VR Pro Dual Sole Wedges - 56 and 60

Thanks to WRX and Nike Golf for providing me the opportunity to test these new wedges. Before we get into the review here's a little background. I'm a 6 handicap and have a decent short game. My current wedge setup is Nike VR Pro 54* and 58* with KBS Tour S shafts, both wedges 2* flat of standard. So I requested the same specs, except I opted for the 56* and 60* wedges in the new Nike VR Pro Dual Sole.

I received the wedges in early December and have 5 rounds and two range sessions with them, enough to provide a review. So here we go.....

LOOKS

Like many here, if the club doesn't look right at address it's most likely not going to make my bag even if performs well. That's not an issue with these Nike wedges. Having obviously played the VR Pro wedges I figured these new Dual Sole wedges would look great...and they do! They have a classic teardrop shape which is my preferred look in wedges.

My only concern out of the gate with these wedges was the potential for glare from the chrome / platinum finish. I prefer a dull look (current wedges are black oxide), but these wedges don't have much glare. The groove area has a duller finish than the other part of the face and back, so I didn't notice any significant glare playing in the Florida sun. After some time the face finish becomes more dull looking, which is even better.

FEEL

These wedges felt great right out of the box. Nike lists the SW at D4 - D6 and both were right at D5 on my Golfsmith scale (not digital, so there could a slight variance). I chipped around the house a bit and really liked the feel and sound. There's a muted click at impact and nice feedback, not mushy or soft, but not hard....just solid. This feel carried out onto the course for chips / pitches, short shots and full shots.

Feedback across all shots is great. I could tell when I hit it a bit high or low on the face from the rough. It wasn't a punishing feel, but it wasn't the same great feeling I got when hitting one on the sweet spot.

PEFORMANCE

I don't want to do a full blown comparison of these wedges with my other Nike wedges, but will say that the Dual Sole design in a significant improvement over the current VR Pro line. These Dual Sole wedges really shine around the greens when I need to open or close the face for a specific shot. The sole design also helps a bunch from the rough and sand, and from soft lies, because the design of the sole allows the wedge to slide through the sand / turf with ease.

The sole grind also allowed me to open the face on firmer lies without bouncing the club into the ball. The DS grind puts the leading edge of the wedge lower at address when opened, so it's easier to play these shots when needed.

All shots - full, half, pitches / chips, etc - were a breeze with these wedges.

Since wedges are scoring clubs, I typically don't focus on distance. But I was surprised to see that I hit these wedges the same distance as my 54* and 58* setup. I didn't measure the lofts, but assuming they are accurate, it looks like I am able to pick up 2* of loft without sacrificing distance (roughly 5 or 6 yards otherwise). And I picked up some spin, which is always a great thing around the greens.

My only issue with these wedges (if I can even call it one) is that they spun a TON on short shots. This isn't a bad thing, but was somewhat unexpected because I have been playing Nike wedges with X3X grooves. Only thing I can conclude is that the sole design creates cleaner contact on those shots. It took me a couple of rounds to make the adjustment to carrying those shots a bit further to the target and expecting less roll.

While the grooves provide plenty of spin they do not chew up the cover of a golf ball. In fact I didn't see any 'groove rash' from the full shots I hit with either the 56* or 60*.

CONCLUSION

These are in the bag and aren't coming out any time soon. I stopped playing a 60* wedge a few years ago because it got me in more trouble than it helped, but I'm glad to say that I can play this one as well or better than I can play a 58*. It's not a huge difference, but it gives me a bit more spin and versatility around the green.

Again, a big THANKS to WRX and Nike Golf!!!!

Feel free to ask questions.

Kevin

PICTURES

New (the VR Pro and VR Pro DS are basically the same size, but the perspective of some of the pics makes it look otherwise)

After 5 rounds and 2 range sessions:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dual sole design basically provides some relief in the back part of the wedge's sole which makes the leading edge sit a bit lower to the ground at address. I find that it helps get the leading edge under the ball on firmer lies. It also allows the wedge to slide through the sand and rough easier.

It would help any time you are opening the face, especially from firmer lies.

