2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Philly Mick Fires Back

thusgone

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with what Mickleson said in reference to Miller, but it brings up something I've been thinking about since the aftermath of the Open. Isn't the criticism of Mickleson for the US Open, and his play after the Open, very well warranted? In any other sport, talk show hosts, columnists, bloggers et al hammer athleletes for their poor performances, why should golf be different? Gotta take the good with the bad

I think he did mean it in jest, and it is pretty funny. Miller was really critical during and after the US Open collapse, and rightfully so. A lot of Miller's credibility comes from the fact that he was so good in his day.

I think the point is well taken that these guys have to take the bad as well as the good when it comes to commentary on their performances. But even if that's true, it has to sting him a little to have his Winged Foot meltdown followed by endless rehashing and criticism.

I'm not sure I understand point about Tiger getting roasted for such a comment. I can't recall Tiger getting roasted for any of his comments (his scheduling choices are another matter, but Mickelson gets sh*t for that as well). In fact, I don't think I can recall any remotely controversial comments that Tiger has made. He's very careful about what he says in the media.

t** for tat in my opinion. All the great players know what the media is saying about them, including golf commentators. What Mickelson did at the US Open was bonehead and he acknowledged it. Does anyone think that someone with Mickelson's talent would collapse for the rest of his career in golf tournaments? Miller is simply trying to apply a little additional pressure on a player of note. That's what they pay him for. He has been successful because he is not afraid of hurting anyone's feelings. I also think Miller can take a shot as well.

Personally, I think that Mickelson will actually perform better now as a result of what he did at the Open. Can he step it up to beat Tiger in a tight spot in a major? Only time will tell. If he drives the ball like he did at the AT&T he could hold his own. I would bet that if Mickelson won a major this year Miller would acknowledge that he was up to the challenge and won the battle with himself.

Never been a big fan of Miller but not a fan of Phils eaither. Much too fake and tries too hard to become everyones hero that he really reminds me of a woman with plastic surgery. It's obvious and it really doesn't look any better IMHO. Phil isn't as good as he or his legions think.

Are we talking ability wise? Because other then Majors he has just as many as anyone that is still competitive on tour. Oh yah, that and he has 30+ tour victories, I think he is pretty good.

He is good, he just isn't as good as he and his "fans" think he is. Right now he is 4th in the world even after the win last week. Yet somehow there are those including I believe himself who thinks he is ranked #1. His pride and thinking he is better then he is got in the way during the last couple of Ryder Cups as well and he made some bad shots going for things he isn't capable of. When he shows some maturity in his game and stops trying to come off as everyones friends maybe I'll have more respect for him both as a player and a person. Until then he is only ranked #4, not #1, and his phoney grin masks IMHO a very insecure person.

Because other then Majors he has just as many as anyone that is still competitive on tour.

His 30 wins include his 3 majors.

Tiger has 55 or so tour wins including his 12 majors..Take the 12 majors out and he still has 43 tour wins...to 27 for Phil..Not sure what you mean by that statement...but you are probably the same guy who thinks Phil is number 1 :drinks:

I think he meant besides tiger. We all know tiger is tiger and is in a class of his own, but Mickelson gets a lot of flack for not be that "competitive" against tiger (who is?). I don't think anyone would say that Mickelson is better than tiger (in golf), but I think a lot of people like the way Mickelson handles himself with fans, family and the media better than tiger. I'm a Phil fan because after blowing a major with one hole to play, calling himself an "idiot", he still spent time signing autographs for fans. This says a lot about his character and is a reason he continues to have such a strong fan base.

