2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Top-5 Virginia

jptruck

I'm curious of how this board ranks the top courses in Virginia. You obviously have to exclude most of the DC area courses because they are in Maryland. That leaves a lot of the suburban and mountain courses. Anyway, I'll start. I've played all of these. I think Meadows of Dan would be on the list, too, but I haven't played it.

1) Kinloch

2) RTJ

3) Homestead Cascades

4) Belle Haven

5) Farmington

Anyone?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to argue with those, but I would also throw out for consideration, some of the following.

Landsdowne Norman Course and Creighton Farms.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Richmond area players might have a completely different perspective on this list. . .I have not played the Foundry, CCV or Hermitage, but I think they would probably boot Farmington off my list pretty quick. Same goes for Ballyhack and Meadows of Dan. Pete Dye course at VT is a good candidate. Keswick might be good after Pete Dye finishes renovating. Who knows. All I know is my top-2 are very unlikely to change.

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1364414175' post='6708717']
Anyone in Richmond might have a completely different perspective on this list. . .I have not played the Foundry, CCV or Hermitage, but I think they would probably boot Farmington off my list pretty quick.
[/quote]
I was going to comment that I don't know anything about Farmington and also that I have never played any of the top Richmond clubs, but would think CCV would rank highly as well.

As for Creighton, same as you. I'm waiting for the right time, I may have an opportunity later this spring.

Vokey

[quote name='umassgolfer' timestamp='1364414945' post='6708797']
Lots of Folks would also throw Royal New Kent in there, depending how they feel about Mike Stranz courses
[/quote]
Yes, and lots would rather have their eyeballs scratched out than play it. it's truly a love or hate. I personally do like it.

Vokey

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1364416333' post='6708949']
Strantz has (had) that effect on people. I like Tobacco Rd. Never played Royal New Kent.
[/quote]
yes, I love Tobacco Road as well.

Vokey

Ah thanks. I was trying to remember Primlands name and couldn't recall it. It seems to be one of those mystery courses. Many people know about it but I haven't talked to many who have played it.

What about the new Trump course? Is it on the VA or MD side of the river. I'm not sure.

Vokey

CCV James River Course is a masterpiece. On the daily fee side in the Richmond area the Fazio designed Independence is a great track and home to the State Open routinely.

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

[quote name='firstbatch' timestamp='1364470606' post='6712575']
CCV James River Course is a masterpiece. On the daily fee side in the Richmond area the Fazio designed Independence is a great track and home to the State Open routinely.
[/quote]
I was going to play Indepence earlier this month when I was in town for the CAA buy it was closed because of the snow a few days before. But it is a great layout. Like it a lot.

We ended up at The Crossings, which was not bad for the money.

Vokey

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1364471580' post='6712623']
[/quote]
I was going to play Indepence earlier this month when I was in town for the CAA buy it was closed because of the snow a few days before. But it is a great layout. Like it a lot.

[/quote]
Probably just as well as Independence is a Bermuda grass warm weather track and the 4.5" above normal rainfall this year has put a hurting on fairway conditions. Come on spring!!

Kenny Giannini G6

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1364412988' post='6708597']
I'm curious of how this board ranks the top courses in Virginia. You obviously have to exclude most of the DC area courses because they are in Maryland. That leaves a lot of the suburban and mountain courses. Anyway, I'll start. I've played all of these. I think Meadows of Dan would be on the list, too, but I haven't played it.

1) Kinloch
2) RTJ
3) Homestead Cascades
4) Belle Haven
5) Farmington

Anyone?
[/quote]
Ok I will play and pick 10 that are great fun to play. There are so many great tracks in Virginia spread across a lot of different geography

1) CCV James River
2) Golden Horseshoe- Gold Course
3) Foundry
4) Kinloch
5) Hermitage- Sabot
6) Golden Eagle Irvington
7) Kingsmill River Course
8) Independence
9) Springcreek
10) Devils Knob Wintergreen....just different!

Kenny Giannini G6

[quote name='firstbatch' timestamp='1364474063' post='6712793']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1364471580' post='6712623']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Probably just as well as Independence is a Bermuda grass warm weather track and the 4.5" above normal rainfall this year has put a hurting on fairway conditions. Come on spring!!
[/quote]
Yeah..I remember the first time I played it probably about 7 years ago or so, I was thrown by the Bermuda fairways..it was still early spring then, like late March and we were on our way down to Pinehurst and it was a stop off play. Even though they were still brown, it didn't affect the playability of them at all. Guess I need to get down and see it when it's green sometime.

Mattaponni Springs is another one that we always seem to play in the early spring before the fairways have really come in. it is a spectacular daily fee course as well.

Vokey

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1364475208' post='6712897']
I'm going to have to play CCV, Foundry and Hermitage this summer. I've heard good things, but it's just a hassle to play other places sometimes.

I'm sticking to my guns that Kinloch and RTJ are 1, 2, though. Kinloch because it's just a great all golf club with a solid course. RTJ is a little too stuffy sometimes, but you can't argue with the goods there.
[/quote]
JP...you arrange an invite for me to either RTJ or Kinloch and I'll be able to give a better opinion...HA

Vokey

Here are several courses that have to be considered as vying for the top 10 (most people forget that Virginia continues past NOVA, Tidewater, and Richmond):

Spring Creek (Public) - best course in the Cville area. Arguably the best public course in the state. I do worry about the longevity of the course as it was developed as a residental community before the economic downturn (it has a lot of never sold houses) and it is realitively expensive for a public course (especially for the area). Most people in the area that can afford to play there regularly can likely afford to join one of the private clubs closer to Cville (Farmington, Glenmore, Keswick) or UVA's course Birdwood.

Farmington CC (Private) - I have played Farmington (and have considered joining) a number of times and it is a very good course (27 holes) and great club. I am not sure what the previous commenter said about rundown houses on the course (most of the houses on the course are multimillion dollar mansions). Farmington is a bit stuffy and most of its membership are non residents (rich alumni of UVA). However, Spring Creek is a better golf course.

Roanoke Country Club (Private) - home of the Scott Robertson Memorial Junior Tournament. Very nice course (27 holes) and great club that hosts one of the nation's top junior tournaments.

Blacksburg Country Club (Private) - great mountain course. Best course in the Blacksburg area (better than the VT Pete Dye Course - although the new club house at the VT course is spectacular). The course has hosted many VA state amateur tournaments.

Cascades Course at the Homestead (Public) - traditionally considered the best mountain golf course in the United States.

Old Course at the Homestead (Public) - very fun track and claims to have the oldest hole in the United States.

Kings Mill River Course (Public) - challenging layout that used to host an LPGA event.

Hidden Valley Country Club (Private) - a very nice club and course.

The Virginian in Bristol (Private) - I never played here but it is supposed to be a spectacular club and course.

Highlands Course at Primland - I am playing next week and have heard great reviews.

[quote name='doglover72' timestamp='1364478594' post='6713267']
Two Rivers in Williamsburg rank in anyone's top 5 or 10?
[/quote]
Not yet but we have a group heading there later in the Spring........I hear good things!

Kenny Giannini G6

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1364477074' post='6713095']
I'm going to have to play CCV, Foundry and Hermitage this summer. I've heard good things, but it's just a hassle to play other places sometimes.

I'm sticking to my guns that Kinloch and RTJ are 1, 2, though. Kinloch because it's just a great all golf club with a solid course. RTJ is a little too stuffy sometimes, but you can't argue with the goods there.
[/quote]
JP...you arrange an invite for me to either RTJ or Kinloch and I'll be able to give a better opinion...HA
[/quote]

Every man for himself there.

[quote name='burnsniper' timestamp='1364477298' post='6713121']
Here are several courses that have to be considered as vying for the top 10 (most people forget that Virginia continues past NOVA, Tidewater, and Richmond):

[size=4]Farmington CC (Private) - I have played Farmington (and have considered joining) a number of times and it is a very good course (27 holes) and great club. I am not sure what the previous commenter said about rundown houses on the course (most of the houses on the course are multimillion dollar mansions). Farmington is a bit stuffy and most of its membership are non residents (rich alumni of UVA). However, Spring Creek is a better golf course.[/size]
[size=4].[/size]
[/quote]

Some of the houses are a "bit dated," I said. Maybe just not my thing. It's a big residential family club, not just a golf course like some of the others on this list. I still like it.

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1364481046' post='6713543']
[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1364477074' post='6713095']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Every man for himself there.
[/quote]
yeah...I know..just throwin it out. ha

Vokey

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1364481192' post='6713567']

[size=4]Farmington CC (Private) - I have played Farmington (and have considered joining) a number of times and it is a very good course (27 holes) and great club. I am not sure what the previous commenter said about rundown houses on the course (most of the houses on the course are multimillion dollar mansions). Farmington is a bit stuffy and most of its membership are non residents (rich alumni of UVA). However, Spring Creek is a better golf course.[/size]
[size=4].[/size]
[/quote]

Some of the houses are a "bit dated," I said. Maybe just not my thing. It's a big residential family club, not just a golf course like some of the others on this list. I still like it.
[/quote]

I personally like the house with the manicured and perfectly level permanant croquet court... I do agree the club focuses on bying a "family" type club more than some. However, their golf facilities (with the exception of the range) are pretty spectacular. One downside is they have had some problems with their resident initiation fee and resident members leaving.

[quote name='burnsniper' timestamp='1364492279' post='6714901']
[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1364481192' post='6713567']

[size=4].[/size]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I personally like the house with the manicured and perfectly level permanant croquet court... I do agree the club focuses on bying a "family" type club more than some. However, their golf facilities (with the exception of the range) are pretty spectacular. One downside is they have had some problems with their resident initiation fee and resident members leaving.
[/quote]

There's a lot of decent options around there. I put it on my list because I like classic courses, and this one has some great holes. There's better in VA. I just need to play them. Sucks they are losing members. It's cheap as hell for someone like me to join.

• 3 weeks later...

spring creek is my favorite course that ive played.
viniterra in new kent is a great underrated track.
royal new kent is meh for me but i can see the allure
independence is a nice course
mattoponi springs has a nice layout i just wish they didnt use bermuda grass
and laurel hill in lorton

i was just looking at kinloch online, looks like a lovely course.

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1364412988' post='6708597']

1) Kinloch
2) RTJ
3) Homestead Cascades
4) Belle Haven
5) Farmington

Anyone?
[/quote]

jptruck,

How was Belle Haven?
I use to live about a mile from Belle Haven, down Fort Hunt Road, and passed that course everyday. Always wanted to play that course but did not know any of the members so I could not get on.