2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Mizuno MP-33

• 3 months later...

Just got a set. This is my first foray into the world of blades, and I'm excited. I'll post after I put a round or two under my belt with them (which sadly will require a bit of a wait)

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

I have played these irons going on 5 years now. This past year I bought a set of Nike CCI Forged irons. They did not last 3 rounds in my bag. I am always interested in new irons but have not found anything that comes close to feel, trajectory, & yardage. I have my mp-33's bent 2 degrees flat and 2 degrees strong with DG S300. Love them, nothing comes close to the craftmenship of mizuno, maybe titleist - but not close enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just came back from the Golf World 2 day exhibition all major manufacturers had a stand there.

I wanted to see if there is a club to replace my old and trusty MP33.

I tried MP57, Mp67, MX25, Cobra CB, PING S59, and I or G something.

MP33 just feels so much more powerful then any other club, you can feel it when you strike the ball and with each swing you just want to hit ball harder and harder.

MP67 is very similar, not as good, but very close MP33.

MP57 feels dead at impact and can't feel clubhead at all

Cobra.... goood club close to MP67, solid feel

PING, so so, everything just draws a bit to much, cant fade the ball, to hard.

Sooo at the end conclusion is........................ polish my Mp33 and off we go again until next year.

Peter

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been playing Ping I3+ for years and just bought the Titleist AP2s and love them. Then I saw this preowned MP-33 set for $150 today (great condition, minimal wear on face, slightly bag chattered, 2-pw). I bought them. What a steal! I just hit them on the range and am confused...these felt so great...what to do with my AP2s? I want to keep both sets. Which set to play? Argh!!!

Titleist 913D2, 9.5, Phenom 60
Callaway X2 3Deep
Taylormade Rescue Dual TP, 19
Mizuno MP-64, 4-PW, C-Taper S
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
Titleist Vokey SM, 54, 60

• 1 month later...

Bought a used set on ebay because I wanted to try blades. Had previously been playing Titleist 762s for about 6 years, before that I played ping eye2 and ping zing. The set I bought was listed at 1/2" long but I think was actually 1" long. After hitting about 20 straight shanks on the range, the feel started to come around, and after a few months of playing these I feel my ballstriking has improved overall. My handicap is 11 now, I probably play an average of 1-2 times/week. I've been as low as a 4 hcp back in high school (I'm 28 now), feel I'm a pretty good ballstriker but my short game has been trash unless I play close to daily, which my job and location doesn't really allow. I have since bought a near mint set of MP 33s off ebay with x-100 shafts at standard length, which fit me much better, and I feel I am hitting these far better than my DCIs. For those mid-handicappers who strike the ball well, blades are not necessarily a scary proposition, especially these. I really think the increased feedback from blades has helped my swing with the driver and woods to help my game overall. Plus, the Mizzys look sweet in the bag, though less so with the neoprene headcovers I put on them to keep them fresh. Still keeping the other set as a backup, will be swapping the long shafts with my old DCI shafts.

Callaway Epic SZ 10.5* AD-BB S
Callaway Epic SZ 13.5* Kaili S
Callaway Apex 18* Kuro Kage S
Callaway Apex CF 4-A DG X100
Hogan 55*/60* KBS S
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

• 1 month later...

I bought a used set of MP-33s on ebay. They were listed as 'all standard' and I expected them to come with DG S300 shafts but they came with R300 Sensicore shafts. I got a good enough deal and I hit them well enough that I am very happy. As a high handicapper I am testament that anybody can play blades if they are dedicated. These are the only real game improvement clubs... Practice enough with them and your game will improve. Mine sure has. I really feel that my swing has improved 500% by playing these. I am learning so much about what a pure strike feels like, good alignment, and distance control. I am hitting more GIR and striking my irons very consistently after gaming these for a few weeks.

The feel is absolutely buttery soft, the trajectory is perfect - very piercing flight that cuts through the wind then drops out of the sky so that even a 4 iron from 190 will land and stop 10 feet after the ball mark. I regularly spin back PW and 9 irons even with the slightly worn grooves on my used set and the fairly spongy greens at my home course. This has really increased my confidence in attacking pins.

When you hit a poor shot you will know it - I tend to strike on the centerline of the club so I can't really distinguish if I have a heel or toe hit - but you really know it if you catch fat or, especially, thin. I have really increased my ballstriking ability due the amazing positive reinforcement created by a positive strike and the negative reinforcement made by a bad strike!!

