2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

DEC. 20 CHAT WITH TAYLORMADE (Read what TMag replied to all of your questions pg 12)

HipCheck

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Tumba' timestamp='1324405025' post='3966031']
Do you think we will ever see a driver from taylor made that can be adjusted for loft greater then up or down 1.5 degrees? Do you ever think there you will design a head that can be adjusted up or down 2 degrees or more?
[/quote]

We have been testing a 2-degree sleeve on Tour and [i]may [/i]introduce it to [size=2]market at a later date. In most cases, particularly on Tour, extreme changes to the FCT sleeves aren’t used as much for loft changes, but more specifically lie angle for a few players. A good example is Retief Goosen, who prefers an especially flat lie angle[/size].

- TO

[quote name='PingDaddy7' timestamp='1323918230' post='3941487']
Ok I can see people jumping on the new R11S just cause it's 460 as everyone was shocked to find out the R11's was only 440. Now the Rocketballz driver looks decents as do the fairway woods & the new bags for 2012 are real nice. Now for the RBZ irons, seriously no way as I thought the R11 irons were are nice addition but I'm shocked not even 3 months & now they are being pushed aside. Nice job marketing TM. I can see why more & more people are leaving TM as the only thing that keeps them is their big lucrative deals. I wouldn't mind hitting their new line up as there is no way I ever see myself switching as there is no way they are going to outperform the others like they so falsely advertize. LMAO
[/quote]

What I would say is go demo the clubs and see for yourself. TaylorMade is a performance and innovation company driven to continually improve golf equipment. We don’t launch product before its time, and we don’t launch face-lift product. We have a skilled team of engineers and product developers working every day to enhance performance to help you play better, no matter what skill level you are at.

The new RBZ irons significantly out-perform the Burner 2.0 irons. They are faster, longer, more accurate and feel better. Our extensive testing with players and on the robot show this. As the designer of the product and the one responsible for its performance, I stand by this. We have employed a number of technologiesinto the RBZ irons which take the concept of “8 individual clubs designed for a specific purpose” to the next level. The long irons are more innovative and longer. The metalwood type construction allows for a fast large face to increase speed, and the thin walls allow for weight to be distributed low and back to add forgiveness and highflight. Mid irons employ a CB design with ultra-thin faces for speed, and use our “toe-bar” to augment face flexionproducing a straighter, more accurate flight. And the wedges and short irons are streamlined and CG optimized to makethem more controllable and accurate for scoring. The wedges also use our new ATV sole design to allow better shot-making on approach shots and around the green. The RBZ is not intended to replace the R11 set of irons. They have different performance characterstics which appeal to different golfers. Again, I recommend that you try our new clubs, on a launch monitor if possible, to convince yourself that the performance benefit is there for you. I believe that you won’t be disappointed. -BW

I am so excited to get my hands on the RBZ 3 wood. I play the R11 TP driver.What are the advantages of the R11s to the 2011 version besides the 5 face adjustments?
Thank you for your time and love your product.
Found my answer in the previous questions; Thanks,

Another question, What adjustments will the RBZ rescue have?

Regarding your new wedges, I have played Vokeys for many years. BUT I always have to have specific grinds put on them as I play my 54* with one grind then my 60 with a completely different grind. I try different grinds now and then, but usually go back to the tried and true. How will these wedges feel when a player is used to a high bounce with heel relief and a low bounce heel & toe relief? Currently, my gamer bag is totally TM except for the wedges. I'd like to make it 100% but I'm EXTREMELY particular about these clubs. Thanks for taking your time for this forum. Skip

When will the new lines of irons,woods, and wedges be available at the TaylorMade Performace Labs around the country. Have bought a 2.5 hour fitting but want to wait until they have the new equipment.

Taylormade Stealth 2 12* Autoflex 505
Taylormade Stealth HD 3 5 7 woods Speeder

Taylormade Stealth HD 5-PW Ventus stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9 46 54 58
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
Titleist ProV1x. 

[quote name='TPC_Brad' timestamp='1323814415' post='3934781']
With the driver the FCT is used in both the rocket and the r11 drivers but why not in rocketballz fairway wood or hybrid.
[/quote]

The Speed Pocket and the FCT system would both be located in the same area of the sole and the complications from this causes durability issues.

