No Cancun Courses on the Ocean...SERIOUSLY?

skyking

Staying at Moon Palace Cancun for a week starting Thanksgiving. Our pro stays there all the time, doesn't play any course but one of the 3 9's there.

I was looking at an aerial view from the tip of Cancun all the way down to Tulum and didn't see one course that ran along the ocean. Did I miss something? It appears the Mayacoba course just north of Playa del Carmen has a couple greens at the ocean but that's it. .

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stayed in Puerto Aventuras last year and noticed an abundant amount of resort development on the drive down from Cancun. There were one or two golf courses along the freeway but it seemed you were either going to get a mega resort with pristine beach or dense forest next to the shore. Looks like their business focus is on condo/resort development to take advantage of any coastline with golf courses further down the priority list.

TaylorMade & Callaway Gear

Okay...it is what it is then and I didn't miss any courses that are on the ocean during my aerial search. Our pro said it's hard to get his wife out to play everyday at Moon Palace, so it isn't worth leaving the compound to play. We get $1,500 credit for the week stay but at $289 per person for a morning round that'll get chewed up pretty quick. The pro said most men with a family play as early as possible, while the wife and kids sleep and get ready for the day.

The only course I might look in to playing is Mayacoba.

Not sure why you need to play a golf course on the "ocean"? Riveria Maya Golf club is beautiful and maybe a 1/2 mile from the ocean, and has plenty of water some even with white sand next to it. The Gran Bahia resort is connected to it and has all the beach access there..I'm sure they didn't want to give up any beachfront for the course to touch the ocean.

Yes, they save the beach front for the real money making but if you get too close to the ocean you can run into problems with erosion. That whole coastline fluctuates quite a lot with significant amount of coastline disappearing and reappearing from year to year. At the Mayakoba where they have the Par 3 - #15 get close to the ocean, there is a real problem with potential erosion. I was there last year and without some serious human intervention the whole right side of the green would fall onto the beach. Jungle is way cheaper and the features are far more interesting. Also, the farther you get from the coast, the less you have to deal with the trade winds.

The railing is only about 15 ft from the right edge of the green and drops down about 8 ft into the water.
[attachment=1946516:#15Mayakoba.JPG]

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='skyking' timestamp='1384016453' post='8123838']
Yea, that's the logical answer however, there are miles of nothing down the Yucatan peninsula. I was reading posts here earlier today stating Pebble Beach prices for a round in the Cancun area. For $500 a round I better see some ocean on most holes plus a mermaid or two.
[/quote]
When I was there last January, the most I payed was at Mayakoba and that was $249 (plus rider fee for my wife - $75 I think) No F & B included. The guys let me play again after there round for free and got in 9 more holes. There is no one playing. Playacar course was $200 (replay was $35) and that included ALL F & B. Riviera Maya I got on for $149 (no F & B). Playacar is still my favourite and possibly the toughest. Mayakoba was nice but almost every hole you better hit the fairway or be prepared to drop one. Can't wait to watch it this week to see where they hit it now that I know what it looks like. Rivera Maya was fun and some really cool holes.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

In the paper today:
[color=#333333][size=4][b]
[b]A British golfer almost lost his leg after being savaged by a 12ft crocodile during a holiday with friends.[/b][/b][/size][/color][color=#333333][size=4]
Dougie Thompson stepped into a bunker to take a shot when the reptile sprung from the bushes at a golf course in Mexico.[/size][/color][color=#333333][size=4]
The snappy crocodile clamped down on the 58-year-old’s leg before attempting to pull him into a nearby swamp at the Iberostar Cancun Golf Club.[/size][/color][color=#333333][size=4]
It was only after friends beat the croc with golf clubs and drove over it in a golf buggy that it released its grip, allowing Mr Thompson to be pulled to safety[/size][/color]

[quote name='4pillars' timestamp='1384273217' post='8137220']
In the paper today:

[color=#333333][b][b]A British golfer almost lost his leg after being savaged by a 12ft crocodile during a holiday with friends.[/b][/b][/color]
[color=#333333]Dougie Thompson stepped into a bunker to take a shot when the reptile sprung from the bushes at a golf course in Mexico.[/color]
[color=#333333]The snappy crocodile clamped down on the 58-year-old’s leg before attempting to pull him into a nearby swamp at the Iberostar Cancun Golf Club.[/color]
[color=#333333]It was only after friends beat the croc with golf clubs and drove over it in a golf buggy that it released its grip, allowing Mr Thompson to be pulled to safety[/color]
[/quote]
You are in the jungle. You might think you are in civilization, but you're not. Be aware of your surroundings. No different than if I went out into the scrub in Scottsdale and got bit by a rattlesnake. How could they allow these creatures to be there? Duh! I'm trespassing on their turf not the other way around.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

In the paper today:

A British golfer almost lost his leg after being savaged by a 12ft crocodile during a holiday with friends.

