2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ireland Golf Trip in June 13'

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bother packing any rain/wind/cold gear that is not GoreTex. Think light and breathable layers, no bulky sweaters or fleece wear. Staying dry and having the flexibility to handle day to day or hour to hour swings in temperature is the key. You won't need shorts or ultra lightweight hot-weather shirts and you won't need stuff for near-freezing winter temps. But you'll want some clothing for everywhere in between those extremes. I'd also suggest jacket/pants/hat that are waterproof and leave the umbrella at home as rain is often accompanied by enough wind to make umbrellas a major hassle.

Forget the second courses at BallyB and Lahinch, and play the Old courses twice, if you can punt Adare and insert Tralee, or alternatively Waterville, you would be pleased. Agree on the above with respect to rain gear, make sure it's GoreTex, I don't know about shorts, maybe one pair, I've been going there for years and have only found a couple of warm, sunny days!

I actually really enjoyed Adare. Stayed on property at the condo's for a week. Depending on were you are going to be I played druids health and druids glen, K-club, and one other. Lots of fun, bring all four seasons even tho when I was there a few years ago it was sunny for the 2 and a half weeks I spent in england, Scotland, and ireland hahahaah

[quote name='MTNEER MAN' timestamp='1354910637' post='6034495']
Thank ya. Just talked to my buddy and we both decided to ditch. The Castle course and play Waterville. Both courses at Ballybunion and adare manor are in the package we got.
[/quote]

The second course at Ballyb is called, I think, the Cashen course. Many people say it is not as good as the first course at Ballybunion. I have played them both and, imho, the Cashen course is very good. I hope you enjoy playing it. I did,

One possible reason it gets bad reviews from some people is that, quite simply, it is appreciably more difficult than the Old course (again, imho).

( Sorry - I was there in the month of Sept , so I can't really help with clothing recommendations in June ).

If you are staying at Adare you might want to be prepared to sing in the pub, when I was there it was "customary" for the patrons to sing a song, I sang Dixie!

Titleist 917 D2 w/ Fuji 9.5 Driver
Titleist 917 3Wood 15 degree w/ Diamano
Titleist 816 19 degree Hybrid w/ Aldilla Rogue
TaylorMade P750 Tour Proto 3-8 KBS C Taper Lite 110
TaylorMade P730 9-p2 KBS C TAPER Lite
Vokey SM6 56
Vokey SM6 62
Edel Custom fitted Putter

• 1 month later...

The Ballybunion New course is much more difficult than the Old and I agree with comment made above that it is major reason why people do not like it. It is no fun hitting ball straight and then not being able to find the ball. On many holes in the summer, off the fairway will mean automatically a lost ball, hence why it is unpopular with many handicap golfers. It is a very different course to the much more popular Old course.

If you have the chance, add Tralee. It is an absolute gem. When you start, you may wonder why anyone would say that but when you get on back 9, it is probably the best 9 holes of links golf in Ireland, even topping Waterville arguably and definitely a more stunning design and sterner test than Ballybunion Old without being unfair like Ballybunion New ( imho ).

By the way Waterville is a great course, particularly the back 9 where you disappear into canyons made from sand dunes on many holes. Be prepared as others say for varying conditions during a round as well as day to day . I have played par 3 17th in the morning with driver from 140 yards in the teeth of a gale and then as the sun sets at the end of day over a becalmed Atlantic used a pitching wedge ( on the same day ) or an another day a sand wedge when wind is behind you.

Thank ya. Just talked to my buddy and we both decided to ditch. The Castle course and play Waterville. Both courses at Ballybunion and adare manor are in the package we got.
[/quote]

Good call. Also, the Cashen course (2nd at Ballybunion) is an AWESOME course. You won't be disappointed However, if you really want to play the Old twice, duke the starter.

I live in Eire and the only advice I can give you is bring Wet Gear. Cant really predict what its gonna be like but I always have Waterproof Top in bag all year round. You will enjoy it no matter. Find a nice local bar for your evenings and it will put the icing on it for you. Eire is the home of hospitality.

