Screw it.... just hit the damn ball.

Springbok

So after months of trying to get the right wrist angle, watching my swing path, fixing my alignment, only to be even more frustrated, I just gave up this morning. I was hitting the ball so bad that I decided "Screw it". 5 years ago, I used to be able to crush a ball..... then I started taking lessons. The more technical I became, and the more lessons I took, the shorter I became. Today I reverted back to my old swing..... and I crushed the ball. It felt good. I am sure that my old swing is a little better than it used to be. It felt so damn good to crush the ball again. Not sure how the old swing will translate to irons, since I start with irons, then work to driver. We will see tomorrow.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that, within reason, we all concentrate too much on the 'perfect swing plane' or a 'swing that looks like Tiger's'...or whatever the fad of the moment is.

I sometimes wonder if Arnold Palmer would have been allowed to keep his unorthodox swing...if it wouldn't have been corrected by some teacher when he was young or some golf pro somewhere.

Sometimes you just have to make your own swing work for you...

I think that, within reason, we all concentrate too much on the 'perfect swing plane' or a 'swing that looks like Tiger's'...or whatever the fad of the moment is.

I sometimes wonder if Arnold Palmer would have been allowed to keep his unorthodox swing...if it wouldn't have been corrected by some teacher when he was young or some golf pro somewhere.

Sometimes you just have to make your own swing work for you...

Another example of that would be Jim Furyk, his swing is pretty unorthodox but it works for him, I'd say #2 in the world is pretty good lol.

First lesson I ever had just gave me the basic fundamentals, but the teacher let me adapt my own style. I went from shooting 100+ to the mid 80's in a few short weeks. Went to another teacher years later that was trying to completely change my swing and had me playing the worst golf ever. Luckily I wasn't at his course one day or I swear I would have strangled that man.

I agree with most here. Golf is about repeating something and getting the ball in the hole. If your swing is less than perfect but you know where the ball will finish on a consistent basis, I believe you will play much better because you aren't thinking "swing thought" all day. So what if you hit a 15 yd. slice every time. If you know its coming and you play it right, it can be as beautiful and predictable as someone else's tight little 3-4 yd. draw.

Hey Springbok:

I had something very similar happen to me this fall.

For all intents and purposes I totally lost my entire golf season back in May. I was teeing off at the second tee when I partially tore my Achilles. so, what ended up happening was for the next few months I made the mistake of reading a little (way) too much. Golf Digest here, Search For The Perfect Swing there, and so on my head was just filled with too much. I was doing nothing but topping balls and it had gotten so bad that I seeked my first lesson. I did take away some useful information from that lesson (improved spine angle) but the problem wasn't still fixed.

So, October came along and I was still trying to rebuild the swing that got me to where I was prior to the injury. I was still topping a lot of shots. So at the range that I frequent the owner, another regular and my guru sat me down. They told me after watching me struggle like this that I had gotten way too technical and that I was thinking too much about my swing and not letting it happen. For the record my wife told me the same thing way earlier (August). The exact words they said were "Alex when you first started hitting balls here you had a swing that didn't care. To the point it was lazy....no effort at all. Stop the reading, don't think, grab a bucket of ballls, stand over the ball and forget about anything that you read or have thought about and strike it."

Well I listened, and the striking was the best it was in long time if not ever. I was hitting down on the ball so well that I was filling the grooves of my irons with ball cover. Here's the point, sometimes reading etc is a good thing. But sometimes it's best to just do what comes natural and strike the ball...forget the reading. I know exactly what you're saying and good luck.

Hit'em Pure,

Alex

I feel the same way when i try to flatload my feet so i could snapload my power package that way i could amplify both lag and drag pressure threw impact fix as long as my number 2 power cumulator dund'ent break down i could reach maximum semtrepulal force with minium pivotal resistance, You see the pivot is a utilization of multiple centers to produce a circular motion for generating centrifugal force on our ajusted plane plus the main balace nest for the mutitude line dilvery path, See golf is geometricly oranted linger force it involves a phsyical muscular thrust and a geomertry of the circle, you could devide into 24 basic compents each have between have between 12 and 15 variations i wind up duffing the ball 12 yards,

Now my primary shot thought is just to make sure i've got good tempo

Dude, can't believe you didn't realise you were raising your head just before impact. ;)

Prolly dudnt reel eyz that with awl the trekky stuff hapinin thear!!!! :crazy:

Disclaimer: The above posted comments are in no way intended to offend, or anger, any viewers suffering from speaking, nor typing, deficiencies. Trashhaulinggolfer316 proudly provides solid waste removal services to more than one of these people in and around the Mobile and Baldwin County, AL areas. Those people are usually identified by having more than two vehicles in their front yard with no wheels and tires, but, they do have bumper stickers on them with at least one rebel flag, and the other a number symbalising a NASCAR vehical. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

THG

I feel the same way when i try to flatload my feet so i could snapload my power package that way i could amplify both lag and drag pressure threw impact fix as long as my number 2 power cumulator dund'ent break down i could reach maximum semtrepulal force with minium pivotal resistance, You see the pivot is a utilization of multiple centers to produce a circular motion for generating centrifugal force on our ajusted plane plus the main balace nest for the mutitude line dilvery path, See golf is geometricly oranted linger force it involves a phsyical muscular thrust and a geomertry of the circle, you could devide into 24 basic compents each have between have between 12 and 15 variations

Yeah, I saw that on ESPN too.

I feel the same way when i try to flatload my feet so i could snapload my power package that way i could amplify both lag and drag pressure threw impact fix as long as my number 2 power cumulator dund'ent break down i could reach maximum semtrepulal force with minium pivotal resistance, You see the pivot is a utilization of multiple centers to produce a circular motion for generating centrifugal force on our ajusted plane plus the main balace nest for the mutitude line dilvery path, See golf is geometricly oranted linger force it involves a phsyical muscular thrust and a geomertry of the circle, you could devide into 24 basic compents each have between have between 12 and 15 variations i wind up duffing the ball 12 yards,

Now my primary shot thought is just to make sure i've got good tempo

I'm still laughing about that...=]

KinG