side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

1282930313234»

Comments

• ncp10ncp10  90WRX Points: 24Members Posts: 90 Fairways

The group of about 25 people I play with somewhat regularly, mostly seniors, and lots of gamesmanship from a couple of them. No comments about legality or other for my sudden switch to FO/SS putting. But those first 5-6 rounds I'm sure they wondered what the heck I was doing and why since clearly it was not working at all for me. I think 5-6 3-putts per round was what was happening those first rounds, including missed 3 footers on a regular basis, including short birdie putts. Having dealt w/ the yips previously for me it was nothing special to way underperform in front of an audience, though these guys only knew me as someone who plays right handed but putts left. They got to watch me make the transition to much better putting and it would not surprise me if at some point a few others get intrigued enough to try FO/SS themselves. They become believers quickly when they witness this working for someone as it's hard to argue with success for sure. Putting involves simple yet demanding skills and we see putting wizards regularly on the various tours. I'm not surprised this method has not caught on yet because so many have great success with SO/traditional putting, though as has been pointed out grips and approaches have morphed perhaps in part by natural selection to reduce methods that can make consistent putting more difficult.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hardpan1hardpan1  55WRX Points: 71Handicap: 3/4Members Posts: 55 Bunkers

The last three years, I've played in our north texas PGA Senior tournament using FO...all club pros just trying to get it in the hole :) No one has ever said Anything ...on the practice putting green, that's another story as several have stopped by to try it out...went armlock this year just to get the short putts in, still prefer FO/SS.

Posted:
  • ncp10ncp10  90WRX Points: 24Members Posts: 90 Fairways

Going to left handed putting was the extreme step I had to take to completely get around the yipping action after trying cross handed, claw, belly and even full length models. If you've never truly experienced this you would be hard pressed to describe actually what happens in a classic yip action. Essentially for me what happens is as the putter is on the downswing, immediately just before impact, the power in the stroke stops as if you were going to avoid hitting the ball outright, but then in a fraction of a second power resumes. This is the herky jerky you see if you watch someone with a bad case. I borrowed this description from an article I read years ago and I think it captures the issue very well. It's all completely unintended and nearly unconscious it just happens. I have the yips so bad that even long putts aren't immune. The miracle is I have had no problems w/ finesse chipping, at least no more than the average decent player does which can clearly afflict people w/ putting yips even though the swing action is quite different.

Unfortunately for me my eye dominance made it impossible to see the line well left handed, whereas w/ right handed it was pretty easy to set the putter on my intended line and see indeed it was square to the intended initial path. I could simply rotate my head to see my line and rotate back to see I was correctly aligned, whereas w/ left I had to stand up and get my head erect, ala binocular, and then of course getting back down and looking at the ball caused me to lose anything learned from looking binocularly. It was largely because of this that left handed putting was not ideal for me hence was open to FO putting.

Posted:
  • Colonel_SteelheadColonel_Steelhead O 902WRX Points: 92Handicap: 2HiMembers Posts: 902 Golden Tee

Since this seems like the place for the experts on side saddle/face-on putters, so does anybody have any info on an old Ping 69 BC putter? I found it at a garage sale last summer for $10 and figured the novelty was worth it. Now I don't have the balls to try it on the course yet but I've rolled it around on my little 10 ft. mat and it seems fairly natural to me. Its 50" long (according to the original sticker still on the bottom) and I haven't built up the nerve to change the dried out old Ping Eye grips yet. The research I have done tells me that Ping made 2 of these, one which was a "bent" shaft croquet model which is illegal and apparently very rare, the other a straight shaft which is what mine has. I've always been kind of enamored at the side saddle method and even ran into a guy a few years ago in the wild who putted this way.

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
    Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
    Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
    Titleist Pro V1
  • BigEx44BigEx44  337WRX Points: 92Handicap: 9.2Members Posts: 337 Greens

What information are you looking for on the Ping putter? Whether it would be effective or not as a sidesaddle putter?

Posted:
  • bluedotbluedot  3670WRX Points: 373Handicap: 7.5Members Posts: 3,670 Titanium Tees

I'm not really familiar with the Ping 69 BC putter, but I have seen people putt side saddle with the "hot dog" style Ping long putters quite well. I'm curious about the "croquet" style that you mention; the only reason that I know of that a putter would be non-conforming is if the straight part of the shaft is less than 10* off vertical when the putter is soled. In other works, the shaft could come out of the hosel vertical (many do, in fact), as long as the shaft then bends to at least 80*. The other reason a putter would be non-conforming is if the head design is such that the putter can be used vertically with no change in it's performance. All of those old Ping putters were conforming as far as I know.

