Hawaii GolfWRX'ers Hale Wala'au

pitbull808

[quote name='BENNYSUPREME' timestamp='1301799980' post='3113665']
Is it really that bad? Remind me to never play there.
[/quote]

I'm talking about a time.....over 35 years ago. :cry: No idea if it's gotten much better since then.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='pitbull808' timestamp='1301797815' post='3113570']
[quote name='rok78' timestamp='1301725393' post='3111661']
Actually got out to play 9 holes at Kahuku today. That course wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, greens were slow and bumpy but not as bad as I had imagined it. The views were great and it was fun to mess around. I don't know if it's worth the gas money to drive out there, but it's great for the greens fee and I would play it again if I were in the area.
[/quote]

Dannnnngggg Rick. Is that the only way you can golf now...go all the way out to Kahuku to hide from your wife???!!! :cheesy: What in the world made you go there? The last time I played 18 there was when I was 10 years old and I had no choice..it was where they sent us 8-10 year old junior golfers! :blush: I remember they let us lift/clean/cheat and we'd put our balls on a weed so we'd not be hitting off sand in the fairways!:D
[/quote]

No, I was in the area for a lesson and decided to try it since I never played there before. It wasn't that bad. The fairway is bumpy, but there's grass. The sand in the bunkers are great (recently replaced I heard). The greens suck, but there was grass and it rolled good enough. Just slow and bumpy. But the only course with similar views of the ocean I can think of is Klipper. Wide open links style like nothing else I've played. It was fun and worth $6.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

[quote name='rok78' timestamp='1301805882' post='3113840']

No, I was in the area for a [b]lesson[/b] and decided to try it since I never played there before. It wasn't that bad. The fairway is bumpy, but there's grass. The sand in the bunkers are great (recently replaced I heard). The greens suck, but there was grass and it rolled good enough. Just slow and bumpy. But the only course with similar views of the ocean I can think of is Klipper. Wide open links style like nothing else I've played. It was fun and worth $6.
[/quote]

Lesson??? Oh oh..are we going to have to fear the Rickster on his next free day with us???!! :D

I should hope they have new sand..they just have to sneak some buckets at night from the beach. :beach: $6??? definitely a bargain....especially with gas prices to get there. ;)

[quote name='pitbull808' timestamp='1301854655' post='3114743']

No, I was in the area for a [b]lesson[/b] and decided to try it since I never played there before. It wasn't that bad. The fairway is bumpy, but there's grass. The sand in the bunkers are great (recently replaced I heard). The greens suck, but there was grass and it rolled good enough. Just slow and bumpy. But the only course with similar views of the ocean I can think of is Klipper. Wide open links style like nothing else I've played. It was fun and worth $6.
[/quote]

Lesson??? Oh oh..are we going to have to fear the Rickster on his next free day with us???!! :D

I should hope they have new sand..they just have to sneak some buckets at night from the beach. :beach: $6??? definitely a bargain....especially with gas prices to get there. ;)
[/quote]

Nothing to fear, I didn't say what the lesson was in :secret:.

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

• 2 weeks later...

Wow..the R&R people must have saw $$$$ signs today when the 4 ho-rsemen walked in! :cheesy: Quite the surprise running into Mach1, mauiatheart and Xsfspeed as I walked to my special duty today. As I walked by Brandon told me the three of you were inside like he thought I knew already. I guess it's a good thing I had to go to work otherwise I might have ended up spending some money. At least in the fifteen minutes I was there I left with my wallet intact...although there was a club put on hold for later looking. :blush:

[quote name='pitbull808' timestamp='1302673496' post='3149111']
Wow..the R&R people must have saw $$$$ signs today when the 4 ho-rsemen walked in! :cheesy: Quite the surprise running into Mach1, mauiatheart and Xsfspeed as I walked to my special duty today. As I walked by Brandon told me the three of you were inside like he thought I knew already. I guess it's a good thing I had to go to work otherwise I might have ended up spending some money. At least in the fifteen minutes I was there I left with my wallet intact...although there was a club put on hold for later looking. :blush:
[/quote]

The 4 Ho-rsemen of the apocalypse! Lucky you! My wallet did not leave intact. :black eye: No thanks to my "enablers", the new monster has been built. All ready for a test run.