And most fw/rescues are priced less than drivers, so we wanted to maximize the reach of the RocketBallz fw/rescues and rescues to the widest population of golfers by keeping the price affordable.

Since the RocketBallz fw/rescues are designed to the maximum performance benefit, they are more costly to product than a standard fw/rescue due to much tighter thickness tolerances and manufacturing controls needed for the Speed Pocket structure. -TO

[quote name='coozapalooza' timestamp='1324405205' post='3966047']
I get the sense through TaylorMade's marketing and official YouTube videos that you guys knew what kind of reaction a line name like "RocketBallz" would get. While the products obviously look fantastic regardless of what they're called, if this was the case and you felt like the name would bring ridicule, why not name it something else?

Thanks
[/quote]

[size="3"]One of the key ideas behind our new product naming is to create attention around the name and get people interested in trying the product. The name is memorable and has generated a lot of passion from everyone on here. We know that once you try the product you will be interested the exciting performance we have developed. [/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[size="3"]For those who tend to trash the name, remember, we are in a great industry that is about playing a sport to have fun. Is the name a little unique? Sure. It is very descriptive of the performance and we have seen that once you hear the name, it is very memorable. To this extent, it has been very successful, even though everyone chuckles the first time they hear it.[/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[size="3"]So lighten up people and have fun with it. :) -DC[/size]

Don't have a question, but want to convey my appreciation for the TP MC irons. They are an incredible iron and have really enhanced my enjoyment of the game. Thanks Taylormade!

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

[quote name='Kenny Lee II' timestamp='1324405727' post='3966133']
Please tell us more about the new Pentas! I ditched the overspinning ProVs when the Red came out and haven't looked back. I really like the current Penta, what performance characteristics have been upgraded or changed, and which, if any, were based on specific Tour staff feedback? Thanks!
[/quote]

Changes to the Penta TP golf ball are always designed around Tour feedback. In order to make the best performance products for the best players in the world, you have to listen to your top players, and we do.

When we talked to Tour players about improving the Penta TP in 2012, to a man they were adamant about not changing the short game performance of the golf ball. So we said, what if we can make the ball longer and softer feeling than the ball you have today and not change the mid- and short-game performance? They said that would be fantastic, and that's exactly what we did.

We softened the core compression of the golf ball which reduced some spin off the driver, making it longer as well as improving the overall feel of the golf ball. We're confident that if you like the current Penta TP, you'll like the new ball (Penta TP 5) even more.

- MF

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324405981' post='3966173']
I get the sense through TaylorMade's marketing and official YouTube videos that you guys knew what kind of reaction a line name like "RocketBallz" would get. While the products obviously look fantastic regardless of what they're called, if this was the case and you felt like the name would bring ridicule, why not name it something else?

Thanks
[/quote]

[size="3"]One of the key ideas behind our new product naming is to create attention around the name and get people interested in trying the product. The name is memorable and has generated a lot of passion from everyone on here. We know that once you try the product you will be interested the exciting performance we have developed. [/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[size="3"]For those who tend to trash the name, remember, we are in a great industry that is about playing a sport to have fun. Is the name a little unique? Sure. It is very descriptive of the performance and we have seen that once you hear the name, it is very memorable. To this extent, it has been very successful, even though everyone chuckles the first time they hear it.[/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[/quote]

Just try to say "I want RocketBallz" without smiling...not possible!

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324405981' post='3966173']

Thanks
[/quote]

[size="3"] [/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[/quote]

perfect response! LOL we all could take ourselves a little less serious and be better for it :)

Does TM plan to have a custom putter studio where the public can customise putters to there exact need's ie insert, head weight etc...

TaylorMade M6 10.5 GD-IZ 6
TaylorMade M1 15 GD-Di 7
TaylorMade PSi 3 Modus 120
TaylorMade P790 4-PW Modus 120
TaylorMade MG 52 Modus 120
TaylorMade HI-TOE 58 Modus 120
TaylorMade Spider Tour L-Neck

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324405443' post='3966087']
[quote name='littleprov1x' timestamp='1323993490' post='3945415']
Why did you abandon the removable face technology for the new wedge line and will you offer the new face technology for the old wedges?
[/quote]

In 2012, we are launching a new wedge line called ATV (forall-terrain versatility). It has manynew features including a unique sole design and face texture which allow it tobring excellent performance to a range of golfers. The universal sole design simplifies, formany, the confusion of bounce angles, camber, radii, and reliefs bevels. Itprovides a consistent level of shot-making from many conditions based on howthe club is used for different types of shots. You will want to try thisamazing wedge to see for yourself how easy it is to hit.

