2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

poorboy newbie shaft help

hi all fresh newbie here. just getting back into golf.

my driver swing speed ranges 92-108. but more consistently my 6 iron swing is 85.

my current driver is an old mizuno mp001 with a regular exsar shaft cut down to to 45. i went shorter to find consistency and with a regular to force learning better tempo

my delema is i really have to slow my driver swing down to the low 90's range to keep from really losing it. all my other clubs are stiff which i can go after more.

im only 5'8" with rather short legs and a long torso. all my clubs are standard length 2deg flat and seem perfect on the lie board.

im thinkin my new driver shaft should be 44.5 or so cuz of my height..... but doesnt taking that much off the shaft increase flex? i been looking at the older nv 65in stiff, fuji e360 in reg, pershing 65 stiff, and the ys7 and ys6 cuz of my budget. my delema is at 44.5 which shaft at what flex will play moderatly stiff but not feel like a board. im leaning toward the ys7 to help restore some swing weight but how much should i tipp it? any opinion are more than welcome.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut from the butt end and you won't notice the effect on flex..... all the shafts you listed are good but at least get on a LM at a Golfsmith or something to try to narrow it down. Throw the harrison saga into the mix as well.... works for lots of players. 44.5" is longer than a lot of tour pros of all sizes play. I'm 6"1 and usually play drivers at 44. I'd take control over distance on most holes.

And if you're hitting a little push fade and ending up in the first cut, aim farther left. There's nothing better in the game than a shot you can repeat consistently.

[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1343710189' post='5382436']
Cut from the butt end and you won't notice the effect on flex..... all the shafts you listed are good but at least get on a LM at a Golfsmith or something to try to narrow it down. Throw the harrison saga into the mix as well.... works for lots of players. 44.5" is longer than a lot of tour pros of all sizes play. I'm 6"1 and usually play drivers at 44. I'd take control over distance on most holes.

And if you're hitting a little push fade and ending up in the first cut, aim farther left. There's nothing better in the game than a shot you can repeat consistently.
[/quote] how did you replace swingweight? and what flex shaft? did cutting 2 inches feel like a full flex stiffer?

[quote name='akiracornell' timestamp='1343711391' post='5382504']
[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1343710189' post='5382436']

[/quote] how did you replace swingweight? and what flex shaft? did cutting 2 inches feel like a full flex stiffer?
[/quote]

Throw on some lead tape. If you cut the shaft from the butt end, you aren't changing flex very much at all.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

i read somwhere that 2 inches of butt trimming was equivalent to 1 full flex. i dont know how true that is so i was thinking go with reg and after trimming it would play to a stiff. plus im trying to factor in that many posts have said ys6 and 7 play a flex softer. so if a regular is like senior flex.... butt trimming would be 1 flex and tipping it would be another? am i way off here? hence i end up stiff with a shorter shaft. i want the ys6 or 7 because the feedback and feel that many posts have said about them.

i have played the v2 reg tipped and didnt like the feel. the nv65s was a good one. this exsar reg is floppy. i had a regular e360 in my 3 wood that just bombed further than my driver with the right swing. i want to try the ys+ series for tempo and feel. again just confused about what flex.

Just pulled the trigger on a reg flex ys7+ on e- butt. Thanks all. Did some research and i think it will be a good fit tipped 1 3/4 to play firm in standard bore head. Its lower torque and tipp stiff compared to the ys6 which i didnt realize. Hoping it playes similar to my reax 85 tp hybrid. I love that club. The straightest club in my bag latlely. Hoping the extra weight givesme that extra feel at the top. Sweet.

Congrats on the pickup..... hopefully it works well. I'm not too sure about the butt trim / flex altering thing. Maybe on a machine designed to measure, but I can attest for myself that I've never felt a shaft flex in the grip area as I've struck a ball.

It's kind of like swingweight. So many people chase a number when way it's measured really doesn't apply to on course situations. I could love one driver with D2 but hate the next one with the same weight. It's measured from a fulcrum point 14" down a shaft and can be manipulated 4 ways. Add/remove weight on the head end, add/remove weight from the butt end, add/remove weight from the shaft, and add/remove length from the shaft. I could give you 100 clubs all with the same swingweight that would all feel different. I could also just work on the butt end and despite the swingweight differences the club would feel the same in application.

