High Speed Guys: 2024 ball? Need to decide on a ball for this year.

Rosco1216

Looking for advice from the high speed guys(120+) on what ball to try next.  Biggest requirement is low spin and flight with irons. I’ve spun waaay too many mid/short irons and flighted wedges off the greens this spring. 

Requirements: 

Irons/fuller wedges: low spin and low flight 

driver: low spin, midish launch. 
greenside: obviously I’m not going to find something high spin greenside given other criteria but need something that I can spin. 
feel: not mushy but not too clicky either. 
cover durability: average or better.

I’ve traditionally played Bridgestone tour B X. In 2022 I tested the tp5x but stayed with the tour B.  I found the balls comparable in terms of performance but the 2022 tp5x cover was a no go in terms of durability. 9 holes with the 2022 tp5x look similar or worse than 36 for the 2022 tour BX.  I don’t lose balls much so i prefer to get some life out balls I use. I played the 2022 tour BX for all of 2022 and 2023 and then have been trying a few different balls this spring. 2024 tour b x is a no go for me this year. Way too much spin with short irons.  I’ve just went through a dozen of 2024 tp5x and they worked well enough so those are what I’ll continue to play unless I find something else. 

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

ProV1x left dash? IS the ProV1 still too spinny for you?

Buddy of mine plays the Bridgestone BRX. Might not be quite as fast as you but close. 

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

I've been testing Chrome tour x and Chrome tour. They both feel great, cover is very durable. These seem to have some speed as well. I'd say the Chrome Tour definitely launches a touch lower and spins a little less. But honestly I didn't notice anything really floating or spinning up with either. Greenside control its definitely the Chrome Tour X. I play in the wind all year here so having spin control is a big thing plus I also swing 7i 101-103, driver 124-128. 

Give these Callaways a try, ive switched from Left Dash and I played those for about 2 years I think. 

• Like 4

I echo TJ83 - switched to Chrome Tour X this year and it’s fantastic. First tried the TP5X and definitely prefer the Callaway. It’s longer for me with better short game action. Wedges one hope stop on partial shots and full swing rip pretty good. Very happy with the switch thus far. 

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke TD 8 degree w/ Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex, Adams Idea Pro 23 X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Tour Issue DG X100 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X

6 hours ago, Seidinho said:

ProV1x left dash? IS the ProV1 still too spinny for you?

Buddy of mine plays the Bridgestone BRX. Might not be quite as fast as you but close. 

X2. Try the Left Dash. I think it feels awesome, and I haven't had trouble with the ball pulling off the green like I did before.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, TJ83 said:

I've been testing Chrome tour x and Chrome tour. They both feel great, cover is very durable. These seem to have some speed as well. I'd say the Chrome Tour definitely launches a touch lower and spins a little less. But honestly I didn't notice anything really floating or spinning up with either. Greenside control its definitely the Chrome Tour X. I play in the wind all year here so having spin control is a big thing plus I also swing 7i 101-103, driver 124-128. 

Give these Callaways a try, ive switched from Left Dash and I played those for about 2 years I think. 

I’ll pick up a sleeve of each today at the club before my evening 9 holes after work.  Which model are you gravitating towards? 

• Like 1

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

3 minutes ago, LinkLow said:

X2. Try the Left Dash. I think it feels awesome, and I haven't had trouble with the ball pulling off the green like I did before.

Left dash’s higher flight has me tentative. 

Piretti Savona 

CTX will bring down flight, give you excellent iron control.  For the faster guys, CTX has really great feedback.  If you feel it's too firm, then try CT

• Like 2

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

Hate to heart that about the Tour B X - that was a great ball, and my second choice after Chromesoft X.  I would also echo the Chrome Tour X.  If you want to find a bargain, you could search ebay for Chromesoft X - very little difference (if any).  Ping Ballnamic recommended Chromesoft X and Tour B X for me, and I've seen the benefits of those ever since.  I'm not quite where you are speed-wise - 115-118mph.  

Driver: Taylormade Qi10LS, Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X. (Fit by Truespec North Georgia 2024)

3W: Taylormade Sim Max, Accra FX 2.0 200 M3. (Fit by Club Champion Atlanta 2019)

2I: Ping iCrossover, Fujikura Axiom 105X. (Self-fit 2024)

4I-PW: Callaway Rogue ST Pro, Fujikura Axiom 105X. (Self-fit 2023)

Wedges: 47, 51, 59 Edison Forged, Mitsubishi MMT 125 TX. (Self-fit 2021)

Putter: LAB Golf DF 2.1 (Self-fit 2022)

Ball: Chromesoft X (Fit by Ping's Ballnamic system).

