2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: Wilson Golf Staff Model ZM Wedges Testing | See What Members Are Saying!

WilsonMemberTesting_Reviews.png.526c881adf13a7f9a342cd2065361843.png

We have five (5) GolfWRX members testing Wilson Golf's Staff Model ZM wedge series. The members below will report back to the community about the things they noticed while testing this product. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as the testers will be happy to answer them!

The testers are:

About the Wilson Golf Staff Model ZM Wedge

This family of low, mid and high-bounce wedges delivers short-game confidence for players at every ability level. The forged 8620 carbon steel and precision-milled face provide a soft feel, maximum spin and greater stopping power in all conditions thanks to the unique engineering of the ZM Grooves and our high-tech garnet face blasting.

Learn more about the Wilson Golf Staff Model ZM Wedges here.

Thank you to Wilson Golf for putting on this member testing event!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Got these in hand finally but have not been out. I am going to get them outside today and get some thoughts! and post some initial pics!! Thanks so much @GolfWRX_Official for the opportunity! 

Saw them Friday, they look great.

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 minute ago, hammergolf said:

Saw them Friday, they look great.

They are a fantastic shape!! If they perform as well as they look, they have a winner on their hands. 

• Like 4

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

20 minutes ago, Wilson_Golf_Harry said:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Harry Nodwell, Product Line Manager for Wilson Golf. I can answer any questions you may have and will be responding throughout the testing process.

Cheers,

Harry

Thanks Harry! Welcome. 

• Like 2

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 minute ago, eaglestan66 said:

I'm using 2023 vintage Wilson Staff Forged Wedges and they are amazing. Curious to know how these new wedges compare?

The balls…. They go.

sound and feel are pure. 

just awesome wedges that stop.

• Like 2

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

3 hours ago, CBraynor said:

@Wilson_Golf_Harry hi Harry, these wedges look awesome but I’m curious if there are plans to release a raw version at any point? 

thanks!

Agreed. Raw is a must. Especially raw MB’s and CB’s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Really interested to hear how these do in wet weather. 

Also, @Wilson_Golf_Harry, any plans to eventually make more lofts available to lefties? Right now all we can get are 52, 56, 60 ... given stronger modern iron lofts, I would think that might leave most people with a potentially significant gap from PW to 52, or from their set GW to 56.

• Like 3

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Posted (edited)

Ok. First off. Again thank you to Wilson golf and GolfWrx for the chance to try these wedges. 

About me. Specifically my short game. It has been a a struggle. At one time I felt like I was a pretty good wedge player. The past year or so I don’t know what happened, but I have lost the feel. So I am glad to get to try these and see if it can pull me out of the dumps. 

first off. I think these wedges look fantastic.. they are a great size and shape. The are a chrome plated wedge that has a little bit of a dull finish that is appreciated to ward off glare. I know there is a story with with face that is currently escaping me. Maybe @Wilson_Golf_Harry can pop in and explain it. Something quartz I believe. But there is a roughness to the face that feel like it could really grab the ball. I am curious to see how it wear and how durable it will be. 

These came with true temper tour issue spinner shafts. I wasn’t the biggest fan of these the last time I tried them and I actually started to pull them, total wrx move right? Pull shafts of clubs before you even hit them? Well, I decided to not do that and try them as is. So I reinstalled the shaft I pulled. (Oh, by the way I opted for the 52, 56, and 60 high toe. More on that in a min).

but I did extend them 1/4 of an inch and changed the grips. Sorry, I am super picky about grips. I don’t bit play with a glove and so I am really really picky about size and feel of a grip. So the sticks tour velvets were stripped and lamkin cross line cord midsize grips were installed. 

