Top-5 Virginia

jptruck

[quote name='MarylandGolfer' timestamp='1365945903' post='6837905']
[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1364412988' post='6708597']
I'm curious of how this board ranks the top courses in Virginia. You obviously have to exclude most of the DC area courses because they are in Maryland. That leaves a lot of the suburban and mountain courses. Anyway, I'll start. I've played all of these. I think Meadows of Dan would be on the list, too, but I haven't played it.

1) Kinloch
2) RTJ
3) Homestead Cascades
4) Belle Haven
5) Farmington

Anyone?
[/quote]

jptruck,

How was Belle Haven?
I use to live about a mile from Belle Haven, down Fort Hunt Road, and passed that course everyday. Always wanted to play that course but did not know any of the members so I could not get on.
[/quote]
MG...Same here, I used to work about 2 miles from it, got to visit it several times to meet with the pro on a few things, I really wanted to play it after the remodel, but my job moved out of the area around that same time.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i'm going open to public I would say the following in no order

1. Laurel HIll, Lorton, VA
2. Westfields, Clifton, VA
3. Stonewall Golf Club, Gainsville, VA
4. Bull Run, Haymarket, VA
Toss up for the last one
5. Raspberry Falls, Leesburg, VA / Old Hickory, Woodbridge, VA, Hertiage Hunt, Gainsville, VA (which just opened up to public)

Private is a whole other game.

• 1 month later...

RTJ is easily the best in state that I've played. Kinloch is as impressive a piece of land, but the course isn't nearly as good, IMO. Both have awesome ranges and short game areas.
I haven't played at the Homestead, Primland, or Spring Creek, but have heard great things about those tracks.

All of the NOVA public tracks that have been listed are nice, Raspberry, Westfields, Stonewall, Old Hickory, Laurel Hills, Mattaponi especially.

Of the private tracks I've played, Farmington, Belle Haven, Creighton Farms, Army-Navy Arlington are worth it if you can get onto them. International CC is good when it's in good shape, but that's been hit or miss over the last decade, or so.

Both Golden Horseshoe courses are great, and I played Vinaterra last spring and liked it, too.

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Callaway Paradym HL (set to 15.5*) Speeder Evolution V 661

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

• 2 months later...

Just played RTJ today - its my new No. 1 in the state (haven't played Kineloch yet). RTJ easily has the nicest ammenities, best service, and most gorgeous grounds of any golf course I have ever played. I would rank the course as the second best course I have played (just barely behind TPC Sawgrass). The last 10 holes are absolutely phenomenal. Here is my top 10 VA ranking:

1. RTJ
2. Primland Highlands Course
3. Homestead Old Course
4. Blacksburg CC
5. Spring Creek
6. Homestead Cascades
7. Farmington CC
8. Hidden Valley CC
9. Army Navy CC (Arlington)
10. Roanoke CC

Honorable Mentions:
Kingsmill River Course
Old Trail Golf ClubThe c

Also, all three of the following clubs are first class and would be hard to match anywhere:
1. RTJ
2. Farmington CC
3. Army Navy CC (Arlington)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='DH48' timestamp='1364482492' post='6713695'] I would remove Bellehaven, it is always in great shape but I'm not a huge fan. And add Golden Horseshoe, I love that course. Cascades at the Homestead is also on that list. Also, Bayville in Virginia Beach has some of the best greens I've ever played and is a great design. [/quote]
How did you get out on Bayville? It's right around the corner from my place and I drive past it on my way to and from work every day and drool accordingly.

I saw a couple mentions of Army Navy CC Arlington, but none of Fairfax... any reason it's not as good? I've only gotten out there and am looking forward to trying to play Arlington before the summer is over...

LTD 9.5*D Project X HZRDUS 6.5 75g
Cobra Bio Cell + 14.5* Fuji Speeder 757x
CobraBio Cell + 17.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70x
Adams CMB 4-G KBS C-Taper X
Vokey TVD54*

SM? 58*K
Scotty Circa 62 #3 /Kingston GSS KP2
ProV1 / Snell MTB / Snell MTB Prime

[quote name='CEPick' timestamp='1376939921' post='7706808']
I'm 99% sold on joining Spring Creek. Right now its $250/mon to join with no initiation fee (will be $200 because my fiance and I are considering building a house there). They also announced their intention to go private and are building a HUGE new clubhouse. They are getting SERIOUS about being one of the best in Virginia and even in the country.
[/quote]

If you live east of downtown, Spring Creek makes a lot of sense. I love the course and think its the best in the area. However, I think I would have an issue joining because it is only private on the weekends. The best part about being a member of a private course is being able to showup without a tee time and play. With the course being public on the weekdays, this just won't happen. Additionally, I think it is the type of place where a call from your pro (if you are a member of another club) will get you unrestricted guest access on the weekend regardless.

