2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

another miura fanboy thread

johl

hi all, im kind of new around here but though you guys would be the best people to ask my question regarding miura irons.

i have been doing quite a bit of research as i just recently fell in love with the game again and obviously miura irons also. having never seen a set in real life (i live in australia and there are not many dealers here) i am a bit hesitant to pull the trigger and go in for a fitting to get some. the reason i am hesitant is because only just getting back into the game after a long break. I used to play a lot when i was a teenager, but since growing up and joining the defence force, getting married and having a baby, i am now in a position where i can make time to enjoy the game again.

when i played every weekend as a teenager i got down to a handicap of 13 which i was pretty happy with, and now after playing maybe 4 rounds i am shooting around 90 on a good day and an average day would have me in the high 90's.

i know miura says that all players can benefit from using their clubs but would i be waisting my money? at my handicap i think it is very easy to shave shots off in a relatively short period, and I'm thinking being fit properly will give me the best start. but the opposite side of the argument is maybe my swing will change quite a bit between now and my goal handicap.

questions, opinions and personal experiences with theses clubs and higher handicaps are all welcome....

thanks for reading,

johl

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would not waste your time nor your money with Miura. The Miura PP 9003 irons are very easy to hit and show the same quality as the other Miura irons which are among the elite of all golf clubs. If the 9003 does not fit your eye or your handicap, you can obtain a set of irons that is geared to better players. I do not think that the golf world begins and ends with Miura clubs but they are among the very best. The quality is unsurpassed. Just my 2 cents.

I think you should definetly get fitted. Why not buy a set-cheap that you can practice for 6 months and when you feel confident enough go back to fitter to check your loft/lie angles and buy them. Your swing won't change your length or shaft that you need. You won't go from 80 mph swing to 95mph. Mostly loft and lie will change but getting fitted is probably the best way to know what to buy - especially a used set.

My situation is similar to yours. I left the game about five years ago. I had played for 25 years, hit my peak at around an 8 hcp, just wasn't improving and got bored and moved onto other things. This year, I came back to the game and found that after a few rounds, I'm actually playing reasonably well. I decided that rather than get back into old habits, having a fresh start, I'd go out and get fitted for whole new setup starting with some irons. My last set dated from the mid-90s, so it seemed a reasonable thing to do. After hitting a bunch of shafts and heads, I went with a set of Miura 501s with PXi 5.5s. By the launch monitors, the number improvement was staggering, picking up 28yds with my 6i. My set is arriving next week.

If you've got the bug back, I think it makes sense to go for it. With a good fitting, you'll know you have the sticks to get the job done. With the Miura CBs you'll have a club that feels sweet, goes well without sacrificing the feedback you need to keep improving. The price of entry aint cheap, but if you play them for the next 10 years, its a lot cheaper than buying a set of lesser stuff every other year.

[quote name='Tailwagger' timestamp='1344037920' post='5403994']
My situation is similar to yours. I left the game about five years ago. I had played for 25 years, hit my peak at around an 8 hcp, just wasn't improving and got bored and moved onto other things. This year, I came back to the game and found that after a few rounds, I'm actually playing reasonably well. I decided that rather than get back into old habits, having a fresh start, I'd go out and get fitted for whole new setup starting with some irons. My last set dated from the mid-90s, so it seemed a reasonable thing to do. After hitting a bunch of shafts and heads, I went with a set of Miura 501s with PXi 5.5s. By the launch monitors, the number improvement was staggering, picking up 28yds with my 6i. My set is arriving next week.

If you've got the bug back, I think it makes sense to go for it. With a good fitting, you'll know you have the sticks to get the job done. With the Miura CBs you'll have a club that feels sweet, goes well without sacrificing the feedback you need to keep improving. The price of entry aint cheap, but if you play them for the next 10 years, its a lot cheaper than buying a set of lesser stuff every other year.
[/quote]

Please share your thought once you received your miura 501...I'm thinking the same combo set ...thanks in advance

Buy what you fall in love with ... but be reasonable.

I am no magician with a club, but have hit a 7i blade at the range, makes me think I could handle blades, and maybe I will incorporate a few into my Miura PP-9003 eventually. But I enjoy the 9003. Get the club you like in your hands, twirl it around, see what fits your eye, compare it with the numbers you're getting, and have fun.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

[quote name='Kuk' timestamp='1344146308' post='5408736']
Please share your thought once you received your miura 501...I'm thinking the same combo set ...thanks in advance
[/quote]

Here is a review that I posted. [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/686718-new-custom-miura-combo-set/page__p__5192094#entry5192094"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/686718-new-custom-miura-combo-set/page__p__5192094#entry5192094[/url]

OP: If your low HDCP is 13, I would consider the PP-9003. They have by far the most forgiving grinds and largest sweet spot.

All other Miura grinds have sharper leading edges. I could see a 13 with any sort of dig, hurting themselves. But you should hit them all and make your own decision. Good luck!!!

thanks for the response guys, it is helping me make a decision.
are they that much better than mizuno? mizuno have a pretty good reputation with the feel of their irons as "buttery" and a lot of people end up comparing miura's to them. so are miura's THAT much better for the cost? maybe i'l have to find some where that stocks both clubs so I can spend some quality time with both manufacturers

Better than Mizuno?

The build quality of the club head is better - Miura makes their clubs to spec. Mizuno ... uh, not so much.

But Mizuno has higher tech goodies, while Miura is more down-to-earth basic research and goodness with perfect specs. I've owned several sets of both, and I prefer Miura.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Hey man I'm playing golf my third year now and I have been pretty active the first two and this one ont so much and i'm a 13.2 HCP player..