Just in case some of you guys missed the radio show "The Golf Club" with Danielle Tucker....here's a link to the recording of the show. Our own "da master 808" was on it talking about his shop Aloha Golf Center.

[url="http://www.hernco.com/golfclub/radio/2011/41611gc.mp3"]TheGolfClub 4-16-2011[/url]

Nice meeting a fellow GolfWRX member yesterday. I sold a golf bag on Craigslist and after some small talk found out he was also a member of Gwrx. No be shy David..come talk story with the rest of the bruddahs here! Aloha!

• 4 weeks later...

Had a nice time last night at Newtown Driving range with Mauiatheart, Da Master 808, Mach 1 and two other friends. Seems like Monday at Newtown is becoming a mini Gwrx outing as we and some other members have made their way there in the last year. As the evening went we went from 2 to 5 stalls. Great evening of testing numerous drivers including Mach 1's Yamaha and his new Miura wedges and Maui's Blade golf muscle backs. :D

• 2 months later...

No, I was in the area for a lesson and decided to try it since I never played there before. It wasn't that bad. The fairway is bumpy, but there's grass. The sand in the bunkers are great (recently replaced I heard). The greens suck, but there was grass and it rolled good enough. Just slow and bumpy. But the only course with similar views of the ocean I can think of is Klipper. Wide open links style like nothing else I've played. It was fun and worth $6.
[/quote]

$6?!?!? Gee, not trying to show my age or how long its been since I've golfed, but the last time I played Kahuku, fees were $2!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='GOLF808' timestamp='1319310647' post='3705307']
Howzit guys, got a question for the experienced hoes in here. I'm looking to get some new clubs, but have a bunch of old stuff to get rid of. Who gives the best trade in value? RD or R&R or other?
Mucho Mahalos!
[/quote]

Depending on what you have and how old is old. RD will give you PGA value guide prices minus a few percent. R&R will give you about 15% off of Ebay going rates. If it's old old...I've found it sometimes better just to list it low on ebay and hope for the best. :yes:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Coughlin is an idiot. If he went for the extra point instead of two, I would have a new Betti on its way. But noooooo, he has to be stupid. I didn't like the Giants before, now I hate them with a burning passion. Thinking of starting the tomcoughlinisthedumbestcoachinhistory.com. Oh well. It was a good game never the less. Congrats to the Giants players.

[quote name='mauiatheart' timestamp='1328503345' post='4221947']
Coughlin is an idiot. If he went for the extra point instead of two, I would have a new Betti on its way. But noooooo, he has to be stupid. I didn't like the Giants before, now I hate them with a burning passion. Thinking of starting the tomcoughlinisthedumbestcoachinhistory.com. Oh well. It was a good game never the less. Congrats to the Giants players.
[/quote]

LMAO..if you think that's bad...my friend needed a field goal by the Giants to win a 1k block he bought...but the guy fell in the end zone!

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Redhaze737' timestamp='1340047744' post='5122706']
Hey guys, I'm looking for a local pro who is technically knowledgeable about the golf swing. Someone who can answer all my questions and knows the golf swing inside and out. Probably someone who has video recording capabilities, etc. Who, in your opinion, is the best teaching pro on Oahu? Anyone really good?
[/quote]