I took them to a practice are and hit some short chips and pitches with the 56 and 60. I actually enjoyed the feel. They are a bit more firm. But I am not yet willing to call the “clicky”. I did like the launch window I was seeing coming off the 60. It was coming off and pitching out low.. I love that. That means the face is grabbing the ball and it is not sliding up the face. That means control.. again love it. 

the 60 high is the one wedge that is a bit different. But I love the shape. I have loved full face wedges since they became a thing, I think this wedge is the best shape of all the full toe/high to wedges out there.

the sole is also a bit different. It is wider but still only has 10 degrees of bounce. To me that means forgiveness and margin for error. I need that at the moment. 

Looking forward to getting these on launch monitor and testing some numbers seeing what kind of full swing data I can collect. That may be Thursday or Friday. Then I am hoping to get them out on the course this Friday or Saturday. 

IMG_4633.jpeg

IMG_4632.jpeg

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 2

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Oh one cosmetic thing I want to call out right now that I am glad to see. It is a super simple thing. But! It is a slightly big deal. 

the bottom groove. It’s a full size groove. Not some stupid half groove. The full face wedge is different but that one is ok, because the design and play is different.

image.jpg

• Like 3

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Big congrats to these testers - can't wait to follow this thread for updates!  Loving the pictures so far!

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Posted (edited)

Apologies for the delay here.  Incredibly grateful to @GolfWRX_Official and @Wilson_Golf_Harry and Team Wilson for the opportunity to test these wedges.  Today was a very long travel day which unfortunately keeps me away from testing until the weekend.  

I did receive the wedges on Saturday and was able to snap a few pics, but kids and family obligations kept me away from testing.  I know I know, my WRX card should be suspended… Pics attached are comparison between sm10 60s and ZM 60.

C0E30DFD-8DEE-46B9-89E2-BC69D1DB0A36.jpeg.c729a88061e39167dfbed4ef233ee207.jpeg33E9F28E-06BA-4E09-AA1A-3914D0CB1805.jpeg.7f910217e6d44cadb25a8f2143f09cae.jpeg9724B5B1-DB74-47A0-B18A-EC0D9F551BB0.jpeg.ee3d87e439c31b859638887dfb6a0877.jpeg

The shape of these are outstanding!  Really love the straighter leading edge and the pinched toe.  Not as round as a vokey and a little more squared off.  Also, really love the look from hosel to leading edge as well, very smooth.  Overall, the shaping from previous release is a little smaller, straighter lines and that squared off toe I mentioned.  Really attractive!

Wilson wedges have had my interests since last year.  Currently playing a split set of staff model cb’s and d9 forged irons and absolutely loving them!  I’ve been a fan of Wilson irons for a while now, but ever since the PMP wedges and previous release, I’ve been wanting to give the wedges a go.  Timing is perfect as I need new wedges as well.

As soon as I return from traveling for work, I will get these out and test them against Sm10’s, which should be a really good test.  Can’t wait to get them out in the turf!

I will get much more pics, numbers and a complete review this upcoming weekend.

Edited by wam78
  • Like 4

Driver Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

18 hours ago, eric61 said:

Really interested to hear how these do in wet weather. 

Also, @Wilson_Golf_Harry, any plans to eventually make more lofts available to lefties? Right now all we can get are 52, 56, 60 ... given stronger modern iron lofts, I would think that might leave most people with a potentially significant gap from PW to 52, or from their set GW to 56.

We are looking at other lofts for lefties for future products. Don't have a timeline yet.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Wilson_Golf_Harry said:

Compared to our older wedges, we took a new look at how we make wedges. The new Staff Model ZM Wedges have a new Groove pattern which are deeper, and sharper compared to the prior gen. We also have a garnet face blasting and mill pattern to ensure higher spin no matter the yardage. All three combined result in a consistent higher spin in all conditions, including wet. The ZM wedges offer low, medium and high bounce offerings to attract all golfers while tweaking the overall profile of each loft making them more compact, player look at address. 

Garnet.. I said quartz. lol. Thanks! 

How much did tour players help with these wedges compared to in the past? I know there was imput. But how much?

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

4 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Garnet.. I said quartz. lol. Thanks! 

How much did tour players help with these wedges compared to in the past? I know there was imput. But how much?