I am going to get the loft and lie checked and I have a feeling these babies are going to stay in the bag forever and ever...

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• 7 months later...

I just purchased a set of MP 33's a couple days ago, and decided to try them out today. I absolutely love them! I have been hitting a set of Wilson FG-17's that I just regripped. Prior to that I was playing Titleist DCI762's. I really like the FG17's but wanted to get a set of irons with modern lofts. The MP33's are great, extremely accurate irons.

I really enjoyed how they played today and they truly are smooth off the face. I am very excited to play again with this set.

I am now looking to find a nice set of wedges that will go well with the set. The PW is 48.07. I normally play with PW, 52 GW, 56 SW, 60 LW, and take out the 3 iron, but I hit a great 3 iron shot today, so i'm thinking about going with a 54 deg and 58 deg wedge, with the PW. Has anyone tried this, experiences?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

TB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just got a brand new set of MP-33's for 300$ (canadian dollars). The 6 iron have been hit less than 10 times, with tape!!! The rest never been hit.

It was the last set at my local GolfTown near Montreal. So they discount them, I feel so lucky!!!

They have DG R300 in them but it's ok since I'm still new to the game and my swingspeed is not that fast.

I really love the feel of those clubs and I really believe they will help me get better.

3 sessions at the range and I already hit the ball better. Because I need to focus more to hit them well.

Just need to tell you.

I'm one lucky and happy golfer!

Pierre

• 3 weeks later...

MP-33 updates:

So I have a played a few rounds with my new set of used MP-33's. Again, I was playing DCI762's before, and these have easily out preformed the Titleist irons. What I am really amazed about it that I am longer with these blades.

I really don't understand it... I am even hitting my 3 and 4 irons longer. Why is it that I can play these longer? The DCI's had 2 degree stronger lofts... PW 46 deg, the MP33's PW is 48 deg. I carried a nine iron over a trap 140 yards, where with my DCI's I would have hit a 7 iron.

Can anyone explain why the Mizuno blades are longer?

I ended up getting a Mizuno 53 deg wedge and Titleist 58 deg to complete my set. I used to take the 3 iron out of my bag with the other set, but hit this one too well to avoid...

• 3 months later...

i have adams pro blacks now. they are great w/ the kbs shafts. my 2nd favorite so far. ive had miura forged tm cb's, the pro blacks, and some i3+ blades to compare. mp-33's are the boss and thats the end of the discussion... flush a mp-33 and its the best feeling in golf other than holing out from the fairway. Pick up a set if at all possible

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I started playing with MP33s. I learned alot, but didn't have the game to play them consistently. Although I didn't really have the swing at that time, I still remember puring a 7 iron. That feeling burned a hole in my mind. Fast forward to a good couple of years later (and quite a few iron sets later), and here I am, getting giddy over the feel of puring a RANGE ball at -12˚C with my new (old) MP33s.

The season can't start soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Best irons that I've ever had. Over the last 10 years I've went from Ping ISI NIckels (1 Year), to Precept Tour Premium (6 years), Mizuno MP33's for the last 3 years. In between I've went through a bunch of sets of irons that never made their way into the bag...titleists, clevelands...you name it I've hit it. The precept tour premiums couldn't be beat until I tried these. Wow. The ball flight is slightly higher than the precepts I was hitting, and although the precepts had a slight cavity I wouldnt say they were more forgiving than the MP33's. I was scared to hit blades and the first bucket did sting a bit, but once your swing is grooved these things are money. BEST feeling iron's I've ever hit. They are a tad shorter than iron sets that are "longer" like the Callaway X-14's but not by much. The feeling and control of these are uncomparable.

Stopped buying into the SGI and GI hype and purchased a club that will, what I believe, help me really improve on my game. Went from shooting 100's with hybrids to shooting consistently high 80's with blades in less than 6 months and am still improving on a regular basis, as a matter of fact the last time I was out I shot a 92 and it had nothing to do with these irons, it has to do with my 80 yards and in game including putting. I lost count on the amount of 3 putts I had. Goal is breaking 80 every once and a while and shooting consistently low 80s by the end of the summer. Since I was so horrible in the past I really can't compare distances but if I am really getting a hold of the ball I will hit a 5 iron around 195 approximately and my 150 club is a 9 iron. IMHO, the best purchase I have ever made. $100 used at play it again sports with s300's. May look into getting the heads back into like new shape but no need for that now. I am so in love with these things it's ridiculous.

