2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Why Do You Buy JDM?

[quote name='AUDuffer' timestamp='1359738329' post='6343925']
How do you like the Tour VS? I've got a set coming and wanted to hear your thoughts!
[/quote]

As my first JDM set, their quality, balance and buttery feel opened my eyes to that whole category of clubs. I've never seen their unique rounded-off heel and toe grind on any other iron set. Though I've got Miura baby blades in the bag at the moment, it's certainly not because they're any better than the RC Tour VS which are the most forgiving players CBs I've hit. Since I'm a mid-high handicapper, YMMV, but I think you'll love them.

Playability aside, I like their look so much that they've replaced the Hogan wall of irons as my avatar!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1,000,000
[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1358197959' post='6227373']
Attention to detail.

I understandard that due to mass production, there has to be tolerances involved for many of the OEM's. I understand, I just don't have to like it. If I order a set at D1 across the board with specific lofts and lie angles, then that's what I expect. Yes, I could fix the lie angles after the fact, but no, I don't think I should have to any more then I expect to retouch a piece of a newly installed faucet or piece of software.
[/quote]

I have enjoyed the Taylomade 300 forged Japanese iron set immensely. I believe they were only available with rifle 5.5 or 6.5 shafts in Japan

Supposedly Miura forged.

55DCEF47-C360-4CFF-B2BB-573F13FF02E5-1563-0000016277534EDE_zpsd55a5f0c.jpg

2F348DC7-9478-4784-95A2-9D305EFBCDCD-1563-000001603A663D82_zps3b993ffd.jpg

739A8CC1-1FC6-4F52-A1AD-FF699FE9EC78-1563-0000015FFABDBF30_zps47133df7.jpg

6EF6F608-DDBE-43CF-94C6-132D73A2B049-292-0000002CDDDEADDD_zpsb52326c7.jpg

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

Topic tittle says Why do you buy JDM???

You guys (topeka- wobgon) don't buy JDM so why are you replying?

Define "no contest", define "by far" etc. etc. Could anyone really be more annoying??

Okay, can you define Troll?? same two show up every time to argue.... why??

Thin skin I guess. Congrats on jacking up ANOTHER thread.

Lets hear the comebacks, which will have nothing to do with the thread tittle.

And, I buy JDM because I want to. For me MBBG summed it up quite nicely in his opening statement.

I became so disgusted with USDM products, their custom ordered items were always so far off I thought
they were going to send a letter each time saying they were just kidding.

What I like and what I want is what I buy. The opinions of trolls are meaningless.

FWIW, the Irons Scratch produces (build) are all Forged in Japan.

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1358208705' post='6228671'] JDM stuff is not a value based purchase...and with golf stuff, I generally go with value over vanity
[/quote]

Good for you. Now we need to find a thread that says "Is JDM a good value or about vanity?"

You can't put a value on a set of Irons you love regardless of price.... wait, I'm
wrong, you can.

Priceless

[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1359959728' post='6359245']
Topic tittle says Why do you buy JDM???

You guys (topeka- wobgon) don't buy JDM so why are you replying?

Define "no contest", define "by far" etc. etc. Could anyone really be more annoying??

Okay, can you define Troll?? same two show up every time to argue.... why??

Thin skin I guess. Congrats on jacking up ANOTHER thread.

Lets hear the comebacks, which will have nothing to do with the thread tittle.

And, I buy JDM because I want to. For me MBBG summed it up quite nicely in his opening statement.

I became so disgusted with USDM products, their custom ordered items were always so far off I thought
they were going to send a letter each time saying they were just kidding.

What I like and what I want is what I buy. The opinions of trolls are meaningless.

FWIW, the Irons Scratch produces (build) are all Forged in Japan.

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1358208705' post='6228671'] JDM stuff is not a value based purchase...and with golf stuff, I generally go with value over vanity
[/quote]

Good for you. Now we need to find a thread that says "Is JDM a good value or about vanity?"

You can't put a value on a set of Irons you love regardless of price.... wait, I'm
wrong, you can.

Priceless
[/quote]

Looks like someone is a '49s fan :) I'm amazed how little it takes to get under some people's skin and how quickly some feel the need to resort to name calling, etc. I understand the need to keep threads on topic, but I'm not sure where it's required for everyone to share the same biased opinion....I have owned JDM product and as such, felt like offering my opinion...you don't have to like it (and clearly you don't agree) and you are certainly entitled to your own opinion as well...but I guess I'd leave you with the thought that how you feel about others and the need/desire to put names and labels on people says a lot more about you than it does about them...as someone in the customer service industry, I would think you'd have a bit more polite attitude...

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1360044005' post='6365561']
I would have to say vanity is number 1 reason

Same as guy who has to game an R1, people will justify anything ....... Just like any sport or hobby having to have absolute best is vanity

Vanity and ego is very abundant in golf industry and yes I have it too....
[/quote]

Apparently, you're one of the few who can admit it...Some people are clothes snobs, car snobs, etc....As you say, golf is no different...