Our tour players have always had input on prior gen wedges and the new ZM wedges. As our tour players eyes adapt, so does the product shape, leading edge, topline, the works. Is it 100% based on their feedback, no, but they have a considerable amount of input with the overall look and what they want from a performance basis. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Wilson_Golf_Harry said:

Our tour players have always had input on prior gen wedges and the new ZM wedges. As our tour players eyes adapt, so does the product shape, leading edge, topline, the works. Is it 100% based on their feedback, no, but they have a considerable amount of input with the overall look and what they want from a performance basis. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Major shelf/bag appeal on these. Looking 🔥

• Like 1

Driver - AI Smoke Triple Diamond, Tensei 1k Blue 6tx

3 Wood - Callaway AI Smoke Max, Tensei AV Blue 75x

2 Iron - Titleist U505, Graphite Design AD-DI 8x

4-PW - T150, Project X 6.5

50 Degree - SM10 50.12F, Project X 6.5

54 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, mid bounce, Project X wedge 6.5

58 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, low bounce, TI s400

Putter - Custom shop 2022 Phantom 5.5

2023 Pro V1

22 hours ago, wam78 said:

Apologies for the delay here.  Incredibly grateful to @GolfWRX_Official and @Wilson_Golf_Harry and Team Wilson for the opportunity to test these wedges.  Today was a very long travel day which unfortunately keeps me away from testing until the weekend.  

I did receive the wedges on Saturday and was able to snap a few pics, but kids and family obligations kept me away from testing.  I know I know, my WRX card should be suspended… Pics attached are comparison between sm10 60s and ZM 60.

C0E30DFD-8DEE-46B9-89E2-BC69D1DB0A36.jpeg.c729a88061e39167dfbed4ef233ee207.jpeg33E9F28E-06BA-4E09-AA1A-3914D0CB1805.jpeg.7f910217e6d44cadb25a8f2143f09cae.jpeg9724B5B1-DB74-47A0-B18A-EC0D9F551BB0.jpeg.ee3d87e439c31b859638887dfb6a0877.jpeg

The shape of these are outstanding!  Really love the straighter leading edge and the pinched toe.  Not as round as a vokey and a little more squared off.  Also, really love the look from hosel to leading edge as well, very smooth.  Overall, the shaping from previous release is a little smaller, straighter lines and that squared off toe I mentioned.  Really attractive!

Wilson wedges have had my interests since last year.  Currently playing a split set of staff model cb’s and d9 forged irons and absolutely loving them!  I’ve been a fan of Wilson irons for a while now, but ever since the PMP wedges and previous release, I’ve been wanting to give the wedges a go.  Timing is perfect as I need new wedges as well.

As soon as I return from traveling for work, I will get these out and test them against Sm10’s, which should be a really good test.  Can’t wait to get them out in the turf!

I will get much more pics, numbers and a complete review this upcoming weekend.

I played D7’s forn2 seasons and been looking for a D9/CB set for a while.

Perfect combo and these complete the set.

Unfortunately Wilson Staff’s sure will not allow the mix up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wilson_Golf_Harry said:

Compared to our older wedges, we took a new look at how we make wedges. The new Staff Model ZM Wedges have a new Groove pattern which are deeper, and sharper compared to the prior gen. We also have a garnet face blasting and mill pattern to ensure higher spin no matter the yardage. All three combined result in a consistent higher spin in all conditions, including wet. The ZM wedges offer low, medium and high bounce offerings to attract all golfers while tweaking the overall profile of each loft making them more compact, player look at address. 

The shot I explained above from 89y with the new 58* stopped on a section it should NOT have stopped.

The green is two separated by a big /steep ridge.

I played the shot perfectly by landing on the ridge to allow release back and down.

The ball did not release. My buddy Hermie even said “wow look at that spin”.

This is wet conditions in 65* weather with TP5’s. This would never have happened with my Tour Cleveland. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wilson_Golf_Harry said:

You guys did a GREAT job! 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip