Okay, what local course would you love to play, but don't have access to...

Okay y'all... I figured I didn't want to start another Pine Valley or Augusta National thread... unless of course, you live in either New Jersey near the course, or Augusta or Atlanta...

But since having moved to San Francisco, I live within a 15 minute drive of 5 wonderful golf courses, of which I can play at only ONE! tickedoff Mind you, I'm not complaining, because I love Harding Park. What a golf course, and I'm just spoiled to get resident rates there...

BUT, man, I gotta say, I drive slowly everytime I drive over to Daly City and get the chance to see the Olympic Club (WOW! yahoo), and then a buddy told me about San Francisco Golf Club and California Golf Club of San Francisco, along with Lake Merced Golf Club... all of which are private (in some cases, VERY private) golf clubs.

So I decided (while on vacation) to drive by San Francisco Golf Club, and WHOA.... shocking shocking

It was unreal. Absolutely unreal, and I would have to say it's near the pinnacle of a golfing experience. There are no yardage markers, and no carts (unless you are medically disabled). I saw 4 golfers walking down a fairway with their caddies, and the course was just meticulous. Absolutely stunning.

Anyways... one day in my life, I only hope to be able to play these... and when I do, I'll be able to die after that.

So let's hear it from the rest of y'all... as I'm sure there are courses that you may (or may not) have access to, that you would LOVE to play...

Thanks!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to play Chicago GC, Butler National, Olympia Fields, Shoreacres, Rich Harvest, Conway Farms...ok that's a long list, I'll stop now.

NICE list of golf clubs.

It's amazing to me that there are SO MANY world-class courses in the Chicago area, for the weather it gets during the winter. Wow.. there must be some serious "old money" in Chicago.

Great list...

Well, that is tough. There are two nice courses near me. One which everyone knows (Valhalla) or a new course built a few miles from me (Olde Stone). I don't have a membership at either, but I work for a family that does and they have offered many times to take me but my schedule never worked out. So I guess I have a tie between Valhalla and Olde Stone here in Kentucky.

C.J.

I would love to play Chicago GC, Butler National, Olympia Fields, Shoreacres, Rich Harvest, Conway Farms...ok that's a long list, I'll stop now.

NICE list of golf clubs.

It's amazing to me that there are SO MANY world-class courses in the Chicago area, for the weather it gets during the winter. Wow.. there must be some serious "old money" in Chicago.

Great list...

Chicago is an amazing place for those that appreciate great golf courses. You have that entire list along with others like Medinah, Beverly, Bob O Link, Black Sheep, North Shore and many more...not to mention great golf downstate (Canyata = an amazing new course).

Mine ain't nothing fancy. I ive in Statesboro, GA and would love to play ForestHeights Country club. However, even being a ex Teaching pro, as well as doing the club repair for the course, I still can't get on :):(:cheesy:

There's a coupleof course I would love to play in Savannah, just drawing a blank right now. Come on..It's 245 in the morning and I have to get up for work in 45 minutes. LOL

-CHRIS-

I have to say in my local area i have played all the Private courses but two. That would be a local Privately owned club called Westmoreland C.C. and Long Vue C.C., Long Vue would be easier for me then Westmoreland. but i have already played Oakmont, South Point, Deer Run, Sewickly, Allegheny and Churchhill.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

i'm in the dallas ft. worth area and for me its between 4 courses:

1. Vaquero (sp)

2. TPC Craig Ranch

3. Dallas National

4. Colonial

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Mine ain't nothing fancy. I ive in Statesboro, GA and would love to play ForestHeights Country club. However, even being a ex Teaching pro, as well as doing the club repair for the course, I still can't get on :cheesy::(:lol:

There's a coupleof course I would love to play in Savannah, just drawing a blank right now. Come on..It's 245 in the morning and I have to get up for work in 45 minutes. LOL

-CHRIS-

Poor Chris.... LOL Can get all the tour stuff hook ups but not play a private Country CLub in the boonies of Georgia...... I find that actually really funny!!! :cheesy:

Lets see when COBA hold their tournment this year I will get you on our team if your still around. Don't really want to pay $450 a person to play in GSU Pro-Am. :)

Maybe I just ask my aunt and uncle to get us on this weekend. That if you promise not to see if your clubs can float! again!!

Andy

Well my list.....

(1)Augusta National of course live like 1 1/2 hours away away.

(2)Woodyards near Pooler, Ga ( Norman design) should have played it before it went private. But they do hold public tournments there.

(3) Forest Heights Country Club in Statesboro, Ga for Chris oh wait I've played there 10 times or so. LOL

(4) TPC @ Sugarloaf in Atlanta... worked at BellSouth tourn and sucked that I couldn't play it. Maybe if I get buddy buddy with some of committee members I could get on. (Sad part I worked in Pro Shop during tourn which made it even worse!!!!)

For me it would have to be Oak Hill CC in Rochester, NY.

A little history taken from their webpage:

The 2003 PGA championship featured 100 of the best players in the world. Contested over the pristinely groomed East Course, it provided a challenge that the best golfers in the world could not conquer. Tiger Woods proclaimed the East Course the hardest, fairest golf course the players have ever played and Ernie Ells agreed saying, "It is the best, fairest and toughest championship golf course I've ever played in all my years as a tour professional." Shaun Micheel was the eventual champion and one of only three people to tour all 72 holes under par.

How good is Oak Hill? In the five stroke play championships contested at Oak Hill, only 10 players have been under par. Not to bad for a grand old tract of land that has evolved into one of the golf’s hidden gems.

As Oak Hill looks into the future to the 2008 Senior PGA Championship, it will be able to lay a claim that no other golf club in the world can make. It will be the only club to have hosted the PGA Championship, the Ryder Cup, the United States Open, the United States Amateur, the United States Senior Open and the Senior PGA Championship! Not a bad claim for a golf club in upstate New York!

Driver - TaylorMade Stealth2 9* w/ Project X HZRDUS 6.0 60g

3 wood - Sonartec NP99 w/ Matrix Ozik 60R

Rescue - Sonartec TRC 20* w/ Graphalloy ProLaunch Blue 60R

Hybrid - Adams Pro 3,4 & 5 w/ Adila VS Proto 80R

Irons - Callaway 2007 X-Forged 6-P w/ Aerotech SteelFiber i95R

Wedge - Cleveland Black Tour Action 588 56* w/ Dynamic Gold wedge shaft

Putter - Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS 35" Stroke Lab shaft

I live in the Atlanta Area...and there are only two courses I want to play that I cant get on

1) Atlanta Athletic CLub

2) Peachtree Golf Club

TPC Sugarloaf is over rated and I am playing East Lake this spring so that leaves these two on my list.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w NEWTON MOTION SHAFT 6 DOT
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK C-TAPER 120 BLACK
Wedges: RTX6 50* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

I'm in Houston and would love to play Lochinvar Golf Club and River Oaks Country Club. I'm sure I will get the pleasure to play both at some point and I look forward to it.

You've got to add Carlton Woods to that list. Great course. I've played both Carlton Woods and Lochinvar. Two of the best I've ever set foot on. Lochinvar is not the most difficult, but it is the most meticulously cared for course I've ever played. For those unfamiliar with Lochinvar, this is where Butch Harmon was at and coached Tiger out there for some time. Most people in Houston golf have heard of it, not many know where it is even located and even less have actually played it.

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.0
TaylorMade M5 14* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
TaylorMade M5 19* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0
Ping i500 4-UW Recoil 110 F4
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50.0, 54 ES & 58 ES Recoil 110 F4
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28