petercybulskipp

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1389872106' post='8470195']
Just curious as to which other destinations you've visited,
[/quote]

I doubt you'll find it compares with Bandon Dunes, Chris. It hasn't yet become a "golf destination". It's a typical Florida crowd at the golf course ... retired or vacationing couples in their 60's.

It's going through "rotating staff" issues, as it's in the middle of no where and most of the staff live at least 20 miles away, in a less than desirable or fun location. I haven't been there in a couple of months, so the hotel may have opened by now, but not having a accommodations was a problem when they first opened.

If you're not busy this weekend, hop on a SWA flight out of Manchester, I'll pick you up at TPA and we'll play there on Saturday :) (Bring your wallet, Streamsong is [b]not[/b] cheap!)

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1389875464' post='8470333']
Maybe a bit cheaper on a Tuesday afternoon in August, though.
[/quote]

Things got tough there last year and they offered a deal for "Florida Residents" and I think I paid $100 a round instead of $175. Of course, add a caddy on top of that and it's not cheap.

It can certainly be brutally hot and humid in the summer, that's for sure!

Quite honestly, I think they're seriously struggling to attract golfers. They always claim to be busy, but you can show up there anytime, with any # of people and get out pretty quickly. They're backed by serious money, so I don't think they're likely to get into any real financial trouble, but I think the "ramp up" of the resort is going to be slow.

I guess Streamsong is sort of a test case for the question "How popular can a couple of really, really, really fine golf courses be if they aren't within view of a major body of water?". The answer long-term may be pretty darned popular but it's amazing how much of a hurdle that "body of water" thing seems to be in the price bracket they've chosen...

I live in Sarasota, and i've been dying to play these courses. I'm having a hard time finding guys to want to play. When it warms up we should try and get some guys out there, or somewhere in the area.

Ping G400 MAX
Callaway XR 16 Pro 16
Callaway XR 16 Pro 18
Titleist 716 AP2
Titleist Vokey 52 F
Titleist Vokey 58 M
Evnroll ER5
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1389874441' post='8470295']
[/quote]

I doubt you'll find it compares with Bandon Dunes, Chris. It hasn't yet become a "golf destination". It's a typical Florida crowd at the golf course ... retired or vacationing couples in their 60's.

It's going through "rotating staff" issues, as it's in the middle of no where and most of the staff live at least 20 miles away, in a less than desirable or fun location. I haven't been there in a couple of months, so the hotel may have opened by now, but not having a accommodations was a problem when they first opened.

If you're not busy this weekend, hop on a SWA flight out of Manchester, I'll pick you up at TPA and we'll play there on Saturday :) (Bring your wallet, Streamsong is [b]not[/b] cheap!)
[/quote]

I wish I could. I have successfully gotten my wife comfortable with the idea of me taking a golf trip each year. A second one would be a tough sell (especially with two kids in college beginning in September).

I played the Blue Jan 6th and the staff told me they were averaging 60-80 golfers on weekdays and approx. 125-150 on weekends. The hotel is due to open Jan 17th, so that should pick things up nicely. Streamsong is owned by Mosaic, the phosphate mining company who had the mine that the courses sit on. It would have cost them more to do the EPA mandated cleanup than to turn it what it is today. I have not been too many "high line" courses- but this became my favorite of all time. Tom Doak's Blue layout is very playable, and the green complexes are just crazy fun. The course was in great shape, and I highly recommend Greg Lookabill for a caddy. Its a must do if you can, and I'm looking forward to going back next year.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

