2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

My opinion on the GX-3?

MTM

Hole in One the first round I used it!
I had been somewhat reluctant to buy one of these as I had tried to use one of the very first laser rangefinders made for golf years ago and had a really difficult time with a steady hand. I've been using a SkyCaddie for several years now.

I tested a few lasers and actually had an easier time with the Bushnell 1600 as far as keeping it steady but horror stories about their customer service were consistent not only here but at my regular golf shop. They said Bushnell sucks with warranty stuff and standing by their product in general.

I bought a Leupold GX3 yesterday and fiddled around with it last night. Went out today and found shooting the flag pretty easy. Only once did I have any real issue but I was shooting a flag at 197 with a mound behind the green at 210 that kept picking up. Even so, in scan mode, it was pretty easy to determine that the flag was 197.

Hole number 17 I aced. Now I know that Holes in One require a certain amount of luck but it was a funny coincidence that it happened the first time I used a laser rangefinder.

I still plan on renewing my SkyCaddie membership in May and using both but the laser was a real nice compliment to my game.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MTM' timestamp='1329601788' post='4318491']
I had been somewhat reluctant to buy one of these as I had tried to use one of the very first laser rangefinders made for golf years ago and had a really difficult time with a steady hand. I've been using a SkyCaddie for several years now.

I tested a few lasers and actually had an easier time with the Bushnell 1600 as far as keeping it steady but horror stories about their customer service were consistent not only here but at my regular golf shop. They said Bushnell sucks with warranty stuff and standing by their product in general.

I bought a Leupold GX3 yesterday and fiddled around with it last night. Went out today and found shooting the flag pretty easy. Only once did I have any real issue but I was shooting a flag at 197 with a mound behind the green at 210 that kept picking up. Even so, in scan mode, it was pretty easy to determine that the flag was 197.

Hole number 17 I aced. Now I know that Holes in One require a certain amount of luck but it was a funny coincidence that it happened the first time I used a laser rangefinder.

I still plan on renewing my SkyCaddie membership in May and using both but the laser was a real nice compliment to my game.
[/quote]

Awesome, congrats on the ace! Was it your first one?

I've been championing the GX-3 a lot lately, and I'm very sure the Leupold definitely helped you with your ace! Now go collect some free stuff (depending on what equipment you used):

[url="http://www.titleist.com/myaccount/holeinone.aspx"]http://www.titleist..../holeinone.aspx[/url]

[url="http://www.ping.com/uploadedFiles/About/PING_Ace_Form.pdf"]http://www.ping.com/...NG_Ace_Form.pdf[/url]

TaylorMade:
[url="http://www.taylormadegolf.com/customer-service"]http://www.taylormad...ustomer-service[/url]

[url="http://www.taylormadegolf.com/customer-service#"]Will TaylorMade Recognize My Hole-in-one?[/url]
[color="#191919"][/font][/color][color="#191919"]A: We would be more than happy to send you a congratulatory acknowledgement for your hole in one using our products! We just need the following information:[/color]

[color="#191919"][/color][color="#191919"]1. Your name and address[/color]
[color="#191919"][/color][color="#191919"]2. Where you play most frequently (Private CC, Semi-Private CC, Public/Municipal Course, Resort Course)[/color]
[color="#191919"][/color][color="#191919"]3. How many rounds of golf you play during each month of the golfing season (0-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8 or more)[/color]
[color="#191919"][/color][color="#191919"]4. Handicap[/color]
[color="#191919"][/color][color="#191919"]5. Course name, city, and state where you got your hole-in-one[/color]
[color="#191919"][/color][color="#191919"]6. Hole number[/color]
[color="#191919"][/color][color="#191919"]7. Par of the hole[/color]
[color="#191919"][/color][color="#191919"]8. Hole yardage[/color]
[color="#191919"][/color][color="#191919"]9. TaylorMade products used (driver, fairway, irons, ball, etc.)[/color]

[color="#191919"][/color][color="#191919"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Once you have this information, you can contact us via email using our [url="http://www.taylormadegolf.com/customer-service/contact-us"]contact form[/url], or call our Customer Service Department at (866) 530-TMAG (8624). Customer Service hours: 6:00am to 5:00pm, Pacific. Once your information is entered into our database, you will receive an acknowledgement from us within 4-6 weeks. Congratulations![/color]

