2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Picking Up My I5 Irons Today.

golfman65

will give a quick review when i get back
OK...deleted the first post and am adding this...i've had them on the range a couple times and now played them...the i5's IMHO are a club you can get excited about...i have found them distance wise to be great...my only problem with them so far is i tend to leave everything dead on the line i pick..which ends up right sometimes...i keep playing for my usual draw and they just flat out go dead straight...i hit some excellent shots today and a couple so so ones..the so so ones were my fault and a little chubby mainly due to some funky lies..the ball still ended up around the green..whether pin high in the bunker..or just on the front fringe..the misses were very exceptable....

I'm not sure what the fuk to make of my day today...i shot -4 on the front 9 with one three putt...then proceeded to three putt twice on the back and hit one into the water on a short par 4 and one OB..so i really sucked on that side...one weird freakin day..but i did find the irons to be the best i've hit so far this year..now i just got to believe in my line and go pin hunting....I'm not sold yet on the G5 driver..i hit it ok but did hit one ugly mother OB with it..not trusting it yet...so verdict is out on it..

The gi5 b60 putter is money...i went 2 putt, 1 putt, 1 putt, 3 putt, then 1 putted out the front nine for a 32..eagled the 9th from about 12 feet..i couldn't miss...till i hit the back 9....i got to aggressive and 3 jacked the 10th and 14th...had a couple 1 putt up and downs but just didn't make sheet on the back....that was the best front 9 this year and the worst back 9 this year all in one day..go figure..but again, i wasn't trying to play tournament golf..i was trying some different stuff on the back and it reached out and bit me in the nuts...oh well at least i'm excited about golf and fishing now :clapping:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK..i got them and headed to the range...first off let me tell you this..i've been on the verge of just giving golf a long hiatus...i'm honestly bored with it....it's been a weird summer that way....

I've been through another year and another huge assortment of irons..15 sets or so...some sets have been really decent but i end up not liking something or other about them...my latest set of i3+ blades..i had last year as well..i love them because i can put a cool finish on them and do the paintfill...i took them out and played um and the first time i did i remembered why i didn't keep them last year..i don't hit them well..they are not very accurate irons....

I've had three sets of s59's...and i've made a combo set of s59's and i3 blades..which to be honest IMHO were much better playing irons then the i3+ blade.....as far as the s59's though...if i'm going to play blades i'm going to play missy's or tourstage mr-23's...i just don't think the s59's feel that great, they are too light.....

The object of my preamble is this...i really wasn't that excited about these either..reading what all the other guys on here had said had pretty much set me up for a disappointment....so when i went down and got them this afternoon, i wasn't expecting much....first of, the offset on these irons doesn't look bad what so ever...i was expecting to see eye2 offset and immediately trade them in and go fishing...Nope..these weren't near as bad as i expected...the heads feel good in my backswing, i can tell where they are versus not with the s59's....i think they look really really good....OFF to the range...

I chose zz-65's in these though i've played p.x. 6.0's since they came out...i've found with the p.x.'s that they hurt my elbow..and i just can't take the dead feel of them anymore.....i thought the 65's might be too soft as my ss is 112+ but they actually felt excellent...man from the first shot i hit...i looked down at these irons and went "Wow"...i was hitting balls at a range with about a 15mph wind coming pretty much straight left to right..which sucked...but i guess that's better then dead down wind which shows you nothing...so at first i was hitting pw's up and watching them drift down L to R about 5 yards....( i tend to, ok i always seem to hit a little draw so this was great in my book even if it was just the wind)....after a few balls i started to dial in my swing and just knocked one iron after another right down on the stick....This right off the bat knocked the i3+blades straight out of my bag.....feel wise with the zz-65 cushions these irons are a 10....short iron performance wise....they are LONGER...not shorter then my i3+ blades...( and the spec's are the same)....they are easily more accurate...i'm back to seeing the ball go where i'm expecting it to go...I'M STARTING TO GET EXCITED...at this point...i grab a couple of those horribly offset middle irons...(which look great to me though i hate offset) and i again am very impressed with how solid they feel and i'm right on the stick and moving the ball pretty easily...even with the odd wind....out come the long irons and the same if not better...i was ripping the 3 dead down the pipe....great trajectory...great feel...and deep!!!.....i'm almost giggling i'm so pumped up hitting them...