Bag: MNML.

Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart.

Shoes: Asics Gel Kayano Ace.

Have you tried the AVX? On paper it seems to be designed to do exactly what you're asking for. Maybe too soft for what you are looking for but it's supposed to knock down spin and trajectory while maintaining greenside spin thru a softer cover, maybe some durability concerns? 

I don't know many who play it but I've considered it several times, right after I hit a flushed 7i that peaks at 140 feet and the "slight breeze" takes it 20 yards offline...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rosco1216 said:

Left dash’s higher flight has me tentative. 

For what it is worth, I did the Ping Ballnamic and on one of my runs it gave me the left dash because it has a wind score of 92.  I listed my current ball as the 22 AVX, which has a wind score of 100.  Interestingly, the peak height for the left dash was only about 1.5 feet higher than the AVX.  I don't have your speed (107 mph with the driver is about all I've got right now), so this might not apply to you very well, but I found it interesting that the Ping considers the left dash a good wind ball for me in spite of Titleist saying that it should fly high.  For what it is worth, ballnamic also told me that Pro V1 would be a good wind ball for me, with a wind score of 98 and a peak height similar to the left dash.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

7 minutes ago, Long_Left said:

Have you tried the AVX? On paper it seems to be designed to do exactly what you're asking for. Maybe too soft for what you are looking for but it's supposed to knock down spin and trajectory while maintaining greenside spin thru a softer cover, maybe some durability concerns? 

I don't know many who play it but I've considered it several times, right after I hit a flushed 7i that peaks at 140 feet and the "slight breeze" takes it 20 yards offline...

I tried it years ago but found it much too soft for my liking. 

• Like 1

Piretti Savona 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, tsecor said:

the best ball is the V1x for what you seek.....

I’ve tried them. Too much spin on approach shots. Prefer the V1 over the X in terms of general performance.

Edited by Rosco1216

Piretti Savona 

3 minutes ago, Rosco1216 said:

I’ve tried them. Too much spin on approach shots. Prefer the V1 over the X in terms of general performance.

I'm not quite as fast as you're looking for, I peak about 115 with driver but...

The Snell MTB-X was a phenomenal ball for me a few years ago, best ball I've ever played when it came to fighting wind, didn't spin back crazy amounts inside 150 and didn't balloon on me into wind. I never got to really test the Prime series, I had moved on to the Vice Pro Plus, it flies higher than I'd like but ticks the rest of the boxes.

With both Vice and Snell releasing their newest versions in the past few weeks I'm looking forward to pitting them head to head, the new Snell 4.0 vs the new Pro Plus. I've yet to see anything online about real world results and my life is crazy enough that I'm not playing a ton, but by mid summer I'll be in full test mode for the fall tournament schedule.

10 hours ago, Rosco1216 said:

Looking for advice from the high speed guys(120+) on what ball to try next.  Biggest requirement is low spin and flight with irons. I’ve spun waaay too many mid/short irons and flighted wedges off the greens this spring. 

Requirements: 

Irons/fuller wedges: low spin and low flight 

driver: low spin, midish launch. 
greenside: obviously I’m not going to find something high spin greenside given other criteria but need something that I can spin. 
feel: not mushy but not too clicky either. 
cover durability: average or better.

I’ve traditionally played Bridgestone tour B X. In 2022 I tested the tp5x but stayed with the tour B.  I found the balls comparable in terms of performance but the 2022 tp5x cover was a no go in terms of durability. 9 holes with the 2022 tp5x look similar or worse than 36 for the 2022 tour BX.  I don’t lose balls much so i prefer to get some life out balls I use. I played the 2022 tour BX for all of 2022 and 2023 and then have been trying a few different balls this spring. 2024 tour b x is a no go for me this year. Way too much spin with short irons.  I’ve just went through a dozen of 2024 tp5x and they worked well enough so those are what I’ll continue to play unless I find something else. 

From what I’ve seen and read the Callaway Chrome Tour, Wilson X, and Titleist AVX are the lowest spinning balls off the irons. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

49 minutes ago, Rosco1216 said:

Yeah, the V1X is one the highest spinning balls off irons. Definitely would not be a good fit for you.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Seems like you'd be a candidate to the Left Dot Pro V1.  But yeah, sky high prices right now if you find some for sale.  🤞 that Titleist will release them again. 