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1360086378' post='6367525']

Same as guy who has to game an R1, people will justify anything ....... Just like any sport or hobby having to have absolute best is vanity

[/quote]

Apparently, you're one of the few who can admit it...Some people are clothes snobs, car snobs, etc....As you say, golf is no different...
[/quote]

Just because someone wants the best doesn't always indicate vanity. Often it does, but not all or even most of the time. Some people want the finer things just because THEY enjoy them, not for what anyone else thinks. I like certain suits because they are as well-made and detailed on the inside as the outside. Who sees that? Me and only me. Some only care what they look like on the outside. "Who cares what the thread on the inside lining looks like?", people say. Well, I do. And I sure as hell don't care if anyone else sees it.

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1360093075' post='6368123']
[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1360086378' post='6367525']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just because someone wants the best doesn't always indicate vanity. Often it does, but not all or even most of the time. Some people want the finer things just because THEY enjoy them, not for what anyone else thinks. I like certain suits because they are as well-made and detailed on the inside as the outside. Who sees that? Me and only me. Some only care what they look like on the outside. "Who cares what the thread on the inside lining looks like?", people say. Well, I do. And I sure as hell don't care if anyone else sees it.
[/quote]

Good for you...but that doesn't reflect my experience...and again, "vanity" isn't a dirty word....meaning "inflated pride in appearance"...there isn't anything wrong with that, but I don't know many people who buy a Rolex because it keeps such good time...the fact you care so much about how well made something is, is in fact, a function of vanity...again, nothing wrong with that...you can be vain simply for yourself...but it doesn't make it less true....I don't have expensive cars, but I really like to keep them clean...probably cleaner than is necessary...I like the way my cars look when they're clean...is it a bit vain? Most certainly....again, not a big deal, unless of course, you're attaching more meaning to the term than necessary.

Why does anyone feel the need to project purchasing motivations on anyone either here or in the regular equipment forums?

For every 10 people you ask you'll get 10 different reasons they buy the things they do.

There's a contingent here that has the same mindset as people that think anyone inside a BMW is a pretentious ***** that only owns this status symbol to satisfy their vanity.

It couldn't have anything to do with them enjoying the fit and finish, the quality engineering, or the performance, or the looks, or the exhilaration they feel while operating it. No siree.

I'm sure a certain percentage of any luxury purchase is made by pompous jag offs to satisfy their ego and to be a status symbol. There's also a certain percentage that buy them because they like it, enjoy it, and could give two sh!ts if anyone thinks its cool or not. Then a large percentage in between.

The people I golf with don't even know wtf my clubs even are. They don't care. They'd think I'd spent way more money on a full TM or Callaway bag than what I've got tied up in my JDM. I'd actually be embarrassed if everyone knew what I'd spent for my clubs. But I enjoy researching them, discussing them, getting and offering reviews on them, and trying new stuff.

It's basically turned into the Salem witch hunt around here. Either admit your vanity and lack of value sense or we will derail every thread until you do.

Couldn't agree with you more, MoreBeer. Other than proving that he and his troll firends are the cud-chewing flyover people that they're (vainly) proud of boasting they are, Mr. "Real" has accomplished only one thing here -- and I'm sure he's gotten off on it multiple times by now -- and that's the cutting off of the friendly talk between JDM aficionados here since the end of last year.

Personally, I find this a shame. And I would ask Mizzy, iDrive, Guisician, and others that I'm sure I'm forgetting to name, to just ignore the holier-than-thou's if they continue to feel the need to post here. I asked the moderators if there wasn't somethng more that could be done, but did not hear back... I'm sure they've noticed the fall-off in traffic here, if nothing else.

At any rate, let's try and move on from these trolls by ignoring them, and hopefully they'll get on their tractors and ride...

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

honestly, if it were vanity...i'd buy the newest tm or titleist to come out every other month as those clubs get FAR more attention than anything jdm. at some point people are just going to have to concede that their insights on morality can't be projected or stereotyped quite as much as they'd like to believe. these people also might need reminding that their beliefs don't reflect upon their character nearly as much as their behavior.

I said this on another topic, but it's a hobby, a passion, and for some it is a religion. I wander myself why I get sucked into JDM products, honestly I really wish I had never hit any of it. So I guess I answered my own question, for me it feel. Do I play better with thier products NO!, however I enjoy having something different, and something I know is manufactured to tight specs. Mostly I just love the feel, when I pure a JDM iron or Driver

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1360098096' post='6368561']
Why does anyone feel the need to project purchasing motivations on anyone either here or in the regular equipment forums?

For every 10 people you ask you'll get 10 different reasons they buy the things they do.

