Struggling with swing

Morgan

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're sway loading into your right side instead of turning into it, and your spine tilts towards the target at the top instead of away from it. watch your hip movement from the face on view. with a mid-iron, a pro players left hip will more or less laterally stay where it was at address, and they'll create room in their right hip as it opens in the backswing. if you watch some youtubes and put your mouse cursor on a pros left hip, at the top of the backswing it'd be at the same spot. if you put it on the right hip, you'd see daylight between the cursor and their hip at the top.

your hips are sliding ~3" away from the target on the backswing, and then sliding back towards the target on the downswing. it's a big power suck, probably leads to some early extension, requires good timing and you may have a flip in there too (can't tell with that low fps)

i'd just work on getting that left hip to stay where it is laterally at address. practice the feeling in the mirror. you can take short swings with your feet together which should get you the feeling of not sliding back and forth. can stick a shaft in the ground that just touches your left hip at address and try to maintain that contact into the backswing while opening up your hips and feeling a stretch in your right hip/quad in the backswing and some weight on the inside of your left foot/ankle.

hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mmmblazer' timestamp='1329453068' post='4305807']
you are coming outside in with a closed club face,,,, this produces shots that start way left on target(face angle at impact) and curving to our right out the target (path) fix one of the two and the shape sill become less severe and far more playable
[/quote]

thanks for the analysis

what would you recommend to stop doing either or both of those things?

[quote name='jvang85' timestamp='1330719589' post='4420981']
in my opinion, i think your club is a bit too short for your height. I'm not sure what club you were using for the DTL video but i just thought it was a bit short which caused your hands to be very close to your knees.
[/quote]

It was a 7 iron, but it has been custom fitted to my height (im 6 foot 3)

in my opinion, i think your club is a bit too short for your height. I'm not sure what club you were using for the DTL video but i just thought it was a bit short which caused your hands to be very close to your knees.

That's cool that your clubs are fitted to your height. I don't really have any analysis that can help you fix your fade, but i do notice that your posture is kinda similar to Keegan Bradley's posture. You might be able to mimic his swing.

untitled1.jpg

That's cool that your clubs are fitted to your height. I don't really have any analysis that can help you fix your fade, but i do notice that your posture is kinda similar to Keegan Bradley's posture. You might be able to mimic his swing.

untitled1.jpg

wow didnt realise how similar the stance is to his, thanks for pointing that out. I'll take a look at his swing more closely and try to emulate his technique

Your arms should be hanging directly beneath your shoulders, looks like you are crowding the ball. The butt of the club should be pointed towards your belt line, you are quite a bit below that. These two set up changes will allow you to have more room for your arms to work, and help prevent the outside the line shut face move that is causing the slice.

Looks to me like you start the back swing with your hands and arms, this will always produce inconsistent ball striking- your hands look too active and the rest of your body looks too inactive. Look at some great swings-the body, turn/pivot is powering the swing, not the hands and arms- the hands and arms travel the farthest distance during the swing so it looks like they are controlling/powering the swing but they are not the primary source of control/power- the core, pivot, turn, etc. are

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm7HdZ3nl0o&feature=related"][media]http://www.youtube.c...feature=related[/media][/url]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='tfish' timestamp='1328292582' post='4206177']
you're sway loading into your right side instead of turning into it, and your spine tilts towards the target at the top instead of away from it. watch your hip movement from the face on view. with a mid-iron, a pro players left hip will more or less laterally stay where it was at address, and they'll create room in their right hip as it opens in the backswing. if you watch some youtubes and put your mouse cursor on a pros left hip, at the top of the backswing it'd be at the same spot. if you put it on the right hip, you'd see daylight between the cursor and their hip at the top.

your hips are sliding ~3" away from the target on the backswing, and then sliding back towards the target on the downswing. it's a big power suck, probably leads to some early extension, requires good timing and you may have a flip in there too (can't tell with that low fps)

i'd just work on getting that left hip to stay where it is laterally at address. practice the feeling in the mirror. you can take short swings with your feet together which should get you the feeling of not sliding back and forth. can stick a shaft in the ground that just touches your left hip at address and try to maintain that contact into the backswing while opening up your hips and feeling a stretch in your right hip/quad in the backswing and some weight on the inside of your left foot/ankle.

hope that helps.
[/quote]

would just like to thank everyone for their help. Ive been practicing a lot since ive put the first video up and now after your help im hitting the ball 100% better, my ballflight has returned to nice natural draw and im shooting around even par pretty consistenly (when my putter stays warm) :)

ive attached my swing as of last week (only had enough battery on my phone to record a DTL video)

anyway thanks for the help and hopefully i can keep shooting good scores
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2OwEbrS6X4[/media]