2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

ANOTHER BANDON THREAD . . . . WHICH WEDGES TO TAKE?

bpark1210

I have a trip to Bandon coming up the first week of February. I need some advice on what wedge bounces work best out there and what type of grass seed is planted.

Should I take a 64 wedge or opt for another choice on the long end of my bag?

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feb? In a few weeks Feb?
Take your current set of clubs and enjoy yourself. You know those clubs, no point dicking about with your bag for what will be a fun golf holiday :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Appreciate the input about keeping the bag in my signature but in true ho fashion I have another bag full of clubs and a closet full of 2 backup irons sets. I won't be changing anything out for the J40 DPC or woods but am considering dropping my lob wedge if it doesn't make sense to use there for another long club like a hybrid or another airmuscle.

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1389739196' post='8461107']
Appreciate the input about keeping the bag in my signature but in true ho fashion I have another bag full of clubs and a closet full of 2 backup irons sets. I won't be changing anything out for the J40 DPC or woods but am considering dropping my lob wedge if it doesn't make sense to use there for another long club like a hybrid or another airmuscle.
[/quote]

Sure gotcha. On my two trips I took my regular bag and in 12 or so rounds there I'd only used driver, 17* hybrid, or 4I off the par 4/5 tees.
Definitely no over thinking required. You've got a driver and 19* driving iron. You look set. You never know when you might have an awful bunker shot and want that 64* and you left it at home ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

here are my thoughts (which has worked for me every time at bandon)...

regardless of the time of year you go keep the 64* in the closet.

some people will insist that you need the lowest bounce possible on your wedges - i disagree. if you understand how to utilize/activate your bounce you are home free. in reality the only time you use your wedges is from the bunkers or odd length shots that require getting the ball over a bunker or obstacle. see how well hitting a full shot into head wind, side wind or tail wind works... it doesn't. if the pin is back and down wind i am getting the ball on the ground as fast as i can... if it is into the wind front, middle or back pin i am taking two or three clubs extra and hitting a mid/low shot to the safest part of the green. into the wind the ball will stop.

do you have a club other than driver that you can hit off the tee and keep it low? not all holes require driver.

putt the ball as much as possible (putter/three metal/hybrid).

practice hitting your bstone driver off the deck - i implemented that shot my last two trips and it was awesome on the par 5's into the teeth of the wind.

SWANRY thanks for your reply, that's exactly the advice I was hoping for. More on course knowledge of what situations might come about and why I would need one club over the other.

I had a hard time believing I would need my 64 based on everyone telling me a lot of shots should be played as a bump and run, but hearing that there is bunker trouble and on occasion where I will need to flop it does change my mind.

Driver off the deck is not my forte, I have a my clamshell 4W that is easy to hit stingers with. I also have a back up TS proto Airmuscle with a Tour Concept X1 shaft that stays super low, I might bring it along to switch out w/ the wedge.

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1389744451' post='8461579']
SWANRY thanks for your reply, that's exactly the advice I was hoping for. More on course knowledge of what situations might come about and why I would need one club over the other.

I had a hard time believing I would need my 64 based on everyone telling me a lot of shots should be played as a bump and run, but hearing that there is bunker trouble and on occasion where I will need to flop it does change my mind.

Driver off the deck is not my forte, I have a my clamshell 4W that is easy to hit stingers with. I also have a back up TS proto Airmuscle with a Tour Concept X1 shaft that stays super low, I might bring it along to switch out w/ the wedge.
[/quote]

this is my experience only - but i found myself using my 54* from the bunkers more than my 58*. as mentioned earlier, i did use my 58* but more from shots that absolutely required the ball to get up quick. anything over 50 yards if was into the wind i kept the 58* in the bag.