For ANY putter that is going to be used side saddle, the two main features that most would consider important are the shaft angle at 80*, rather than the standard 70* +/- lie angle, and less loft than standard, probably less than 2 degrees.

A couple of other thoughts.

1. Assuming that this is a split grip and if you DO decide to change the grips, if you are going to DIY, watch a youtube video on it first; that lower section of the grip can be a bear! You need to tape the shaft all the way from the top down to where the bottom section of the lower grip will be, and use a LOT of solvent; otherwise, that section will get stuck and you will have wasted a grip. If that sounds like I'm speaking from unfortunate experience, you guessed it!
    2. You refer to not having the balls to putt this way on the course yet. It's good that you've got that level of self-awareness about it, because it IS enough of an oddity that you have to overcome the feeling that everybody is watching you, and that every putt is a referendum on the method, etc. It's a better way to putt; I have ZERO doubt about that. But that does NOT mean that it's for everybody; you have to get over some hurdles, and attention from others that you might not want is one of the big ones. You have to embrace and then ignore that, or this method isn't for you. If you DO make the switch, I'd advise you not to go back and forth; just commit let it work. And understand that the only people that will say anything are generally bad putters who are somewhat threatened by what you are doing because it might mean that they could be better if THEY switched. Good players will be curious and want to talk about it, especially if you putt well.

Posted:
    Post edited by bluedot on

Advertisement

And just to add to what bluedot said.....

after a while you'll find you don't even care what other people think.

I've been putting sidesaddle for over 6 years now - and I line up like that's how everyone putts.

Doesn't bother me at all, even if I'm having an off putting day.

Posted:
  • bluedotbluedot  3670WRX Points: 373Handicap: 7.5Members Posts: 3,670 Titanium Tees

Bump.

I don't have a thing to add; I just love this thread so much that I can't bear to see it disappear to the back pages.

Posted:
  • J-TizzleJ-Tizzle Hello  3462WRX Points: 183Members Posts: 3,462 Titanium Tees

Anyone have any great 2 piece grips they just love?

I've been looking for grip options and they sure are limited. I've started just using 2 normal grips and cutting one of them to about 6" long and then drilling a hole in the other one and making my own grips. Tried to use the Dechambeau grips and they were just too heavy and screwed up the feel of the swingweight to me. Just switched from that to an oversize Winn and like it so far.

Edit: I do see that Super Stroke makes a 2 piece grip, but I always kind of hated the ridge down the SS 2-piece grips. But I guess when your options are limited you have to make due.

Posted:
    G410 10.5* - G410 LST 14.5* - F6 18* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Hi Toe 54* & 60* - BG F22

Bobby Grace sells his split grips. I have a couple sitting in my closet, and I badly need to regrip my BG putter; I'm stalling because replacing the lower section is a HUGE pain in the bahoola.

Posted:

I go and have and a club fitter replace my grips. Takes about 5 minutes. Some guys haven't even bothered to charge me. And when they do - it's less than $10. Worth it for me.

So Bluedot, is the Juan Putter still the SS putter of choice?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • sui generissui generis  4385WRX Points: 723Members Posts: 4,385 Titanium Tees

You may already know this, but in addition to tape all the way down and lots and lots of mineral spirits (or whatever you use) heat up that lower part of the grip. I use the microwave or the oven.

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

I have never heard this; I'll give it a try. I'm working in a shed that isn't the warmest place in the world to begin with; this might help. Thanks!

Posted:
  • sui generissui generis  4385WRX Points: 723Members Posts: 4,385 Titanium Tees

I'm sure you've found some grip brands easier to install than others. For me, Winn and Superstroke type grips with a firm underlisting are the toughest. I blast them in 10 second intervals in the microwave until they warm up a bit. With TackiMac and other solid rubber grips, I'll warm up the oven on the lowest setting and then turn it off. I now put the grip in and leave it in there for 10 minutes and it'll be pretty warm, not quite too hot to handle. (No kitchen disasters, yet.) Some guys use their heat gun, too.

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

I have been using those currently. I just like switching grips a ton for whatever reason. But I have 2-3 of those out in the garage.

Posted:
    G410 10.5* - G410 LST 14.5* - F6 18* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Hi Toe 54* & 60* - BG F22

Advertisement
  • rexrohrexroh  466WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 466 Greens

I live in New Zealand. I would love a new Bobby Grace F22 putter but with exchange rate and shipping it would be close to $1000. I have had a BG Vfoil putter that I liked so this is what I have done. I have been face on putting with GP putter for a while now but find the putter too light Also I like a larger head

I obtained a BG Vfoil 7.2 belly putter at a good price. I replaced the shaft with a 45 inch Yes shaft. I then bent the shaft near the head to reduce loft and have the lie near 80 degrees. I am in the process today of adding lead weight to bring the head to close to 500 grams.

