2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Bridgestone and Tourstage irons - what's the difference?

pmcuk

I'm familiar with Bridgestone irons - have some individual irons like J40DPC, J40 CB, J36PC. Love the forgings and the feel.

But I'm totally unfamiliar with Tourstage - we don't see them much in the UK.

So how do they compare in terms of forging quality - the same or is there a difference? Are they made in the same factories?

And what would I gain from some of the Tourstage irons like Z101, TS202, MR-23, ViQ, X-blade CB? They look forgiving to me. I'd be after the CB models not the blades.

All experiences and ideas welcome here - this is a big gap in my knowledge of quality forgings.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have good working knowledge of several bridgestone irons j36cb, j38cb, j40dpc and limited knowledge of Tourstage stuff, but ordered used Tourstage x-blade cb's w. Recoil shafts which will arrive tomorrow. I can put up a little review some time if you like.

Tourstage stuff seems to come from the same Endo factories that the Bridgestone stuff comes from. They are designed for the Japanese market. I feel sure the quality will be great..at least as good as Bridgestone. Their stock shafts tend to be lighter, softer, and higher launching.

xbladecbtop.jpg

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1434385544' post='11755112']
I believe Tour Stage is a Bridgestone subsidiary servicing the Japanese market.
[/quote]

yes, and additionally i think the 'tourstage' name is no more. that tourstage will now be known as bridgestone in japan. personally i think they got it backwards, i think bridgestone (in the us anyway) should be known as 'Tourstage'. that conjours up marketing expressions that the other companies seem to effectively bullxxxx consumers with :) monikers like 'Tour Model', 'Tour Preferred', 'Tour Prototype', 'Tour Edition', etc. Given that many dont even associate Bridgestone w. anything more than tires, I think using the Tourstage name would have given their brand some legs

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1434386441' post='11755198']
[/quote]

yes, and additionally i think the 'tourstage' name is no more. that tourstage will now be known as bridgestone in japan.

[/quote]

I kinda like the Bridgestone name. More gravitas.

So this could mean some more irons of different kinds under the Bridgestone name? Maybe more forgiving designs with slightly larger cavities and soles and lighter shafts?

I'm not familiar with the Japanese market. Anyone else know anything? There's some stuff online, e.g. they were using the Tourstage name in 2012 in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ32UeXwvw8

Another Youtube video for the ViQ is from May 2013, and others from September - December 2013. And this from 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0dhPnFk8Ls

Looks like some of the clubs are selling on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/BRIDGESTONE-TOURSTAGE-X-BLADE-FORGED-REGULAR/dp/B007CPIA26/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A11YV4ZBNAD6J1

Bridgestone currently offers J15 Cast as their GI offering and J15 DPC is semi-GI. Both seem to be excellent clubs.

CAST.jpg

reviewj15dpfback.jpg

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I lived in Japan for about 4 years. TourStage was a beautiful club. You would see them on the course quite often but not as much as I expected. I once asked the manager of a retail shop why they weren't more popular. In broken - but perfectly clear English - he said, "Beautiful clubs but hard to hit. Must be good player..."

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

All of the Asian PGA/LPGA players that were sponsored by this company played Tourstage up until last year. They marketed Bridgestone to the U.S. and as others have said......Tourstage was their Japanese market name as it had been for several years. The Asian market has different tastes than ours and forged irons reign supreme in their market. Now everything will come under the Bridgestone name and although the iron offerings from Bridgestone in Japan are currently the same as what they offer us I'm sure the Japanese market will eventually see irons that will not be introduced into the U.S. market under the Bridgestone name.

Not going to bore the forum w. a review comparing Tourstage to Bridgestone since Tourstage is obscure in the US and the name is no more, but suffice it to say I can see why folks would love these irons...they really do have it all going on. I also cant say enough about the Recoil shafts and the Lamkin UTX Grips that came w.these. j40dpc's headed to the Bay. Keeping the j38cb's. all good.

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1434505441' post='11765940']
Not going to bore the forum w. a review comparing Tourstage to Bridgestone since Tourstage is obscure in the US and the name is no more, but suffice it to say I can see why folks would love these irons...they really do have it all going on. I also cant say enough about the Recoil shafts and the Lamkin UTX Grips that came w.these. j40dpc's headed to the Bay. Keeping the j38cb's. all good.
[/quote]

I'm really curious why the J38CBs suited you better than the J40DPCs

What were the factors - performance, forgiveness, feel....?