Dougie Thompson stepped into a bunker to take a shot when the reptile sprung from the bushes at a golf course in Mexico.

The snappy crocodile clamped down on the 58-year-old’s leg before attempting to pull him into a nearby swamp at the Iberostar Cancun Golf Club.

It was only after friends beat the croc with golf clubs and drove over it in a golf buggy that it released its grip, allowing Mr Thompson to be pulled to safety

You are in the jungle. You might think you are in civilization, but you're not. Be aware of your surroundings. No different than if I went out into the scrub in Scottsdale and got bit by a rattlesnake. How could they allow these creatures to be there? Duh! I'm trespassing on their turf not the other way around.

There are much more hazardous things in Scottsdale than rattlesnakes..........

cqio.jpg

Ping G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 Max 15 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 3 Hybrid Kai'Li White

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 50, 56, 60

A crock? God that adds a whole new meaning to hazard! I lived in Texas for decades and visited Louisiana many times but gators don't attack.

We're staying at Moon Palace and has three 9's Jack designed. I asked our pro again yesterday about other courses especially Mayacoba and he said he has no clue because he's never left the resort. He's going down for 18 days in January. Couldn't imagine NEVER leaving the compound. I've been to Cancun 15-20 times as a corporate pilot back in the day but wasn't playing golf back then.

Going to watch the Mayacoba tournament this week. Hopefully Matt will have a segment or two about golf in Cancun on Morning Drive this week.

cqio.jpg

They're discussing who's going to remove the cholla from his groinal area. Rock - Paper - Tweezers.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

In the paper today:

[color=#333333][b][b]A British golfer almost lost his leg after being savaged by a 12ft crocodile during a holiday with friends.[/b][/b][/color]
[color=#333333]Dougie Thompson stepped into a bunker to take a shot when the reptile sprung from the bushes at a golf course in Mexico.[/color]
[color=#333333]The snappy crocodile clamped down on the 58-year-old’s leg before attempting to pull him into a nearby swamp at the Iberostar Cancun Golf Club.[/color]
[color=#333333]It was only after friends beat the croc with golf clubs and drove over it in a golf buggy that it released its grip, allowing Mr Thompson to be pulled to safety[/color]
[/quote]

Crazy, I played there a couple of times this year and did not see any crocs.

Ping G400 AD-DI
Ping G425 3 Wood

Adams XTD 3 Hybrid
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Scratch 53 & 58
Studio Select Kombi

[quote name='Prof3ssor' timestamp='1384295096' post='8139344']
In the paper today:

[/quote]

Crazy, I played there a couple of times this year [b]and did not see any crocs[/b].
[/quote]

Neither did Mr Thompson... until it was too late.

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1384352497' post='8142276']
[quote name='Prof3ssor' timestamp='1384295096' post='8139344']
In the paper today:

[/quote]

Crazy, I played there a couple of times this year [b]and did not see any crocs[/b].
[/quote]

Neither did Mr Thompson... until it was too late.
[/quote]

Ha! Nice one!

Ping G400 AD-DI
Ping G425 3 Wood

Adams XTD 3 Hybrid
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Scratch 53 & 58
Studio Select Kombi

In the paper today:

A British golfer almost lost his leg after being savaged by a 12ft crocodile during a holiday with friends.

Dougie Thompson stepped into a bunker to take a shot when the reptile sprung from the bushes at a golf course in Mexico.

The snappy crocodile clamped down on the 58-year-old’s leg before attempting to pull him into a nearby swamp at the Iberostar Cancun Golf Club.

It was only after friends beat the croc with golf clubs and drove over it in a golf buggy that it released its grip, allowing Mr Thompson to be pulled to safety

cqio.jpg

play it where it lies!

I recorded Sunday's Morning Drive that included a segment on Cancun. They interviewed a guy at Moon Palace where I'll be staying and he said they had 60,000 rounds last year...60,000. It may not be a golf destination but it doesn't look like I can just walk on when the mood hits...especially at $250+ a round. Thank God we have $1,500 in credit per room.