driver off the deck is not my forte either, but it proved to be a good shot to have. into 30* plus winds you have to find a way to keep the ball LOW. you will find more mid to mid low handicap guys struggle at bandon because they can't figure out how to hit it low... tee shots with a driver are hit hard and fly as far as they can hit a SW at there home course. when it comes to approach shots it is not a typical bump and run where you land the ball off the green by ten yards. depending on the wind you may need to run over half way. a ball that gets on the ground with velocity will roll forever - a ball in the air will get knocked down.

before you go spend a good two weeks or more at the range hitting lower lofted clubs 3/4 swings with attempt to keep it low and keeping the spin off. find out what your tendencies are. many times better players try the shot (they think they can hit it - but don't realize they are required to hit it 75% of all shots) and hook the hell out of it. i know this from my first trip LOL!

You'll use your short irons around the greens much more than wedges. Long putts are required and you can't really practice them anywhere other than the resort because of the difference in turf. That 64 will be just extra weight in your bag like everyone else said, don't bother bringing it. When you go to the practice facility at Bandon Dunes you'll learn quick that these tight firm lies don't leave much room for error on high lofted wedges. Keeping the ball low helps, but low spin is more important. The ballooning ball flight is your worst enemy into the wind. Have fun on your trip

[quote name='mringwelski' timestamp='1389800831' post='8465111']
You'll use your short irons around the greens much more than wedges. Long putts are required and you can't really practice them anywhere other than the resort because of the difference in turf. That 64 will be just extra weight in your bag like everyone else said, don't bother bringing it. When you go to the practice facility at Bandon Dunes you'll learn quick that these tight firm lies don't leave much room for error on high lofted wedges. Keeping the ball low helps, but low spin is more important. The ballooning ball flight is your worst enemy into the wind. Have fun on your trip
[/quote]

perfect...! low spin is extremely important. spin = ballooning = trouble.

Yeah like everyone is saying lower the better. Learn to flight the ball low. If your woods and hybrids are adjustable take them to lowest degree. I am doing that with mine. 8.5 Driver, 13* 3 wood and 17* hybrid for myself.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

I'm in general agreement with the principle of leaving the lob wedge at home and front-loading the bag with clubs that you can play low shots that will run.

However, one factor to that decision is that there are lots of elevated greens; and if your approach shot is short, you'll be faced with a tough pitch up a steep hill from a really tight lie (or, worse, from a nasty bunker). You will need this shot in your bag. If that means the lob wedge, then take it. You'll have this situation more than once, especially on PD, on holes that play into the wind.

That was the glaring weakness in my game during my trip last spring. Bandon has a deliciously cruel ability to expose the weak parts of your game. I've been working on that and will be better equipped to handle that matter this trip.

Yes, I will....

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to take the 64 and an extra 2i airmuscle w/ an X-1 TC shaft. I usually play stiff so the X1 def keeps the ball down low like a stinger shot.

It's been a full month since I last played but I've got access to a range for free at work so I've been hittng balls pretty frequently. I kind of got a good idea of what to expect. I play year round in WA and have been at some tough courses during 30 degree temps and 30 mph winds. I've seen driver's balloon off the tee higher than a normal 7 iron would go and actually start to spin back towards the tee.

I really do appreciate all the feedback on what I can expect on the course. Time to hit the gym and strengthen up the core for walking and put in some serious range time. Thanks again!

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330

Fescue is not my friend. We have White Horse GC up here in Wa, a Dye design and those greens are brutal. I can see why they chose fescue for conditions because it does hold up very well year round. I take a lot of puts like to oscilate off line? I'm gonna have to rethink my putter choice to get some forward roll going on.

Spud3 thanks again for your input!

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330

The greens at Bandon are some of the best I've ever played on, especially the greens on the Preserve. They can be challenging, but will always roll true. Toughest part of them (like the rest of the course) is factoring in the wind and any moisture. A lot of these greens are elevated, like I said, so the wind has a distinct effect.