Last year I bought a set of 501's, km-007, y-grind and k-grind wedge.. My swing changes every week.... And still I LOVE these clubs.. The way I see it, my lie / lenght of the clubs should be fixed every week since my swing chance hence I didn't do a proper fitting.. I don't see the point when my swing will change over the year until I find something that really works... The way I see it, fitting is for people with a swing they always use, which I'm not... But I played first Ping i5 irons, then I bought Ping rapture irons and then the Miura ones.. I absolutely LOVE my Miuras..

Maybe this was just confusing, but I can honestly say I never played golf with such joy and also I play my best golf ever this year.. Miura is great.. And everyone stares too.. :)

If I can assist you with any help, feel free to message me!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kuk!

So after a bit of a prolonged wait, I finally got my irons, 5-PW CB-501s, today. After hitting a few in the studio where they were built, I went straight to the range and spent about 45 minutes hitting balls. Bottom line? No regrets at all. The clubs are simply wonderful. Nothing in my experience prepared me for how astonishing the difference would be. My only regret is that I didn't order a full set with wedges as well. That mistake will be rectified shortly. I am certain that after a lifetime of self doubt when addressing a ball with a 3 iron, with a properly fitted Miura, I could now hit it reliably. Evidence? Well, never in thirty years of playing (25 MPH tailwind excepted) have I never hit a 5 iron that carried 190-5 yds (and in this case with a range ball!!!) until a hour ago. And I did it repeatedly. Shot after shot after shot. With ease. First time out. Height perfect, dispersion low. If I set up for a cut, they gently cut; for a draw, same deal, opposite direction. Hit it a groove or two thin, my typical miss, lose maybe 10 yards at most. A little out on the toe, maybe 5.

Now I have no doubt that a very big piece of how well these sticks are performing for me is the fact that they were properly fitted and built by a true professional. If I live long enough to ever buy another set of clubs, Miura or otherwise, they will be built by a pro and they will be spined, matched, Flo'd or whatever other magic such wizards are capable of. With what I've just experienced, to do anything other than that would be a complete and utter waste of money. As we all know, in comparative terms these clubs are not inexpensive, but as a good friend of mine always reminds me, 'its not about the price, its about the value.' Having suffered so many less than satisfying shots apparently needlessly for so many years, I suspect the value of these clubs is many, many, many times the cost.

Maybe, as we said in a previous post, I could have saved a few hundred bucks, gone with MP-59s or the like and been equally satisfied/astonished. Whether that is the case or not, I'll never know as I'm totally content with my purchase and when it comes to golf clubs and true love, I prefer long term relationships to one night stands. Regardless, I will say that without a sliver of doubt, spending the extra coin going to a pro fitting and buying these Miura's is the single most intelligent thing I've ever done when the subject turns to golf. I'll game them this weekend first, but on Monday, it is a certainty that I'll be ordering up a matched set of wedges as well. YMMV, but I learned today that indeed some measure of true golfing nirvana is attainable for mere mortals with average swings. All the best and I hope whichever way you decide to go, it works out as well for you as it has so far for me.

Glad to hear you are happy. For many of us "club ho's" sometimes we opt to save some money (Mizunos) then always have our eye on what might be a little better. (Miura, Epon, etc.) So instead of focusing on improving your game and reading tips, one is instead compelled to constantly think that maybe just maybe I would be playing just a bit better or enjoying the game more if I had (xxxx) brand clubs instead. In my case I quit the wondering and jumped into JDM so I could get the arrows right so I can start working on the indian! Now let's see if it actually works!

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1345155154' post='5485014']
Glad to hear you are happy. For many of us "club ho's" sometimes we opt to save some money (Mizunos) then always have our eye on what might be a little better. (Miura, Epon, etc.) So instead of focusing on improving your game and reading tips, one is instead compelled to constantly think that maybe just maybe I would be playing just a bit better or enjoying the game more if I had (xxxx) brand clubs instead. In my case I quit the wondering and jumped into JDM so I could get the arrows right so I can start working on the indian! Now let's see if it actually works!
[/quote]
In my case, I truly just wanted to enjoy golf again and felt, after many past years spent wondering just how many bad shots might be the arrows fault, I'd start afresh and take as much of that out of the equation as I could by getting a quality product and fitting. And believe me I'm very thankful for the existence of the "ho's" as without all the review and opinions here and elsewhere I certainly never would have been even known of the existence of Miura in the first place.

Seeking, finding and improving equipment in any endeavor can be both beneficial and satisfying, but its equally true that the easiest trap one can fall into is committing the deadly sin of gear lust. In every discipline I've ever fell in and out of love with, the final kiss of death was winding up so in lust with the gear that I thought I absolutely had to have that I managed to completely forget why I was ever interested in acquiring it in the first place. My other currently active discipline is amateur racing an old Porsche 911. Its an extremely tidy, well built, prepped example to be sure, but given the cost of a winning race motor can run into many tens of thousands to first build and then maintain, I don't have one. As such my car is down at least a 100HP to most of my competition. Nevertheless on occasion I do best them. Sometimes its because all that high strung machinery ups and dies before race end. But just as often its attributable to the fact that I've run this same car for more than a decade now. We know each other so well that its second nature to consistently, lap after lap, get the maximum result possible out the combination. It's neither the winning-est nor the sexiest way of going about things and its certainly not the path of the professional, but developing a deep synergy with my equipment is a strategy that has served me well, kept me fully engaged and, it should be mentioned, saved me pocketfuls of money.

Awesome write up snd glad to hear you like them. You probably are right that the fitting process and club building by a pro accented your new nirvana - however; the Miura clubs will add to the added yards you are now seeing. Did you get your wedges? Wait till you hit those!! The are simply the best I have hit as well.

Enjoy in good health!