2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ireland, the heart of Golf

I am so lucky to have grown up with the best courses in Ireland just a stones throw from my house. I live in the north, home to famous courses such as Royal County Down, Portrush and Portstewart to name a few. I know a large percentage of you are American and would love to hear if have you played in Ireland or do you plan to?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travelled to Ireland in 2000, enjoyed it so much we returned in 2002 and spent the month of September. I would go back every year if I could afford to. We mixed sightseeing in with golf and have been from North to South-East to West. My interest was to play Links golf as we don't have much here in the States.

I wasn't able to get on Royal County Down on either trip, and, is a disappointment. I did play Royal Portrush Dunluce course, Port Stewart, Old course at Lahinch, Cashen and Old course at Ballybunion, Old Head golf links, Ceann Sibeal, Waterville Links, Glasheedy and Old course at Ballyliffin, and Donegal Links. Ireland is the highlight of all my golf travels.

The people were great everywhere we went, and, certainly one of the mosrt beautiful places we've visited.

[quote name='sunbeltgolfer' timestamp='1370544891' post='7183320']
Travelled to Ireland in 2000, enjoyed it so much we returned in 2002 and spent the month of September. I would go back every year if I could afford to. We mixed sightseeing in with golf and have been from North to South-East to West. My interest was to play Links golf as we don't have much here in the States.

I wasn't able to get on Royal County Down on either trip, and, is a disappointment. I did play Royal Portrush Dunluce course, Port Stewart, Old course at Lahinch, Cashen and Old course at Ballybunion, Old Head golf links, Ceann Sibeal, Waterville Links, Glasheedy and Old course at Ballyliffin, and Donegal Links. Ireland is the highlight of all my golf travels.

The people were great everywhere we went, and, certainly one of the mosrt beautiful places we've visited.
[/quote]

Woah great to hear from you! Glad you had such a good experience (must have if you stuck around for two years!) Seems like you took good advantage of the courses we have to offer. Like yourself I love links golf, I enjoy the challenge it brings. As for the scenery, I feel so lucky and blessed to live and grow up in such a beautiful part of the world, we are having a real heatwave at the minute. I myself live a two minute walk from Portstewart GC and am apart of the caddy team. If you plan to head back anytime at all please get in touch, I would love to treat you to a game of golf.

I was there in 2003. Nicest people I ever met! Invited me in to sing with them and have a pint in Lahinch.

Stayed in Lahinch saw the cliffs, the Buren (looks like what I imagine the moon looks like). Played Lahinch. Took a ferry to get to Ballybunion and then went to Waterville via the Ring of Kerry. Think I stayed in Killarney the back half of the trip.

Waterville was unique. Warm and no breeze on the front, got cool and breezy (40MPH!) on the back.

Super awesome experience.

[quote name='golfheaven69' timestamp='1370563626' post='7185416']
I was there 3 weeks ago with my family but didn't play. Visited Lahinch on the way to The Cliffs of Moher. We had a blast and I loved not only the country but the people made a lasting impression. Can't wait to return with my buddies and experience golf in your awesome country.
[/quote]

Glad to hear from you! If you do return send me a message and I'd love to get a round with you! All the best!

[quote name='stevopagolf' timestamp='1370553588' post='7184392']
I was there in 2003. Nicest people I ever met! Invited me in to sing with them and have a pint in Lahinch.

Stayed in Lahinch saw the cliffs, the Buren (looks like what I imagine the moon looks like). Played Lahinch. Took a ferry to get to Ballybunion and then went to Waterville via the Ring of Kerry. Think I stayed in Killarney the back half of the trip.

Waterville was unique. Warm and no breeze on the front, got cool and breezy (40MPH!) on the back.

Super awesome experience.
[/quote]

I am yet to visit a few of those places but I'm sure I will (our islands not that big!). All the best and glad you had such a great trip!

[quote name='halmcgonigle' timestamp='1370511202' post='7180140']
I am so lucky to have grown up with the best courses in Ireland just a stones throw from my house. I live in the north, home to famous courses such as Royal County Down, Portrush and Portstewart to name a few. I know a large percentage of you are American and would love to hear if have you played in Ireland or do you plan to?
[/quote] My son and I spent 3 weeks playing golf in Ireland in May 2012. Best trip we ever had. We arrived in Dublin and played Portmarnock and the European Club. We then headed north and played Royal County Down,Portrush(Dunluce course) and Portstewart. Then we headed to Ballyliffin and then to the southwest where we played Tralee,Ballybunion(old),Lahinch,Doonbeg and Waterville. Best golf in the world!! We loved Portstewart. The front nine is just breathtaking. We also enjoyed the back nine which many international visitors don't care for but that's only because the front nine is so spectacular. We were so warmly greeted by the local members in the Grille room after our round at Portstewart. What a special place!!