For you, the grass conditions are probably most like Chambers Bay, which I think is also mostly fescue. The greens on Trails are most like the ones we have here in PDX. Have fun and make sure and post a good trip report! We all love living vicariously through Bandon visitors until we can all get back there...

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1389904454' post='8472937']
Fescue is not my friend. We have White Horse GC up here in Wa, a Dye design and those greens are brutal. I can see why they chose fescue for conditions because it does hold up very well year round. I take a lot of puts like to oscilate off line? I'm gonna have to rethink my putter choice to get some forward roll going on.

[/quote]

bandon's greens roll as true as it gets. you get a green that is bare and downwind and you won't find a faster putt anywhere. i've always putted extremely well - especially after the first round. once you start feeling the pace and trust the lines - you can really knock the back out of the holes. 10 footers are like three footers.

From my experiences at Bandon, I like to keep the ball on the ground from within a hundred yards. Whenever I can, I use a putter or what the group I go with calls a "Bandon wedge". It is just a hybrid or 5 wood type club and hit it like a putter. It will run up to the green on the ground. I have had better luck running it on the ground than trying to hit a wedge into some of the greens. The Bandon wedge takes a little getting used to but the ground is so firm and fast in February that the ball goes for ever. Putt or use a Bandon wedge if you are next to a green and the green is elevated, to get the ball onto the green. I have had many times where I tried a wedge to the top of the hill and it came back down to my feet.

If you do use your wedges, or even iron shots into the holes for that matter, I have found that some of the best shots into the greens are not directly at the hole but to the right or left of the hole and let the ball trickle down to the hole. For example on #4 at Pacific I always aim to the left of the green on the shaved part of the hill and let it trickle left to right down to the hole.

I have played at White Horse and at Chambers Bay, the fescue in Bandon is much tighter and more playable. I have been going in February for the past few years, and unless there is a storm the wind has actually not been too bad.

You are going to love it!

[quote name='Johnny3213' timestamp='1390430321' post='8511697']

If you do use your wedges, or even iron shots into the holes for that matter, I have found that some of the best shots into the greens are not directly at the hole but to the right or left of the hole and let the ball trickle down to the hole. For example on #4 at Pacific I always aim to the left of the green on the shaved part of the hill and let it trickle left to right down to the hole.

[/quote]

I think everyone aims to the left of the green there, lol.
For those of you who don't know, there is a hazard to the right of the green on #4 at Pacific Dunes, called the Pacific Ocean ;)

F.T.

[quote][color=#282828]before you go spend a good two weeks or more at the range hitting lower lofted clubs 3/4 swings with attempt to keep it low and keeping the spin off. find out what your tendencies are. many times better players try the shot (they think they can hit it - but don't realize they are required to hit it 75% of all shots) and hook the hell out of it. i know this from my first trip LOL! [/color][/quote]

[quote][color=#282828]That [sand & up hill wedge shoots] was the glaring weakness in my game during my trip last spring. Bandon has a deliciously cruel ability to expose the weak parts of your game. I've been working on that and will be better equipped to handle that matter this trip.[/color][/quote]

Two of the more true statements about Bandon I've ever seen. I've played BD several times and no matter how hard I try to "prepare" for the courses/conditions, it still beats me. Gotta live there to master it, I think. That said, my best scores were probably my first visit ever when I didn't "think" so much and just had fun (and gaped in awe of the fun and beauty!).

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got back from my trip to Bandon from Feb 3-5th and what an experience. Total shock and awe of the beauty of the place and courses. We lucked out big time, no rain no winds for 3 straight days. Most days started out w/ rain or sea mist but by tee off the clouds opened up and we had blue skies and fluffy white clouds. The only wind we encountered was on our last day at Pacific #4. I lost zero balls at Old Mac, and 1 at Bandon, and 2 at Pac. Some of our players straight killed it at Bandon, a 74 and 77 for low rounds of the day (green tees,1 tee short of the blacks).