Those J38CBs are tempting......

It would be interestong to see how many people think Bridgestone is an American company, rather than a company founded in Japan in 1931.

Tourstage was their golf brand name in Asia ( it seems a particularly Japanese rubber company thing - Sumitomo owns Srixon/ Cleveland, Yokohama owns PRGR golf ). Tended towards the better player clubs but also had lines that were more GI and SGI - in the past the designs would be handed down to the Bridgestone brand in the US, along with older golf ball versions... But now they've oddly deciided to ditch the Tourstage name.

I say oddly, because in Asia it was very well known and respected as a golf brand, and in the US you could introduce the Tourstage brand as 'Tourstage by Bridgestone' for a few years and then drop the Bridgestone part. And bridgstone golf clubs are hard to come by in the US whenever i've been over there, so why bother - brand the balls as Tourstage by Bridgstone and gradually improve the brand recognition etc.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

[quote name='Aviador Naval' timestamp='1434404524' post='11757434']
I lived in Japan for about 4 years. TourStage was a beautiful club. You would see them on the course quite often but not as much as I expected. I once asked the manager of a retail shop why they weren't more popular. In broken - but perfectly clear English - he said, "Beautiful clubs but hard to hit. Must be good player..."
[/quote]

I have a couple of TourStage iron sets and they are beautiful but I lost interest in them almost immediately after buying them and trying them out. They simply didn't feel all that different from what I was already using and, as they were so good looking, I decided to preserve them. It comes as a surprise to me that someone would describe them as difficult so I'll bag these and see if he was right.

Is it possible that they were not so common because, even for Japan, they were a bit on the expensive side ?

Shambles

[quote name='pmcuk' timestamp='1434526383' post='11767300']
[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1434505441' post='11765940']
[/quote]

I'm really curious why the J38CBs suited you better than the J40DPCs

What were the factors - performance, forgiveness, feel....?

Those J38CBs are tempting......
[/quote]

performance = the j38's are lower launching and easier to flight down. i;m a high launch high spin player. I can position ball in my stance at a very comfortable location for stock shots

feel = there is something about that magnesium insert in the j38's that give them a special feel (for me)

looks = prefer the smaller headsize in the short irons

[quote name='coops' timestamp='1434531561' post='11767382']
It would be interestong to see how many people think Bridgestone is an American company, rather than a company founded in Japan in 1931.

Tourstage was their golf brand name in Asia ( it seems a particularly Japanese rubber company thing - Sumitomo owns Srixon/ Cleveland, Yokohama owns PRGR golf ). Tended towards the better player clubs but also had lines that were more GI and SGI - in the past the designs would be handed down to the Bridgestone brand in the US, along with older golf ball versions... But now they've oddly deciided to ditch the Tourstage name.

I say oddly, because in Asia it was very well known and respected as a golf brand, and in the US you could introduce the Tourstage brand as 'Tourstage by Bridgestone' for a few years and then drop the Bridgestone part. And bridgstone golf clubs are hard to come by in the US whenever i've been over there, so why bother - brand the balls as Tourstage by Bridgstone and gradually improve the brand recognition etc.
[/quote]

that was my point earlier. Tourstage simply is a name that would attract more customers in the US than Bridgestone. The Tourstage irons I just got are from between 2004-2008 and have a Bridgestone stamping on the hosels. Tourstage;/Bridgestone dual branding is a good idea IMO

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='Shambles' timestamp='1434532738' post='11767410']
[/quote]

I have a couple of TourStage iron sets and they are beautiful but I lost interest in them almost immediately after buying them and trying them out. They simply didn't feel all that different from what I was already using and, as they were so good looking, I decided to preserve them. It comes as a surprise to me that someone would describe them as difficult so I'll bag these and see if he was right.

Is it possible that they were not so common because, even for Japan, they were a bit on the expensive side ?

