Did I say I had stopped buying stuff?...............

A while ago when I struggled to find the electric meter I gave myself a good talking to on the basis that I didn't need or want any more golf clubs and then.......

Dunlop Bob Charles 1-iron,the golfing equivalent of nuclear deterrent in matchplay when your opponent sees that skinny blade in the bag.No need to hit it,just fondle it occasionally and make it look as though you've decided on a different shot....

Lovely old full leather Bryant golf bag once used by 'Bob Jamieson Crieff Golf Club'.I think the same Bob Jamieson was pro at Turnberry for a number of years and I'm doing 'Karate Kid' polishing with hide food to restore its lustre.

Wilson Staff Fluid Feel irons with R500 shafts,different to my other set which have wider soles and knurled hosels but a lovely blade and hope to try them tomorrow.

Tom Morris 'Summit' irons and Bob Charles woods,couldn't pass on those could I?

Macgregor Bob Toski putter with hickory shaft which may be a home replacement but which fits perfectly and putts very well and as I've struggled to find an interesting lefty,vintage Macgregor putter I couldn't resist.

So I've restrained myself very well I think........

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the Bob Charles "signature," especially the "B." Even better if it's a rendering of his actual signature!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Okesa-

The Bob Charles 1 iron is a stunner, and it is a copy of his signature...could this be a cast club?
Never saw anything like that here. The rest of that signature set would be akin to a limited edition.

Those late '80s Wilson Staff "Fluid Feel" irons are great combination between the '76 "Staff" stamp and the "Fluid Feel" drill thru hosel from the earlier Dynapower (1957-1975)era. Full disclosure-
The RH iron sets have the "W/S" shield stamp under the mill cut, but to my knowledge, NONE of the LH irons do. "Different suppliers" was the answer Wilson gave then.

Your MacGregor Toski putter appears to have been a stretch at getting into the Hickory clubs division somewhere. Your struggles with finding a LH MacGregor putter....what style are you looking for?

[quote name='guisician' timestamp='1355464390' post='6066765']
[quote name='dbringans' timestamp='1355444950' post='6065229']
Okesa - I think this might interest you. Bob Charles showing off the clubs he won the Open with...

http://youtu.be/Dv5PHbUopJ8
[/quote]

dbringans,

Thanks for the great Bob Charles link. Here's a somewhat longer version:

http://youtu.be/9ll5RtQDGWw

Don't know what's better, seeing him eagle a par 4 in a NZ outing a few years ago or his receiving congratulations afterward from his young "trolley"-wheeling partner as he glides alongside smiling at 73 years of age, bag on his back.
[/quote]

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Okesa-

No, you're not done....

Considering this Dunlop "signature" set Sir Bob Charles used to win the Open Championship almost 50 years ago...

No wonder this "barrel" club caught my eye over 35 years ago...

[attachment=1453531:100_9966.JPG]

It confirms this as a timeless design...

Didn't Moe Norman also agree- "Heavier clubs help you hit it straighter"...?

...and "Charlie" still carrying his own bag...and "slam dunk" at 73...

Priceless....

PS- Someone auctioned a set of these Dunlop Bob Charles irons (2-10) last year on EBay...

[size=5]Thank you all for the wonderful responses and of course I'm delighted that you have enjoyed seeing them,there has to be a further story worth hearing about 'dbringans',a proud Kiwi with (unless I'm mistaken) a George Knudson avatar?[/size]
[size=5]Lovely footage of Sir Bob looking immaculate as ever and a truly great ambassador for the game and interesting to see those Open-winning clubs,persimmon headed woods as far as I can see which were never offered by Dunlop and a Haig Ultra wedge,the note at the bottom of the cabinet says the 'original Wilson sand wedge',wonder if that too was a Haig Ultra?[/size]
[size=5]I did own a full set of the signature irons back in the early '80's,3-sw and 1,2,3,4 woods but not a 1-iron!These are a cast club and a mirror image of the Dunlop 'Peter Thomson' signature irons from around the same period,I ditched my Bob Charles to buy a set of the Titleist Tour Model that had become available in left hand and which I still think is one of the best left-handed blades ever made although to be honest I love 'em all which is probably why I keep buying the bloody things![/size]

[size=5]Burton,as far as lefty Mac putters are concerned I always hankered after one like Frank Stranahan (see other thread) used but have seen very few vintage Macgregor putters the right way round![/size]
[size=5]There is or was a Jimmy Demaret putter on ebay but by the time the club is shipped to the UK and the carrier and government have mugged me with import duty and tax and anything else they can think of charging for it becomes a very expensive exercise,I did it recently to buy a Wilson Staff JPII custom sand wedge because I'd never seen another in left hand and it was a genuine 'must have' to go in my Faldo 'tribute' bag,I've ended up using it all the time I like it so much.[/size]
[size=5]Took the 'Toski' onto the course today and putted well with it,on very close inspection it's apparent that it is a garden shed reshaft but I'm not fussed,it's quirky and works so what the heck![/size]

• 1 month later...