I don't think anyone would say that Mickelson is better than tiger (in golf), but I think a lot of people like the way Mickelson handles himself with fans, family and the media better than tiger. I'm a Phil fan because after blowing a major with one hole to play, calling himself an "idiot", he still spent time signing autographs for fans. This says a lot about his character and is a reason he continues to have such a strong fan base.

probably..but a good number of folks also think it's all a facade..and prefer Tiger's champion and fighting spirit and what you see is what you get nature to one deemed as fake by a lot of his peers. Glad he has such a strong fan base..but he's only become famous because the masses need someone to go against Tiger. He's been on tour how many years? before Tiger joined? Tiger's made every tour player better and richer too for that matter..he did not sign or do any interviews after the Doral loss to Tiger..that's what I remember..

You've GOT to be kidding me?

FIRST: What are the world rankings anyway? Do you really think Furyk and Scott are better than Phil? Last time I checked, the two of them combined don't have near as many wins as Phil. They're great players but.......... c'mon. At best, the rankings are screwed up.

SECOND: I can't understand having an opinion about what someone else thinks about themselves. How do any of us know what Phil actually thinks of himself? I can tell you this; to complete and win at that level, you better think you're the best because that's what fuels you're confidence level and without confidence you'd end up with Clampett, Duval and Baker-Finch.

IMHFO.....golf needs a Phil and needs a Phil that's exciting and excels regularly. Golf has huge TV contracts to pay for and needs to air a "show" that's exciting and one that the masses want to watch. Phil's style, like it or not, provides excitement for that "show." Golf also needs some healthy rivals competing regularly against each other and producing high drama. Golf may even need more than that right now, like more of the 16th at the TPC at Scottsdale. Any way you look at it, if it's going to grow as a popular spectator sport, it's got to remain interesting and Phil is capable of creating some of that.

he just isn't as good as he and his "fans" think he is. Right now he is 4th in the world even after the win last week. His pride and thinking he is better then he is got in the way during the last couple of Ryder Cups as well and he made some bad shots going for things he isn't capable of. When he shows some maturity in his game and stops trying to come off as everyones friends maybe I'll have more respect for him both as a player and a person. Until then he is only ranked #4, not #1, and his phoney grin masks IMHO a very insecure person.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I think Phil's comment was half truth and half in jest. Nothing wrong with that. I also know I'm in the minority when I say I like Johnny Miller. He has been in the heat of battle so he knows what it's like to play on Sundays with everything on the line. He is also willing to say what he thinks, whether it's popular or not.

I think he did mean it in jest, and it is pretty funny. Miller was really critical during and after the US Open collapse, and rightfully so. A lot of Miller's credibility comes from the fact that he was so good in his day.

I think the point is well taken that these guys have to take the bad as well as the good when it comes to commentary on their performances. But even if that's true, it has to sting him a little to have his Winged Foot meltdown followed by endless rehashing and criticism.

I'm not sure I understand point about Tiger getting roasted for such a comment. I can't recall Tiger getting roasted for any of his comments (his scheduling choices are another matter, but Mickelson gets sh*t for that as well). In fact, I don't think I can recall any remotely controversial comments that Tiger has made. He's very careful about what he says in the media.

There is always "truth" in "jest".

I saw in this months Golf Digest Johnny took another pot shot at Phil for his spikes.

Miller Talks Golf

By Johnny Miller with Guy Yocom

Golf Digest

March 2007

TRENDS

Metal spikes aren’t dead yet

Five years ago, I was surprised to see that a number of PGA Tour pros still preferred metal spikes to plastic cleats. Today I’m amazed. There are players, Phil Mickelson the most notable, who swear they slip when wearing even the longest and broadest spikeless alternatives. I don’t get it. In my best years, steel spikes were insufficient for me. Through impact, I had a tendency to roll onto the outside of my left foot, where the metal spikes weren’t in position to grab the ground. I slipped all the time, and I believe inadequate traction cost me a few tournaments. Today’s plastic spikes extend along the perimeter of the shoes, and I don’t slip anymore. It’s made the game easier.

If a guy slips wearing spikeless shoes, it’s a sign he’s not swinging well. When my feet slipped with the driver, I could sense that my balance wasn’t sharp; I was swinging too hard or was otherwise out of control. Heck, Sam Snead could play as well barefoot as he could with steel spikes. What does that tell you?

