Our legacy

I didn't get to play Cypress when I was there. We played Tradition. Those greens kicked my butt! I don't know what they were rolling, but they were obscenely quick.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The greens were in great shape although not extremely quick, probably between 9 and 10 stimp. But they were smooth as a baby behind.

Ping I25 9.5* PWR65 Stiff
Callaway XHot 3 Wood Project X 6.0
Ping G30 19* Hybrids TFC 419H Stiff
Ping G30 4-UW CFS Distance Stiff
Ping Tour Gorge 54* & 58* CFS Stiff
Odyssey Works Rossie II
Bridgestone B330RX

• 4 weeks later...

I am 45 years old, but started playing golf only about 10 years ago.

I bought a starter set. Then bought a supposedly nice modern iron set. I acquired some modern woods as well. Then was given an older late '80s iron set, and liked how they looked, and played them. I discovered ebay when trying to complement that set. At some point I bought a late '70s iron set for $50.-, really liked them, and I was thinking how silly it was that people payed $800.- for new sets! I picked up some persimmon woods when a deal came along. I played older blades for a while, and when I struggled with those I bought another set of state-of-the-art super-forgiving irons, and I struggled even more with them. I have come to the conclusion that clubs really don't 'help' all that much, that it is up to the golfer to do the golfing. I have made some good strides towards fixing my game this season, and I look forward to next season.

Looking forward to next season includes deciding what to play. I have all sorts of clubs now. I haven't decided what to play yet, but I know that it won't be modern clubs. Looking at the newer and older clubs side by side, I have come to the conclusion that clubs that conform to my [u]personal[/u] idea of golf were mostly made before 1990. I have nothing to lose with this unusual preference (that I cannot explain) because I play golf for fun, not in competition.

Fade, Welcome to the "Classics" party. I like what you said in your post and agree that with a swing you can play anything. While over the last couple of months, I myself, have only played a couple of rounds with my "Modern" set (see my sig) and have played between 15 and 20 rounds with my "Classics". I have a post on another site comparing my scoring with my Classics vs my Modern set and it has only affected my handicap (I keep 2, one for modern and one for classics) index less than 1 stroke. The joy that I am getting playing my "Classics" far outweighs the index differential, and the looks on peoples faces when I am playing with anyone other than my regular group, when I pull the headcover of my Persimmon Driver on the first tee box is priceless. As the rounds go on the questions are never ending, and I have even had a few that I have played with ask for help setting up their own "Classics" bag. As you say, this is a game and we all play it for fun. Glad you are enjoying your walk in the past and hope you keep finding joy in your new way to play.

Fairways and Greens
Johnny Hack

Odyssey Works Rossie II
Bridgestone B330RX

[quote name='Johnny Hack' timestamp='1353807174' post='5974473']The joy that I am getting playing my "Classics" far outweighs the index differential, and the looks on peoples faces when I am playing with anyone other than my regular group, when I pull the headcover of my Persimmon Driver on the first tee box is priceless.[/quote]

Thank you for the welcome.

I get comments on my clubs sometimes as well, even when I just have the older irons in the bag! I am not sure why people think they are [b]that[/b] different! It often seems as if they cannot imagine that people enjoyed golf 30 years ago.

My golf is played at Club level in the NW of England, 60 miles N of Manchester. It has to be said that this area is not a golfing stronghold so the question of legacy barely arises. The commonest reaction to my playing with retro clubs (and often winning) is 'Just think what you could do with modern gear!'. Some of this is said in jest but most are deadly serious.
This forum and this thread in particular is a lifeline to me, Thanks and keep it coming.

Stixman, welcome to you as well. Your response to them should be " you gents are right, just think how much worse the drubbing I just gave you would be with modern clubs in my bag" , then a smile and a wink as you walk off

Odyssey Works Rossie II
Bridgestone B330RX

I too am of the age (58) where I learned this game as a kid playing wooden clubs with steel shafts and blade irons. I still own and intend to start playing my father's 1967 MT Tourney persimmon woods and recently bought set of 1964/65 DX Tourney irons.

At the time I started I didn't have the appreciation of the equpipment because that's what we all played. The only real difference for me was when I graduated from laminate Haig Ultras and MT's to actual persimmon. I felt like a real golfer then.

I remember how amazed I was in the mid 80's when I got my first Taylor Made Burner Plus metal head driver. That was the end of persimmon for me as well as a lot of others. Prior to that along came the Ping irons and my VIP irons became a thing of the past. To this day I remember a few of the perfectly stuck VIP forged blade shots and the feeling that cannot be described but has to be experienced.

I intend to primarily play with new technology bag that I have today but look forward to spending some walking rounds reliving the feel of what it was like to hit and hear true Persimmon, judge second shot distances with out a rangefinder and might carry an old Ping Anser or Bullsye without a headcover.

As far as future generations appreciating these types of clubs, I believe it will unfortunatley be like we were with Hickory. Something you had heard about but didn't dare try. That will be unfortunate but some call this progress.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Nspiel58' timestamp='1350189277' post='5791519']
Though I play only forged irons when I do get out, which is rarely (only 6, 9 hole rounds and 18 in a Senior tournament this year), I've been a bit too dependent on my Taylormade R7 and Hogan Big Ben when I've played the last 4 years. I pretty well quit playing golf for 15 years before getting back into it in 2009. I love persimmon woods, always have, being 54, but I finally made the decision to use a full set of Hogan persimmons the last time I went out. I played with two other guys I didn't know, but they said nothing about the woods, while playing their big Callaway and Ping drivers and offset cavity back irons. It wasn't until the 7th hole, where my drive ended up to the left of the green and over 270 yards, that one of the guys said, "I've never seen anyone play their second shot from there. Then on 9, a par 5, 464 yd hole from the whites, I had concerns about the fairway bunkers sitting 240 yards away. My tee shot sailed over the right hand bunker and amazingly stopped 40 yards clear. It was my longest, straightest drive ever on that hole, whereas I generally fade off into the right rough or out-of-bounds. My 4 wood approach landed on the green, but I 3 putted for par, disappointingly. What I've taken from this experience is that I shall no longer have any worries about playing my persimmon woods. They are quite satisfactorily long and even more accurate then my 46" 460s. I think it has something to do with their heavier weight as well.
[/quote]

That sir, is an absolutely gorgeous bag.

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

I got out today for the first time today since November. I bagged my Apex II irons, Hogan laminate woods, Ray Cook American Model 4 brass putter, the newest club in my bag was a Cleveland Classics 55* 691. I shot +12 and had a BLAST! I'm planning on classic clubs alot this year. My regular bad is pretty retro through. I normally play Titleist bullet back tour model blades, Titleist DCI fw woods, and a Macgregor NVG steel shafted driver. My wedges are fairly modern though.

I started playing in 1997 when I was 16. Persimmon was pretty much done by then. I'm glad I stumbled into classic clubs. I fimly believe blade technology hasn't improved in the last 40+ years. The prices can't be beat. I picked up the Hogan Apex IIs I played today for $25-$30 off of Craigslist, they even have Apex 5 shafts! I LOVE the classic stuff.