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9*- Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 60 X-Stiff

Fairway Woods: Titleist TSR3 15* Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 70 X-Stiff

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8 X-Stiff

Irons: Titleist T100(2019) 3, 5-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50* KBS C-Taper 130X, 54* & 58* KBS 610 Wedge 125.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1(2023)

23 minutes ago, Drewhill44 said:

Seems like you'd be a candidate to the Left Dot Pro V1.  But yeah, sky high prices right now if you find some for sale.  🤞 that Titleist will release them again. 

True statement!

Piretti Savona 

5 hours ago, Rosco1216 said:

I’ll pick up a sleeve of each today at the club before my evening 9 holes after work.  Which model are you gravitating towards? 

I kinda like the Chrome Tour X. I like the greenside control, could also be because it's super dry here, but that extra grab on chips and pitches is comforting knowing I have some kind of control. Wedge (75-150) shots with both still have spin, however I'm on Bermuda out here so only in wet season does it rip back here. 

Give it shot, sleeves won't hurt lol. Let me know what you think. I was pleasantly surprised by them. 

3 hours ago, Rosco1216 said:

Do you take full swings on your approach shots?
If so why not try clubbing up and take a 3/4 swing, it’ll lower the ball flight and spin and check hard but won’t come ripping back. 

I don’t mean any offense by this but when I see these topics I’m just generally perplexed how high speed tour guys will play Pro V1/V1X but on here they spin too much. 

I’m high speed but I always come back to the mantra of starting at the green and working my way back from there. Because of this I always come back to the V1 or V1X bc of the control they offer at the green. I was the same with ripping balls back off the green but stopped taking full swing with wedges and began clubbing up and taking some off. 
I understand you can adjust for the roll-out with other balls but sometimes depending on pin placement that’s not an option. 

I will say I am impressed with the TP5x this year (haven’t tried the new TP5) and it might be my ball this year but the V1X is still the GOAT around the green. 

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and always enjoy hearing others’ perspectives. 👊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TJ83 said:

Agree.  Like you I played the left dash for awhile.  Vice Pro Plus was also in the rotation and that was lower launching and definitely low spin.  I remember seeing chart saying that the Pro Plus was the lowest spin out of all the urethane balls.  I've found my ball for this year which is the CSX.  It's literally the closest thing to perfect.  Higher ball speeds, enough spin with irons, and checks nicely around the greens.  I thought I would fit into the CT but I found it too low spin. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, Long_Left said:

I'm not quite as fast as you're looking for, I peak about 115 with driver but...

The Snell MTB-X was a phenomenal ball for me a few years ago, best ball I've ever played when it came to fighting wind, didn't spin back crazy amounts inside 150 and didn't balloon on me into wind. I never got to really test the Prime series, I had moved on to the Vice Pro Plus, it flies higher than I'd like but ticks the rest of the boxes.

With both Vice and Snell releasing their newest versions in the past few weeks I'm looking forward to pitting them head to head, the new Snell 4.0 vs the new Pro Plus. I've yet to see anything online about real world results and my life is crazy enough that I'm not playing a ton, but by mid summer I'll be in full test mode for the fall tournament schedule.

New Pro Plus is supposed to spin more than the previous gen.  I will pick up a box to test regardless to see for myself. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

25 minutes ago, danielryanw said:

Do you take full swings on your approach shots?
If so why not try clubbing up and take a 3/4 swing, it’ll lower the ball flight and spin and check hard but won’t come ripping back. 

I don’t mean any offense by this but when I see these topics I’m just generally perplexed how high speed tour guys will play Pro V1/V1X but on here they spin too much. 

I’m high speed but I always come back to the mantra of starting at the green and working my way back from there. Because of this I always come back to the V1 or V1X bc of the control they offer at the green. I was the same with ripping balls back off the green but stopped taking full swing with wedges and began clubbing up and taking some off. 
I understand you can adjust for the roll-out with other balls but sometimes depending on pin placement that’s not an option. 

I will say I am impressed with the TP5x this year (haven’t tried the new TP5) and it might be my ball this year but the V1X is still the GOAT around the green. 

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and always enjoy hearing others’ perspectives. 👊

Never swing even remotely close to full with any mid/short/wedge on approaches. Always flight it and 3/4. 

• Like 1

Piretti Savona