I def appreciate everyone's advice on the wedges. I couldn't get myself to put the wedges away until the last day and saw my scoring improve dramatically when I did. Bump and run w/ an 8 iron is the way to go. The fairways are so tight that even the slightest mis hit can cause some pretty bad chunks. I'll post some pics in a new thread once my group of 8 start to compile them altogether.

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1392083432' post='8640905']
Well I got back from my trip to Bandon from Feb 3-5th and what an experience. Total shock and awe of the beauty of the place and courses. We lucked out big time, no rain no winds for 3 straight days. Most days started out w/ rain or sea mist but by tee off the clouds opened up and we had blue skies and fluffy white clouds. The only wind we encountered was on our last day at Pacific #4. I lost zero balls at Old Mac, and 1 at Bandon, and 2 at Pac. Some of our players straight killed it at Bandon, a 74 and 77 for low rounds of the day (green tees,1 tee short of the blacks).

I def appreciate everyone's advice on the wedges. I couldn't get myself to put the wedges away until the last day and saw my scoring improve dramatically when I did. Bump and run w/ an 8 iron is the way to go. The fairways are so tight that even the slightest mis hit can cause some pretty bad chunks. I'll post some pics in a new thread once my group of 8 start to compile them altogether.
[/quote]

I've said it before, but it bears repeating - 3 of the 4 of us last year committed to putting whenever possible, one didn't. The one guy just didn't play as well around the greens the entire trip. The other three of us, on the other hand, were better almost immediately and, by the end of the trip, were feeling very confident playing these shots (and they are the MOST FUN shots you'll play your entire time there).

Question that occurred to me, since I'm exactly 30 days out now from my return trip - has the gorse begun to bloom? When we were there last year (very end of March) it was in (what looked like) full bloom. I'm unfamiliar with how long the bloom lasts, and am hoping it will be in bloom for our trip this year.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. It is such a special place. I've only been there once, but it just feels so much like "golf home".

I was there two weeks after Chris (mid-April), and the gorse was still in full bloom while I was there. Sweet smell everywhere. I know it's an invasive, non-native species, but man it was beautiful.

+1 on the putter anywhere within the same zip code as the green...

[/quote]

Really....WH greens are Fescue?

[quote name='mringwelski' timestamp='1392131309' post='8643813']
did you take a caddie?
[/quote]

No sorry no caddie, one of our group members had played before and didn't feel the need for it. The yardage books came in quite handy too!! Those things are a work of art.

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1392188112' post='8650349']

[/quote]

[/quote]

TMBob,

You got me doubting my quote. Looking at the way the grass grows at WH which essentially flat and growth in all different directions logic would tell me they are fescue. I could be wrong, but remember reading that on their website a couple years ago when they first opened. It makes sense to me to have fescue out there since it is a low maintenance grass and the course is essentially right next to the salty sea air of the Puget Sound. I know that the Clearwater Casino bought them out recently so could be possible the grass has changed.

Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330

I took my standard 50/54/58 wedges and needed them all, but more for approaches than chips. I typically like to bump and run/chip around the greens with my 50 or 54 but used my putter almost exclusively with a few short iron chips. With the lies being so tight, and little confidence in my chipping in the middle of winter, the putter was always the most comfortable choice.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1392317130' post='8660749']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1392188112' post='8650349']

[/quote]

[/quote]

TMBob,

You got me doubting my quote. Looking at the way the grass grows at WH which essentially flat and growth in all different directions logic would tell me they are fescue. I could be wrong, but remember reading that on their website a couple years ago when they first opened. It makes sense to me to have fescue out there since it is a low maintenance grass and the course is essentially right next to the salty sea air of the Puget Sound. I know that the Clearwater Casino bought them out recently so could be possible the grass has changed.
[/quote]

Not to continue the threadjack but WH hasn't been fescue for as long as I've been playing it, I do believe it's poa. The greens don't hold jack there so it's like playing on fescue though.