JPX 850 9.5* Bimatrix Tour Prototype X-Stiff
910F 13.5* A4 Nventix Nunchuk
910H 17* A4 KBS Tour Steel Hybrid
Titleist AP2 714 4-PW AMT S300
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*
Scratch 8620 56*
Rife Bimini Tropical

[quote name='Jeph62' timestamp='1303157206' post='3165079']
It's amazing to look at the orignal dates of this thread.

I have played MP33s since 2001, and nothing has been able to kick them out. I have a newly refinished set of MP32's that haven't even hit a ball yet because I've been hitting the 33s so well this year.
[/quote]

Same here. I have used the 33's longer than any other iron. When my swing is on there is nothing better than a MP-33, but right now I'm off and even though they are probably the most forgiving "blade" ever, they're still unforgiving

That being said, 5 stars all the way!

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

• 2 weeks later...

Well, played my first game of the season this weekend with the 33s and all I can say is WOW!

The clubs are about 1 to 2 clubs longer than my previous irons (S59s with KBS and I5s with KBS). The feel and performance is unmatched. I seriously can't believe how good these clubs are. The only problem now, is that I have to rethink all my yardages! Oh well, I guess its a good thing.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gotta agree with all of you. Did a LOT of research at the start of this year on blades. Had previously been playing Callway X-Tours, which I found too heavy and not near workable enough, purchased some MP-57's at the end of last year after reading a number of reviews and recommendations for a forgiving players club, bought them off of Callwaypreowned.com, however they sent me MP-37's instead of 57's!! I'm glad they did though, because I fell in love with the buttery soft Mizuno feel, and decided to stick with blades, and try a couple more out. Had hit Cleveland CG1's before, and the Titleist 690's, in addition to MP-57's, MP-60's, and MP-30's. I loved the feel of the 37's, but didn't like the nitch taken out toward the toe, or the reverse offset as the degrees increased. After a number of hours online, found old posts about the Mizuno MP-33's, and couldn't find a bad review anywhere. Loved the look of them too, classic, nothing beats them. Picked up a set off eBay for $150 in amazing condition, no browning, grooves still sharp (whoever owned them before me apparently wasn't a ballstriker lol) and unavoidable bag chatter. S300 shafts. Can't even begin to describe the euphoria I felt when I hit these. Same feeling as the 37's, but liked the weighting more, and as has been already said in this thread, very forgiving for a blade. Found I could work the ball which ever way I wanted (could never do that with the x-tour's) and knockdown shots were a cinch, especially with a pw, which stopped dead for me. Re-gripped them, custom painted them royal blue and white, and I intend to keep these in the bag for a long, long time. These really are the perfect blade, they're so responsive and let you know what you're doing wrong, or right. Dropped down to a 5 handicap from a 9 in just about 3 weeks, and if I can get out and practice my short game a little more, I believe I'll keep going lower, these clubs just instill confidence in you. I'm so glad I found these, it's just too bad I didn't find them sooner, but ANYONE who comes across this thread and is looking for a good blade for their game, look no further than these. These are the gold standard, nothing beats them, and they WILL make you a bettter golfer.

[quote name='nearfall152' timestamp='1115179159' post='2985']
Let's hear it...

[attachment=712729:Mizuno MP-33.jpg]
[/quote]

Ok this is my first post here and probably my last. Unless things keep happening the way they did today. I shot my lowest score ever with my new/used 33s. I went into 16 -2 under in new territory. I had never been 2 under that deep into the round. Hardest hole on the course very long I hit a decent drive to about 170 to 180. I snap hook the 6 iron and drop 2 shots. I kept my head and hit that same 6 iron on the next hole a 180 yard par 3 blue flag. I usually hit my 5 there. I hit a pin seeker to about 8 feet and leave it out 2 inches. I ended up hitting birdie on the par 5 18th after sticking a GW to 3 feet. 71 It was the first time I ever went under par! My friend was tripping on me. He could not believe some of the shots I made today. I have gone par a couple of times, but usually shoot between 75 and 84. I cannot believe my first time out with the 33s and I go under par for the first time.

I was looking up the mp33 and this site came up so I went ahead and read the posts. I was already interested in them but the opinions clinched it. My first set of Mizzi'z were MP 30s. I bought some used mp32s over the past year and started scoring better with them right away.

I just bought some used MP33 s from Dallas Golf on ebay. I hit about 100 balls with Pw-7 and could not believe the buttery flavor. At first it seemed like they were ballooning because I never hit shots that high. I have a fairly penetrating flight but these things were flying high. I had them bent yesterday and stopped at the range on the way home. I couldnt help it. It was on the way home. I hit about 30 balls and right away the ball was not going where it used to. I wasnt surprised as I was just fitted yesterday so I had been playing clubs that were wrong for my swing plane. I knew this was the case I just couldnt get to a shop to have them bent.

I took the 33's out for the first time today. I needed to play them because I am going to play La Purisima and I didnt want to wait. Even though it was 105 out today I had to play with my new toys. I also had to know if the ball was ballooning and going to die in the wind. Very windy course La Purisima. No sir, thats a penetrating high flight. I found I could keep them down if I wanted pretty easily too. I came out of the gates with a birdie today although that was my 3 iron fli hi to the par 5. There is a long par 3 206 to the middle from the tips. It seems to play longer though especially to blue flags. And usually is a bogey for me or hard earned par. White flag today about 206. I hit 3 missed a bit and end up on the front fringe. I tell my friend I want to hit the 5 iron since I havent yet. I hit that thing right on the stick. 2 feet shy and 5 feet right.BIG HIGH 5. I was floored. I did not expect to hit the green. I have never hit a smooth 5 200 yards in my life. I strike the ball well but that was ridiculous. I hit that thing farther than my 3 on my best strikes. I cannot believe the feel on these things. I am absolutely in love love love with my MP 33s. You are all invited to the wedding.

I dont want to sell the others but I know I wont be playing them. I am adding them to my collection. I started it with some older Aussie Blades Maxfli/Dunlop. I guess the collection just grew a bit. I tried hitting the 32 the first day I hit the 33s. The 33s made the 32s and 30s feel like cast wal mart clubs. I am not kidding. I highly recommend these to anyone looking for a perfect blade. Even if they dont have the perfect swing. I miss a bit out toward the toe I found while fitting for lie angle. I was hitting the 6 in the simulation about 195 to 200 and told the guy that his machine was not accurate lol. Not only that look I hit that out a bit toward the toe how the hell am I gonna hit a 6 that far on a miss hit. Again if you hit the ball buy some of these while you still can. Wait scratch that. More for me. Im buying a back up as soon as I see one for a good price. I cant wait to see if I can get that 69 after I get to know these beauties.

I want to be buried with my MP33s.

Great199 out

• 1 month later...

Practiced this afternoon with my buddy JR. His MP-33 4 iron against my 24* hybrid.
I was losing our match. I then used his 4 iron. All I can say is WOW! Consistently longer and straighter!
I also hit his 6 iron and 8 iron, with the same better results, over my MX-25's.
I've said this before, nothing has ever felt as balanced or performed as well as Mizuno MP-33's.
Just when I told my wife my bag is set!

update:
Today, had all my lies checked. They were all over. Now properly fitted, my irons are performing nicely.

However, a couple of hours ago, I recv'd a call from a friend who has a set of MP-33's, in good condition and a great price.
I will check them out tomorrow.

[quote name='MightyMark' timestamp='1311472425' post='3417811']
Practiced this afternoon with my buddy JR. His MP-33 4 iron against my 24* hybrid.
I was losing our match. I then used his 4 iron. All I can say is WOW! Consistently longer and straighter!
I also hit his 6 iron and 8 iron, with the same better results, over my MX-25's.
I've said this before, nothing has ever felt as balanced or performed as well as Mizuno MP-33's.
Just when I told my wife my bag is set!

update:
Today, had all my lies checked. They were all over. Now properly fitted, my irons are performing nicely.

However, a couple of hours ago, I recv'd a call from a friend who has a set of MP-33's, in good condition and a great price.
I will check them out tomorrow.
[/quote]
I missed out. Clubs were sold! Just as well, my MX-25's are now dialed in.
Still, I always wanted MP-33's. I will probably re shaft my TP-9's to my specs.

UPDATE: Probably not!