Callaway/Nikon Trouble - Callaway Prevails - Good Read

Hello,

Recently I went through hell and back with a rangefiner issue between Callaway and Nikon.....here's what happened and the amazing solution:

Last Christmas, my grandma purchased a Callaway/Nikon Rangefinder and gave it to me as a present since I am an avid golfer and frequent tournament player. I’ve been in the market for one and had done extensive research on rangefinders. The best one for the money seemed to be the Callaway/Nikon line of finders. I used it weekly and never did anything abusive to the unit or exposed it to even the slightest bit of water. All of a sudden, the unit wouldn’t pick up yardages past 50 yards! I did some research online and saw that this was a little bit of a common theme among users. I figured out a way to “hard reset” the rangefinder and it didn’t seem to be a remedy. With my back up against the wall and a tournament a couple weeks out, I was forced to call Callaway. A very nice representative took my call and referred me to Nikon. I called them and they gave me the runaround and pointed the finger back at Callaway. They said I could ship the rangefinder to them (I pay for shipping), they’d analyze it, offer to make repair/quote the repair (I’d pay for the repair) and then ship it back (I’d pay for shipping). They said the cost would be around $140-$150 (without shipping) and could take 6-8 weeks. WHAT?!?!?!? That’s obscene! I couldn’t get the proof of purchase because my grandma lives in FL and she isn’t the best record keeper. Now, furious with the process, I decide to call the Callaway rep back and told him what happened. I then asked if I could speak with his manager. This was when I was connected with Brett. Brett was able to sympathize with my position and realized the Callaway Logo wasn’t living up to the typical high standard. He went WAY above and beyond to help me out. He asked if I’d give him some time to look into the situation and see what he could find/do. I, admittedly, figured I’d never hear back. Around 2 hours later a strange number called my cell and I answered. It was Brett! He told me he’d be able to help me out and would speak with the marketing company in house about obtaining a replacement and getting it to me at a quick time. He asked I send my “broken” one in (he sent me a 2 day shipping label at no cost to me) and asked I put a marking on it so it’d be directed to him. After obtaining, he called me THAT DAY and admitted the faulty unit was behaving as I described. After realizing Callaway is held to such a high standard, he had to make it right. I was so shocked at the high level of customer service he maintained with ME, just an average Joe he doesn’t know or ever met…..and not a tour player like Phil or Ernie….yet he continued to treat me like Callaway’s most important client!! He then said he was able to track a new RAZR unit down and would send it back to me in 2 days’ time to get to me in time for the weekend (I had a big Q Tournament I need to prepare yardage for). I got the package and it was a beautiful new, never touched, never opened box with a proper invoice and all paperwork needed; at no charge!!!!! THIS is what makes the world a better place. People like Brett should be recognized and rewarded for their high level of customer service and client maintenance. I can’t tell you how happy I was to have this resolved the right way. Not to mention, every time I called or left a voice mail, Bret returned the call within a couple hours and took time from his busy days to give me an update or feedback. Callaway proved to me that they’re very committed to high standards and treating their customers/golfers with loyalty and respect. I’ve told this story to so many people and continue to be a loyal Callaway patron. Thank you, Callaway….and especially Brett!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been having the same problem with my Callaway/Nikon unit. Nothing picking up > 100 yards.
I think they have 2 year warranties, or at least I hope so. I may have to give them a call soon.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Fantastic story, nice to hear Callaway did the right thing. Nicer still that you are telling everyone about it, good work and service is never praised enough. If you have not done this contact Brett's superiors and tell them what a great job he did and how impressed you are with their company. Callaways marketing manager is an active member on this site, think his user name is Callaway_HarryA, drop him a PM and let him know your satisfaction.

I own the LR550 and it has been great, so far no problems and I love how fast it is and the way it works

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

I have the same problem with a 1200lr.....got as a gift last fathers day........ Won't pick up any more than 160 yds.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 9* Tour AD DI 60S

Callaway Paradym  AI Smoke TD 3 Wood 15* Tour AD DI 70S

Callaway Paradym  AI Smoke TD 5 wood 18* Tour AD DI 70S

Callaway Apex Pro '24 irons 4-PW DG Tour issue x-100 

Callaway Jaws Black Raw wedges 50* 54* 58* DG tour issue x-100
2014 Newport 2 Scotty Cameron putter
2024 Smoke Staff Bag

• 1 year later...

My Callaway Diablo Octane started doing this also. I talked to Nikon today, connected through Callaway, and they sent me the info to return it to them. Since I have the box that came from Golfsmiths with a date under 2 years old they should not have an issue with it.

In my [img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/taylormade-small.jpg[/img][color=#000000] [/color][color=#2f4f4f]Golf Bag [/color]

[color=#000000][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/taylormade-small.jpg[/img][/color][color=#008080] [/color][color=#2f4f4f]SLDR 10.5*[/color] on [color=#000080][i][b]MRC [/b][/i]Fubuki Zt[/color]
[color=#008080][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/titelist-small.jpg[/img] [/color][color=#a52a2a]913F 15* [/color]on[i][b][color=#008080] [/color][color=#ffa07a]Project X [/color][/b][/i][color=#ffa07a]PXv[/color]
[color=#000080][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/mizuno-small.jpg[/img][/color][color=#0000cd] MP Fli Hi 18*, 21* & 24*[/color] on [color=#ff0000][i][b]KBS[/b][/i] Hybrid S [/color]
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/mizuno-small.jpg[/img] [color=#0000ff] MP68 5-P [/color]on [color=#ff0000][b][i]KBS[/i][/b] C Tapers[/color]
[color=#ff0000][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/mizuno-small.jpg[/img] [color=#0000ff] MP T Series 51-56[/color][/color] on [color=#daa520][i][b]True Temper [/b][/i]Dynamic Gold Wedge[/color]
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/scotty-small.jpg[/img] [color=#800000]Coronado[/color]

[color=#008080][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/titelist-small.jpg[/img] [/color][color=#b22222]Pro V1X [/color][color=#b22222][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/taylormade-small.jpg[/img][/color][color=#2f4f4f] Lethal[/color][color=#008080] [/color]
[color=#008080][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/footjoy-small.gif[/img][/color]

All grips are [color=#8b4513]Best Grips Micro-Perforated[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/991855-rover-ricks-bag-2014-today-well-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]