Taylormade RBZ irons review

dmgolfer

This is based only on some time at the range, on coursereview coming after Fridays round.

I was fitted for the RBZ irons in Palm Dessert using theMATT system, very cool and very thorough session out there, I found a greatdeal on Gilt City for $100, Mike Amira is the pro out there. Really nice guyand very helpful. The MATT system if a very cool it really does show your flawsand how bad my set-up was.

I was fitted for 4-GW, steel stiff KBS shafts, 3deg upright,½ over std. length, mid-size grip..Now I must say this is the first time I havebeen fitted for 3 deg upright.

Look: by now you should have seen enough pics the set updoes not bother me at all, myprevious clubs, Cally x-20 tours have a thick top line so that is not too muchof an issue for me, the progressive offset is pretty noticeable but again not abig deal.

Feel: the lightweight shaft vs. the black/gold shafts I amplaying now was a huge difference it took me several shots to get a sense ofwhere the club was in my swing. After several strikes is started getting a feelfor these, one thing I did notice was the sweet spot seems to be closer to thetoe then center. The biggest thing is mis-hits sting as compared to the callys,this was a huge surprise for me as was the loss of distance on mis-hits, verynoticeable.

Ball flight did tend to be higher on all the clubs but I wasnot seeing any distance gain at all, I would say they might even be a littleshorter; again this was at the range. As most people have said the 4 iron isreally a hybrid/driving iron. I love this club, I was cranking it, high shots,low shots, draw, fade..I love this club for the first time in 5 plus years myadams hybrid is out of the bag.

Really looking forward to playing this Friday to see what myresults are on the course, as of now im pretty neutral. I understand this was abig change but going through the MATT system and getting a recommendation asthorough as that I was expecting a little more..

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I usually like to play a blade (MB2's were one of my all time favorite) or a players cavity back. I decided to take a step back and look at my game. I am a 2hcp and putting is usually where I struggle most. Although I have my bad days with the irons I tend to be a solid ball striker. Well this game is hard enough and why not use more forgiving clubs? Why not use technology to my advantage like I (we) do with the driver, 3 wood and hybrid's? The RBZ tour driver worked perfect for my swing and I also bought the 3 wood and hybrid so why not give the RBZ irons a look. Ya, they are big. Ya they are clunky. But heck if I can't hit these how could I expect to hit a blade? What does a blade or cavity back have that these don't? What the advantage? So maybe a blade or cavity back has a little more workability in them than an RBZ style iron. Can I worked the ball both ways with the RBZ's, well yes I can. Turf interaction, great no problems there with the RBZ's. Ok big one here can I hit all my green side shots with the lob wedge with the RBZ lob wedge, well yes I can. I can hit super high flop shots or close the face for a bump-n-run. So other than looks and a touch more workability there is nothing the RBZ won't do that the blade or cavity back will do. Ego aside the RBZ are more forgiving and very little loss of distance on off center hits. They have great feedback and feel so solid when struck well. Like I said they may be classified as game improvement, who can't use a little game improvement? Golf is hard enough as it is so I am going to use today's technology to my advantage!

[quote name='Paulw007' timestamp='1329139842' post='4274261']
Well I usually like to play a blade (MB2's were one of my all time favorite) or a players cavity back. I decided to take a step back and look at my game. I am a 2hcp and putting is usually where I struggle most. Although I have my bad days with the irons I tend to be a solid ball striker. Well this game is hard enough and why not use more forgiving clubs? Why not use technology to my advantage like I (we) do with the driver, 3 wood and hybrid's? The RBZ tour driver worked perfect for my swing and I also bought the 3 wood and hybrid so why not give the RBZ irons a look. Ya, they are big. Ya they are clunky. But heck if I can't hit these how could I expect to hit a blade? What does a blade or cavity back have that these don't? What the advantage? So maybe a blade or cavity back has a little more workability in them than an RBZ style iron. Can I worked the ball both ways with the RBZ's, well yes I can. Turf interaction, great no problems there with the RBZ's. Ok big one here can I hit all my green side shots with the lob wedge with the RBZ lob wedge, well yes I can. I can hit super high flop shots or close the face for a bump-n-run. So other than looks and a touch more workability there is nothing the RBZ won't do that the blade or cavity back will do. Ego aside the RBZ are more forgiving and very little loss of distance on off center hits. They have great feedback and feel so solid when struck well. Like I said they may be classified as game improvement, who can't use a little game improvement? Golf is hard enough as it is so I am going to use today's technology to my advantage!
[/quote]
My thoughts as well. I have put the R11 irons in my bag in January. I wanted a little more forgiving irons. I have the RBZ 50, 55 and 60 coming today to put in play.

