2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='nyjets1' timestamp='1391117632' post='8567020']
Ok, I got my new G25s a couple days ago and I just couldn't hold out any longer. So I got my snow shovel and cleared a spot in the backyard. Took out the 6 iron and 8 junk balls, then hit the 8 most beautiful high straight shots I had ever laid eyes on, not kidding. The feel of the CFS Cushin is the softest I have ever felt even in the 30 degree temp. If you didn't order yours with the cushin inserts your really missing out. I could not be happier with my new PINGS, just an awesome iron in everyway. Now to open a bottle of wine, start a fire and think about spring.
[/quote]

That is hard core golf addiction funny right there. Man I had a good laugh only because I would love to be able to do that right now

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1391014548' post='8558261']
[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1390275801' post='8499097']
I wouldn't struggle with graphite vs. steel whatsoever, and don't listen to yahoo's who claim graphite is somehow less-capable than steel, or you have to be ready to order your casket from Costco Wholesale to use graphite. So dumb and not true.

Graphite has been replacing steel and other metals for years in about every new commercial and military aircraft, the entire "tube", and down to critical structures. Why? Because graphite provides the same, and in many cases, more stiffness and structural integrity than steel. Graphite retains tight contours and radius configs under load at a reduced weight. The uninformed golf hacker who only sees graphite in golf stores, or biased purist, will make all kinds of dire predictions of terrible results with graphite, meanwhile about every friggin' driver and hybrid has a graphite (carbon) shaft. I guess that's [i]not a problem [/i]for some reason...try swinging a steel shaft R1, bet that would be a barrel of fun, and why don't they make steel shaft drivers anymore? Also, try swinging a super-stiff graphite shaft...it has the flexibility of a [i]telephone pole[/i]. I predict a bunch of new posts arguing that graphite is ok for drivers but taboo in irons because the driver is "[i]less important[/i]" due to not being a "scoring club", and somehow graphite would add a [i]bakers dozen [/i]of strokes if they were forced to hit a graphite iron approach. In most cases these folks have a pre-determined mindset to [i]disprove [/i]the graphite before the first shot. Believe me, the industry could make graphite shafts that virtually nobody could hit due to stiffness, but cost is the limiting factor for the general marketplace, and nobody would get more than 100 yds out of a 7 iron.

For those who want a higher swing speed = more distance (like everybody), less shock (most), with same directional stability (everybody), the graphite shaft is entirely capable. Someone above mentioned the possibility of pro's using graphite with a possibly camouflaged shafts to look like steel. I wouldn't doubt it because steel is lower cost, meaning more gross profit per shaft sold, and empires have been built around the steel shaft. Graphite (carbon) fabrics have far less makers than steel worldwide, which means additional cost and less suppliers to the OEM club manufacturers. Steel trades like [i]pork bellies[/i].

OEM's could easily roll-out new marketing campaigns promoting graphite, but with the economy being what it is, and the lack of knowledge about graphite rigidity, their marketing folks know it would be an uphill battle for the 35 and older crowd who was told, or [i]believes[/i], steel is better. Plus, getting everyone excited about graphite would entail offering even [i]more expensive [/i]clubs which would be a [i]tough sell [/i]in this economy. But don't worry, the day is coming when the magazines start talking about switching to graphite for distance and accuracy to prime the general marketplace for a new campaign of "[i]gotta have it now[/i]" graphite irons. But they'll have to bite the bullet and vacate more profitable and plentiful steel-based shafts. Steel will someday go by way of the "[i]persimmon wood[/i]".

If Boeing thinks graphite/carbon is suitable to invest billions to make a structurally sound 787 Boeing Dreamliner, it might be good enough for a stupid golf club hitting a ball 150 yards to a 30 x 40 yard green.
[/quote]

Do you get paid by the word ???
[/quote]

Apparently you don't... :taunt:

None

[quote name='nyjets1' timestamp='1391117632' post='8567020']
Ok, I got my new G25s a couple days ago and I just couldn't hold out any longer. So I got my snow shovel and cleared a spot in the backyard. Took out the 6 iron and 8 junk balls, then hit the 8 most beautiful high straight shots I had ever laid eyes on, not kidding. The feel of the CFS Cushin is the softest I have ever felt even in the 30 degree temp. If you didn't order yours with the cushin inserts your really missing out. I could not be happier with my new PINGS, just an awesome iron in everyway. Now to open a bottle of wine, start a fire and think about spring.
[/quote]I feel sorry for you guys that have a "golf season". Gotta admire your tenacity shoveling snow and all to try out your new sticks. Us So CA boys dont no any different...its golf 365 days a year and twice on Sunday, and wearing shorts ta boot. Gotta really respect guys that mange to sustain low caps having an off season too. Im born and raised here so it would be difficult to have down time.

TM 09 Burner 9.5
Cleveland Launcher Ti 15*
Adams Idea Pro 18*
Cleveland 588 TT 4-pw
Ping Scottsdale Tr
588 Ta rtg 45* 51* 56* 60* S300

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1366763306' post='6904027']
A little background... I'm an assistant professional and golf shop owner. Been playing for about 12 years and play less now than I ever have. My handicap is fluctuating between +3.5 to +4.5 and I've been playing well lately. Other current iron sets that I own and love are the 2012 Anser's and Titleist 712 AP2's. Those two sets are the most perfect sets of irons that I have ever found for my game and God knows I have tried them all. I had a stint with the G20's last year and loved those, but eventually the fat soles and sub par turf interaction (for me) forced me to let them go. On to the good stuff...

I ordered myself a set of 3-W G25 with KBS Tour X flex at standard length and lie. They arrived a couple days ago and I have got the chance to play two nine hole rounds so far with them. Our course isn't hard (71 course rating, par 71, 6600 yards), but there is alot of trouble off the tee. The only time I have hit a bad shot with these was in a tight layup on the 3rd hole I played with them. I was expecting the offset to cause me to hook a 6 iron and I left it out to the right. Other than that shot these irons have been absolutely superb. Almost every shot is high, but not ballooning and dead straight with minimal curvature. They hold their line better than any iron i have ever hit. The crazy thing is I find its also easier to work these irons. Since they want to go straight a hard draw or a hard cut swing produces soft movement in either direction and on command. Its super hard to overcook the ball in either direction with these. The turf interaction on the 25's is much improved over the G20's and the short irons are very i5-ish. These don't seem to ever bounce off the turf like the G20's did. I honestly can't say enough about the versatility of these irons. The 3 iron is way better than any hybrid I have ever tried. It's like the G20's and the I20's had an attractive, talented, and intelligent baby. In the 18 holes that I have played with these I have hit 14 greens not missing any by more than 5 yards and made 9 birdies with a ridiculous (for me) proximity to the hole.

Bottom line... Do yourselves a favor--- suck it up and go try these on a golf course. The offset WILL NOT make the ball go left and the new darker finish hides it better than you would think. I honestly think that 95% or better of the golfing population would drastically improve their scores if they made the switch. Simply amazing golf clubs and a shining example of modern golf technology. My Ansers are a whole lot sexier, but you can't argue with better scores.
[/quote]
welcome to the club! 2.7 index playing G15's with x100's.

[quote name='nyjets1' timestamp='1391119263' post='8567236']
[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1391118180' post='8567076']
Did you break the same neighbour's windows 8 times over? ;)

I do get tempted to take mine out from underneath the couch and play them some more when I hear another happy customer.
Great to hear you are satisfied with your choice.
[/quote]No windows but in April my neighbor 170 yards east of me is going to find 8 balls in his swimming pool
[/quote]

Kiddie pool ?

Nice dispersion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ([size=2]assuming it wasn't an Olympic swimming pool[/size] :D )

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

Anyone compare them with Karsten clubs (supposedly also quite forgiving)?

[quote name='dkwalika' timestamp='1390227820' post='8494521']
If I wanted to compare the G25s to something else, what would you suggest?

[quote name='Pack7483' timestamp='1390223181' post='8494267']
[quote name='dkwalika' timestamp='1390216624' post='8494065']
I am a high handicapper, and I was wondering if you think these would be good for me, too. How offset are they? That concerns me.
[/quote]
They should be great for you. I think the offset on these gets over blown. After a few rounds I honestly never noticed it anymore, and I was playing "player" style clubs before.

Plus I think these are the perfect irons for high handicap because you will not feel the need to jump to a players iron as you improve. It is one of those clubs that seems to cover all skill levels. You see anyone from beginners to tour pros playing G series clubs. So these are irons you may still be gaming when you break into single digits.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1391351727' post='8583204']
Does anyone know the approximate wait time for a custom order of G25's from either TGW of Golfsmith?
[/quote]Got mine from TGW in 15 days from order to front door

PING G425 LST 10.5* HAZRDUS RDX BLUE
PING G425 MAX  3 5 9 woods Alta Slate 65
PING I525 5 thru 7 UST RECOIL
PING I59  8 thru PW UST RECOIL
PING TOUR 50* 54* 58* UST RECOIL
GUERIN Tour Spec GR3
TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='nyjets1' timestamp='1391356508' post='8583588']
Does anyone know the approximate wait time for a custom order of G25's from either TGW of Golfsmith?
[/quote]
Thanks. Was everything correct with the order?

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

[quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1391356711' post='8583610']
[quote name='nyjets1' timestamp='1391356508' post='8583588']
[/quote]
Thanks. Was everything correct with the order?
[/quote]Yup perfect

PING G425 LST 10.5* HAZRDUS RDX BLUE
PING G425 MAX  3 5 9 woods Alta Slate 65
PING I525 5 thru 7 UST RECOIL
PING I59  8 thru PW UST RECOIL
PING TOUR 50* 54* 58* UST RECOIL
GUERIN Tour Spec GR3
TaylorMade TP5

Anyone playing KBS tour shafts in the G25s? I'm still contemplating pulling my KBS shafts from my old trusty i3+ blades and giving them a go in the G25s.

Also how does everyone find the swingweight in these? I found them a little light, I think these are great clubs I just haven't got dialed into them yet.

[quote name='Veners' timestamp='1391378140' post='8585526']
Anyone playing KBS tour shafts in the G25s? I'm still contemplating pulling my KBS shafts from my old trusty i3+ blades and giving them a go in the G25s.

Also how does everyone find the swingweight in these? I found them a little light, I think these are great clubs I just haven't got dialed into them yet.
[/quote]

When I initially demoed the clubs they did feel pretty light. When I ordered them I had C-Tapers put in and the full set weighted at D2. If you order them from Ping I'd suggest find out the weight of your current i3s and have them match it.

Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Sorry what do you mean by the fulcrum being in the wrong place?

If you mean the overall weight it may just be that, with the cfs stiff I lose accuracy over the i3+ blades by either getting large draws or just hitting straight shots off target to the left like I kind move my whole body left, the i3+ blades feel like they have a lot more heft in the club if that makes sense which seems to help me be very accurate, the upside of the g25s is more distance, higher ball flight and still achieving good distance with a very easy swing....I need to attack the i3+ but if I attack the g25s they can go wild.

I'm hoping the kbs tour shaft from the i3s will give the g25 more weight and control, just curious if anyone else had tried the kbs in this head as there seems to be a lot of love for the cfs in these heads on here.

I just demo'd the G25's with both the KBS tour and CFS shafts. Both performed equally well overall, some shots went higher or lower depending upon each swing and angle of attack. Which should I choose? My swing is not the same every shot (I wish or I'd be on TV...LOL) so I'm confused. If my swing was consistently the same, would the KBS's be better?

None

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1391486402' post='8594564']
I just demo'd the G25's with both the KBS tour and CFS shafts. Both performed equally well overall, some shots went higher or lower depending upon each swing and angle of attack. Which should I choose? My swing is not the same every shot (I wish or I'd be on TV...LOL) so I'm confused. If my swing was consistently the same, would the KBS's be better?
[/quote]

Get fit for the CFS. No reason to pay the ucharge for KBS. I think the CFS feel just as smooth if not more so than the KBS I've played in the past. Great shaft with great feel and no ballooning!

[quote name='Veners' timestamp='1391472962' post='8593032']

If you mean the overall weight it may just be that, with the cfs stiff I lose accuracy over the i3+ blades by either getting large draws or just hitting straight shots off target to the left like I kind move my whole body left, the i3+ blades feel like they have a lot more heft in the club if that makes sense which seems to help me be very accurate, the upside of the g25s is more distance, higher ball flight and still achieving good distance with a very easy swing....I need to attack the i3+ but if I attack the g25s they can go wild.

I'm hoping the kbs tour shaft from the i3s will give the g25 more weight and control, just curious if anyone else had tried the kbs in this head as there seems to be a lot of love for the cfs in these heads on here.
[/quote]

I am guessing when he said fulcrum he was refering to swing weight. There have been a number of people on this thread that went with KBS in this head and really liked them.

The difference in your i3 and G25 causing the G25 to go wild when you go after it could be a number of things. The shaft difference is the most obvious, KBS are heavier and I would bet your i3 have a heavier swing weight.

Go have the swing weight measured on your i3 and G25 before doing anything. From the factory G25 are D0 which is on the light side. If you decide to have KBS installed in G25 have them set the same swingweight as what were in your i3.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1391567671' post='8600475']
For me, the CFS is a great shaft, and you gotta believe Ping spends tons of R&D and testing time to match the shaft to the head for max performance for that particular club. Changing that shaft out seems like it could alter the intended use.
[/quote]

+1 on CFS shaft. Don't forget the cushion insert!

[color=#ffa500]Ping G400 Max 10* Fujikura Atmos
Ping G400 16.5 Tour80
Ping G400 Hybrid 19
Ping G Irons Nippon Pro Modus3 105
Ping I25 Gap/Callaway SW
Bobby Grace Smart Fit F-18[/color]

Thanks for the comments, my i3+ blades have a d2 swing weight and my g25s were c something I think atleast 3 or 4 sw lighter, g25 shafts ae 1/4 less than standard and have the heavier golf pride tour velvet grips. I'm not sure if it's sw or overall weight that could be causing a difference so I got just my g25 7 iron re shafted yesterday so I could test with the rest of the set rather than dice in and get them all re shafted.

Understand what people are saying about the cfs being designed for the etc but it's a personal feel thing (or may not be if the experiment with the 7 iron doesn't work and I end up preferring the cfs).

Has anyone had the custom tuning port altered (ie swing weight altered by ping)? Then again that would be altering the design so I'm not 100% sure about the r&d quotes meaning the stock in everything is suitable/the best for all.

A little background... I'm an assistant professional and golf shop owner. Been playing for about 12 years and play less now than I ever have. My handicap is fluctuating between +3.5 to +4.5 and I've been playing well lately. Other current iron sets that I own and love are the 2012 Anser's and Titleist 712 AP2's. Those two sets are the most perfect sets of irons that I have ever found for my game and God knows I have tried them all. I had a stint with the G20's last year and loved those, but eventually the fat soles and sub par turf interaction (for me) forced me to let them go. On to the good stuff...