There's a contingent here that has the same mindset as people that think anyone inside a BMW is a pretentious ***** that only owns this status symbol to satisfy their vanity.

It couldn't have anything to do with them enjoying the fit and finish, the quality engineering, or the performance, or the looks, or the exhilaration they feel while operating it. No siree.

I'm sure a certain percentage of any luxury purchase is made by pompous jag offs to satisfy their ego and to be a status symbol. There's also a certain percentage that buy them because they like it, enjoy it, and could give two sh!ts if anyone thinks its cool or not. Then a large percentage in between.

The people I golf with don't even know wtf my clubs even are. They don't care. They'd think I'd spent way more money on a full TM or Callaway bag than what I've got tied up in my JDM. I'd actually be embarrassed if everyone knew what I'd spent for my clubs. But I enjoy researching them, discussing them, getting and offering reviews on them, and trying new stuff.

It's basically turned into the Salem witch hunt around here. Either admit your vanity and lack of value sense or we will derail every thread until you do.
[/quote]

I guess I don't understand why people fail to read an entire thread, only to pick and choose which portions they'd like to respond to, largely in an effort to selectively support their own narrow perspective. I don't believe I've ever stated that anyone who purchases JDM product does so LARGELY or ONLY due to reasons of vanity. However, I have said (and I stand by this) that if people really ONLY cared about "weight tolerance" and "finish" etc. JDM would not have the cultish following it does. A consumer can find those features in myriad OEM's, not only JDM...My position remains that vanity plays a role (for some large and for others less) in the vast majority of JDM purchases...the Japanese consumers have NO problem admitting that golf clubs are, in part, a status purchase...for some reason we have a bit more difficult time admitting this....I also don't believe that 10 different consumers will purchase for 10 different reasons...marketing and a basic understanding of human behavior simple refute this statement...there are commonalities as to why people behave and purchase in the manner they do...it isn't nearly as random as you would have people believe...again, purchase whatever you want for whatever reasons you want, but just because you don't like my opinion, doesn't mean the conversation is an "either or" "take it or leave it" position...

[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1360100860' post='6368837']
Couldn't agree with you more, MoreBeer. Other than proving that he and his troll firends are the cud-chewing flyover people that they're (vainly) proud of boasting they are, Mr. "Real" has accomplished only one thing here -- and I'm sure he's gotten off on it multiple times by now -- and that's the cutting off of the friendly talk between JDM aficionados here since the end of last year.

Personally, I find this a shame. And I would ask Mizzy, iDrive, Guisician, and others that I'm sure I'm forgetting to name, to just ignore the holier-than-thou's if they continue to feel the need to post here. I asked the moderators if there wasn't somethng more that could be done, but did not hear back... I'm sure they've noticed the fall-off in traffic here, if nothing else.

At any rate, let's try and move on from these trolls by ignoring them, and hopefully they'll get on their tractors and ride...
[/quote]
Personally, I find the idea that you know me and how I "get off" a bit concerning. Is there anything else about me you'd like to share? Also, I think you're giving me a bit too much credit. The JDM crew is free to converse as they see fit, but given this whole freedom of speech thing, I believe we're all allowed to offer our thoughts and opinions, even if they're not warmly received.

[/quote]

I drive a BMW, and have heard the "BMW drivers are pretentious ***holes" comment from plenty of people that didn't know that I drive one (AND from some who do!)

The difference is I'm not on Internet forums overreacting to anyone and everyone who says that about us. The reason? Because I don't care! Think whatever you want! I'm gonna keep on toolin around in my bimmer having a good time no matter what people think!

I simply don't understand why JDM fans can't take the same approach as I do as a BMW fan. Life's too short guys.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1360131169' post='6371533']
I drive a BMW, and have heard the "BMW drivers are pretentious ***holes" comment from plenty of people that didn't know that I drive one (AND from some who do!)

The difference is I'm not on Internet forums overreacting to anyone and everyone who says that about us. The reason? Because I don't care! Think whatever you want! I'm gonna keep on toolin around in my bimmer having a good time no matter what people think!
[/quote]

Because I don't care! Think whatever you want! I'm gonna keep on [s]toolin[/s] [u]playing[/u] around in my [s]bimmer [/s][u]JDM eq.[/u] having
a good time no matter what people think!

You wouldn't go on a BMW forum and tell people they drive the car because they are vain. They spend
too much, not a value purchase etc. etc etc. Get on MBWorld and tell the Mercedes owner his car isn't worth what he paid
for it.

Try it, see how they react. Just make sure they don't know where you live.

Like I have said repeatedly and been flamed for repeatedly, I don't care what anyone else thinks
about JDM. It's what I like. Putting me down for it isn't your place or responsibility.

This is the JDM forum. If you don't want to know about it or care about, stay the hell out.