[quote name='Ocgolfrick' timestamp='1389891871' post='8471653']
I played the Blue Jan 6th and the staff told me they were averaging 60-80 golfers on weekdays and approx. 125-150 on weekends. The hotel is due to open Jan 17th, so that should pick things up nicely. Streamsong is owned by Mosaic, the phosphate mining company who had the mine that the courses sit on. It would have cost them more to do the EPA mandated cleanup than to turn it what it is today. I have not been too many "high line" courses- but this became my favorite of all time. Tom Doak's Blue layout is very playable, and the green complexes are just crazy fun. The course was in great shape, and I highly recommend Greg Lookabill for a caddy. Its a must do if you can, and I'm looking forward to going back next year.
[/quote]

have you seen the hotel prices? they make the golf prices look an outright value-fest. we're heading down in a couple weeks. we aren't cheap, and we are staying there one night, but none of us could justify the hotel cost for spending our other nights there—even with the Stay&Play package. i'll tell ya, those (somewhat) nearby Holiday Inns and Best Westerns must be pretty thankful.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1389893360' post='8471793']
[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1389893145' post='8471769']
. i'll tell ya, those (somewhat) nearby Holiday Inns and Best Westerns must be pretty thankful.
[/quote]

There really aren't any.
[/quote]

i said somewhat nearby. the Best Western in Bowling Green (21 mins away) and the Holiday Inn Express in Bartow (35 mins and on the way from the Tampa airport). it's either that or an extra $400 nightly, per person, just for the room at SS ($644 for one night and 36 holes).

What irks me about Streamsong is the fact that they won't support state golf, i.e. they won't host qualifiers or tournaments, even the state Am. I personally feel that courses should support their state golf association. Just my .02

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

We stayed in Davenport, just southwest of Orlando and made it to Streamsong in an hour and a half. The drive down 27 is super simple, a 6 lane highway with just citrus hauling trucks and Legoland. Once you get to Frostproof- turn right and just keep going to Streamsong. You'll be in nothing but orange groves and mining operations, apparently Mosaic owns most of that Southwest corner of Polk County. We had a 10:25 tee time- we left Davenport at 8 - made it at 9:30- hit the range, rolled some putts, hit out the bunkers, and hiked up the hill to Blue #1 at 10:20. We played in 5 hours, but we were total tourists (photos in front of #7, photos of the area, listening to Greg's stories, etc) Be aware that the wind almost never stops here- dress accordingly. For one round- the drive to Streamsong from Orlando or Tampa really isn't that bad.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

[quote name='golfnhack' timestamp='1389894102' post='8471881']
What irks me about Streamsong is the fact that they won't support state golf, i.e. they won't host qualifiers or tournaments, even the state Am. I personally feel that courses should support their state golf association. Just my .02
[/quote]

They should give up $30,000-$40,000 a day for what reason?

I played Streamsong Red last Saturday and I consider it easily one of the best golf experiences I've had. Yes, it is far off the beaten path, and yes, it is expensive.....but it's worth it.

My caddie told me Saturday that there were 120 guys there that day to go out as caddies. Most are plus handicaps. The kid that shuttled me from the range to the clubhouse is in PGA school. The people there understand golf, and more importantly, they understand customer service. Face it, the people playing there on any given day have money and expect a certain level of service. Streamsong imo does an excellent job meeting those expectations.

I'm sure there are many great caddies there, but I had Nick Saper and he was outstanding. He's caddied at various high-end courses (e.g. Bandon, Chambers Bay).

The Red course is absolutely fantastic and without a single weak hole. I haven't played the Blue, but I look forward to it on my next trip to the Orlando area.

[quote name='petercybulskipp' timestamp='1389921666' post='8474747']
[/quote]
Plenty. It's an opinion...
[/quote]

It's a fair question. I don't think it should be taken as accusatory, as this is all we got:

"The courses are fantastic , especially red."

Those of us interested in playing different courses and golf course architecture might appreciate a deeper review that juxtaposes the Streamsong courses with a course or courses that we might have played and be familiar with :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='BamafaninKY' timestamp='1389910907' post='8473603']

My caddie told me Saturday that there were 120 guys there that day to go out as caddies. Most are plus handicaps.
[/quote]

If that were true, I'd be shocked!