I did use this putter yesterday without extra weight and was happy with the results but had to work hard To get the ball to the hole.. I notice most recommend heavier putter.

I have done this so I can use it as a broomstick putter but may (certainly will) try/use it as a SS/FO putter. I suspect if I made these alterations with intent to use as a SS hanging vertical putter it would be illegal.

I look at it this way. The putter is a legal putter. It is legal to reshaft the putter. It is legal to change loft and lie of the putter bearing in mind the 80 degree rule. It is legal to add weight (lead) to a putter. Hence the matter of intent is the possible problem. Am I legal with this putter

As an aside I think it was a Scotty Cameron detour putter (particularly broomstick model) that was deemed illegal because when held upright the toe end of the sole was flat. I just missed out on getting one of these but it was withdrawn from sale when pointed out as an illegal putter

Posted:
  • rexrohrexroh  466WRX Points: 91Members Posts: 466 Greens

I have one of those from 20 plus years back. One of the early broomstick putters. The head is very light and the shaft felt light as well. I did use it for a while but I soon added better models. The B90 was better weighted and better shaft but not very forgiving either. It was an improvement but not for FF putting. You can try with it to see if you like the set and wish to continue down this track.

Posted:

I have ordered one of the Bomar Putting Company putters, so I'll be able to give a review on that once it arrives. Just another side saddle specific option! Little anxious about the weight when I'm so used to the F22 being a sledgehammer, but I wanted something with a bit of a smaller footprint, so thought this was a good option to try out.

I'll keep the group updated when it arrives (and the snow melts here in Missouri).

Posted:
  • marmadukmarmaduk  250WRX Points: 174Members Posts: 250 Greens

Right on! I’m glad you bought this because I’m very interested in knowing what you think. I have been heavily considering purchasing this putter because I really like the way it looks. There are some interesting aspects that have me on the fence. Only three length options. 78° Lie instead of 80. I believe it comes with a normal sized grip as all of the video and photos show them gripping the steel with the bottom hand. At just under 400 US$ I’m not sure.

Posted:
    WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
    http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.

Yeah I plan to fiddle with it some for sure right out of the gate. I'm thinking the lie angle might not make as big of a difference because the head looks smaller than the F22 so getting it straight up might not be a big deal. The lengths were kind of weird, but since I was going to regrip it anyways, I just ordered the 48" and I'll cut it down.

I do have a couple of grips I'll throw on it to try once it arrives (I won't grip the steel, personal thing) and some tungsten tape to fiddle with the weight. The price is a bit steep, but honestly, it looks like the STX putter that was utilized by whats his name in California, so I figure why not. Good thing this is counting as my birthday present from the wife.

Posted:

Advertisement

Oh also, I just noticed, Winn seems to have reintroduced their 2 piece grips. So time to stock up.

Posted:
  • brentflogbrentflog  90WRX Points: 41Handicap: 5Members Posts: 90 Fairways

You could always throw some lead or tungsten powder down the shaft and cork it to get the weight up.

Posted:

I've done that before on short putters, just makes the shaft feel heavy to me and not the head. However, on a longer putter, that might not be the case since the center of balance would be different. Might be something to consider for sure!

Posted:

I had that done for a Directed Force putter I used sidesaddle. Was able to get the head above 500g which is what I like weight wise. Felt ok to me. I ended up having an issue with the slight forward press of their shaft.

Posted:

I'll have to do some more research on how to do it the best way, its been ages since I did that to a putter. But I've exclusively used the F22 for a couple of years now, so I'd expect I'll want to get the weight up since that thing is a sledgehammer.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • kenstlkenstl  435WRX Points: 65Handicap: 7Members Posts: 435 Greens

You'll love it. Best sidesaddle putter I've ever had (and I've tried them all!!)
    So much so, that's it's the first putter ever that I've used for 3 consecutive years (and counting).
    I love it so much I bought another as a "backup" in case they ever went out of production!

I still tend to go back and forth between face on and standard putting. I can't explain it other than to say I just don't seem to have a great "feel" on the line when lining putts like I do with traditional. I am going to try a directed force putter just for the heck of hit. I put my F22 on Ebay, but should probably just take it off and keep it for future drift back to face on lol....

Posted:
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Wishon 929 4 wood
    SL Sterling Irons 5-LW
    Evnroll Arm Lock Putter

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.