So to see what a couple other guys on the range thought about the offset issue i took the 7 iron over and had them compare it to their irons..one guying playing blades..the other missy pro 2's...both very little offset...and i asked them what they thought...neither guy thought that the offset was an issue or too much.....pretty much what i thought as well...

Now the best part of these irons IMHO is the soles and leading edge grind....they actually have one very similar to what i had on a tour issued set of 04 rac lt's...i was seriously impressed...they did not dig..they were taking a nice little divot and were very consistent ..which is an issue i had with the i3+ blades...they were not very consistent IMHO.....

In closing let me say this...i am a 0.9 handicap...I have heard REPEATILY ...that i would be soooo much better if i just stuck to one set up or bag for any length of time...but what the hell is the fun of that...i am totally anal about my irons as you could tell by the 15 sets i've been through this year alone....I can take a set of irons out to the range and in a half a bucket know whether they are going to be in the bag or not...( i took a new set of the missy mp-37's out this spring..hit the pw and 7 iron and put them back in my truck and sold them that night).....i was more excited about these then any irons i've hit this year...the shafts are perfect in them...i can launch long deep high shots or rip a knock down with them...they are accurate...my ball marks were repeatily dead in the sweet spot and all over the flags......I've spent all summer in a funk and for the first time in a long time i was excited again...i also picked up the new b60 model putter and actually hit the punched putting green for an hour after the range......man that's crazy....i'll put my own finish on these...haven't decided if i want to go with a full bling or just a polished satin....that will happen down the road..for now i might be late but i entered a couple tournaments at the course i was at anyways...i'm ready to get back at it and kick some Word not allowed...

Thanks for the review, I wss trying to decide between the G5s and the i5s. You are a MUCH better player than I so I will go with the G5s first and if I feel them too "easy" to hit I will torture myself and get the i5s.Like this damn game isn't hard enough!!! I am happy to hear that these irons have kept you from a long hiatis. Thanks again! :clapping:

Glad to hear that you like them; mine are on the way. I have been through my own iron trials this year. Many sets, including Hogan BH-5's, Callaway X-16 ps, Rac LT2, Mac 1025M's (liked these best). I don't even really know what I am looking for, other than something that feels right without a ton of offset. I guesss it's kind of fun trying different things, but I wish I could settle on a set of irons. I think I would definitely shoot lower scores if I wasn't switching all the time.

I've been thinking about these irons since I saw them....not sure exactly what it is about them but they are drawing me to them much more than the 735 seem to be.... glad to hear that you're interested in golf again! I know I went through some time this summer where I wasn't interested at all, but now all is very well with golf, I'm sure the same will/is happening to you.

TDM

Stealth 2+

P-DHY

T5 , T22, T22

'24 11.5

I hit the I5  6 iron on the range over the weekend from the ping fitting cart and was impressed at the solid feel and crisp impact.  I love the way the club sets up behind the ball.  For years I have hoped to find a true successor to the eye2 with less offset.  I think PING could have it in the I5.

36367[/snapback]

The I5s come at c9-d0, did you order them custom weighted or are you using the normally light ping swingweight with them?

OK..i got them and headed to the range...first off let me tell you this..i've been on the verge of just giving golf a long hiatus...i'm honestly bored with it....it's been a weird summer that way....

I've been through another year and another huge assortment of irons..15 sets or so...some sets have been really decent but i end up not liking something or other about them...my latest set of i3+ blades..i had last year as well..i love them because i can put a cool finish on them and do the paintfill...i took them out and played um and the first time i did i remembered why i didn't keep them last year..i don't hit them well..they are not very accurate irons....

I've had three sets of s59's...and i've made a combo set of s59's and i3 blades..which to be honest IMHO were much better playing irons then the i3+ blade.....as far as the s59's though...if i'm going to play blades i'm going to play missy's or tourstage mr-23's...i just don't think the s59's feel that great, they are too light.....

