Played one year and could use some help

video of driver and 6i
Hi guys,

I started playing 11 months ago and now i am a 24 hp. I live in Thailand and there are no launchmonitors around where i live so i dont have any numbers to give out. Lessons are somewhat difficult because of the language barrier. my dad helped me a lot in the beginning. Now i would really appreciate someone from wrx to take a look at a video i made of some driver and 6i shots. I hope the video has enough frames pr sec as its the only camera i have.

Here is the link on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0u_vbnKe5Q&feature=youtu.be

cheers and i very much appreciate any help!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey don't worry about launch monitors and numbers.

Obviously your balance is not good.

If you really want to get better I would spend your doing the following, not full swings:

Go to the range and use just a sand wedge. Stand with a pretty narrow stance and only make half swings- take the club back until your arms are parallel to the ground (9-oclock on a clock face) and then swing through and stop at 3-oclock (parallel to the ground again) on the through swing

Maintain your balance and turn your belly button in sequence with the grip of the club

Keep practicing this until you can hit the ball consistently solid and maintain your balance

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2ZyA-6E8Y&feature=related[/media]

[quote name='biolagolfer' timestamp='1330985730' post='4442885']
Hey don't worry about launch monitors and numbers.

Obviously your balance is not good.

If you really want to get better I would spend your doing the following, not full swings:

Go to the range and use just a sand wedge. Stand with a pretty narrow stance and only make half swings- take the club back until your arms are parallel to the ground (9-oclock on a clock face) and then swing through and stop at 3-oclock (parallel to the ground again) on the through swing

Maintain your balance and turn your belly button in sequence with the grip of the club

Keep practicing this until you can hit the ball consistently solid and maintain your balance

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2ZyA-6E8Y&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

I'd have to agree with Biolagolf on this one. Your swinging out of your shoes which throws you off balance. Do the drill that Bio suggested and you'll see a big difference if your swing. Since you've only played for about a year, you still have alot of time to improve, so I advise you not to rush your full swing.

don't slow down just to slow down. that's not gonna change anything, you'll just hit it shorter and just as sideways. what those guys are talking about is swinging [i]shorter[/i] and with your body, after putting yourself into a proper setup position.

you're falling all over the place because of a poor pivot (on the wrong foot), swaying your hips back and forth, swinging too much with your arms, questionable flexibility, bad setup positions....etc.

read as much of the instruction/academy forum as you can stand, and watch some youtube videos. the above is a good place to start. easy to think about visualizing those same moves and standing in a mirror and mimicking the positions.

i'd start with a more athletic setup position. little more bend in the knees.
then get your spine to point away from the target. this means your head will feel way back behind the ball, as compared to now where it's on top of it. and on the same note, make sure your shoulders are parallel to your feet, if you put a club across your shoulders at address right now they'd point about 60 yards left of where the fairway is, which is a big reason why your swing path goes straight left, which is why you hit big pulls or huge slices.
then work on keeping your left hip from swaying away from the target in the backswing. right hip opens up, left shoulder goes under chin, feel weight on inside of right foot, left hip stays where it is, head stays where it is.

Just back from the course. had a nice session where i focused on swinging correctly with less speed and turn. i felt it helped a lot! funny how blind one becomes to things that becomes obvious when others comment on it. next session (tomorrow) i will focus on the setup comments from tfish. i wasnt aware that my shoulders where pointing left, so thats one thing i need to look at.

Thanks again all!

check this video out. Not to look down on you, but this video helped me during my early years of golfing. It's a video of a two year old hitting the golf range. You'll see that even a two year old can hit balls within balance and he does a decent job of pivoting. Watch his foot work and where his body weight is at finish. There are lots of great videos and tips out there that can give you alot of information but I thought this video was helpful for me because its very simple. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEl3ZnwHn6c&feature=related[/media]

I agree with what other people have said about posture and balance, those two things are very important to improving your golf swing. I would also add that during the swing you should try to keep your left arm more straight and instead rotate your body to get the club in position at the top of your backswing. You had a couple swings where you took more of a baseball swing and it will be very difficult to be consistent if you continue doing that.

Don't worry about getting a lot of torque and rotatation at this point, get the fundamentals down with posture and balance first. There are a lot of good instructional videos out there...

• 4 weeks later...