The wedge line does not employ the xFT face insert, aproduct decision based on the target golfers and mass appeal of the newproduct. This does not mean that we areabandoning xFT technology. Next year'swedge line may very well use it again, and we will continue to offerreplacement faces for consumers who wish to buy them. We have sampled and tested the new groove andmicro-textured faces on Tour in existing xFT product. Having the exchangeable face is a realadvantage for use to test new designs on Tour easily, without having to replaceentire wedges of Tour players. Thiscapability has allowed use to quickly design, make, and test new face andgrooce concepts to advance performance up to the limits of the currentrules. The decision has not yet beenmade as to if we should offer replacement xFT faces with new grooves andtexturing, but I must say that I like the idea. - BW

[/quote]

Please tell us more about the sole technology and how the "bounce" plays. What lofts will be available and what is the estimated effective bounce for leading edge shots vs. effective bounce where one opens the face up? I'm very interested in the ATV wedges. Thank you.

[quote name='Pro-Taylormade' timestamp='1324404605' post='3965961']
What is the difference between the R11 Fairway wood and the R11s Fairway Wood?
[/quote]

The R11 and R11S fairway wood clubheads are shaped identically, but the internals have been changed for the better. The R11S fairway has much improved sound, a slightly lower and more forward CG. The resulting improvement is more speed, higher launch and less spin for 5-7 yards more distance than the current R11 fairway in standard (neutral) settings. Additionally, we have the added more tuning to the R11S fairway wood with a new 1.5-degree FCT sleeve. Finally, we have a new RIP Phenom 70 shaft, which has gotten great reviews in our initial testing.

-TO

if you are going away from the TMaG paint scheme on the r11 line - it creates a potential issue for those of us who prefer seeing the GRAPHICS down at address. i play my r11 with an aftermarket shaft (motore speeder 6.2ts) in the lower position. the shaft was installed logo down. purchasing a stock shaft may be an issue for me - if the graphics are set in the STANDARD position. i'm sure a custom order will take care of that - but how does that affect the normal retail store trying to move product?

[quote name='itw419' timestamp='1323820477' post='3935223']
The technology is these new clubs seems awesome. Why not try to make them more appealing to the eye. I am fine with the white finish but the extra graphics on the woods and the look of the irons seems to turn a lot of players off. Just seems to me that combining the technology along with something more aesthetically pleasing would target a larger number of players.
[/quote]
One for the main goals for Rocketballz was to create moreappealing shapes to all golfers.

With the RocketBallz irons, we have had great comments fromour tour staff on the looks, particularly the short and mid irons. To createthe breakthrough in long irons, we have to make them a little bigger, but thegreat thing about our offerings, is that we have different shapes throughoutour iron line to appeal to all types of players. -TO

[quote name='TaylorMadeGolf' timestamp='1324405775' post='3966141']
[quote name='Tumba' timestamp='1324405025' post='3966031']
Do you think we will ever see a driver from taylor made that can be adjusted for loft greater then up or down 1.5 degrees? Do you ever think there you will design a head that can be adjusted up or down 2 degrees or more?
[/quote]

We have been testing a 2-degree sleeve on Tour and [i]may [/i]introduce it to [size="2"]market at a later date. In most cases, particularly on Tour, extreme changes to the FCT sleeves aren't used as much for loft changes, but more specifically lie angle for a few players. A good example is Retief Goosen, who prefers an especially flat lie angle[/size].

- TO
[/quote]

I think a driver with a more then 2-degree sleeve would be very beneficial for the average amateur player. Amatuer players swings change so much it would be wonderful to have a driver that would fit them through all their swing improvements.

What is so different about this slot technology in the rbz fairways that you can make such a bold statement about a drastic increase in distance? Nike and Adams have both coined this concept before but never really promised such gains. What is so different about the rbz fairway metal technology that you are comfortable making such an enticing statement about its benefits?

Can you explain the optical and performance benefits of the white color for hybrids, fwys and drivers. I've read about the effects for putting .. is it just alignment or ..... ??? Will white creep into irons?

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo