2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

To get my own membership or not...

$300 montly dues vs. $125 range card
I need a little help deciding what I should do regarding my parents membership and me not being allowed to play anymore. So at my course they have a rule that states all children are allowed to play on their parents account up to the age of 22. Well I'll be 23 in 2 weeks so I either have to become a member which isn't to bad but it's the monthly dues that would be hard. To join would be really cheap right now, under 2 grand but the monthly dues are right at $300 a month and after all my regular expenses that leaves me with under $200 for food or whatever "fun" things I may want to do. My other options is I could get a range card at the local range for about $125 and practice just as much but maybe get in only 2-3 rounds a month with what I'd save by not spending $300.

My dad is trying to help me figure out how to make this all work but unless my company gives me some unexpected raise my financials won't change at all.

So I'm here asking all of you. What should I do?

One part of me says buy the membership becasue I'm litterally there 3-4 days a week as it is but the other part of me says save the $150 and just practice a lot and play when I can. I have nothing against the range except being public the golf balls and grass aren't always the best, I've been spoiled at the country club for the last 7 years to say the least.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd lean more towards the membership but then again I'm not the one who's writing the check. It all depends on your spending. I've always had a pretty tight hand when it comes to money. It's not easy for me to spend money on something I don't need or really want.

My suggestion is to buy in bulk on food and things you need around the house. It'll save you alot of money on stuff you use/need on a regular basis.

[quote name='robbo32' timestamp='1324415828' post='3967373']
I need a little help deciding what I should do regarding my parents membership and me not being allowed to play anymore. So at my course they have a rule that states all children are allowed to play on their parents account up to the age of 22. Well I'll be 23 in 2 weeks so I either have to become a member which isn't to bad but it's the monthly dues that would be hard. To join would be really cheap right now, under 2 grand but the monthly dues are right at $300 a month and after all my regular expenses that leaves me with under $200 for food or whatever "fun" things I may want to do. My other options is I could get a range card at the local range for about $125 and practice just as much but maybe get in only 2-3 rounds a month with what I'd save by not spending $300.

My dad is trying to help me figure out how to make this all work but unless my company gives me some unexpected raise my financials won't change at all.

So I'm here asking all of you. What should I do?

One part of me says buy the membership becasue I'm litterally there 3-4 days a week as it is but the other part of me says save the $150 and just practice a lot and play when I can. I have nothing against the range except being public the golf balls and grass aren't always the best, I've been spoiled at the country club for the last 7 years to say the least.
[/quote]

Do any of the courses have a Player Development Program - PDA? I pay $42 a month after taxes for unlimited range and play anytime Tues - Wed or after 1:30 all other days for a $17 cart fee. The course is not exclusive but it's not a muni, and always in good shape. It's probably the best range in the area plus they get new balls every quarter.

Doesn't sound like a membership is in your budget at this point IMO.

I'm really interested in people's opinions here as well.

I turned 23 earlier this year and am also in the market for membership options, but my parents aren't members anywhere and don't live close anyways so I'm not in the category of getting a break with a legacy initiation fee. So far I think my best option has been a membership to a semi-private club (one at $150, another at $175 per month) over a private club or a range plan somewhere. The private clubs I have looked at or am looking at would be a pretty tough strain on my budget, do-able but tough. Especially after taking into consideration a monthly or quarterly food and beverage minimums that all the private clubs I've been interested in have.

So, my vote would be to not do either of the options you're considering right now and to shop around with some more clubs in your area. Most clubs I've been to to talk memberships with really need members right now and are putting out some pretty good incentives to get people to join. Especially in these winter months.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think if I monitered my spending a little more and stayed away from the BST I'd be able to make the $300 work. My biggest concern is that I'd loose parts of my game like being able to scramble and get up and down if I jsut became a range rat. I have checked with some other courses but the next closest reasonable course is pretty close to an hour away and my current course is 3 minutes from my drive way to the course parking lot. I will check into a Jr. Membership because I belive a co worker of mine did that at his fathers course till he hit 29 I belive, then it was time top move to full membership.

My two biggest concerns is not playing and just praciting but at the same time I like to have more than $200 in my bank account.

I'm a pretty good example of your worries here. I became a range rat this year because I didn't want to have to pay the extra money to play vs. just practice. My game suffered pretty severely. That's why I'm looking for a membership somewhere so I can get back to playing equally as much as I practice. And try to get my game back on track. I know your worries about feel aspects of your game suffering are legit, from experience unfortunately.

Some of you arent going to like this post, so let me say first, dont take my comments personal.

Its really time for you as a 23 year old to grow up and begin looking down the road and to figure out that golf wont be the center of your life for the next 40 years, unless you can actually make a living playing golf. There are events ahead that will have the impact of reducing your golf time anyway,,ie love, marriage, children, and your work career. Then there is also the need to begin saving for your future retirement.

If spending 300 per month is stretching your budget, my guess is that your savings account isnt very healthy either. Its time to start building a savings safety net for emergencies that will eventually arise so that you wont have to look elsewhere for someone to bail you out of the problem.

Its fairly clear to me that based on your current income level, without the help of your parents, you really cant afford to play all that much golf anyway, and there are certainly more important things that you could use the money for instead of playing golf.

The good news is that when you do have the financial ability to afford golf in the future, its likely that within 3-6 months you can recover nearly all or all of your skills and be right back where you are now, minus a bit of distance,,but not enough to actually hurt your game.