Ping G430 10K 10.5 GD Tour AD DI 6 X Stiff 
Ping G430 SFT 3 Wood Tour AD DI 7 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
Ping i530 5-UW Nippon Modus 105S

Ping s159 50/S, 56/W, 60/S Nippon Modus 105S
35 1/2” Ping PLD Mundy 

Wilson Staff Tour Model X

So I finally played a few rounds this weekend and still not really impressed.

I re-gripped my clubs as the midsize grips were hurting my hands...This did help some but I have to say im still catching these closer to the toe..i contacted the fitter and I will probably be heading back to Palm Desert to have them checked out..

No real distance games and not a lot of spin on these...Played my old gamers against my new irons on several holes and I hit my old ones as far if not farther by a couple of yards..more noticeably on par 3 145 down hill I hit 9 iron with both clubs the RBZ landed nicely and rolled out a couple feet, my Callys hit the green bounced forward then spun back a few feet...

Going to see whats going with the fitter and give these a few more weeks

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1329104256' post='4272565']
Thanks for the review. No distance gains huh? Report back after a few more rounds.
[/quote]

I have not noticed any distance gains as well... 1 round and 2 range session... I will say they "feel" pretty good.. atleast 6-AW do... I'm not to sure about the 4-5 irons yet.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I have played 3 rounds with mine since getting them on Friday (+1 inch, 2 degrees up) 4-AW stock stiff shafts. I play to a 9. Iron play is my Nemisis. i was concerned that the stock shaft would balloon on me, etc compared to an aftermarket KBS or DGSL. Has not been the case. High ball flight but it just goes.

Here is what I have found:

I am a club or so longer with each iron. Think Burner 2.0 on steriods. Hit several 4 irons 210 to 215 off the fairway.
Feel- Best feeling cast club I have owned.
Looks - Nice looking. They get thinner as the clubs progress. 4 and 5 irons are clunky for sure but the rest of the set is not bad. I like the graphics in the cavity.
Forgiveness - Excellent. Not much loss of distance on off center hits. Can tell when I miss it and when I hit it pure.
Workability- I can hit a draw and knock it down with the AW. The A Wedge by the way is quickly becoming my favorite club. So much so that for the first time I am thinking of trying the Sand Wedge and dare I say Lob Wedge?

Verdict - Very good purchase.

Played 5 rounds now, so far I love them. I have shot 76, 79, 76, 79, 79. I'll take that since my putting is my main issue right now. A few of the guys I play with are scratch golfers and I have been hitting an average of 1-2 clubs less than them. Today was crazy windy and a few holes down wind I was shocked. 8i from 184....and even into the wind they hold their own. I know the irons have strong lofts but I find that I even hit the lob wedge (60*) about 100-105 yards. This is an easy 5-7 yards further than any other wedge of the same loft. And the grinds allow me to hit all those shots around then green. Don't even get me started on the driver. Point and shoot for me. And it is as long as anything I have ever played. And the other thing I like is I can work the ball left or right with no problem. I love these clubs!!!

[quote name='Paulw007' timestamp='1329707702' post='4328525']
Played 5 rounds now, so far I love them. I have shot 76, 79, 76, 79, 79. I'll take that since my putting is my main issue right now. A few of the guys I play with are scratch golfers and I have been hitting an average of 1-2 clubs less than them. Today was crazy windy and a few holes down wind I was shocked. 8i from 184....and even into the wind they hold their own. I know the irons have strong lofts but I find that I even hit the lob wedge (60*) about 100-105 yards. This is an easy 5-7 yards further than any other wedge of the same loft. And the grinds allow me to hit all those shots around then green. Don't even get me started on the driver. Point and shoot for me. And it is as long as anything I have ever played. And the other thing I like is I can work the ball left or right with no problem. I love these clubs!!!
[/quote]

I hear yah!