Shambles
[/quote]

Short answer is I don't know but my recollection is that they were no more expensive than the other JDM OEM offerings. I have no knowledge of marketing or sales figures but my observation was the most played club line was XXiO in a fairly GI head. There was a sizable and fairly even distribution of Srixon, Mizuno, and Tour Stage - both GI and 'player' type heads. There were also a lot of AP2s and Ping cast irons. One of the single biggest overstated issues on here is the reported love affair with forged clubs and disdain for cast. The ratio may be more than the US but it is hardly one-sided. You could count the number of Yuyuri, Miura, Epon, Royal Collection, etc clubs that I saw on one hand after a really nasty chain saw accident.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Tourstage irons are great. But from a marketing standpoint, the TourStage name sounds like a club you would see on an infomercial at 2am.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 60TX
Ping G425 Max 16.5* - Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX 
Srixon ZX UT 2/3/4 - KBS C Taper Lite X
Srixon ZX7 5-P - KBS C Taper Lite X
Titleist SM8 Raw 50/54/58 - TI DG S400
Scotty Cameron 2020 Newport 2 

[quote name='Aviador Naval' timestamp='1434552020' post='11768600']
[quote name='Shambles' timestamp='1434532738' post='11767410']
[/quote]

Shambles
[/quote]

Short answer is I don't know but my recollection is that they were no more expensive than the other JDM OEM offerings. I have no knowledge of marketing or sales figures but my observation was the most played club line was XXiO in a fairly GI head. There was a sizable and fairly even distribution of Srixon, Mizuno, and Tour Stage - both GI and 'player' type heads. There were also a lot of AP2s and Ping cast irons. One of the single biggest overstated issues on here is the reported love affair with forged clubs and disdain for cast. The ratio may be more than the US but it is hardly one-sided. You could count the number of Yuyuri, Miura, Epon, Royal Collection, etc clubs that I saw on one hand after a really nasty chain saw accident.
[/quote]

In that case it's possible that the traditional designs and lines are no longer as attractive to the Japanese market as they used to be, or we are imposing excess expectations of popularity on a design or designs that are attractive to the two of us.

Many brands are boutique productions and these seem to be popping up from many places in the world. I would not be too surprised to see the same models making their appearance in different dress from time to time. It's been happening since long before I even began to know about the game. I doubt it matters much if the Tourstage brand is allowed to die off or is put in storage. The designs will reappear in different make up.

Shambles

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1434386441' post='11755198']
[/quote]

yes, and additionally i think the 'tourstage' name is no more. that tourstage will now be known as bridgestone in japan. personally i think they got it backwards, i think bridgestone (in the us anyway) should be known as 'Tourstage'. that conjours up marketing expressions that the other companies seem to effectively bullxxxx consumers with :) monikers like 'Tour Model', 'Tour Preferred', 'Tour Prototype', 'Tour Edition', etc. Given that many dont even associate Bridgestone w. anything more than tires, I think using the Tourstage name would have given their brand some legs
[/quote]

Excellent point. Would have made more sense to me as well.

Just a quick update. I can see why TourStage kept this basic CB design through several iterations. For those looking for a set of irons that feel as good (or better than) any blades I:ve ever hit (which are many). Great versatile ball flight. Versatile sole grind. VERY square leading edge so ez to precisely line up. Easy enough to RELIABLY flush hit for a good ball striker. No badges or pieces. Meaty feeling with the benefits of a cavity back. Going for a lot less than used ap2's and a far far superior set of irons in my opinion. These are easier to hit well than the ap2 or j40cb, but a bit more demanding than something like the j40dpc.

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75

[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1434733128' post='11786058']
Just a quick update. I can see why TourStage kept this basic CB design through several iterations. For those looking for a set of irons that feel as good (or better than) any blades I:ve ever hit (which are many). Great versatile ball flight. Versatile sole grind. VERY square leading edge so ez to precisely line up. Easy enough to RELIABLY flush hit for a good ball striker. No badges or pieces. Meaty feeling with the benefits of a cavity back. Going for a lot less than used ap2's and a far far superior set of irons in my opinion. These are easier to hit well than the ap2 or j40cb, but a bit more demanding than something like the j40dpc.
[/quote]

Do you have any idea what the bounce is like on Tourstage irons?

[quote name='pmcuk' timestamp='1434738786' post='11786972']
[quote name='T.Beau' timestamp='1434733128' post='11786058']
[/quote]

Do you have any idea what the bounce is like on Tourstage irons?
[/quote]

no man. i;ve no idea and dont think they publish bounce. maybe someone else knows.

i can tell you that these have little to no leading edge relief so the j38 sole grind is a bit better, but the tradeoff is that they dont set up as beautifully. i;ve been putting them in all kinds of conditions and they work great....hardpan, rough, thin lies, side hills, etc. i did manage to stick a couple 6 irons in fluffy lies (i;m a sweeper) so need to be aware of that..or perhaps those were operator error. next time out practicing, i;m gonna give myself a few of those lies and figure it out.

Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
average score = 75