Steve Martin said it best,

I don't neeeeeeeed yooooooooouuuuuuuuuu.

K, I'm done. Worn out from playing Golf all day.

[/quote]

I simply don't understand why JDM fans can't take the same approach as I do as a BMW fan. Life's too short guys.
[/quote]
this is probably the worst analogy you could have chosen. god forbid anyone hint at the tiniest negative perception about a bmw on any one of their forums. it turns into an online version of the jerry springer show!

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1360133133' post='6371585']

[/quote]

[/quote]
this is probably the worst analogy you could have chosen. god forbid anyone hint at the tiniest negative perception about a bmw on any one of their forums. it turns into an online version of the jerry springer show!
[/quote]

I didn't choose it, morebeer did, I was only responding to it.

And you're right, some BMW drivers do react that way, but I can choose whether to join them or not and I choose not to. People in this forum can make the same choice yet more often than not overreaction is the prevailing attitude.

I think if you guys took a good look at this section on the site you'd see that while some of the issues begin with a rude comment from someone who doesn't care for JDM they explode because of the reactions of those who like JDM, worse yet a lot of problems arise from attacking those who commit a perceived slight.

All the problems would be solved if people just ignored the comments they don't like. Then again some people like drama so it's possible that some people don't actually want to solve the problem.

I have enjoyed the Taylomade 300 forged Japanese iron set immensely. I believe they were only available with rifle 5.5 or 6.5 shafts in Japan

Supposedly Miura forged.

55DCEF47-C360-4CFF-B2BB-573F13FF02E5-1563-0000016277534EDE_zpsd55a5f0c.jpg

2F348DC7-9478-4784-95A2-9D305EFBCDCD-1563-000001603A663D82_zps3b993ffd.jpg

739A8CC1-1FC6-4F52-A1AD-FF699FE9EC78-1563-0000015FFABDBF30_zps47133df7.jpg

6EF6F608-DDBE-43CF-94C6-132D73A2B049-292-0000002CDDDEADDD_zpsb52326c7.jpg

Nice to see you 12. Good to see a high quality ho like your good self has ventured over here to the JDM forum.

Good day Op

Things are a little stale at the old home front. I somehow wandered over here to read some reviews before I committed to buying the s3 pro set. A few over here have a serious crush on those clubs.

Being this place is rather large I wandered some more, was wondering what the heck is jdm? Another great club noo! I guess it means Japanese domestic market.

So I figured I barely qualified to post in this area with my 300 set or the TourStage set.

Well it's a little early here, I had to drain the main vein, as I had a few last night. Night night Op keep up the good fight.

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

[quote name='12tamale' timestamp='1360142462' post='6371723']
Good day Op
Things are a little stale at the old home front. I somehow wandered over here to read some reviews before I committed to buying the s3 pro set. A few over here have a serious crush on those clubs.
Being this place is rather large I wandered some more, was wondering what the heck is jdm? Another great club noo! I guess it means Japanese domestic market.
So I figured I barely qualified to post in this area with my 300 set or the TourStage set.
Well it's a little early here, I had to drain the main vein, as I had a few last night. Night night Op keep up the good fight.
[/quote]
the s3 pros are the only u.s. iron that can compete with jdm's...but that's my own highly biased opinion. commit immediately!

Good day Op

the s3 pros are the only u.s. iron that can compete with jdm's...but that's my own highly biased opinion. commit immediately!

Ok you asked for it!

B6F43EE1-BE61-4482-9BF3-C1A080126BDB-2555-00000362C4A8531B_zps40381961.jpg

D09E0BD7-451E-452C-B4F4-B56A1C778FF1-1563-0000015CE43FE8D5_zpsb8f54015.jpg

72DD7B8D-C7F8-4E32-9A2F-EE3333B603D9-1563-0000015ACE987759_zps120c8afa.jpg

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

@Thrillhouse: <<Then again some people like drama so it's possible that some people don't actually want to solve the problem...>>

This is the definition of a troll.

<<All the problems would be solved if people just ignored the comments they don't like.>>

Agree, which is why I urged the actual members of this forum to do just that.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1360165090' post='6372833']
Wow that was quick! Haha awesome. Been wanting to try a set of those for a while.
[/quote]
I had to piss
It was 2:30 in the morning, I went back to bed for 2.5 hours more. Biological clock kicks in then.
There kind of nice. Real soft

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

One of the things that is missed about "what the pros play" vs the retail stuff, is that the pros have input into the product that hits the shelves. The MFGs test and refine clubs with input from the touring pros. So while I might know the exact specs I want and can order from JDM, Brandt or Phil and others knows that if they can get something particular of the shelf it was, at least partially, designed for them. Might take a little while for Nike to get there for Rory, but if he doesn't play well with his new gear, you'll see a new/refined model that fits him better. Alternately, they'll have some one offs made for him.