[quote name='skyking' timestamp='1384917777' post='8175816']
I recorded Sunday's Morning Drive that included a segment on Cancun. They interviewed a guy at Moon Palace where I'll be staying and he said they had 60,000 rounds last year...60,000. It may not be a golf destination but it doesn't look like I can just walk on when the mood hits...especially at $250+ a round. Thank God we have $1,500 in credit per room.
[/quote]
They must have been using the Peso conversion. There is no freakin' way that any course in that area is getting 60,000 rounds. Take out 60 days for bad weather and that still means 200+ per day. At $250 no chance.

When I was in Playa in January, I could get a decent tee time next day. Played Mayakoba and there couldn't have been 40 people on the course. Busiest course was Playacar and that's more due to it's central location and being linked to many of the timeshare hotels.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

EXCELLENT...thanks Socrates. I'm going with the misses and I'm still working on her speeding things up and not looking at wildlife so much, talking so much, not being ready when it's her turn AND REMEMBER TO TAKE HER PUTTER TO THE GREEN...geez. When she plays I get more yard passes and I do enjoy getting out with her but I don't keep score because I'm too distracted even with a single index. Imagining the courses down there being packed with her along wasn't something I was looking forward to facing.

I'm heading to Cancun in January for my honeymoon and staying at Le Blanc. Part of the deal is we get unlimited free golf at Moon Palace and Riveria Cancun Golf Club. Please post after you get back from your trip and let us know what you thought of the course. Would love to hear how you rank the 3 9hole courses.

• 2 weeks later...

I have played a few courses in and around Cancun. Mayakoba, Playa Mujeres and Iberostar Playa Paraiso all included transport to the course from our hotel in Cancun. I liked Mayakoba but personally though Playa Mujeres was my favorite. There was hardly anyone on the course and there were three or four holes near the water. Playa Paraiso was in bad shape when I played (this was prior to Big Break filming however). The Iberostar Cancun course (formerly Kulkukan) was my least favorite but was across from my hotel and cheap. They did have a lot of crocs on property however.

TM Stealth+ Diamana ZF
Callaway Rogue Max Tensei Blue
Mizuno 223 Modus 115
Cleveland Zipcore KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Bettinardi BB-28

[quote name='Truman' timestamp='1384910518' post='8175032']
Best golf destination in MX is Los Cabos.
[/quote]

+1. I was just there and played Cabo Real and Compestre. Both great tracks. Compestre played super long and Cabo Real only had 1 Oceanside hole. The back 9 at Cabo Real was one difficult 9! Paid $120 to play them both and to me the better deal was Cabo Real.

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

Just got back late last night. Shorts yesterday morning but snow greeted us here in the mid-Atlantic...miserable.

The 3 Jack Nicklaus 9's at Moon Palace were all a delight. As I had read about his designs before going, the premium is on the approach shot. Fairly wide fairways but bunkers were strategically placed. I played with the wife so I didn't keep score and we moved along pretty quickly. If she hit a bad tee shot her next shot was at my ball. A lot of undulation in the greens but true and you could see the breaks. The question was only how much break to play. Only 2 holes out of 27 presented the possibility of a blind approach shot if your drive wasn't long. If you mishit your approach shot you pay, which is in my experience, is unusual but welcome for a resort course. If your drive was too far back than Nicklaus intended there is little chance of holding the green. Longer par 4's were designed to hold approach shots. Greens were so hard I don't remember having to repair one ball mark...not one.

Played 3 rounds and enjoyed all 3. Everybody was very friendly and helpful. Unless she wears hearing aids my wife is profoundly deaf and has been since picking up a virus traveling in Europe during her 20's. When she plays golf and sweats the hearing aids are uncomfortable so she prefers to play without. The starter recognized that and figured out a way for us to play as a twosome. That courtesy will never be forgotten.

Unlimited sandwiches, liquor, beer, drinks and snacks on the course at no extra charge. HOWEVER, d*mn...$250 is A LOT for a round of golf. We had $1,500 in credits and went to a timeshare presentation...not really hard sell which was nice and got an extra round of golf for free.

Thanks for the update, sounds like a fun course to play. Was there any trouble getting tee times? How far in advance did you book them? Did you ever play all 27 at once or did you stick with 18?

We've got free unlimited golf there with our package, but not sure which days we will play. Was wondering if I could call the day before and get a tee time for the next early morning or if that's an unrealistic expectation and I should book them well in advance?

Got tee times the day before without any issues. We played just after 10 the first two times and 7:20 on Saturday. Early was actually better for us since it left more of the day to relax.

There were hardcore golfers who played 36 a day then hammered the buffet. Lots of good food at the buffets but with the wife buffet wouldn't do because they had 8-10 high quality restaurants included in the all inclusive.