight lies and bunker, firm and soft condition and different types of swings. We determined that one bounce was limiting as wedges are a tool we use from a number of different shots and course conditions.

With the ATV wedge its not about having one bounce anymore, but having the right bounce and shape for the shot you are trying to hit. One bounce is limiting so when someone asks what bounce I should play the real answer is all of them. So the ATV wedge was created with different grinds and shapes that create different affective bounces on the all the shot and courses you will encounter in your round.

Below are the shots we designed the wedge to perform on; in detail without compromising the others.

Chip shots:
The leading edge shape acts like the front end of a parabolic ski, ensuring no digging and a crisp consistent contact with all conditions. The channel running thru the middle of the sole allows the club to sit lower than a standard cambered wedge, thus lowering the leading edge, making it easier to make consistent contact on chips.

Full Shots:
the leading edge surface, and trailing edge surface provide the most interaction with the ground. The center channel is only subtly pushing against the turf a wider sole is needed to increase the contacted surface area and avoid digger on full shots.

Bunker shots:
The trailing angles are designed to interact with the ground surface only in open faced shots. The surface area used on the sole with an open face includes the back umbrella. This makes the effective width even wider creating more stability and forgiveness. The back surface of the channel creates resistance as club moves thru the sand. This allows the club head to move thru the sand “hovering” just below the surface, rather than continuing to dig like a conventional wedge.

Flop shots:
The heel relief allows varying angle of open face shots and eliminates unnecessary material from the sole that might “catch”, or “grab” thru impact. The heel relief makes it easier to make consistent contact on a variety of open face shots.

Rough Conditions:
Heel and sole relief reduces interacting surface area allowing the club to get through faster for improved predictability through the rough conditions.

Tight Lies:
The channel running thru the middle of the sole allows the club to sit lower, thus lowering the leading edge, making it easier to make consistent contact. The channel also allows what traditionally would be a wide sole, perform like a less bounce, thinner sole, traits that work well on tight lies.

-BW

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1323921005' post='3941703']<br>As a 3 hdcp, why should I dump my r9 fw metal for new technology.&nbsp;&nbsp;It has been a very good club for me, and I love the heavier shaft I play lighter, faster, and new makes me nervous.&nbsp;&nbsp;How do you get me to switch?<br>[/quote]RBZ will be about 20+ yards longer than an R9fw, with improved playability. Once you try RBZ, we are convinced you will like the improved performance the extra distance will get you. Even on Tour, we saw many players switch into the Burner SuperFast metalwoods after they played a practice round with players who had these clubs. They would switch because these players were hitting the ball farther than them all of a sudden. Similarly with RBZ we expect the club to sell itself on performance. - TO

<br>[quote name='bvmiller8244' timestamp='1324407844' post='3966443']
<br><br>Hello TMAG-

Q1: which of the staff professionals have put these into championship play and what has been their feedback?
Q2: do you expect this driver to be on the Golf Digest Hotlist for 2012? And what type of comments has we expect from L M H hdcps?

Thank You!
[/quote]
<br><br>Q1: All of our Tour Staff professionals have tested and experienced the new products but they have not been played in any official or "championship" tournaments or events as the products don't officially launch on Tour, or in the marketplace, until 2012. You may have seen photos of Camilo Villegas with his new RBZ irons in his bag during pro-am play at the Shark Shootout in Naples, FL here on GolfWRX a couple weeks back. <br><br>http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/552207-camilo-villegas-has-the-rbz-version-b-irons-in-play/
<br><br>Q2: We don't like to speculate but we hope to see the new drivers in the Golf Digest Hot List in 2012. We cannot predict the feedback we'll see in the magazine but look forward to their assessment of the new products!

- DC<br><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;
color:#1C2837;mso-ansi-language:EN" lang="EN"></span><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;
color:#1C2837;mso-ansi-language:EN" lang="EN"></span><p class="MsoNormal"></p>

What irons in your current line are most comparable to the R7TP (still in my bag after four years--awesome irons)?

It seems like the R11 irons are more comparable to the R7 (non-tp), while the MC irons are considerably more "players clubs" than the R7TPs, which are a great combo of playability and performance.

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324407661' post='3966413']
[quote name='sedowney' timestamp='1324407389' post='3966379']
Just got back from lunch, TMAG rocks. Thanks for the chat, my question is, b[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]eing a science minded nerd , would the compression channel be likely to ever suffer from " work hardening " of the metal? That in turn could lead to fatigue fracture, how was this addressed and dealt with? Thanks, TMAG! Continue to bring great products.

Shane [/size][/color]
[/quote]

Great question, Shane. The stresses experienced in the 'Speed Pocket' are much below the fatigue limits of the materials used to create the RocketBallz fairway woods, so no, they are immune to suffering from "work-hardening."

One of the biggest challenges in developing this product was the durability of the structure and we are confident that we have made a very robust design.

-TO
[/quote]

Awesome, thank you and TM! Can't wait to give the RBZ a go!

[quote name='SCK' timestamp='1324407068' post='3966325']
Love the white! Do you guys have any plans of making the top of your irons white?
[/quote]

We are continually looking at how to improve the alignment of all of our clubs. There are challenges inherent with making highly exposed areas of the club head white. -BW

[quote name='Topspin2' timestamp='1324405248' post='3966051']
How was the idea to equip Tour model with Matrix XCon 6 arrived at?
[/quote]

[size=2]This is a new version of the xCon 6 franchise that we worked on exclusively with Matrix. It is designed to be a 55-gram shaft that plays like a 65-gram shaft.[/size] [size=2][/size][size=2]Give it a try and let us know what you think.[/size]

-TO

Will drivers ever stop getting longer or will golfers with 20 handicaps be hitting shots 350 yards some day in the future?

Srixon ZX7 9.5 w/Ventus Black 6S

Srixon ZX 5 Wood 18* w/Ventus Red 6S

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron w/KBS Prototype 85S

Scratch Irons w/Modus 120 S

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50,54,58

Odyssey Black Series #2

How much more distance can be squeezed out of new drivers/woods? Do you think the end of additional distance is near?

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

[quote name='TheNonnanJuggernaught' timestamp='1323928540' post='3942105']
What are the launch and spin characteristics of the RBZ tour compared to the R11s tp?

Can we get a list of how much the 25 shaft upgrades each will cost?
[/quote]

[size=2]The RBZ Tour and the R11S drivers will be verycomparable in launch and spin and ballspeed. The benefit of the R11S system, isthe MWT and ASP5 systems, give much greater flexibility in dialing in allperformance aspects.[/size]

[size=2]We know that clubs require all variables todial in for optimum performance. - TO[/size]

[quote name='lobub' timestamp='1324408006' post='3966465']
[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324407841' post='3966441']
[quote name='lobub' timestamp='1324407582' post='3966399']
Will you guys ever bring adjustability to the Superfast driver line? (Preferably in black. :tongue: )
[/quote]

No. -DC
[/quote]

Tears are quietly streaming down my face right now.
[/quote]
Amen means I'll wait a year and strip and respray SUCKS

TM BRNR 11.5 HZRDUS Black
Tour Edge ExoticC723 15 HZRDUS Black

20 and 24 Tour Edge Exotic KBS hybrid
5-6  Wilson Staff D7 forged $ taper lite black 2 weak
7-PW Wilson Staff CB $ taper lite black 1 strong
50 55 60 Wilson Staff Forged $ taper lite

PXG Bat Attack 37 1/2 Dead Eye Shaft 

TM Tour Response W S Triad

Since golfers will also be hitting the RBZ rescues quite a bit further are you going to be offering the hybrids at a higher loft? We see a lot of folks in our store that are looking for hybrids in a 7i or 6i but may not have the coin to spring for a new set of RBZ irons to make their distances match up.

Thanks!

TO - You mentioned in one of your post earlier Gary Adams original philosophy was to make the best-performing products for [i]all golfers. [/i]

While I am very excited about the ATV wedge line, new fairway woods and new Penta (which I will likely buy all) it is my own belief most people can improve/cut strokes from their putting game as much or more than any part of their game. I like to hear TM talk about putter aim, alignment, etc. as I know you have in some previous posts. Can you expand on what TM is doing for golfers in the putting arena? I really think this is one area where custom fitting can be very important for golfers of all talents.

Thank you guys!

