arm lock putters?

NevinW

I've been playing a long time and have never been a good putter except for a few streaks. Currently using a Daddy Long Legs and it works better than a conventional or anchored putter. I still get too much wrist in my stroke and I am disappointed with my 34 putts per round average.

I am thinking that an arm lock putter might be an advantage for me. I thought I would get some opinions from others who have tried the method as well as thoughts about the Bobby Grace armlock putter, the Odyssey #7 and the Betinardi Kuchar putter.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I switched to the arm lock I was using a 36 inch mallet. Since switching to the Kuchar Model 2 which is a mallet at 42 inches standard, I really like the way I roll the ball. I am a 2 handicap and feel that it keeps everything quiet and I am using only my shoulders. The wrists and hands are completely out of the equation. The FIT face on the KM2 is unbelievable how soft it is and I would personally recommend after my experience. Hope this helps

I just purchased an Odyssey #7 Arm Lock.. I have only rolled it in the house. I can see that it will take some getting use to. Already I realize the "secret" to keeping your arm engaged with the handle is to follow through long and low. That seems to be the move that keeps everything straight. I also see this as creating a bit of a lag problem for me.
Again I just started with this so I may be a bit off base but I don't think so.
Like you I avarage mid 30s for putts. I will continue to use my SeeMore until I am comfortable with this (that may be never too).

I've been putting with the Kuchar Model #1. It is automatic. I've never rolled the ball so pure. My buddies have commented that my putts seem to hold the line better and almost look self propelled. I've heard that it helps the short putts but not much on long putts. I've experienced the opposite. It's really tightened up my lag putts.

[sub][size=5]#7 metal x oddysey arm lock putter here, for the past 60 days or so. gets better every time I use it. get it cut to the right length, get the right grip, and develop your setup. this may take some trial and error. it may not feel real natural at first. for me it is the best putter I have ever had. 30 putts this past Sunday to shoot 80 on day two to finish first low net in my club championship, and the putter was the difference. especially in pressure situations the arm lock style really helps. I find it very good at lagging as well as very stable for direction on shorter putts.[/size][/sub]

I've got an arm lock Kuchar 2, which I will say that I've used longer than any other putter I've owned over the last 3-4 years. Lagging, and hitting lines is a lot easier.

That said, I do find that it becomes so automatic that it is really easy to get sloppy with your stroke. When that happens, you can start to push/pull the easy 2-3 footers. I have started to do some practicing with a BB2 (8802 style) just to try to focus on the stroke and the contact. I forward press naturally with standard putters, so it transfers pretty well to the arm lock.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1375812051' post='7617234']
I've got an arm lock Kuchar 2, which I will say that I've used longer than any other putter I've owned over the last 3-4 years. Lagging, and hitting lines is a lot easier.

That said, I do find that it becomes so automatic that it is really easy to get sloppy with your stroke. When that happens, you can start to push/pull the easy 2-3 footers. I have started to do some practicing with a BB2 (8802 style) just to try to focus on the stroke and the contact. I forward press naturally with standard putters, so it transfers pretty well to the arm lock.
[/quote]

Sloppy with your stroke? I have yet to notice this yet totally agree on the lagging and long putts is a lot easier but I feel so confident when I step up to it. I'm only thinking about keeping the club head going towards the hole and its $$

[quote name='Birdies&Eagles' timestamp='1375827612' post='7618978']

[/quote]

Sloppy with your stroke? I have yet to notice this yet totally agree on the lagging and long putts is a lot easier but I feel so confident when I step up to it. I'm only thinking about keeping the club head going towards the hole and its $$
[/quote]

Exactly .... on those shorter putts keeping the club head going towards the hole makes all the difference in the world. The other thing is, since the armlock grip is so connected to the arm and the body, the penalty for looking up is pretty severe. Everything moves if you don't keep your eyes on the ground through contact. But if you can establish the correct position at address and maintain it through the stroke, this method is incredibly stable.

I continue to be amazed at how few people are going with this type putter and method. Maybe because it is outside the comfort zone of most. I'm not aware of any other member of my club using it.

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1375831583' post='7619352']
[quote name='Birdies&Eagles' timestamp='1375827612' post='7618978']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly .... on those shorter putts keeping the club head going towards the hole makes all the difference in the world. The other thing is, since the armlock grip is so connected to the arm and the body, the penalty for looking up is pretty severe. Everything moves if you don't keep your eyes on the ground through contact. But if you can establish the correct position at address and maintain it through the stroke, this method is incredibly stable.

I continue to be amazed at how few people are going with this type putter and method. Maybe because it is outside the comfort zone of most. I'm not aware of any other member of my club using it.
[/quote]

I'm surprised it hasn't really taken off yet either, but a part of me wishes it stays this way.

Purchased an arm-lock Odyssey, but am yet to putt with it cause I need to get it cut down to length. Can anyone recommend a grip and/ or orientation? Would like to try the flatso 17 from superstroke, but the macro grip has kinda picqued my interest.
[url="http://www.macrogolf.com/buy-products/#MACRO-Square-Stroke-Grips"]http://www.macrogolf...re-Stroke-Grips[/url]

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Taylormade Brnr 11.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li blue 60
Callaway Paradym 3 Hybrid
4-5 Mizuno MP-27 KBS c-taper lite s
6-PW Mizuno MP-63 KBS c-taper r+
50.07, 54.12, 58.10 Mizuno MP-T5 ttdg w
Ping Ketsch

[quote name='toshman' timestamp='1375845254' post='7621004']
Purchased an arm-lock Odyssey, but am yet to putt with it cause I need to get it cut down to length. Can anyone recommend a grip and/ or orientation? Would like to try the flatso 17 from superstroke, but the macro grip has kinda picqued my interest.
[url="http://www.macrogolf.com/buy-products/#MACRO-Square-Stroke-Grips"]http://www.macrogolf...re-Stroke-Grips[/url]

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
[/quote]

I was also interested in the new Flatso but it has been "on backorder" for months. I gave up on that. I installed a ss 1.3 size which is 17 inches long with the flat spot in the traditional straight up position for the thumbs. I know some people have talked about having the flat spot against the forearm but for me the grip is plenty stable against the forearm without doing that. I think there is greater value in having the thumbs on that spot. I will say that the fatter grip helps a lot, as with a standard or mid size grip my left hand felt a bit contorted / strained but with the larger grip things feel much more natural / comfortable.