Speaking with tongue slightly implanted in cheek, I suspect there’s another reason the holdouts on tour prefer metal spikes: It’s a way of reminding you that they’re tour players, and you’re not.

I saw in this months Golf Digest Johnny took another pot shot at Phil for his spikes.

Miller Talks Golf

Golf Digest

March 2007

TRENDS

Five years ago, I was surprised to see that a number of PGA Tour pros still preferred metal spikes to plastic cleats. Today I’m amazed. There are players, Phil Mickelson the most notable, who swear they slip when wearing even the longest and broadest spikeless alternatives. I don’t get it. In my best years, steel spikes were insufficient for me. Through impact, I had a tendency to roll onto the outside of my left foot, where the metal spikes weren’t in position to grab the ground. I slipped all the time, and I believe inadequate traction cost me a few tournaments. Today’s plastic spikes extend along the perimeter of the shoes, and I don’t slip anymore. It’s made the game easier.

If a guy slips wearing spikeless shoes, it’s a sign he’s not swinging well. When my feet slipped with the driver, I could sense that my balance wasn’t sharp; I was swinging too hard or was otherwise out of control. Heck, Sam Snead could play as well barefoot as he could with steel spikes. What does that tell you?

Speaking with tongue slightly implanted in cheek, I suspect there’s another reason the holdouts on tour prefer metal spikes: It’s a way of reminding you that they’re tour players, and you’re not.

Nothing to do with Phil.. Gozz..plenty of pros wear spikes.. Tiger and VJ included. Johnny is Johnny.. he says whatever.. maybe he does not swing as hard as he used too.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Miller Talks Golf

Golf Digest

March 2007

TRENDS

Nothing to do with Phil.. Gozz..plenty of pros wear spikes.. Tiger and VJ included. Johnny is Johnny.. he says whatever.. maybe he does not swing as hard as he used too.

Nothing to do with Phil, then why call him out by name? Why not use any other pros name given the history between the two of them? Sergio has been questioned about the track spikes he wears why not insert his name. I did not say he was calling Phil out, I said it was a pot shot which it is. When you say Phil is the most notable and then go on to make comments like "If a guy slips wearing spikeless shoes, it’s a sign he’s not swinging well" that is a jab. Tiger is the #1 golfer in the world why not use him as an example? Why, because your not going to say that a guy that just won 7 PGA events straight can not swing well in spikeless shoes. It's just another way for Johnny to take another harmless shot & he did.

nothing Johnny does is harmless.. he always has an agenda (cool)

I certainly would agree with that.

I guess what I mean is that Johnny Millers comment is to everyone.. it's almost become PC to use Phil as and example (usually bad examples), so he chose too. If he had used Tiger..well that would not be smart, he might get ignored for a future interview or post round commentary.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I guess what I mean is that Johnny Millers comment is to everyone.. it's almost become PC to use Phil as and example (usually bad examples), so he chose too. If he had used Tiger..well that would not be smart, he might get ignored for a future interview or post round commentary.

there's obviously some kind of bias against Tiger on this board and others...I mean if you guys can't hear the negatives that Miller says about Tiger , then deafness would be kind...The guy almost always rips on Tiger.

nothing Johnny does is harmless.. he always has an agenda (cool)

I certainly would agree with that.

I believe that we are on the same page. Miller's article is commentary to all tour players that are still wearing spikes. My point is that his article would read the same if he would of left out "Phil Mickelson the most notable." There was no need to put in any name since he was addressing all players that wear spikes. He went out of his way to take a jab at Phil, that was his agenda. The illustration does not help also.

My point is that his article would read the same if he would of left out "Phil Mickelson the most notable."

because he's had the worst case of over spiking greens. It happened at the Masters in 2005 when VJ got pissed off with his circling around drill before putting...he was raking the greens for the players behind..and this became a big deal as Vj complained to the tour...