2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Indoor Putting Mats

golfnguitarz

Big Moss and Expand-a-Green
I tried a search for "putting green" and "putting mat" and turned up very little information about putting mats. The search only seemed to turn up "putting" or "green" results.

I would like to get some feedback on these too products if anyone has used them. They are both in the price range I want. The Expand-a-green looks pretty neat, but I worry about the seams on it. Anyway, if you are familiar with either, please give me some feedback. Thanks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Moss seems to be the carpet of "choice." Check out these search results.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?ac...ghlite=big+moss

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Be sure you do. LOL Don't clean up the room. we want to see it looking like a roomthatis used, not a museum. ;)

-CHRIS-

p/s/ that's why i never show pics of my house. LOL

You asked for it... :D I took inspiration from Augusta National. I heard they have vacuums that "suck" the moisture out of the greens, so I got the "de-humidifier package." :crazy: The thing is so big I can't even get it all in the pictures. :crazy:

gxgolfer, I am not seeing anything when I hit that link for that discussion.

Secondly, what is the syntax for searches on this site? I hate to keep bugging people about where to find stuff. I have tried these variations: "putting green", "putting matt", putting mat, putting+mat, big+moss and the only one that really returns anything accurate is big+moss and it actually just returned my post. Is there somewhere on the site where I can read the instructions for searches?

Same here. I went to go try putting at the practice green last night and the greens were HORRIBLE. They overseaded, then let people still use it so now, you have these blotches like footprints where people screwed it up walking on it taking away parts of the seeds. There were bare patches, you name it. Just really upsetting. Want something I can put in my golf room at the house. Have to wait till christmas though ;)

-CHRIS-

Looks like 7 sets of 'backup' irons there :crazy:

Just out of curiousity, does yours stay pretty much the same width the entire way or taper down like in the pics on their site? Mine did not taper down, which was nice.

Ummm, there are some sets in boxes too... ;)

It's got just a slight bit of taper, but really not very much at all.

As to the chipping question: I am getting some "bite" with my 59º. There is a "foam" type base that makes the incline so that the holes are elevated. The foam begins about 3 feet before the cups begin and tapers up from there. Being mine is sitting on concrete with linoleum over it, if the ball hits on just the carpeted area, it has a little more "hop" to it than bite. If it hits closer to the foam or on the foam-backed area, then it tends to have a little more "check."

The only concern I have with mine is the foam. Being I don't have much space to walk around the outside of mine with all the clubs/treadmill surrounding it, I wonder if the foam will compress from continually walking on it in time. I guess I'll find out, although there is nothing in the "owner's manual that says to avoid walking on it around the cups.

I'm having fun with it so far. Putted and chipped for about 45 minutes last night. Before, I just had an old piece of carpet and a putting cup that I'd use. This is more realistic obvisously, and rolls much better. I'm going to play around with making some breaks underneath it. They include a couple "Break Snakes" which are just strips of foam basically. They work better for catching errant putts/balls than using for breaks, as they are a little thick and make the breaks too pronounced. I'm thinking just a bath towel or something underneath would work well. They include adhesive velcro strips to attach one of the "Break Snakes" at the back of it to catch balls, so I think they are aware that is the best application for them as well.

So far, so good anyway. Glad I got it, as it is sure to be a long Minesota winter yet again...

Edit: Oh, I am also a member over at 4GEA.com, and got this from one of the sponsors- In the Hole! Golf. They give a 10% discount to members and free shipping. They also threw in the chipping mat and the two Break Snakes. (Less than Ebay in other words...)

