2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Laser Link range finder.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one, and just sold it on eBay a couple days ago. I initially liked it for the same reasons you did, but I found that was hard to lock on a target, and therefore it took multiple shots to get accurate readings. The only exception was when there were prisms on the flagstick. In that case it was a quick, easy, and accurate measurement.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to purchase a Bushnell Medalist.

[quote name='craniac24' timestamp='1355289476' post='6055261']
I had one, and just sold it on eBay a couple days ago. I initially liked it for the same reasons you did, but I found that was hard to lock on a target, and therefore it took multiple shots to get accurate readings. The only exception was when there were prisms on the flagstick. In that case it was a quick, easy, and accurate measurement.

[/quote]

[quote name='craniac24' timestamp='1355289476' post='6055261']

[/quote]

You won't regret the Medalist! I've had one for years, works as good as ANY laser out there!

With the laserlink do you really know what your shooting at? I vote no. (I think every golf flag on the planet should have a prism!)

X________________________________ Sign Here

I agree w/Smoking Makes You Look Cool!, Prisms should be every where! They make shooting laser rangefinders so much easier.

I like the Laser Link rangefinders, especially the latest unit called the Switch. You can change it from reflector mode to non-reflector mode. My pro told me the laser in the Switch is a lot stronger then any of Laser Link other lasers, and that is what helps you grab the target faster and easier.

Just picked up a Leupold GX-1 for under $170.00 brand new on E bay. The unit picks up the prisms and lets you know with a little beep. It is very accurate. These also get great reviews on here. Very small and lightweight. The pouch is also very functional. Not many bells and whistles but I just want accurate yardages. Works great!

[quote name='Channing' timestamp='1355493577' post='6067465']
so if my course has prism on the flagsticks ... this is a good product? Is $195 for a relatively new one a good price?
[/quote]

It's a fantastic product if you're playing on courses with prisms. You can do better than $195 for "relatively new" though. Most gently used ones are selling on eBay for around $130-160.

My home club has prisms on the flagsticks and some pretty deep greens.

I bought the original Laser Link used on eBay. It's kind of beat up, but I got it for about $40.

It's super easy to use. I wear glasses, so I don't have a lot of interest in using a more traditional range finder.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

[quote name='jshel' timestamp='1355709974' post='6078719']
My home club has prisms on the flagsticks and some pretty deep greens.

I bought the original Laser Link used on eBay. It's kind of beat up, but I got it for about $40.

It's super easy to use. I wear glasses, so I don't have a lot of interest in using a more traditional range finder.
[/quote]

But what about the courses that don't have the prisms? Was it easy for you to pick up flags, trees, etc.

The prism reflectors are a "no brainer" -- They improve the performance of all laser rangefinders. Bushnell / Laser Link / Nikon / Leupold -- All work better with prism reflection!

In the long run "laser" is going to be the right choice for golf...... Every course has to have flagsicks. So why not have the flagsticks with the prisms? A no brainer!

I've never owned or used a laser link. But the people I've played with who had one... when there are prisms on the flag sticks... the unit is unbeatable.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

• 2 weeks later...

Looked hard at the Laser LInk this time around...replacing a 1600 I got rid of b/c I though I never really used it, but it only took a few rounds for me to realize that was a mistake.

Anyway, looked at getting another 1600, or a GX3, or Medalist, or the LaserLink Swtich. Played in a tournament with a gentleman who had an older version of the LaserLink (The Gold one, whichever that one is), and as others have mentioned, with prism reflectors it worked fine, very well, actually. Nice to just hold it up and shoot, no need to sight through it like normal models, Not so great on flagsticks without reflectors, however. Do-able, but not as easy. LL has a newer model out called the Switch, which has two modes, the reflector mode, and a "normal" mode which is supposed to work like a "standard" laser which sounds like a nice setup, but it's new enough that there aren't that many reviews out there. I wound up getting the medalist, a bit lower cost that the others, and a smaller and much lighter package than the 1600 I had previously, and am perfectly happy with the choice.

The LaserLink Switch does sound interesting, I would love to demo it and see how well it handles non-reflective targets, though.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

The thing I don't get about Laserlink is how do you know exactly what you have aimed at? I understand how it can easily grab the flag with a prism attached, but 95% 97% of the tracks I play don't have that wonderful feature. If I'm trying to shoot a "cluttered" target with trees or a slope behind it, what is the laser link really seeing?

