Has Anyone Found Pictures of Slim Phil Yet?

Charlie_Foxtrot

(This is not a Phil bashing thread.)
I'm curious to know if it's true or just a rumor.

EDIT: And there must be something to it. Check out the poll of the day on the ESPN golf page (scroll down to bottom right): http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/index

"Can losing weight negatively affect a golfer's swing?"

Curiouser and curiouser.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but here is what he had to say today in a press conference about his winter fitness program.

"And then I feel like the Ryder Cup performance was more of -- as opposed to a game problem, more of a physical problem. It's late in the year, it's the last tournament for me of the year and I don't feel as though I stood up physically throughout the nine months, and especially we're playing 36 holes a day. And I needed to address that.

So the last three or four months, I've done a lot with my trainer, Sean Cochran, to address that. I immediately lost 20, 25 pounds and put on about 10 to 15 more with muscle from lifting, trying to build up stamina doing 45 minutes to an hour and a half of cardio five or six days a week. I've started a new martial arts, a different type of martial art from what I've been doing. We also continued with our core strength and so forth. But I'm hoping that this will improve stamina so that at the latter part of the year I have a better performance."

:)

I say Yes.

I will amit to a time in my life where I wanted to be skinny and thought that girls would like me more.

This went on during high school and I found the I sucked I was the shortest hitter and I just sucked

Now weighing in at 160 170 (muscle) I can just pound the ball and I am a great golfer.

So depends on how much.

Saw the press conference yesterday and he said he had lost 20-25 pounds, but put on 15lbs of muscle. Im not sure if the 10lbs will be very noticeable, but hopefully he will win.

I saw that too, and would have to say that none of the weight loss or muscle gained showed in his face. To me he looked as flabby as ever. Nothing like he was a few years ago. Not hating, just stating... :drinks:

It would be interesting to see how he'd perform if he got himself into better shape. I think Tiger has proven once and for all that it is better to be a physically fit golfer than not. Also, maybe getting fit will help give Phil something to focus on and get his mind off of what happened at the 06 US Open.

I'm not entirely sure what happened to Duval, but it would seem important to balance your fitness goals with your golf and to train accordingly. But there is no shortage of expert opinions about that as well. I'd like to see a fitness trainer join and take on a central role with "Team Philly Mick" (maybe he/she could help Dave Pelz too).

I want Phil to keep realizing his potential and pushing Tiger. Having the two of them at the top of their games simultaneously is the best thing that could happen to golf as far as I'm concerned.

Saw the press conference yesterday and he said he had lost 20-25 pounds, but put on 15lbs of muscle. Im not sure if the 10lbs will be very noticeable, but hopefully he will win.

That would be VERY noticeable actually. The 25# of fat loss would work out to losing some serious inches around his waist. The 15# of muscle gain would be be noticeable because he's actually have more muscle tone coupled when with that fat loss.

Adding 15# of muscle in three or four months is something that would make me go hmmmm....

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade SIM 2  
3W: Honma TR21  
4-6: Honma TR-21V  

7-10: Honma TR21B  
52*: Vokey 52F
58*: Vokey 58D
64*: Vokey 64M (62 bent to 64)
Putter: Depends on the day and which ones are in time out
Ball: ProV1x

That would be VERY noticeable actually. The 25# of fat loss would work out to losing some serious inches around his waist. The 15# of muscle gain would be be noticeable because he's actually have more muscle tone coupled when with that fat loss.

Adding 15# of muscle in three or four months is something that would make me go hmmmm....

I thought the same thing. No way can you add 15 pounds of muscle in 3 months. I work out, I also have a buddy that workout ALOT to actually get bigger. He's gained around 40 pounds working out for 7-8 years. I just don't see it as a possiblilty. Look how long Tiger has been lifting. How many pounds has he gained since 97? 10 years ago not 3 months!!!

BTW- I did see the press conference and he didn't look any different to me but that was from the chest up at a table.

Tiger also didn't have all of that fat to turn into muscle - and I'm sure he was estimating...

You can't turn fat into muscle. Doesn't work that way.

:drinks: I'm pretty sure he was using a euphemism for losing fat/putting on muscle at the same time, but thanks for making me laugh thinking of fat actually turning into muscle.

Excerpt from TGC.com article (full article available here: http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?pa...mp;select=21554 )

The other lesson for Mickelson -- and this is nothing new -- was to look like he spends more time in the gym than at In-N-Out Burger.

One reason Lefty has done so well the first five months of the season is because he runs out of gas in the summer, and it doesn't help carrying excess baggage. One exception was in 2004, when he came within five shots at a chance of winning all four majors. And why did he play so well all year?

"I was in better shape," he said.

Lefty says he has lost 20 or 25 pounds during his long offseason and put on 15 pounds of muscle by including weightlifting to his regimen for the first time. He does cardio work for an hour a day, and he started a new martial arts program.

Lefty tees off at 12:15 p.m. today.

P.S. This thread shall now officially be referred to as " **Lefty Watch '07 !** " so as to seem more newsy and less stalkery.

Tiger also didn't have all of that fat to turn into muscle - and I'm sure he was estimating...

You can't turn fat into muscle. Doesn't work that way.

:drinks: I'm pretty sure he was using a euphemism for losing fat/putting on muscle at the same time, but thanks for making me laugh thinking of fat actually turning into muscle.

Phil didn't say that, That was a response to the other poster. But yeah it's funny when people think you can turn fat into muscle. Just like top spin on a drive when it rolls. LOL

Uhhh, this is in-shape Phil?

http://www.pgatour.com/

mickleson.t1.jpg

Well his belt is facing out instead of down...that's one step in the right direction!

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade SIM 2  
3W: Honma TR21  
4-6: Honma TR-21V  

7-10: Honma TR21B  
52*: Vokey 52F
58*: Vokey 58D
64*: Vokey 64M (62 bent to 64)
Putter: Depends on the day and which ones are in time out
Ball: ProV1x

C'mon Phil, get in shape like Duval did years ago. That worked out well, didn't it? :drinks:

On second thought, just stay thinner than Pelz and you'll be fine. :)

I can't remember, did Duval do well before he got in shape? I know he was okay for a while after.

Yep. Absolutely. He did very well when he was in his 'natural' shape. Did well for a while after, but 'overdid it', plus the vertigo.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

C'mon Phil, get in shape like Duval did years ago. That worked out well, didn't it? :drinks:

On second thought, just stay thinner than Pelz and you'll be fine. :)

I can't remember, did Duval do well before he got in shape? I know he was okay for a while after.

59...no not his waist...he shot that number and won a tournament :)

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]