[size=4]My original post was about the early Xmas presents I bought myself and as it's nearly Easter(Honest!Eggs in the Supermarkets!) I thought I should try to buy these (and did) and they don't really count as they are only a half set,3,5,7,9,irons and a matching sand wedge.[/size]
[size=4]Two great names,Henry Cotton and George Nicol o'Leven,I hope you find them as droolworthy as I do and hope they will get the Burton Seal of Approval![attachment=1532495:$T2eC16Z,!)!E9s2fDO1UBRESL5i0Qg~~60_58.jpg][/size]

[attachment=1556649:1970_US_finalistforged_main.png][attachment=1556649:1970_US_finalistforged_main.png][attachment=1556649:1970_US_finalistforged_main.png]Burton,I will try to post some better pics of all interesting stuff in near future on a rainy day when I can't hit the course.(No problem hitting the course,specific areas like fairways and greens is a bit more tricky!)
Also,consider this if you would be so kind;whilst trawling through the Titleist club archive I found reference to an Acushnet 'Finalist' forged blade which I like very much and which was available LEFT HANDED!Have you any experience of them?
Quite similar to the Nicol Cotton irons with the mid-blade muscle which on the Cottons was known as the 'Powerbar' feature and might be a typical design idea from the '70's.

Sorry!Dodgy laptop to blame,not operator failure but rather than edit have left as a reminder of the yound assistant pro at a busy municipal course who was left on his own when the boss went out to give a lesson.Customer arrived and asked for a round of golf and a hire set,the lad had no idea where they were kept but seeing a scruffy bag full of used clubs handed it over and off the customer went.
On his return the pro asked the youth how he'd managed and where had he put the bag full of demo 7 irons that had been left there?"Err,umm,demo irons?Err,I thought they were a hire set..",the pro was not amused but could see that he was partly to blame and would just have to apologise and give a refund if necessary.
When the customer finally returned,he tipped the youth 2/6d and said to the pro"Smashing young lad you've got there,best game I've ever had and all down to that great set of clubs he sorted out for me!"

Just happened to check out this post and I see you guys talking about lefty classics and I have a couple that maybe you might know more a about.

The first one is a 1+ Ben Hogan LH Bounce Sole Equalizer Wedge. From what I know about Hogan's the BH intials inside the Sun Burst logo dates it back to the 50's.

The second club is a Brass/Zinc Dunlop Putter that I have no clue about the time frame it is from but it is a very nice weighted putter that I would love to use IF I was a lefty.

Here are the pics:

These Ben Hogan 1+ irons date from 1970. I also have these iron heads, 2-E,

Titleist "Finalist" LH models? This was also a modified design of the Wilson Staff Dynapowers from the '50s. These were also the Walter Hagen "Ultra" design models from the '50s.
I had that LH Dunlop model putter in my bag along with the Bob Charles Professional clubs for a few rounds, then went to a LH PING DaleHead Anser.....40 years ago.

Teevons might know whether any LH Ben Hogan irons were made in the 1950s...To my knowledge, they were not.
Since Ben Hogan never offered LH Persimmon woods, it might be difficult to find any LH Ben Hogan clubs prior to 1970.

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1361832950' post='6501835']
[attachment=1556649:1970_US_finalistforged_main.png][attachment=1556649:1970_US_finalistforged_main.png][attachment=1556649:1970_US_finalistforged_main.png]
Quite similar to the Nicol Cotton irons with the mid-blade muscle which on the Cottons was known as the 'Powerbar' feature and might be a typical design idea from the '70's.
[/quote]

Can't look at a mid-blade muscles and not trace them back to something like this:

[attachment=1559879:image.jpg]

[attachment=1559881:image.jpg]

[attachment=1559883:image.jpg]

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1361937507' post='6511315']
These Ben Hogan 1+ irons date from 1970. I also have these iron heads, 2-E,

Titleist "Finalist" LH models? This was also a modified design of the Wilson Staff Dynapowers from the '50s. These were also the Walter Hagen "Ultra" design models from the '50s.
I had that LH Dunlop model putter in my bag along with the Bob Charles Professional clubs for a few rounds, then went to a LH PING DaleHead Anser.....40 years ago.

Teevons might know whether any LH Ben Hogan irons were made in the 1950s...To my knowledge, they were not.
Since Ben Hogan never offered LH Persimmon woods, it might be difficult to find any LH Ben Hogan clubs prior to 1970.
[/quote]
Rex I have attached the ad from 1969 stating these are his first left handed clubs.... But I have as far as I know the only left handed set from 58-59, all original with grips and shafts and serial numbers on ferrules. Must have been special ordered for a close friend??
I also was able to purchase a large lot of new old stock Ben Hogan laminated heads, over 100 in the box. In the box of laminated were a set of left handed Hogan persimmon woods, Hogan model. The person i acquired them from was a close friend of Les Young, a friend of Hogans and his personal wood maker. He was responsible for Hogan getting his first club job. They were part of a storage locker purchased in the 90's from the Young family.Les Young was a clubmaker pro from New Jersey and worked on Hogan woods , just as Gene Sheely would grind his irons
All these items are in boxes as my house is for sale so it would be tough to get too for pics for now

Nice Tim!!