Anyways, doesn't matter what end you cut from, it's dropping a ton, 3 points for each 1/2 inch cut off. It's not a "weight" thing but you're moving the fulcrum for measuring the number closer to the club head. Statically you're dropping very little weight with the trimming. The heavier shaft might give you a bit more feel in terms of "yes I'm holding a club" but the weight of the head is what you really feel magnified during the swing.

Bottom line..... don't get overly wrapped up in numbers. Yes, they're important, but make decisions off of what works for your game. I know it can be tough when we can't try a lot of stuff before we buy, but after a while you'll completely know what works for you.

Yah my current shaft is rated 60g and the new shaft before trim is 79g. My current set up is 45" and im going for 44.5 with the new shaft. My current wth minimal lead tape is d2 swing weight i kinda matched it to my long irons, fli-hi iron, and TM tp hybrid; that way tempo doest get too jacked up between clubs.
I just cannot get comfortable addressing a 46" club. Too much doubt creeps in. That shorter shaft just really helps confidence on the course that im not gonna be putting in someones house. Thanks again. Tipping seems.like such a guessing game. Once i add back some head weight its gonna increase some flex. Graphite design really rate there shaft slower. Got me a bit confused.

Higherground...

Im starting to see what your saying. I just swung a d5 weighted driver that feels more balanced and weighted like many of my d2 clubs. My d2 weighted driver just doesnt feel rite. It doesnt hit the pressure points in my hand the same. No wonder some people go through so many drivers till they find that one.

edit 20 minute later. did some experimenting and realized i put all my lead tape toward the heel to create draw bias. i put some on the toe now to restore the original balance. i think the problem was, i couldnt feel the toe with my right forefinger to help square the club through impact with all the weight in the heel. this club usually fades a bit and i over compensate with the right hand and ejnd up with a hook. maybe a weighted driver is in the cards for the future. sorry for the rant. im kinda neurotic ocd.

im hi handicap coming down. My handicaps normally 20+. Good chipping and putting get me in the 80's. on my home coarse I almost shot 1 over on the front but 3 putted the 9th hole for 39 the other day. my best round is 81 on 6350 yard course with small greens but pretty open fairways lined with large trees.

But as far as feel goes. Im learning to shape the ball. I just recently found you can get the right hand more involved in the swing instead of just timing the rolling of the left wrist. I try to feel how much my right hand rolls through the swing start to finish and especially at impact. Its One of my more recent swing thoughts.

i used to and still on occasion come over the top with an aggressive shoulder turn. my stock shot with a 7 iron use to be a 5 yard pull to 10 yard fade.

more recently Im learning to swing inside out, my right hand feels much more folded when coming down than it used to. It feels like i push down more with my right palm and turn at the same time. i also play a weak right hand like in hogans book so the turning or rolling of the right hand to impact zone puts pressure on the inside of the first digit. But again.with my driver when i try to compensate a pushed fade i often end up with a wicked hook. Too much right hand.

couple of udates here. as far as the feel thing goes i have realized that it is without a ball involved and more or less only a focus on practice swings to keep from slicing. when going throug the ball all i feel is the ball on impact.

got the ys7 plus regular tipped and extra 1/2 inch and it feels good. heavy.... 79g shaft. super low ball flight. i might struggle to carry some fairway bunkers. But where i live it gets hard as a rock in the summer so im expecting my roll outs out to be amazing. my ball flight is probably only 30 ft high. my carry will be short but im expecting 50 yards of roll. we'll see maybe i will post after a round.

i have cut it down to 44.5 which is really nice. i have drilled my driver head and put cotton balls in to replace swing weight. it has a very muted sound... like an old school metal. i used walmart jumbo cotton balls. 14 cotton balls gave me 5 swing weights. i had to take some out after i had the shaft installed as the extra 20g of shaft replaced some swing weight.

if any one is a high ball flier and wants more control the ys7+ will surely bring it down and the weight will help you know where it is.

this hacker is over and out and hopefully not sharing his non sense for a while.