Digital Camera

pitbull808

What's everyone using?
I've been thinking about buying a new digital camera. I was wondering what everyone is using. Currently I've got a cheap Nikon. It's been great as far as being compact and cheap enough that I don't have to worry about it being in my golfbag or getting wet from a little rain. I'm thinking about getting something better that I can use to take family pictures and of course WITB tournament photos.

I've been looking at the http://www.dpreview.com/ website, and have been getting great ideas but there's nothing like actual user reviews.

So Golfwrx's what are you using and how about a sample photo!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old Sony DSC-707 has the best lens of any 5MP camera...I just purchased a DSC-M1 about 2 months ago.. also 5MP but very small and has the ability to take Mpeg4 video which is great... until I decide if I need a true video camera or not..... so far not.

That website you mentioned is by far the best.. been a member there for years...

5MP is fine for me until I feel the need to step up to a real camera...

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I have a Digital Rebel with an IS lens (Image Stablilization). IS is unreal. If you want to take tripod-quality pics without a need for a tripod, use IS.

For fit in the pocket pics, I have a Canon SD400, which is a very small feature packed 5MP bad boy.

steves digicams is also a good site.

I'm a Canon fan. PM me Reid if you want any more advice.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I have a Digital Rebel with an IS lens (Image Stablilization).  IS is unreal.  If you want to take tripod-quality pics without a need for a tripod, use IS.

For fit in the pocket pics, I have a Canon SD400, which is a very small feature packed 5MP bad boy.

I'm a Canon fan.  PM me Reid if you want any more advice.

28758[/snapback]

Can you shoot me a link to the IS lens that you are using? Thanks!

I have a Digital Rebel with an IS lens (Image Stablilization).  IS is unreal.  If you want to take tripod-quality pics without a need for a tripod, use IS.

28758[/snapback]

Can you shoot me a link to the IS lens that you are using? Thanks!

28760[/snapback]

This is a great 'walk around lens'. Still manageable. Anything larger, and the camera is just too heavy to walk around with comfortably. I use this lens all the time.

Here you go: 38mm-135mm IS Lens

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

28758[/snapback]

Thanks for the offer Rob! I was checking out Springbok's WITB photo's along with the tourney photo's he posted and loved the pictures he took He's using a Panasonic FZ20K 5mp/12x zoom. I really was curious as to what everyone else was using as I think it's really time I move up from my old, cheap, compact Nikon Coolpix 2500 to something better.

Thanks for the post and ideas guys, keep them coming! :clapping:

If you want to take amazing WITB at PGA events then you'll definitely need a DSLR with a telephoto lens...I'm thinking something in the 200-300 mm range. For portraits switch to a 50m, get a tripod and you'll get amazing results. As far as IS...my personally opinion is it's cool but if your a serious photographer forget it. Anyone who's a half decent photographer goes with a monopod or tripod. Plus any of the decent Canon L series lenses that come with IS cost an arm and a leg. If your just taking pictures for the heck of it then get a nice compact camera like the canon sd400/500, sony w7 etc. no need to waste your hard earned money on a DSLR if your not going to use the functionality.

Forget the DREB...the new DREB XT is light years beyond the old DREB...plus it comes in the cool all black magnesium body (new cmos sensor & 8.0 vs 6.0 mp). The DREB XT (Canon 350d) runs about $750 depending on what deals are available. I personally am using the Canon 20d which is an awesome camera...but a little more professional than the DREB XT. Both are prosumer cameras and if you don't need the extra functionality of the 20d then go for the DREB XT. Again, assess your needs because when you get into the DSLR region your looking at spending some coin on lenses.

NP Reid, you basically can't go wrong w/any digicam you get these days. 5MP for $300-400 will do nearly any job, print or web.

Just keep in mind the type of memory card. CF is super cheap. SD very cheap too.

Olympus C5050 5MP

It uses AA batteries and supports microdrive/Compact Flash/XD/SD cards!

Eric

29810[/snapback]

I like the idea of using AA batteries. It's such a pain using the rechargeable one in my Nikon. I'd rather have a handful of AA's in case it goes dead right when I need it.

Olympus C5050 5MP

Eric

29810[/snapback]

I like the idea of using AA batteries. It's such a pain using the rechargeable one in my Nikon. I'd rather have a handful of AA's in case it goes dead right when I need it.

29904[/snapback]

AA!!!! No!!! Say it ain't so...That's makes for a camera that's hella heavy! :clapping:

Olympus C5050 5MP

Eric

29810[/snapback]

29904[/snapback]

AA!!!! No!!! Say it ain't so...That's makes for a camera that's hella heavy! :clapping:

29935[/snapback]

Hmmm...never thougth about the weight issue. I know it can also be a pain in the butt when taking large amounts of pics. The Olympus we have at work that we use can really burn them up. Thank goodness for free AA's. :cheesy:

allroundview-001.jpg

inhand1-001.jpgbattery.jpg

DP Review:

Overall conclusion

In an ideal world buying an ultra compact camera would not involve any compromise at all. But this ain't a perfect world, and if you want a camera you really can carry with you anytime, anywhere then you have to accept there will be some trade-off in terms of absolute image quality. The SD400 is a fast, easy to use, well-specified camera that can genuinely claim to be pocket-sized, and it produces images that - whilst by no means perfect - are sharp, clean and colorful, and it does so with the minimum fuss. It's so small, and is so enjoyable to handle and use that you cannot help but take it with you wherever you go, something you might hesitate to do with a larger camera. It's also nice to be able to report that there is a noticeable (albeit small) image quality advantage to be had by buying the SD400 over the less expensive 4MP SD300.

Of course there are limits to what you can expect, but I was pleasantly surprised by the sharpness of the images produced by the SD400, even with the fringing and occasional soft corner. At the end of the day, where it matters to the target market; exposure, color, focus, speed and noise, the SD400 exceeds expectations. If you can live without manual control over exposure (or any indication of shutter speeds or apertures) this is the perfect pocket camera and an ideal alternative for the days you don't want to take a bigger camera out with you.

If it hadn't been for the lack of shutter speed information and the minor problems with edge sharpness and fringing, this would have been a Highly Recommended, as it is I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone wanting a small, fast, capable camera, and near the top of the 5MP ultra-compact tree.