I am disappointed TM is not responding in a white font drinks.gif

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

[b]Thanks TM for coming on and handing some questions from the "hardcore" golfing public! [/b]

I was wondering if you might be able to shed some light on the new Aldila Phenom shaft being put into the new R11s driver and fairway woods. It seems to be an improvement over the previous offering, but can you give us a few more details about the specifications?

TM '17 M2 9.5* - Accra Tour Z X465 M4
PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron TEI3

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324408209' post='3966495']
[quote name='eegolf2' timestamp='1324406889' post='3966307']
Please explain the theory behind your wedges and the standard bounces for each loft.

Thanks

E
[/quote]

The wedge concept was originally created because of the compromises golfer were making with their wedges. They could not get a wedge to perform from tight lies and bunker, firm and soft condition and different types of swings. We determined that one bounce was limiting as wedges are a tool we use from a number of different shots and course conditions.

With the ATV wedge its not about having one bounce anymore, but having the right bounce and shape for the shot you are trying to hit. One bounce is limiting so when someone asks what bounce I should play the real answer is all of them. So the ATV wedge was created with different grinds and shapes that create different affective bounces on the all the shot and courses you will encounter in your round.

Below are the shots we designed the wedge to perform on; in detail without compromising the others.

Chip shots:
The leading edge shape acts like the front end of a parabolic ski, ensuring no digging and a crisp consistent contact with all conditions. The channel running thru the middle of the sole allows the club to sit lower than a standard cambered wedge, thus lowering the leading edge, making it easier to make consistent contact on chips.

Full Shots:
the leading edge surface, and trailing edge surface provide the most interaction with the ground. The center channel is only subtly pushing against the turf a wider sole is needed to increase the contacted surface area and avoid digger on full shots.

Bunker shots:
The trailing angles are designed to interact with the ground surface only in open faced shots. The surface area used on the sole with an open face includes the back umbrella. This makes the effective width even wider creating more stability and forgiveness. The back surface of the channel creates resistance as club moves thru the sand. This allows the club head to move thru the sand "hovering" just below the surface, rather than continuing to dig like a conventional wedge.

Flop shots:
The heel relief allows varying angle of open face shots and eliminates unnecessary material from the sole that might "catch", or "grab" thru impact. The heel relief makes it easier to make consistent contact on a variety of open face shots.

Rough Conditions:
Heel and sole relief reduces interacting surface area allowing the club to get through faster for improved predictability through the rough conditions.

Tight Lies:
The channel running thru the middle of the sole allows the club to sit lower, thus lowering the leading edge, making it easier to make consistent contact. The channel also allows what traditionally would be a wide sole, perform like a less bounce, thinner sole, traits that work well on tight lies.

-BW

[/quote]

Thank you BW - Great response.

[quote name='lobub' timestamp='1324407959' post='3966453']
Are there any pros who will be putting the RBZ woods into play? If so, can you name them?
We've seen Villegas' irons, but don't know if he is playing the woods.
[/quote]

Our pros pick the driver that best fits their game and performance. While we don’t know who specifically will play the Rocketballz drivers, we know that there will be tour players playing the Rocketballz driver next year. How many? We will see. -MF

Thanks for the opportunity, I have a few questions:What's the reasoning behind no LH availability for the RBZ Tour models?
I was very excited to give these clubs a try as I was certain it would replace my Titleist FW.
Any chance the RBZ Tour line will be released in LH? Is the standard version significantly draw biased?
Can TP shafts be installed to the standard version?

Since you guys aren't going adjustible in the SF line, are you guys discontinuing that model or are there any significant improvements in SF 3.0? (Need to know if I need to start hoarding heads!)

TM Superfast 1.0 10.5 deg w/ Kai'Li
TM 2017 M2 15 deg
Adams Idea Tour Proto 20deg
Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW
TM xFT 52, 56, 60
Seemore FGP mallet

Do you guys want to once and for all settle this Superfast 2.0 TP issue where some folks claim that there are multiple versions of the head. Presumably the later version, which some refer to as "Version 2", and which some claim are designated with a second serial number on the hosel, are less fade biased than the early version.

Also, in the models with Txxxxxx serial numbers, do serial numbers ending in "L", i.e., TxxxxxxL mean anything? Some claim that the "L" signifies that the head has a lower CG than other versions.