I ordered myself a set of 3-W G25 with KBS Tour X flex at standard length and lie. They arrived a couple days ago and I have got the chance to play two nine hole rounds so far with them. Our course isn't hard (71 course rating, par 71, 6600 yards), but there is alot of trouble off the tee. The only time I have hit a bad shot with these was in a tight layup on the 3rd hole I played with them. I was expecting the offset to cause me to hook a 6 iron and I left it out to the right. Other than that shot these irons have been absolutely superb. Almost every shot is high, but not ballooning and dead straight with minimal curvature. They hold their line better than any iron i have ever hit. The crazy thing is I find its also easier to work these irons. Since they want to go straight a hard draw or a hard cut swing produces soft movement in either direction and on command. Its super hard to overcook the ball in either direction with these. The turf interaction on the 25's is much improved over the G20's and the short irons are very i5-ish. These don't seem to ever bounce off the turf like the G20's did. I honestly can't say enough about the versatility of these irons. The 3 iron is way better than any hybrid I have ever tried. It's like the G20's and the I20's had an attractive, talented, and intelligent baby. In the 18 holes that I have played with these I have hit 14 greens not missing any by more than 5 yards and made 9 birdies with a ridiculous (for me) proximity to the hole.

Bottom line... Do yourselves a favor--- suck it up and go try these on a golf course. The offset WILL NOT make the ball go left and the new darker finish hides it better than you would think. I honestly think that 95% or better of the golfing population would drastically improve their scores if they made the switch. Simply amazing golf clubs and a shining example of modern golf technology. My Ansers are a whole lot sexier, but you can't argue with better scores.
[/quote]

You're killing me! I have been on the fence of getting some GI irons and going away from my blades. Looking at the Apex's. Worried about the offset and trajectory. You make it seem like a good idea to go for the forgiveness

Callaway Rogue ST LS / Ventus Black 6x

Callaway Epic Speed 4 wood / Ventus Blue 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 19 / MMT 105tx

Srixon ZX7 4-PW / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50-54-58 / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron California Monterey / BGT Stability Tour

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1391529546' post='8596491']
[quote name='Veners' timestamp='1391472962' post='8593032']

[/quote]

I am guessing when he said fulcrum he was refering to swing weight. There have been a number of people on this thread that went with KBS in this head and really liked them.

The difference in your i3 and G25 causing the G25 to go wild when you go after it could be a number of things. The shaft difference is the most obvious, KBS are heavier and I would bet your i3 have a heavier swing weight.

Go have the swing weight measured on your i3 and G25 before doing anything. From the factory G25 are D0 which is on the light side. If you decide to have KBS installed in G25 have them set the same swingweight as what were in your i3.
[/quote]

Yes. Swing weight. Standard is D0 up to pw and then D2 in UW and D4 in SW I think. Had mine set to D2 and it made all the difference.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

Im sure I missed it in the previous 35 pages, but what would be the closest comparison to the CFS shaft in current offerings? DG, PX, KBS Tour etc?

Also what are the shaft weights...Specifically x-flex.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1391657458' post='8607497']
Im sure I missed it in the previous 35 pages, but what would be the closest comparison to the CFS shaft in current offerings? DG, PX, KBS Tour etc?

[/quote]

The closest to feel would be either a Nippon 950 or True Temper GS95, really smooth feeling shaft. Weight for CFS x stiff is 114 grams.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1391693636' post='8608661']
[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1391657458' post='8607497']

[/quote]

The closest to feel would be either a Nippon 950 or True Temper GS95, really smooth feeling shaft. Weight for CFS x stiff is 114 grams.
[/quote]

CFS stiff IMO play very similar to a KBS Tour 90 in stiff albeit a touch heavier in weight. They are smooth, but not as smooth as a Nippon 950 in feel IMO.

[quote name='kendall.boudreau' timestamp='1391648041' post='8606659']

[/quote]

You're killing me! I have been on the fence of getting some GI irons and going away from my blades. Looking at the Apex's. Worried about the offset and trajectory. You make it seem like a good idea to go for the forgiveness
[/quote]

Just an observation, but at a 6 hcp...with blades, seems at this point you're down to sinking that 10 foot putt, hitting a few more precise short-game shots....or an extra 10 yards from the driver. Seems as though irons won't contribute much at this point, and might confuse your game, but everyone seeks the Jedi answer, as well as myself, for the elusive scratch hcp...LOL.

None