Kevin

[quote name='tpariff' timestamp='1326342836' post='4069673']
The dual sole design basically provides some relief in the back part of the wedge's sole which makes the leading edge sit a bit lower to the ground at address. I find that it helps get the leading edge under the ball on firmer lies. It also allows the wedge to slide through the sand and rough easier.

Kevin
[/quote]

oh ok, thanks for your response. so your saying it has a smaller bounce when the face is open?

[quote name='tclee16' timestamp='1326385526' post='4071359']
[quote name='tpariff' timestamp='1326342836' post='4069673']

Kevin
[/quote]

oh ok, thanks for your response. so your saying it has a smaller bounce when the face is open?
[/quote]

I suppose it would but am not sure - too technical for me. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the 56 and 60 degree yesterday and traded my VR forged 56* and ping anser 60* after hitting the VR Pro DS. I was looking for the same feel if not better. I loved the feel of the VR because it told me when I had a mishit and then the Ping Anser looks great and feels great BUT I never got the feel I wanted when I had a mishit. So I went to golfsmith looking for a 60* and when I started hitting it I was amazed that I was about to get the same type feel out of the forged feel. I was able to get the distance I was looking for on full swings. I already have a Nike dominant bag so I decided that I wanted the DS and while I was at it I hit the 56* and well I loved it just as much. It gave me a better forged feel than my VR. I will be able to get out next weekend hopefully (as long as it doesn't snow) and I will get onto the course and put these bad boys into play.

[size=4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway x2 Hot 2 Deep Tour Green
Callaway x2 Hot 5 Deep Tour Green
Nike Vapor Flex 21* Kuro Kage
Cleveland 588 TT 6-PW (main set)
Cobra F7 Forged One Length 4-PW (testing out to see how they work for me)
Cleveland 588 RTX 50*,56*, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind 60*[/font][/size]
Odyssey O-Works #7[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/products/golf-clubs/odyssey-putters/o-works/putters-2017-o-works-7-wbw-ss.html"] [/url]

traded my Japan tour issue original 588 rtg's for these and I have never looked back. They do spin more on short shots and only needed the 56* on an over bunker flop shot with 4ft of green to work with. Great Job Nike!

Cleveland TL310 8.5 Grafalloy Old Blue X
Baldo Competzione 18*  Graf Old Blue X

Baldo Competzione 21* UST Elements Chrome X
Cleveland 588 Pro CB KBS Tour X 4-PW
Ping Glide 3.0 50*  KBS T X, Baldo 54/ 58 KBS Tour X
Wilson 8802
TM TP5

Can't wait to put these into the bag! Any input on what shaft offers the best spin with these?

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b][color=#000000]Titleist TS3 10.5[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 9.2 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist TS3 13.5[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Aldila NV 95 x-flex[/color]--[color=#000000]-Titleist TS3 18.0[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Fujikura Fit-On Pro 95 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #3[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #5-#9[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]--[color=#000000]-Vokey SM7 46.10 F Grind[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 52.12 F Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 56.10 S Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 60.04 L Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Newport II[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Newport 2.5 350g.[/color] [color=#000000]welded neck[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Concept 2.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist ProV1x[/color][/b][/font][/size]

• 1 year later...

Can anyone comment on the Mitzy MP R-12's Vs these?...in terms of bunker shots like how easy is it to get the club under the ball opened up, and wht kind of spin or stopping once the green is hit on regular sand, regular depth sand lies.
Also since the Nike wedges spin more...and roll out less, would it be smarter to go with the 54, 58 set up, as I dont want to chip harder and fly my chips around the green closer to the pin with the 56, as they stop more, I see this as adding more margin to error...if so what are the bounces of these?. Does the 54 work well out of the sand? or the 56 is better?. Also I like to hit my gap wedge out of the sand on longer bunker shots, what is the sole like on a lower lofted nike wedge? does it have the same grind?

Driver: Adams XTDTi 10.5 / Matrix 6Q3 R
3W Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 Matrix 8Q3 S
3Hy: TEE XCG6 19* UST V2 90gm X
Irons:Hogan Apex 99 Blades Aerotech 110
Wedges Mizuno MPR12: 54* & 58*
Miura MP 005 Special Edition-Face Bal