Golf Shop Job

Konrad

Hey

I am a 15, almost 16 year old who is going to be looking for a job. I was just wondering from any shop owners out there would you hire a 16 year-old to work in your shop or retail store? I'd like to belive that I know a lot about golf equipment and golf in general. I carry a 4.2 hcp. What could I do to impress a shop owner?

Thanks for any info any employees/shop owners can give.

If this is in the wrong area, I'm sorry and please move.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

say yes sir and no sir and make sure you when you fill out an application that it is neat and readable and everything is spelled correctly and not written lke a txt messg lke teens lke 2 do these dayz

And wear clothes that fit and not sagging around your knees with your underware hanging out the back.

Sorry, I am a high school teacher and see that stuff on a daily basis.

I recently got a part time job in a high tech custom fitting operation and golf workshop. All I did was send the owner a formal email letting him know I was interested in learning of the ways of the club wizard. If youw ant this kind of job I advise you to do the same as in the labor market for this type of job most business owners have a tough time finding employees who are self driven and thirsty to learn more about clubbuilding. Show some initiative and contact all the club workshops in your area and most likely you'll find something. Good luck!

justin

say yes sir and no sir and make sure you when you fill out an application that it is neat and readable and everything is spelled correctly and not written lke a txt messg lke teens lke 2 do these dayz

And wear clothes that fit and not sagging around your knees with your underware hanging out the back.

Sorry, I am a high school teacher and see that stuff on a daily basis.

And if it comes up, spell "underwear" correctly. :)

In my opinion, most courses are very willing to take on junior workers, especially if they are hard working and try their best. I'm 16 and have worked at two courses in our town and have friends who work at the other two. I got my current job through the pro at our local country club who also runs the pro shop and bag storage area. When I started, I basically got and cleaned members clubs and picked up range balls. That transferred over into some behind the register work in the shop. Coming with a knowledge of the game and equipment really helps. I know he was impressed when I would talk to him about all of the new equipment coming out, some of which I had heard of before he had thanks to this board. Even if you are only doing small tasks (i.e. taking out the garbage, cleaning clubs, cleaning carts, etc) the experience will pay off on resumes that (especially if you live in WA) you have to write and that will be scrutinized by multitudes of community members before you graduate.

The one piece of advice I can give you is go into it knowing that you are there to make the member/customer happy. I guarantee if you keep that in mind your work experience will be much more pleasant.

BTW- Once you get to know the regulars, they become your friends and may even want to play golf with you. One of the guys who I regularly play golf with and go to tournaments with I met through my job. It's all about making those connections.

As you can see, working at golf courses has really paid off.

Hi Konrad,

I'm not responsible for the new hires in the store I'm employed at, but I can give you a couple of hints that may help.

1. Appearance matters. Dress appropriately at all times, especially when stopping by the shop to inquire about a job or fill out an application. First impressions DO matter in a work environment.

2. Speak clearly and confidently. Be friendly. We're all just people, there's no need to be shy. We all put our underwear on one leg at a time, too (if we wear them) so there's no need to be arrogant, either.

3. Most importantly: Be HONEST. If you don't know an answer for a customer (or your potential employer during an interview) admit as much, and assure them that you will find the answer for them as quickly as possible. Don't spin some bulls**t answer and hope they'll buy it.

4. The customer is (almost) always right. Go through great pains to make your customers happy, but don't allow the business to be taken advantage of. If you want to be a member of the service industry, you must realize that your job is to make people happy. Do everything in your power to accomplish that goal. If you are unable to help a customer to their satisfaction under reasonable circumstances, don't hesitate to invite your supervisor into the situation. Always treat your customer with a smile and respect, and you will more often than not receive the same in return.

This advice probably sucks and is minimal at best, but I wish you the best. :superman:

edit: Be sure to spell properly on your application and use the proper structure of sentences, too... Which I failed to do in this post. Which brings me to my last point: show up for any job interviews sober. :)

study up...you gotta know every club inside and out, what's out, what's coming out, and clubs from a long time ago. knowledge about shafts, grips, and club repair is important also. i found that a lot of golfers have no idea what clubs they have in their bag, sometimes all they'll know is the brand. you gotta be able to know what type of club it is just by description, i.e. the old cleveland with the gold shaft, the callaway with the blue head, etc. and talk to every customer with an open mind, a lot of them will think they know more than you, ask dumb questions, they are all single digit hdcp, drive 350+, after a while you'll be able to figure out who's actually good, and those that are full-of-sh!t. it's not about making the big sale, it's about fulfilling your customers needs. you wouldnt sell blades to a beginner, talk the 20 hdcp'r into noodles instead of prov1s, that's how i look at it.

and being a good golfer doesnt make you a good salesperson. product knowledge, honesty, and customer service skills are the key. i worked in golf retail for 5 years, if you're good to your customers they'll be good to you. earn their trust and they'll keep coming back. and your boss will love it.

knowledge will come over time, and experience will help your service skills.

good luck.