I've played there 3 times, 3 different caddies. I never heard so much bs as I heard from 2 out of 3 of those guys ... blah, blah, blah. You'd think they gave up their Tour careers to caddy for Tiger, but decided being at Streamsong more suited their temperment ... & the there's way more weed in So. FL.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1389921940' post='8474793']
[/quote]
[/quote]

It's a fair question. I don't think it should be taken as accusatory, as this is all we got:

Those of us interested in playing different courses and golf course architecture might appreciate a deeper review that juxtaposes the Streamsong courses with a course or courses that we might have played and be familiar with :)
[/quote]

In which case I'll give you an opinion ... I've been there 3 times.

The Doak course isn't much of a track, in my opinion. You can hit the ball most anywhere. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of a wide open parkland course and it's nothing like a "links" course, as they present the complex to be.

The Crenshaw course is head and shoulders above the Doaks course, in my opinion. MUCH tougher. You need to hit it straight. That said, you also need to know where to hit the ball, in order to have a reasonable shot at the green. It's a quality course in my opinion, but not an "America's Top 100".

As courses in Florida go, it's nothing like anything you'll ever see there. They moved zillions of yards of material to build the course ... it is ENTIRELY man-made. Not they didn't do a good job of making it, but there's nothing "real" about it.

For those of you who don't know the story behind the golf course, the company that "owns" the land, has at least 25,000 acres of a former phosphate mine. Under federal regulation, they are required to "reclaim" the land after mining is complete. They figured out that building a golf course was cheaper than "reclamation". They brought in the Bandon Dunes developers and proceeded to manufacture themselves a golf destination.

If the Greens Fees were $125-$135, I'd say it was a good deal. At $195 or whatever it is now, it's over-priced in my opinion. Again, for people in Florida and much of the south, they are really unusual, neat golf courses. If you've played in Europe, you won't be impressed. Depending on your tastes in golf courses, if you've played many of America's Top 100, you'll like the courses, but understand that they're certainly no Fisher's Island, Oakmont, Merion, Seminole, Pine Valley or a myriad of other courses (most of which I haven't played, of course).

From my frame of reference, living in New England ... the Crenshaw course would probably make the Top 25 in New England, the Doaks course, I don't think so.

[/quote]
[/quote]

The usuals pebble , pine a few in Palm Springs , I'm from UK used to playing wentworth sunningdake now a Bethpage regular
My post was more concerned withe the level of service I received , fare better than the 2 p's mentioned above

[/quote]

Thanks BrianL99
Me and a mate have been on this silly play everything awesome in the US kick the past year and when we're down in Jacksonville playing TPC Sawgrass in March, I've been really tempted to play the two at Streamsong - as I'm flying in/out of MCO and won't be hugely out of the way.

I'm a big C&C fan. Thoroughly enjoyed all their courses I've played to this point. I like Doak's mindset and really enjoyed his book, but besides Pacific and a restored Pasatiempo, I only know of the courses he's done, as opposed to playing them. They've had the crap hyped out of them in the press and it will be interesting to see if they maintain that and more people play them and they get overshadowed quickly next year by the 36 holes in Nova Scotia and then the development in Wisconsin

I get your POV now Peter and ya I reckon some pedestrian munis can easily aspire to better service than Pebble in fairness.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1389922602' post='8474885']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

In which case I'll give you an opinion ... I've been there 3 times.

The Doak course isn't much of a track, in my opinion. You can hit the ball most anywhere. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of a wide open parkland course and it's nothing like a "links" course, as they present the complex to be.

The Crenshaw course is head and shoulders above the Doaks course, in my opinion. MUCH tougher. You need to hit it straight. That said, you also need to know where to hit the ball, in order to have a reasonable shot at the green. It's a quality course in my opinion, but not an "America's Top 100".

As courses in Florida go, it's nothing like anything you'll ever see there. They moved zillions of yards of material to build the course ... it is ENTIRELY man-made. Not they didn't do a good job of making it, but there's nothing "real" about it.