The object of my preamble is this...i really wasn't that excited about these either..reading what all the other guys on here had said had pretty much set me up for a disappointment....so when i went down and got them this afternoon, i wasn't expecting much....first of, the offset on these irons doesn't look bad what so ever...i was expecting to see eye2 offset and immediately trade them in and go fishing...Nope..these weren't near as bad as i expected...the heads feel good in my backswing, i can tell where they are versus not with the s59's....i think they look really really good....OFF to the range...

I chose zz-65's in these though i've played p.x. 6.0's since they came out...i've found with the p.x.'s that they hurt my elbow..and i just can't take the dead feel of them anymore.....i thought the 65's might be too soft as my ss is 112+ but they actually felt excellent...man from the first shot i hit...i looked down at these irons and went "Wow"...i was hitting balls at a range with about a 15mph wind coming pretty much straight left to right..which sucked...but i guess that's better then dead down wind which shows you nothing...so at first i was hitting pw's up and watching them drift down L to R about 5 yards....( i tend to, ok i always seem to hit a little draw so this was great in my book even if it was just the wind)....after a few balls i started to dial in my swing and just knocked one iron after another right down on the stick....This right off the bat knocked the i3+blades straight out of my bag.....feel wise with the zz-65 cushions these irons are a 10....short iron performance wise....they are LONGER...not shorter then my i3+ blades...( and the spec's are the same)....they are easily more accurate...i'm back to seeing the ball go where i'm expecting it to go...I'M STARTING TO GET EXCITED...at this point...i grab a couple of those horribly offset middle irons...(which look great to me though i hate offset) and i again am very impressed with how solid they feel and i'm right on the stick and moving the ball pretty easily...even with the odd wind....out come the long irons and the same if not better...i was ripping the 3 dead down the pipe....great trajectory...great feel...and deep!!!.....i'm almost giggling i'm so pumped up hitting them...

So to see what a couple other guys on the range thought about the offset issue i took the 7 iron over and had them compare it to their irons..one guying playing blades..the other missy pro 2's...both very little offset...and i asked them what they thought...neither guy thought that the offset was an issue or too much.....pretty much what i thought as well...

Now the best part of these irons IMHO is the soles and leading edge grind....they actually have one very similar to what i had on a tour issued set of 04 rac lt's...i was seriously impressed...they did not dig..they were taking a nice little divot and were very consistent ..which is an issue i had with the i3+ blades...they were not very consistent IMHO.....

In closing let me say this...i am a 0.9 handicap...I have heard REPEATILY ...that  i would be soooo much better if i just stuck to one set up or bag for any length of time...but what the hell is the fun of that...i am totally anal about my irons as you could tell by the 15 sets i've been through this year alone....I can take a set of irons out to the range and in a half a bucket know whether they are going to be in the bag or not...( i took a new set of the missy mp-37's out this spring..hit the pw and 7 iron and put them back in my truck and sold them that night).....i was more excited about these then any irons i've hit this year...the shafts are perfect in them...i can launch long deep high shots or rip a knock down with them...they are accurate...my ball marks were repeatily dead in the sweet spot and all over the flags......I've spent all summer in a funk and for the first time in a long time i was excited again...i also picked up the new b60 model putter and actually hit the punched putting green for an hour after the range......man that's crazy....i'll put my own finish on these...haven't decided if i want to go with a full bling or just a polished satin....that will happen down the road..for now i might be late but i entered a couple tournaments at the course i was at anyways...i'm ready to get back at it and kick some Word not allowed...

35027[/snapback]

You made a good choice in the ZZ-65 shafts as they make the i5 an entirely different club. I'm afraid because most of the dealers have only ordered and are getting the CS Lite shafts in people are going to walk away. Hopefully they will try the ZZ 65 that is in the fitting cart and compare it to the CS Lite shafts. It even seems better suited to the club than the dynamic golds as well. I took all the i5 demos out and the only one that remotely performed like my S-59s was the ZZ-65. Still more offset than I like and I still prefer the overall shape of the original i3 blade but these are a good attempt. They must be pretty good as Calc won a tournament with something other than his eye2s.

I hit a friends set on the course today. It was the stock CS lite shaft. Im not a fan of that shaft but the I5's nip the ball off the turf so cleanly and crisp it seems as easy as hitting of a mat. I hit shots off bare lies, lush bermuda fws and some tough lies in the rough. I think this is the best iron Ping has ever made. Im getting a set with NV shafts.