Hve you considered building it up a little. Say make a plywood platform and some foam. You shouldbe able to do it pretty easy, and it would remove the bounciness from it. Just a thought of course ;)

-CHRIS-

I think if you just used a thin, firm piece of carpet backing it would be fine, or had it on top of low pile/berber carpeting. My ceiling isn't high enough to hit any flop shots or anything, so it's fine for me. It's got enough weight to it that you really don't need to "tack" it down to plywood or anything. :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at Big Moss and also puttgolf. http://www.puttgolf.com/index.htm

I just emailed puttgolf with some questions on Friday, but haven't heard back yet. Right now I think I am leaning towards the Big Moss, but will wait to see if I hear back from Puttgolf. Might tell me something about their customer service, one way or the other.

I will definitely get one for Christmas. Mrs. Santa Claus already has it on her list. Gotta love that woman.

Ask about the Puttgolf I have had it for 2 years now. I love it. Its just a little bulky and not as easy to put away as the big moss is. But you get 15 preset slopes to set up in the guide and you can make 100's more. From 10 feet and in you will be locked. Has been a great help for me and my son. Right now I hit 200 putts a night during the of season.

Ask about the Puttgolf I have had it for 2 years now. I love it. Its just a little bulky and not as easy to put away as the big moss is. But you get 15 preset slopes to set up in the guide and you can make 100's more. From 10 feet and in you will be locked. Has been a great help for me and my son. Right now I hit 200 putts a night during the of season.

Scotty:

I'm also looking to buy an indoor putting green, and I'm leaning towards the Puttgolf. Since you've used this for some time, I would really like to get your input before I drop the cash. How sturdy is it? I haven't seen one in person, but it looks like it sits raised up on adjustable legs. I'm worried about durability and also about what it feels like when you stand/walk on it.

Thanks

Scotty:

I'm also looking to buy an indoor putting green, and I'm leaning towards the Puttgolf. Since you've used this for some time, I would really like to get your input before I drop the cash. How sturdy is it? I haven't seen one in person, but it looks like it sits raised up on adjustable legs. I'm worried about durability and also about what it feels like when you stand/walk on it.

Thanks

There is a 6x4 platform that you can stand on top of. The rest are the legs and a card wood platform that the green lies on top of. You would use a putt cup for shorter distances.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
BST AD Help

I plan on using this in my garage. How heavy is it once assembled? Could I stand it up in a corner without doing any harm to it. I assume you like the surface. Could I be well served in not using the frame and just using the "carpet" on the floor. The adjustments that can be made for different breaks doesn't interest me that much. I would just like to make all the straight in 10 footers. (cool)

I plan on using this in my garage. How heavy is it once assembled? Could I stand it up in a corner without doing any harm to it. I assume you like the surface. Could I be well served in not using the frame and just using the "carpet" on the floor. The adjustments that can be made for different breaks doesn't interest me that much. I would just like to make all the straight in 10 footers. (cool)

That is what I would do for a quick setup. The only issue maybe the cup. It's expandable and I'm not sure how "flat" it can be.

BST AD Help

That is what I would do for a quick setup. The only issue maybe the cup. It's expandable and I'm not sure how "flat" it can be.

Sounds to me like a big moss would fit you much better - it rolls up quickly and easily. It IS a carpet on the floor. You may want to do a search for when I posted pics of mine that I have in my garage... actually I'm waiting for a BIGGER one that should be at my home next week (while I'm in Cabo!).

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54861

post-3645-1162521244.jpg

post-3645-1162521246.jpg

I'm in the market as well and having looked at all these, certainly the price range seems good.

I wondered about the set up on each, particulalry the Big Moss where you effectively would be standing on 'off the mat' (unless you get the 'big one') - does this have much effect on your set up and make it different to actually being on the green?

I am really in a quandry as to what one to go for - putt golf looks good but damn those pics of the big moss look good as well?

I have a 6x12 BigMoss and it's great. It is a little slow, but it definitely gets the job done. The big thing is when it is first shipped it is sent rolled up in a box, and these 'rolls' stay part of the green for a week or too and then it is good to go. The three holes is great because you can pratice a 10' straight putt, ~8' left to right, and vice versa. I give a thumbs up for BigMoss (as far as portable greens go).

- Bryan