I love the laser technology, but will stick with my Bushnell Medalist. Truth be told, most of my measuring requests are not pins, it's bunker lips, trees, hazard lines, etc.

Long story shot, I need cross-hairs baby!

Bushnell-Tour-Z6-Screenshot.jpg

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1357480371' post='6177407']
The thing I don't get about Laserlink is how do you know exactly what you have aimed at?
[/quote]

It has a red dot in the middle similar to the crosshairs, you just place the red dot on the target. IIRC, the red dot is illuminated so it's pretty easy to see.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

• 1 month later...

[quote name='lerm1224' timestamp='1355612155' post='6074111']
Well now I'm in between a red hot that's 150 and a medallist at 209. Thinking about going w the red hot. Especially for that price
[/quote]

Spend the extra and do it right the first time. JMO
OR.........Just get one for NovaOptik for the $150. Has free shipping. Been looking at the laser links and to me they aren't worth $50. JMHO

Cleveland Classic 270
R11 3 Wood/Tee XCG-V 5 wood
Ping i20's 3-PW
Vokey 50,54
Tour Issue Ghost Corza
Srixon XV / Volvik /TP-X

[quote name='Bodee' timestamp='1360510939' post='6399447']

[size=4]...Been looking at the laser links and to me they aren't worth $50. JMHO[/size]
[/quote]

Wow that's some statement there...

In the past I have had several Bushnells, the old 1000, the 1500, 1600, medalist, and a Nikon, and tested a leupold. Currently using a LaserLink Switch, granted I've only had it for one round, but I am very happy so far. It's pretty much point and shoot. The operate differently that the typical scan and shoot bino/mono style laser. Once one realizes that I think the LL wins hands down. When I started the round I was doing it wrong, and it might take 2 or 3 tries to get a yardage. Once I started using the LaserLink properly, i got the yardage first time every time instantly. Most picking one up in a store or for the first time will likely do the same and come away with a mistaken impression of the product, IMO.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

So not to be misunderstood, I was under the impression that if the course had prisms, the unit works great. But if it didn't, then to me it wasn't worth $50. There are no courses in my area that have them (prisms). Does the "Switch" model need the reflection or will they work just like a Bushnell or Leupold and scan anything?

Cleveland Classic 270
R11 3 Wood/Tee XCG-V 5 wood
Ping i20's 3-PW
Vokey 50,54
Tour Issue Ghost Corza
Srixon XV / Volvik /TP-X

[quote name='Bodee' timestamp='1360548020' post='6403133']
So not to be misunderstood, I was under the impression that if the course had prisms, the unit works great. But if it didn't, then to me it wasn't worth $50. There are no courses in my area that have them (prisms). Does the "Switch" model need the reflection or will they work just like a Bushnell or Leupold and scan anything?
[/quote]

The original models, now called QuckShot and Eagle, are what you at thinking of - that is, they require reflective prisms to work. So, yes if there are no prisms on the courses you are playing they won't work well at all. They also offer a model called the Red Hot, which is a laser system that does not require reflectors, and will scan anything just like a Bushnell, etc. The Switch combines both these modes into one unit, so that you get the "best of both worlds", essentially.

As I mentioned, I've only got one round on it, but I am very impressed so far. I posted this in another thread, but I used it Sat for the first time at a course that normally has reflectors, so I was pretty excited to try it out. Turns out, they had a State Assc. tourney later that day and the Assc. had put their pins out for the day, with no reflectors. So I used the non-reflector mode and it worked great.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

All are basically the same size, although the switch is slightly slimmer - check them out at laserlinkgolf.com. [size=4]They all operate essentially the same - you hold it up anywhere from a few inches to arms length, and look through the device, and line up a red dot inside a black circle on the target.[/size]

There another golf site out there that gave the swtich a pretty horrible review, but I believe either they got a bad unit, or the reviewer just wasn't using it correctly, as I didn't have any of the issues he did. Once I got comfortable with the unit, I would get a reading withing 1-2 seconds, and that was the non-reflector mode. QS mode should work even better, in theory.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

• 8 months later...