[quote name='burnsniper' timestamp='1376950120' post='7707892']
[quote name='CEPick' timestamp='1376939921' post='7706808']
I'm 99% sold on joining Spring Creek. Right now its $250/mon to join with no initiation fee (will be $200 because my fiance and I are considering building a house there). They also announced their intention to go private and are building a HUGE new clubhouse. They are getting SERIOUS about being one of the best in Virginia and even in the country.
[/quote]

If you live east of downtown, Spring Creek makes a lot of sense. I love the course and think its the best in the area. However, I think I would have an issue joining because it is only private on the weekends. The best part about being a member of a private course is being able to showup without a tee time and play. With the course being public on the weekdays, this just won't happen. Additionally, I think it is the type of place where a call from your pro (if you are a member of another club) will get you unrestricted guest access on the weekend regardless.
[/quote]

I work late during the week so I mostly practice during the week and play on weekends, specifically mornings. I figure I can play 3x a month on Sat or Sun morning and practice anytime I want and that would justify the cost to join.

I believe they will go completely private when this clubhouse is finished and they don't need a capital campaign from the public play.

My fiance loves the neighborhood and so do I. The golf, for me, pushes it over the edge.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='jptruck' timestamp='1381247329' post='7970473']
Just an update: I can say without a doubt that RTJ is great, but Kinloch is better. As for Creighton, it's not on the top-5. This is from recent experience. CCV, Foundry and Primland are on my to-do list this fall/spring.
[/quote]

i just played creighton farms this past saturday. 36 holes (all with a very knowledgeable caddie) and i thoroughly enjoyed the experience. it was easily one of the best courses i've played this year. any particular reason why you didn't care for it?

your course list far exceeds my own, so i just may not know any better. :)

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

It's a nice course, but 8, 11, 12, 13 are a little goofy. If I remember correctly, there was water on 14-15 of the holes, and high grass everywhere else. Any stray shot was a re-load. Maybe I thought it was a bit penal or just badly designed, but I left not really caring if I came back. With that much land, they could have built a more pleasing course.

It's only going to get worse as they build more houses and fill in the blank spots. I was scolded for peeing on a tree because the home owners (500 yards away) might complain. Silly stuff that left me with a bad taste.

[size=4]The Par-3 6th or 7th (can't remember) was a fantastic hole, though. [/size]

true, there were some shall we say - interesting - choices made by the designer... but i sometimes find the quirky holes to be more memorable than some of the "normal" ones. i also made an s-ton of birdies over the two rounds and won both my matches, so i have a built-in affinity for the place.
(sorry for the passive brag)

as a primarily public course player, where would you recommend i go play in the NoVA area? laurel hill?

:drinks:

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I didn't play well there, so I guess that had an affect too. We played sans caddies, and we probably could have used them. There's just too many spots to get in trouble there if you don't know the course.

I'm not a NOVA guy, so it's hard to say. I like Raspberry, Whiskey and Stonewall, but it's been ages since I've played there.

thanks guys, appreciate the input. laurel hill's been on my 'must play' list for almost 2 years. i just hate their tee time reservation system. might just try to walk on on weekend afternoon.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very familiar all of the upscale public courses in the Northern VA area, Raspberry, Westfields, Laurel Hills, Bull Run, etc., and got a chance to play Spring Creek twice this past weekend and was absolutely blown away. Conditions were spectacular and the layout was great. Its now at the top of my list for VA golf. I don't have any exposure to the elite private courses except for Amy-Navy GC. I highly recommend checking out Spring Creek before it goes fully private.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

Down in the western part of the state we have two great golf courses, The Virginian and The Olde Farm. Not sure where each of them rank but they are both in fantastic shape. I prefer The Virginian (Fazio) to The Olde Farm (Weed) but both are held in high esteem. Haven't played Kinloch but I know enough people who have to believe its the best in the state.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1383578341' post='8099654']
Down in the western part of the state we have two great golf courses, The Virginian and The Olde Farm. Not sure where each of them rank but they are both in fantastic shape. I prefer The Virginian (Fazio) to The Olde Farm (Weed) but both are held in high esteem. Haven't played Kinloch but I know enough people who have to believe its the best in the state.
[/quote]

Prim land in Meadows of Dan rounds out a pretty solid lineup in the Southwest VA I-81 corridor.

