2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Driving Iron or Hybrid?

mikehill06

I was looking for advise on the pro's and con's of a 18* driving iron like the Mizuno fli-hi or a hybrid like the 19* cleveland halo or Rescue Mid. I am looking for a 2 iron type distance ( I would like to get rid of my 5 wood and replace it with one of these) any comments would be great, thanks.....

Taylormade Qi10 V2 9.0* w/ Ventus TR Blk 6X
Taylormade Qi10 13.5* (Tour Version) w/ Ventus TR Black 7X

Taylormade Stealth + 18* w/ GD Tour AD VF 8TX OR Titleist T200U 23' 17* w/ Ventus Black HB 9TX
Titleist T150 23' 4 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T150 23' 5 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T100 23' 6-PW w/ DG TI X100
Titleist SM10  50* F Grind  w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 54* S Grind w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 58* T Grind w/ DG TI S400
Odyssey Ai One Mini Jailbird Double Slant 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I might be leaning towards a driving iron is that I hit my 3 iron very well but struggle with my 5 wood, so I am thinking of getting something that is like a 2 iron ( I prefer hitting irons rather than woods) but I have never hit a hybrid before.

Taylormade Stealth + 18* w/ GD Tour AD VF 8TX OR Titleist T200U 23' 17* w/ Ventus Black HB 9TX

Your needs were very similar to mine when I went the hybrid/driving iron route.

I wanted to get more consistency with my 2 iron and getting something to eliminate a 5 wood in the bag, yet cover the gap between my 3 wood and 3 iron.

I initially tried a few hybrids....TM and Hogan, but never had the results I liked with them. I later tried a Tourstage FuT U3/19*. The club is extremely square and very long. It hits nearly as far as my 3 wood and I use it when I play long courses.

The other club that for the most part is always in my bag is my Fourteen 858/19*. I find it a little more versatile then my Tourstage. I can do pretty much everything I was able to do with my 2 iron but the added consistency is a great plus. The distance I get out of it is right there in between my 3 wood and 3 iron. It's been great for me off the tee and also a great "target" club for situations where I want to place the ball perfectly on a tight par 4 or lay up on a long par 5.

Here's some pics:

Tourstage FuT U3

DSCN1135.jpg

DSCN1133.jpg

DSCN1136.jpg

FOURTEEN 858

DSCN1236.jpg

DSCN1237.jpg

I carry both in my main bag. A TM Japan Rescue 5w/757 (17*) and a Miz Fli Hi/TX 90 21*. The driving iron is mainly used off the tee when I need a 200-210 yard tee shot straight down the middle. It gets fairly little fairway use unless it is a good lie. The Rescue/hybrid gets a lot of second shots into par 5s (I hit it 220 off the deck and have it land soft) or when the fairway is fairly open but there is no premium to hit driver (forced doglegs or holes with water at the 240-250 mark). I hardly hit 3 iron so it was a no brainer to carry both.

I'm not a fan of hybrids off the teebox, mostly because they seem to respond to hitting DOWN on the ball, which is not great off the tee.

For that reason - I'm looking for a Driving Iron, to alternate with my 5Wood, on windy days. Top Contendas right now are the Nike ProCombo Utility, and the Bridgestone J33 combo.

I was looking for advise on the pro's and con's of a 18* driving iron like the Mizuno fli-hi or a hybrid like the 19* cleveland halo or Rescue Mid.  I am looking for a 2 iron type distance ( I would like to get rid of my 5 wood and replace it with one of these) any comments would be great, thanks.....

38763[/snapback]

I might be minority here but I actually prefer a 5 wood, I found a V steel that I can hit pretty consistent off the tee and from the fairway or second cut. I found if you swing at 70% it works very well I hit it easily 220 yards ++ One thing with hybrids, people tend to try and hit it harder just because it seems hit down to get the ball up and I found most hybrids shorter than a corresponding fairway metal of the same loft.. could have to do with the shaft length. The longer shaft makes me swing smother and better tempo.. faster swing speed..

How are the driving irons off of the deck? I mean are they mostly for off the tee? Also are all hybrids(Mizuno CLK, TM rescue Mid, Nickent etc..) mostly high trajectory, I live in Oklahoma and the wind can be tough. I looking for distances between my 3 wood and 3 iron..... I hit my 5 wood about 220 to 225.

i've got to back sam tee time on the nike pro combo utility iron. i went through some problems in the early spring not being able to hit my 5 wood (which was a solid club for me). i tried some experimenting with a 2 iron, tm rescue club, mizuno clk, and the nike pro combo utility iron. the 2 iron and pro combo had the best results. after some time i ended up getting both the 2 iron with rifle 6.0 and a 18* pro combo utility iron stiff steel.

the utility iron has been in the bag for the last 4 monthes now and has been great. i've hit some shots with this i didn't think possible. i can hit draws, fades, high shots, low shots, shots that roll, shots that have bite. its a great club from the tee box, fairway, bunker, rough, you name it.

i highly recommend giving club a shot. well worth it. also check out the cleveland ldi. i've tried the ldi only on the range, but seems just about the same as the nike. i am partial to nike, so i give nike the edge.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I would say your choice depends on how you're intending on using the club. If you think you'll use the club a lot off the tee, I would go with a driving iron. However, driving irons can be difficult to hit off the deck, so if you think you'll use the club going to a lot of long par 4s and reachable par 5s, then I would look at a wood-like hybrid instead.

If you're looking for a club that hits it low, the general consensus is that the Sonartec MD with the stock iRod produces a fairly low trajectory. Also, most of the iron-like hybrids (FliHi, LDI, 858, etc.) tend to hit the ball lower than the wood-like hybrids (Rescue Mid, Nickent, FliHi CLK, Heavenwood, etc.).

Best of luck in your search,

-Thomas