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

Yes,thanks guys,lovely stuff but also sad to think that there's nothing happening at Ben Hogan Golf now.
I find it interesting how blades have developed,the mid-muscle design seems to be long gone presumably because blades with a lower muscle were easier to hit,although I get plenty of height and length with my Cotton irons which have Pro-Fit 'S' shafts.
Any thoughts?
And has anyone actually played the 'Finalist' irons?

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1361965333' post='6512297']
Yes,thanks guys,lovely stuff but also sad to think that there's nothing happening at Ben Hogan Golf now.
I find it interesting how blades have developed,the mid-muscle design seems to be long gone presumably because blades with a lower muscle were easier to hit,although I get plenty of height and length with my Cotton irons which have Pro-Fit 'S' shafts.
Any thoughts?
And has anyone actually played the 'Finalist' irons?
[/quote]

Great Stuff here and interesting and it ia a sad thing that Hogan Golf is no longer producing the clubs.

I myself am right handed but when I saw that lone LH 1+ Hogan sitting in the Goodwill barrel,, I snatched it up to save it from the dump.

I am a Hogan fanatic and collect them no matter what condition, shape, form or fashion. As such I am going to start a separate thread on Hogan Golf and add some pics of my clubs and maybe you guys with all this wonderfull knowledge can jump in and treat us all to that knowledge before it is burried in the of the greatest bunker of all,,,, "The Sands of Time"

Cheers guys and I am so glad I found this forum,,

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1355174294' post='6047665']
[size=5]A while ago when I struggled to find the electric meter I gave myself a good talking to on the basis that I didn't need or want any more golf clubs and then.......[/size]

[size=5]Dunlop Bob Charles 1-iron,the golfing equivalent of nuclear deterrent in matchplay when your opponent sees that skinny blade in the bag.No need to hit it,just fondle it occasionally and make it look as though you've decided on a different shot....[/size]

[size=5]Lovely old full leather Bryant golf bag once used by 'Bob Jamieson Crieff Golf Club'.I think the same Bob Jamieson was pro at Turnberry for a number of years and I'm doing 'Karate Kid' polishing with hide food to restore its lustre.[/size]

[size=5]Wilson Staff Fluid Feel irons with R500 shafts,different to my other set which have wider soles and knurled hosels but a lovely blade and hope to try them tomorrow.[/size]

[size=5]Tom Morris 'Summit' irons and Bob Charles woods,couldn't pass on those could I?[/size]

[size=5]Macgregor Bob Toski putter with hickory shaft which may be a home replacement but which fits perfectly and putts very well and as I've struggled to find an interesting lefty,vintage Macgregor putter I couldn't resist.[/size]

[size=5]So I've restrained myself very well I think........[/size]
[/quote]

The Toski was possibly not a reshaft. It was offered in wood shaft as an option

CHARLEY PENNA

Great stuff!!! I feel like the prodigal son whenever I read the posts in this section. Hats off to Charlie and those like him that are willing to share their knowledge and experience in this forum. Much appreciated, it falls not on deaf ears.
[quote name='russad' timestamp='1361955803' post='6512165']
Very nice, I'm continually amazed at the depth of knowledge of you guys (guisician, teevons, rex235 etc) and really appreciate your willingness to share with others on this site, thank you!
[/quote]

BIG + 1 to all.

• 2 weeks later...

Right on!So much fascinating stuff appears here,I become immersed in threads that on the surface hold no interest for me but when I see xgolfx,majic,rex235,teevons,bella etc.,etc. I get sucked in,I just know it's going to be worthwhile!
Sort of on topic,I have just bought (my 3rd) set of Hogan Apex II irons which have sadly been reshafted with DGS300's,I was hoping for Apex shafts as one set I have is made up of oddments and the other has Vector shafts.Even sadder was to find on arrival that an effort had been made to 'clean' them using a steel kitchen scourer that has gouged the chrome badly.
There is something quite special about them and I enjoyed playing with them more than I have anything recently even my precious Nicoll's!
In true Ben Hogan style one word sums it all up,'Apex'.

Tim-

If you have ANY idea where that LH Hogan 58-59 set is, we just might have to schedule another cross country trip-
And if that wasn't enough, the copy of the LH Hogan Apex 1+ iron magazine ad......brilliant. Hogan used Apex shafts instead of Aluminum shafts during this 69-70 period. That alone would qualify as difficult.

Okesa-

See what you started.....:>D
We'll consult with others about finding a set of Hogan Apex shafts...

Titleist didn't make many LH model clubs at all during this period, so LH "Finalist" irons would be extremely rare.