Callaway Golf:

[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/customer-service/faqs.html"]http://www.callawayg...rvice/faqs.html[/url]

[color="#696969"]Callaway Golf is pleased to offer a commemorative plaque to those who get a hole-in-one using our equipment. We ask that you please E-mail or call our Customer Service Department at (800) 588-9836 and provide the following information[/color]
[color="#696969"]1. Callaway Golf product used:[/color]
[color="#696969"]2. Customer Name:[/color]
[color="#696969"]3. Address (no PO boxes):[/color]
[color="#696969"]4. Phone number:[/color]
[color="#696969"]5. Hole Number/ Yardage:[/color]
[color="#696969"]6. Golf Course:[/color]
[color="#696969"]7. Date of Hole-In-One (Month, Date, Year. For Example June 15, 2005):[/color]

Bridgestone:
[url="http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/hole-in-one"]http://www.bridgesto...com/hole-in-one[/url]

Cobra:
[url="http://www.cobragolf.com/contact"]http://www.cobragolf.com/contact[/url]

You get the idea...just Google "hole in one" followed by the OEM company and you'll easily find freebie plaques, certificates, bag tags, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MTM' timestamp='1330039642' post='4362201']
Thanks guys!

Definitely liking the GX-3.

This ace was my second. I had one about 5 or 6 years ago in our Club Championship (and I had skipped the optional Skins/Closest to :fool: )

Registered with Titleist and I guess I get a bag tag. Bridgestone sent me a dozen balls on my first one.
[/quote]

I replied in your thread a few weeks ago, and just yesterday, with a little help from my GX-3 (and a lot of luck), I made my first ace too! Scorecard said 181 yards, but the GX-3 showed the pin as 170 yards...would have been a one club difference and probably would not have made the ace if I hit the longer club...

[quote name='MTM' timestamp='1329601788' post='4318491'].

[/quote]

I just bought the GX-3i and am confused on one point. I understood that Leupold had a function like the Bushnell PinSeeker, which gives you visual confirmation that you're locked on the flag. I've seen Leupold images with a small LOC in the lower-right of the screen, and I assumed that was this Pin Hunter. However, I can't seem to make it work.

I do get a BEEP when it locks on a prism, but that's Prism Lock, not what I'm talking about.

Even older Bushnells were giving flag confirmations on the two courses I played this week, with nothing from the Leupold. All I could do was hold the button down and "scan" the flag area and watch for the lowest number. Not very sophisticated, and I assume this isn't what they mean you to have to do.

[quote name='brooke' timestamp='1331403302' post='4476727']

[/quote]

I just bought the GX-3i and am confused on one point. I understood that Leupold had a function like the Bushnell PinSeeker, which gives you visual confirmation that you're locked on the flag. I've seen Leupold images with a small LOC in the lower-right of the screen, and I assumed that was this Pin Hunter. However, I can't seem to make it work.

I do get a BEEP when it locks on a prism, but that's Prism Lock, not what I'm talking about.

Even older Bushnells were giving flag confirmations on the two courses I played this week, with nothing from the Leupold. All I could do was hold the button down and "scan" the flag area and watch for the lowest number. Not very sophisticated, and I assume this isn't what they mean you to have to do.
[/quote]

All you do is aim the reticle at the flag, and then press the button just ONCE and let go, and it'll lock on and give you a yardage. If you hold the button down, then you're entering into scan mode. You can do it either way, but the former is Leupold's version of Pin Seeker (called Pin Hunter).

[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1331426727' post='4479019']
[quote name='brooke' timestamp='1331403302' post='4476727']

[/quote]

[/quote]

All you do is aim the reticle at the flag, and then press the button just ONCE and let go, and it'll lock on and give you a yardage. If you hold the button down, then you're entering into scan mode. You can do it either way, but the former is Leupold's version of Pin Seeker (called Pin Hunter).
[/quote]

What he said is true brooke.. It's also somewhat different than pin seeker too in the sense that you could hold the button down on the bushnell and essentially swipe the reticle back and forth over the pin and it would eventually lock on. On the Leupold it's not that way at all because you just push the button once and hopefully it picks up the flag. It usually does more often than not, but the functionality is definitely different than the Bushnell.

Would I go back to Bushnell from Leupold because of this? Absolutely not, but I do wish the Leupold was more like Bushnell in that sense.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2