I've been working with Joey Tadeo for the last year. It's been a slow process rebuilding my whole swing but my cap has gone down 3....back where it was before I screwed myself all up watching the Golf Channel. :blush: Wade Nishimoto has also helped me much. Both can be found at Aloha Golf Center above Sugoi's in the City Square off of Dillingham. They have video, V1 software and a bunch of packages to choose from. Both have a very good eye for faults and will give you drills to practice in between lessons. I was having a problem just last week and during the Mililani Family Day, Wade watched me hit a few drives while trying out the new Adams Speedline Tech driver. In two swings he diagnosed a problem I was doing with my left arm on my through swing. Yesterday I worked with Joey and explained to him what Wade had saw to which he told me that was the drill I was supposed to be doing from the last lesson I got from him that he felt I was now doing incorrectly. So the two sets of eyes have worked great for me. Wade is the Director of Instruction there at AGC. I know there are a few other guys in here that have also worked with him and Joey that will probably chime in as well.

I have been working with them as well. Joey has helped correct my hideous swing since I started playing again after a 6-year hiatus. Joey and Wade are professionals both on and off the course. Both are also very easy to talk with and always look for input and conversation following the lessons.

Not only does Joey give lessons, he can properly fit you into clubs that will work for you. Not to be confused with trying to sell you something. He is very professional and will give you his honest opinion. He had not only corrected my swing but told me I needed to be swinging a stiff shaft on my driver and my iron shafts were too long.

[left]Thanks for the input. I'll give them a call. It would be nice to find someone local to talk to. I was watching the Open over the weekend and decided to make a list of questions.......so far I've got 23 items having to do with my swing and the swing in general. That's in addition to my issue of hitting it left or left of left. Every time I play golf I have to have what Johnny Miller calls a WOOD...works only one day. I don't play golf, I work on my swing. I don't mind that as I really enjoy working on my swing, but I'd like to have maybe only one or two WOODs to go to instead of a new one every time I go out. :=)[/left]

[left]Just talking, but I took two lessons a few years ago from Mike Labauve...top 50 instructor, etc.....man that guy was so impressed with himself.....didn't do diddly squat for my swing, but he knew he was really good. Now his wife Sandy was really good for my wife and gave her some important information. I should have gone to the wife.[/left]

I've also taken formal lessons from both Wade and Joey at Aloha Golf Center.

Joey is one of the best short game instructors on the island. He can easily teach you more than a handful of shots with a wedge, that will carry over to your short irons, and even your longer clubs. A very simple, yet versatile approach, but he can answer any technical questions as well.

Wade is a certified stack and tilt instructor, and is very knowledgable with golf mechanics and The Golfing Machine(physics application and analysis of the golf swing). I know there are many that are against the pattern, but the pattern is not something he will grind into you(nor will any SnT instructor unless you ask for it) the main thing he strives for is ball first contact, which is the key to any good golf shot, and is a major key to consistancy.

The greatest thing both offer is the ability to feel what you are doing wrong. you can look in the mirror or at a video all day long, but if you are never taught what you are suposed to feel, you will never have consistancy.

Good luck with your swing :)

Everyone's been quiet in Hawaii. What's going on? Anyone traveling and playing outer islands or mainland courses? It's summer time. Where's the reports?

I'm playing this weekend on the Big Island. Stay tuned for some exclusive pics. (my plans to play Nanea we're cancelled, so I got another course to fill the time...).

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone, I'm putting out a feeler to see if anyone would be interested in going to a two-day golf school put on by Dan Carraher aka "iteachgolf" on this forum. If there's enough interest, he would come out here to do a school one of the first two weeks in December. Probably 8 spots at $500 per person for two days of learnin'.

If you would be interested or need more detail send me a PM.

Some info on Dan, he coaches a bunch of pros, one of his students James Hahn just got his PGA Tour card by finishing in the Top 25 on the Web.com Tour. He also consults with Sean Foley from time to time, so I'm sure there's some good stories there. His philosophy is tailoring instruction to the individual and doesn't believe in one size fits all. Google his name and you'll see some swings on Youtube and his website.

Thanks.

54*, 58* Nike VR Forged

• 1 year later...