Take your time so you aren't a dork and spell underwear like underware right after saying to spell everything correctly!!!!!!!! :) I teach music, not english!!!! I also have trouble with math counting past 4!

When I was in a position to hire people, and more importantly from the younger crowd, it was always a big no-no in my eyes to bring a friend in when asking for or filling out an application.

Here it goes:

1) I don't care how old you are: Wear a coat and tie to the interview, at the very least a nice pair of slack and a IRONED golf shirt, I promise you, it will increase your chances of obtaining the job.

2) Eye Contact. Too many youngsters don't practice enough of this today, IMO

3) You obviously have a genuine love for the game, make sure your enthuasism shines through during the interview.

4) Think beforehand about questions that may be asked and how you will respond to them.

5) There is more to a golf shop job than knowing about what clubs come out such as: computer knowledge, basic math i.e. counting money - you would be surprised how often this gets screwed up, merchandising, tournaments, club fitting, teaching, etc... Not trying to scare you, but if you are behind that counter people expect you to have answers.

In closing, obtaining this job may be the next step towards a career in the golf business. This is a great opportunity for you to make contacts locally, and learn a few things as to how this business works. Always remember people are coming to your course to have fun and enjoy themselves, what job could be better!

As a green grass shop owner, I am reluctant to hire a 16-yr old to work in the shop; outside services - yes, shop, 95% no.

Regardless of that, TheVelvetCat has some very good advice. I am far too busy to give someone my time or my employees time for an interview who cannot spell, dresses inappropriately for the situation, brings his friend for support, mumbles, speaks in circles when asked questions, is only here for free golf.....what all this boils down to is; I'm trying to run a business, two actually, the golf course and my shop. One reflects upon the other. And I cannot afford to have that kind of liablity in my shop or working at my golf course that I am responsible for and where you would be a reflection of me and my management skills.

When I was a new/young head pro I cracked under pressure to hire a "member's kid", only to fire his worthless lazy cart destroying arse some weeks later. I vowed never again on that one. :)

I will give you this advice;

Never forget these five things and you'll go far in this industry.

1. This workplace is someones livelyhood. They may have everything they've ever saved invested in this place. Treat it with respect.
  2. Be prepared to be humble and humbled. You won't start at the top.

3. Be persistent. Just because I say no this time, means just that. NO - right now. Ask again in a few weeks. Not pushy, but persistent.

4. When you get to a place of higher responsibilty - return your phone calls. You'd be surprised how many people do not. I've seen this simple ignored task get the ball rolling towards someones dismisal too many times.
  5. The best is always last. The customer is not an interuption to your day, they are the reason for it. Your "gameboy" or cell phone have no place at work, unless your wife is pregnant (neither of which you need at your age). Talking to you buddy about your last round or whatever while you have members/customers in the shop would get you fired very quickly in my shop. If you forget all the other four, remember just this one.

Good luck and have fun....welcome to the workplace!

I am not sure if this has been covered or not...but you also need to conduct yourself/dress appropriately when using course facilities as a guest/customer, not just during an interview. Chances are if your a regular/member at a particular facility, the shop staff know you. When you hit the door looking for a job, they will probably reflect on the impressions they have of you using the facility.

You might want to focus on getting an outside ops job first. At your age, working outside will be a lot more fun than inside. Cart work is not that bad, I did it for a year before I was invited to work in the shop. All I can say is the shop, at least where I worked, was a pretty intense place. Anyway, best of luck.

I'll add that if any one ever gets a job at a golf course Please leave the cell phone and the I Pod at home. Also remember. You are getting paid by the hour. That means find something to do. There is always someting that needs to be done at a golf course or shop. Trust me. Look around and you will notice what needs to be done. The owners and head pro WILL notice this and realize you are self motivated and willing to work. You will advance. I know this from experience, although not from the golf industry.

we have kids at our course that don't understand this at all. Constantly coming up and asking what else needs to be done. Just look around, you will see what needs to be done.

J