I didn't join a club until I was 33. Played municipal courses and had a great time. Might have to again as my club may be closing in a few months.(see closing course thread) Your Dad can tell you this about your club, but many clubs have to assess members for any extraordinary expenses that may come up during a year. Are you able/willing to suck up any extra fees that may come your way?

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Rv, good post.

I'm 29 and chose to give up my membership because of school commitments, and now the birth of my daughter. Golf has to take a backseat, which is hard because for 3 years I played nearly every day, but ou gotta do what you gotta do. Cheaper options exist, discounts are abundant in these tough times, so maybe your home course will work with you.

What does Dave Ramsey say? Live like no one else so you can live like vo one else?

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='rvgolfer' timestamp='1324477121' post='3970425']
Some of you arent going to like this post, so let me say first, dont take my comments personal.

Its really time for you as a 23 year old to grow up and begin looking down the road and to figure out that golf wont be the center of your life for the next 40 years, unless you can actually make a living playing golf. There are events ahead that will have the impact of reducing your golf time anyway,,ie love, marriage, children, and your work career. Then there is also the need to begin saving for your future retirement.

If spending 300 per month is stretching your budget, my guess is that your savings account isnt very healthy either. Its time to start building a savings safety net for emergencies that will eventually arise so that you wont have to look elsewhere for someone to bail you out of the problem.

Its fairly clear to me that based on your current income level, without the help of your parents, you really cant afford to play all that much golf anyway, and there are certainly more important things that you could use the money for instead of playing golf.

The good news is that when you do have the financial ability to afford golf in the future, its likely that within 3-6 months you can recover nearly all or all of your skills and be right back where you are now, minus a bit of distance,,but not enough to actually hurt your game.
[/quote]
You make a really good point actually. I love the game just like everyone here but I guess since It's something I'm so passionate about I would just hate to not be able to play like I've been able to. Going to school and exceling in work is more important than golf.

Like I said I'd just hate not being able to play like I've been able to for so many years now.

[quote name='robbo32' timestamp='1324505711' post='3972481']
[quote name='rvgolfer' timestamp='1324477121' post='3970425']

[/quote]
You make a really good point actually. I love the game just like everyone here but I guess since It's something I'm so passionate about I would just hate to not be able to play like I've been able to. Going to school and exceling in work is more important than golf.

Like I said I'd just hate not being able to play like I've been able to for so many years now.
[/quote]

Good points have been made about making sure your finances and priorities are taken care of first. But I'm assuming you already have taken care of budgeting for expected and unexpected expenses and savings before even considering a CC membership for golf. It would be dumb to even consider a membership without having done that first IMO.

While I read part of rvgolfer's post as "don't play golf for now until you make more money. spend your money on other more important things," I'm guessing that is not exactly what he means. I think the main point of everyone's comments are suggesting that you don't have to be a member of a private CC in order to play golf. There are much less costly ways to continue to enjoy golf, but you will have to suck it up and sacrifice the CC service and course maintenance.

I'll look more into less costly ways of playing. I've seen the deals out there but obviously I've never had to really pay attention since I was fortunate enough to be able to play so close to home at my parents expense. I know I'll still be able to practice quite a bit and keep my game close to what im used to but like I had said it just sucks that I won't be able to play so freely like I've been able to.

I have taken into consideration all costs that can be expected and unexpected before even thinking about purchasing a membership. I just know that with the monthly dues I wouldn't have enough savings to keep myslef feeling safe incase something unexpected came up and like we all know that happens. Just last week actually I had to buy new truck tires that I wasn't expecting to buy for atleast another 3 months or so, yay for a $900 set of tires.

Since I made the post I have also thought about some good that could come out of me not being able to play at the CC anymore. It'll keep me on an adventure to find new and well priced places to play for both my buddies and I and for my parents and I too.

I really enjoy all of the responses that you guys have given me so far and I really appreciate it. Hopefully I didn't portray some snobby stuck up CC kid who has just been delt his first reality check with out the help from mommy and daddy.

This is a really good thread and it says a lot about the current state of the "private club industry". Clearly the clubs with the high profile clientele will always be fine but the middle of the road private clubs are really struggling at this point. Though I'm at a different point in my life I find that I have the same issues regarding joining a private club. Even though I'm older (50) and have an excellent job/income, I also live in an area (Hamptons, NY) that the private clubs come with exorbitant initiation fees and monthly dues. Add to this a couple kids in college (the cheapest is about $30,000 bond over 5 years with monthly dues in the $800 - $1000 range) and my private club aspirations go out the window!:russian_roulette:The upside is that I get to play 5 or 6 different courses on a regular basis, and I've gotten to meet some really great people in the process (not to mention I've saved a boat load of cash so I can help my kids out with their tuition!!!) Life is good! Best of luck in your quest for great golf!

[quote name='robbo32' timestamp='1324505711' post='3972481']
[/quote]

In some cases, you can appeal to the membership committee to defer your first few years fees out a few years. They don't want to lose a potential long term member. Deferring your first few years fees, or even half of them, would be well worth it to them - depending on how their membership is doing. I have to imagine in NorCal, the economy isn't so great that they are not interested in working with young people who want to stay and be a part of the club.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

you could just signup for the jr. membership/dependent membership like normal and see if they say anything... then plead ignorance if they figure it out... cheating the system, yes, but doubtful they catch you

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5