[quote name='ahoop24' timestamp='1383577094' post='8099584']
I'm very familiar all of the upscale public courses in the Northern VA area, Raspberry, Westfields, Laurel Hills, Bull Run, etc., and got a chance to play Spring Creek twice this past weekend and was absolutely blown away. Conditions were spectacular and the layout was great. Its now at the top of my list for VA golf. I don't have any exposure to the elite private courses except for Amy-Navy GC. I highly recommend checking out Spring Creek before it goes fully private.
[/quote]

Did you play the Fall 2-Man?

• 2 months later...

Regarding independence, read the following. Note the section about the new owners and his brother and you'll start to get an idea of the type of major changes are coming. It's going to be a hell of a training facility when done with a pretty prominent face as the instructor.

[url="http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/local/new-owners-have-big-plans-for-independence-golf-club/article_831b004a-fdad-5ef7-a59e-cc146e332d11.html"]http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/local/new-owners-have-big-plans-for-independence-golf-club/article_831b004a-fdad-5ef7-a59e-cc146e332d11.html[/url]

• 1 month later...

Lived in Roanoke, VA my whole life(except the wonderful college years) and worked at a golf course for about 7 years so I have had a chance to play most of the courses in SW VA and some others throughout the state. My top 5 would be:[list=1]
[*]Cascades Course at the Homestead: This is probably my favorite course I have ever played. Just a great mountain course at a great resort
[*]Primland: Another great mountain course with amazing views.
[*]The Virginian: Great conditioned course and a great layout. Really want to try the Olde Farm near by.
[*]Roanoke Country Club. Great classic style country club. I worked there for 7 or so years so that might sway my judgement
[*]Great Oaks Country Club in Floyd,VA: I think this is a very underrated course(probably because many have never heard of it). It is not real long, but has a great mixture of holes and is usually in great shap
[/list]

[quote name='NAW1987' timestamp='1393527793' post='8759096']
Lived in Roanoke, VA my whole life(except the wonderful college years) and worked at a golf course for about 7 years so I have had a chance to play most of the courses in SW VA and some others throughout the state. My top 5 would be:[list=1]
[*]Cascades Course at the Homestead: This is probably my favorite course I have ever played. Just a great mountain course at a great resort
[*]The Virginian: Great conditioned course and a great layout. Really want to try the Olde Farm near by.
[*]Roanoke Country Club. Great classic style country club. I worked there for 7 or so years so that might sway my judgement
[*]Great Oaks Country Club in Floyd,VA: I think this is a very underrated course(probably because many have never heard of it). It is not real long, but has a great mixture of holes and is usually in great shap
[/list]
[/quote]

Had a chance to play the River Course? I never was on it before the renovations, but the new layout is interesting. Almost links style on a (land) budget, squeezed between the bluff and the river.

And how's Ashley Plantation? I know Chip has some game...is it from that course or just natural.

[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1393528953' post='8759238']
[quote name='NAW1987' timestamp='1393527793' post='8759096']
[/list]
[/quote]

Had a chance to play the River Course? I never was on it before the renovations, but the new layout is interesting. Almost links style on a (land) budget, squeezed between the bluff and the river.

And how's Ashley Plantation? I know Chip has some game...is it from that course or just natural.
[/quote]

I haven't played the River Course since they did the renovations but I have heard good things. Before they did the reno it was a good course but stayed pretty wet so hopefully they have changed that. I know the tips extend to roughly 7800 yds! Chip isn't at Ashley anymore he is actually the head pro at Hanging Rock Golf Course in Salem, VA but he is a heck of a golfer. I am not a huge fan of Ashley Plantation. The layout is pretty nice but it doesn't really fit my eye. I think it is because its just kinda put out there in the middle of old farm land with not many trees and surrounded my oversized houses plus the wind whips through there most of the time. Its not a bad course to play every once in a while if you are from the area but I would suggest going to Botetourt CC which is right down the street from Ashley first