I visited Ireland and Northern Ireland a year ago. Landed in Dublin and first stop was Concra Wood, a very nice course, great design by Christy O`Connor. But our priority was to play links golf. So the next day we played Murvaugh. Great course and some fantastic holes at the end of the first nine. Then we drove on to Ballyliffin and played 36 holes on Glashedy Links on saturday and 18 at the old course on sunday. I heard from the guys at Golfstoreeurope in Londonderry that Glashedy is also called "The monster". And I can agree with that, the wind was very much in play that day, but what a fantastic course. Nick Faldo has done a great job there!!! I emailed Portstewart several times, first email was sent a few months before our trip, but no answer, so we just skipped that course and went on to Portrush instead. Played both the Dunluce and The Valley. Very nice both of them, true links! And then we played Ardglass, a true hidden gem. And the trip ended with Royal County Down. A fantastic experience. I can really understand why it often ends up high in lists of the best courses in the world. Tiger Woods have been there several times and stayed at the wonderful hotel next to the course when he has been preparing for the Open (after the scandal he stays some place else and arrive in a helicopter instead). I asked one of the cleaning ladies about it, but she preferred to talk about how nice Jack Nicklaus was, and especially his wife Barbara :) So I will definitely come back to Ireland. Ballybunions both courses and Waterwille is just a few of the courses I want to play... :) Ireland is a fantastic country! Very friendly people. I really hope I can get back to "The Monster" again. I want revenge!!!!

[quote name='vpd' timestamp='1370637624' post='7191620']
[quote name='halmcgonigle' timestamp='1370511202' post='7180140']
[/quote] My son and I spent 3 weeks playing golf in Ireland in May 2012. Best trip we ever had. We arrived in Dublin and played Portmarnock and the European Club. We then headed north and played Royal County Down,Portrush(Dunluce course) and Portstewart. Then we headed to Ballyliffin and then to the southwest where we played Tralee,Ballybunion(old),Lahinch,Doonbeg and Waterville. Best golf in the world!! We loved Portstewart. The front nine is just breathtaking. We also enjoyed the back nine which many international visitors don't care for but that's only because the front nine is so spectacular. We were so warmly greeted by the local members in the Grille room after our round at Portstewart. What a special place!!
[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed your trip! I love Portstewart and too have had the chance to play a few of the courses you named! We are surrounded by true golf courses with historic roots. I hope you return one day, if so I'd love to hear from you!

[quote name='alwaysatrueswinger' timestamp='1370647274' post='7192440']
I visited Ireland and Northern Ireland a year ago. Landed in Dublin and first stop was Concra Wood, a very nice course, great design by Christy O`Connor. But our priority was to play links golf. So the next day we played Murvaugh. Great course and some fantastic holes at the end of the first nine. Then we drove on to Ballyliffin and played 36 holes on Glashedy Links on saturday and 18 at the old course on sunday. I heard from the guys at Golfstoreeurope in Londonderry that Glashedy is also called "The monster". And I can agree with that, the wind was very much in play that day, but what a fantastic course. Nick Faldo has done a great job there!!! I emailed Portstewart several times, first email was sent a few months before our trip, but no answer, so we just skipped that course and went on to Portrush instead. Played both the Dunluce and The Valley. Very nice both of them, true links! And then we played Ardglass, a true hidden gem. And the trip ended with Royal County Down. A fantastic experience. I can really understand why it often ends up high in lists of the best courses in the world. Tiger Woods have been there several times and stayed at the wonderful hotel next to the course when he has been preparing for the Open (after the scandal he stays some place else and arrive in a helicopter instead). I asked one of the cleaning ladies about it, but she preferred to talk about how nice Jack Nicklaus was, and especially his wife Barbara :) So I will definitely come back to Ireland. Ballybunions both courses and Waterwille is just a few of the courses I want to play... :) Ireland is a fantastic country! Very friendly people. I really hope I can get back to "The Monster" again. I want revenge!!!!
[/quote]

Brilliant recollection! I am glad you enjoyed your trip! Disappointed to hear about Portstewart though, unlike our staff. If you do return for this revenge be sure to get in touch, Portstewart is too good to miss twice!

I visited the southwest of Ireland 3 years ago and it was an experience I will never forget. We simply do not have true links golf in the US. While in Ireland, I played Dooks, Tralee, Waterville, Ballybunion (both courses) and Old Head. For the value Dooks is as good a course as one can find. My trip started there and it was a great place to get a feel for links golf. Which was important considering the fact that I had never stepped foot on a true links The back nine at Tralee includes what many argue is the best stretch of holes in all of Ireland. Waterville was simply my favorite course that I have ever played, anywhere. It meanders through the dunes in a way that can make you feel like you are on another planet. The name of the first hole (The Last Easy) tells you all you need to know and somehow not nearly enough. Ballybunion is the home of Irish golf for good reason. The Old Course is beyond description. And for all of the Old Course's subtle genius, the Cashen course is brash, in your face with towering dunes and windswept views. The Old Head is majestic. There is not a spot on the course where you cannot stop and wonder if you are in heaven. Despite its unsurpassed beauty it does not have the feel of the other courses. It feels more ... American. That is not necessarily a bad thing, I just enjoyed the other courses for the fact they were so different.

Been to The Emerald Isle three time...thank the Lord!
Got to play Royal County Down (my favorite course on God's green Earth), Royal Portrush, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Rosse's Point (County Sligo?), Ballybunion, Shannon Golf Club (beside the airport), and Lahinch,, which was incredibly fun!
The courses were amazing and the people of Ireland were so friendly and always helpful to me in my youth.
M next trip back I plan to visit some historical sites and play some of the courses I missed in my earlier visits.
I'm also anxious to take my son (Patrick) over there as I think he'll be very popular given his name.
I should also add that my father's side of the family came from....County Cork! I'm very honored to be of Irish heritage.