For those of you who don't know the story behind the golf course, the company that "owns" the land, has at least 25,000 acres of a former phosphate mine. Under federal regulation, they are required to "reclaim" the land after mining is complete. They figured out that building a golf course was cheaper than "reclamation". They brought in the Bandon Dunes developers and proceeded to manufacture themselves a golf destination.

If the Greens Fees were $125-$135, I'd say it was a good deal. At $195 or whatever it is now, it's over-priced in my opinion. Again, for people in Florida and much of the south, they are really unusual, neat golf courses. If you've played in Europe, you won't be impressed. Depending on your tastes in golf courses, if you've played many of America's Top 100, you'll like the courses, but understand that they're certainly no Fisher's Island, Oakmont, Merion, Seminole, Pine Valley or a myriad of other courses (most of which I haven't played, of course).

From my frame of reference, living in New England ... the Crenshaw course would probably make the Top 25 in New England, the Doaks course, I don't think so.
[/quote]

Good Lord. You think very highly of your opinions don't you?

The place is fantastic. But thanks for the golf lesson narrative. ;)

It's definitely a polarizing place. It's simply not worth it - I agree with earlier post at 125-150 it would be worth it. But at $195 and $100 bag for a caddy with some drinks and food thrown in you're over $500 for a round. That's simply too much for a place in the middle of no where. Yes the conditions are too notch and whether or not you like the greens they are still really good. Service was good and facilities are really nice. I'm really torn. Part of me wants to rip the place but the other part of me (the one who loves Pelican Hill in SoCal @ $295 a round!) loves the place. I only played the Blue course and quite frankly I enjoyed the round. I don't necessarily need the hardest course on earth for every round I play and the Blue course was like a leisurely walk in the park. Be prepared for a loooong and boring drive from Tampa area. Caddie we had was ok not great but not horrible. It was his second day on the job. I was a little peeved when he said (after we handed $160), "typically we get $100 bag". Really, for what? I pay for good service and I'm willing to pay more for great caddies. I've played Merion, Pine Valley and others in the top 5 and have never given a caddy $100 for a bag. My guess is they are having a hard time attracting and retaining good caddies there so they are telling guests to tip $100/bag.

Reasonable analysis. $100 caddie fee is steep. But it's not something I do regularly, so it wasn't a big deal. If you're looking for a good value, this definitely is not the plain to be.

And damn, I guess I got really lucky on my caddie. Last course I played with a caddie was Pinehurst 2 and the Streamsong caddie was far better.

[quote name='petercybulskipp' timestamp='1389921644' post='8474745']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Odd reply. It was just a question. You've made a comparative statement, but haven't provided any details about what you're comparing Streamsong to.

[quote name='tw422' timestamp='1389928200' post='8475617']

Caddie we had was ok not great but not horrible. It was his second day on the job. I was a little peeved when he said (after we handed $160), "typically we get $100 bag". Really, for what? I pay for good service and I'm willing to pay more for great caddies. I've played Merion, Pine Valley and others in the top 5 and have never given a caddy $100 for a bag. My guess is they are having a hard time attracting and retaining good caddies there so they are telling guests to tip $100/bag.

[/quote]

Almost every post I've read on this site about Streamsong, talks about how wonderful the caddy was and recommends the specific caddy by name. I'll bet that every poster who did that, has never played with a caddy before.

I agree with you, 100%. The caddies are over-paid, just average and I know for a fact they've been having problems with attracting caddies and keeping them there.

[quote name='BamafaninKY' timestamp='1389926420' post='8475385']

Good Lord. You think very highly of your opinions don't you?

The place is fantastic. But thanks for the golf lesson narrative. ;)
[/quote]

I'm a little confused here. Are we condemning folks here on GolfWrx now for providing informative, lengthy posts in response to questions?