[quote name='RedDevil99' timestamp='1359332973' post='6311187']
The Ballybunion New course is much more difficult than the Old and I agree with comment made above that it is major reason why people do not like it. It is no fun hitting ball straight and then not being able to find the ball. On many holes in the summer, off the fairway will mean automatically a lost ball, hence why it is unpopular with many handicap golfers. It is a very different course to the much more popular Old course.

If you have the chance, add Tralee. It is an absolute gem. When you start, you may wonder why anyone would say that but when you get on back 9, it is probably the best 9 holes of links golf in Ireland, even topping Waterville arguably and definitely a more stunning design and sterner test than Ballybunion Old without being unfair like Ballybunion New ( imho ).
[/quote]
Tralee is brilliant, I agree. I had the good fortune to play 7 of the best links in Ireland + N Ireland a few years ago, and Tralee was my favourite.

Agree with the Waterville and Tralee recs above, I would also add Dooks as a course to consider in the County Kerry area if you have time. Really fun course, located between Waterville and Tralee on the north side of the Ring of Kerry. I wouldn't necessarily play it over any of the other links mentioned (Ballybunion, Waterville, Tralee, or Lahinch), but if you're looking for another great links in the area this one often falls under the radar.

Callaway Epic SZ 10.5* AD-BB S
Callaway Epic SZ 13.5* Kaili S
Callaway Apex 18* Kuro Kage S
Callaway Apex CF 4-A DG X100
Hogan 55*/60* KBS S
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

My son and I played in Ireland last May. We were there for almost 3 weeks and played Portmarnock,European Club,Royal County Down,Portrush(Dunluce course)Portstewart,Ballyliffin(both courses), Doonbeg, Lahinch, Ballybunion(old course),Tralee and Waterville.

All were fabulous. I would not drop Lahinch--a fantastic course!! Also, I would avoid the K-Club and Adare Manor. You are there for the true Irish links courses. We have better Parkland Courses in the US. Why waste precious time and money on Irish parkland courses.

[quote name='vpd' timestamp='1359847762' post='6351577']
My son and I played in Ireland last May. We were there for almost 3 weeks and played Portmarnock,European Club,Royal County Down,Portrush(Dunluce course)Portstewart,Ballyliffin(both courses), Doonbeg, Lahinch, Ballybunion(old course),Tralee and Waterville.

All were fabulous. I would not drop Lahinch--a fantastic course!! Also, I would avoid the K-Club and Adare Manor. You are there for the true Irish links courses. We have better Parkland Courses in the US. Why waste precious time and money on Irish parkland courses.
[/quote]

Try Concra Wood. Beautiful. Check its website

I went in August, and agree with the others that temps and conditions will have you wearing everything from shorts to extra layers.

One thing I wish I had taken was a toque...when the wind is whipping mixed with a little rain, I was covering my ears with my hands for relief.

Multiple golf gloves and rain gloves are a good idea as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit to having a chuckle when I read the post about not being able to help with clothing recommendations for June because the author had visited in September :-) if only we had reliable seasons! It's often said that summertime is the best day of the year in Ireland.

The weather is impossible to predict. That said, in true Murphy's law fashion June and September are often times the Nicest two months of the year. Why? Because June is exam time, and September is back to a school time. Ain't Murphy a piece of work?

I certainly pack at least one pair of shorts when I'm going back home (how much room can they possibly take up?). A good gortex wet suit is an important item, which hopefully you'll not need.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]
That is the best move you could make. My dad and i did southwest ireland last july and Waterville and old head were better than Ballybunion and lahinch.

Bring a Gustbuster brand umbrella that can withstand high winds and rain, and a full gore tex zero restriction rainsuit with hat. In july almost every day we got poured on in the am and in the afternoon at about 3pm the sun popped out and it was gorgeous. Another thing in ireland it doesn't get dark til 9 at night in summer so you can play late if weather is hoseshit in the morning. Oh, a pair of zero restriction rain golf gloves is of paramount importance so you can swing club in the ever changing weather when rain comes through. Shorts and a winter beanie hat also. The day we played Lahinch it was 44 degrees in july with 35-40 mph gusts...that hat came in handy. As many posters have said prepare for all four seasons.