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked up a Kuchar #1 arm lock, love it so far (spent 2 hours putting today). Things I've noticed so far (just my testing).. -Very easy to 'dis-engage' the shaft from your arm on longer putts unless you keep the putter head low, like airguard mentioned. Fixed that with making sure wrists remained locked. -It's very easy to bang home those annoying 3 foot uphill putts but downhill breakers needed a high level of touch to control the heavy head. -Lag putting was fine, actually had a tougher time on long uphill rather than downhill. -If you lift your head, you will miss.

I'd say the 2 things to focus on would be keeping the head low through impact/follow through and making sure your head stays still, no peaking.

Callaway XHot Pro 9.5 PX 6.0
Callaway XHot Pro 17 PX 6.0
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid
Mizuno MP 59 4-P KBS Tour S
Vokey SM5 50F / 54F / 58K
Kingston GSS KP1

[/quote]

This^. It is easy to get sloppy with your stroke. The arm lock approach really takes the hands and wrists out of the equation. For me, with conventional putters Ive always struggled pulling it back too far inside. Pulling it back too far inside with a conventional putter, you can save the stroke with the hands. Because the hands are out of the equation with the arm lock, if you suck it back inside you cant save it as easily.

TM M5 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 
TM M5 14.5 Aldila Rouge Silver 
Bridgestone J38 3-PW KBS C-Taper 125S+
TM TP EF Wedges 50 54 48
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

[quote name='BRIDGESTONE1' timestamp='1378291661' post='7795093']

[/quote]

This^. It is easy to get sloppy with your stroke. The arm lock approach really takes the hands and wrists out of the equation. For me, with conventional putters Ive always struggled pulling it back too far inside. Pulling it back too far inside with a conventional putter, you can save the stroke with the hands. Because the hands are out of the equation with the arm lock, if you suck it back inside you cant save it as easily.
[/quote]

Exactly. With the arm lock you HAVE to use the big muscles. That is what I love about it. As a recent poster said, just keep your head down through the stroke, and follow through, and the ball WILL go on the line you aim at. For those of us who just can't keep our wrists out of it with a conventional putter, this method is a god send. Achieving 29-30 putts per round which I thought I would never see.

[quote name='Golfinwill' timestamp='1378296255' post='7795233']
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this but Sam Bettinardi (Bob's son) shot 66 a new course record at a local club outside Chicago with his Kuch #2. Pretty impressive stuff coming from this putter and new style!
[/quote]

Yeah, he's a pretty good stick, from what I've heard and seen.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1378304716' post='7795741']
[quote name='Golfinwill' timestamp='1378296255' post='7795233']
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this but Sam Bettinardi (Bob's son) shot 66 a new course record at a local club outside Chicago with his Kuch #2. Pretty impressive stuff coming from this putter and new style!
[/quote]

Yeah, he's a pretty good stick, from what I've heard and seen.
[/quote]

I actually played with against him in college. He was actually a horrible putter. Evidently this new method has helped him and I would imagine it could help a lot of others as well. 66 is no fluke round either. If I was him I would keep that putter in my bag and never turn back!

[quote name='Birdies&Eagles' timestamp='1375373991' post='7583790']
Before I switched to the arm lock I was using a 36 inch mallet. Since switching to the Kuchar Model 2 which is a mallet at 42 inches standard, I really like the way I roll the ball. I am a 2 handicap and feel that it keeps everything quiet and I am using only my shoulders. The wrists and hands are completely out of the equation. The FIT face on the KM2 is unbelievable how soft it is and I would personally recommend after my experience. Hope this helps
[/quote]

Birdies&Eagles, how tall are you? I'm 6'5", thinking about getting a Kuch model, and wondering if I might need longer than stock?

I have had my Kuch Model 2 for 2 weeks now. When I first got I was questioning my purchase... after about 30 minutes of getting used to the feel I was really putting a nice stroke on the ball. I played a couple of times with the model 2 and i can tell you that my lines were impeccable the only trouble i had was hitting putts from 30+ feet simply beacause i wasn't comfortable with the style yet. I think this could be the putter that takes me to the next level... stay tuned!

I wanted to add a quick blurb about my experience ordering the Kuch Model...these things are flying off the shelves and they are difficult to get... i recommend giving bettinardi a call direct... and asking them which distributor has them in stock... the guys over there are great and they may have the best customer service ive seen.

[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1378824056' post='7825605']
[quote name='erikro' timestamp='1378822913' post='7825493']
What other arm lock putters are available? Odyssey doesnt show the #7 on the website.
[/quote]

Thought I read somewhere they discontinued it already...
[/quote]

Hard to believe but you are correct, the arm lock putters are no longer on the Odyssey site, although the belly putters and long putters still are! However, I see some still for sale on the internet such as tgw.com at regular price. Personally I bought an Odyssey # 7 metal x arm lock about two months ago and totally love it. But perhaps others are slow to try something that seems a bit radical? I bet we will see some things change in about two years when 2016 comes closer.