2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tour Burner TP vs Tour Burner

Funkey

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realy the extra 200 bucks is going on a top spec shaft in the TP (xcon, rombax, whiteboard)rather than the pretty shoddy TM shaft in the tour burner so i would say its worth the extra money. Also you will get a more open set up with the TP model which again i would prefer.

Is the whiteboard in the TP a legit whiteboard, or is a 'special' whiteboard made for TaylorMade?

the tour burner tp is a lower launching, lower spinning head than the regular tour burner, plus the tp version has a 2 degree open clubface, while the regular tour burner is supposed to be square, although it looks closed to most.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

the tour burner tp is a lower launching, lower spinning head than the regular tour burner, plus the tp version has a 2 degree open clubface, while the regular tour burner is supposed to be square, although it looks closed to most.

Right...they are similar head but the CG is different on the TBTP than it is on the std. Tour Burner. The TBTP head is a slightly lower-launch and lower-spin head and the face angle is open.

Right...they are similar head but the CG is different on the TBTP than it is on the std. Tour Burner. The TBTP head is a slightly lower-launch and lower-spin head and the face angle is open.

It may be difficult to quantify due to being user specific, but generally, how much lower spinning is the TP than the regular version (assuming similar shafts).

It may be difficult to quantify due to being user specific, but generally, how much lower spinning is the TP than the regular version (assuming similar shafts).

From my experience, at high swing-speeds, the difference can be quite SIGNIFICANT. The std. Tour Burner is NOT a high-spinning head by any means. But, with the standard shaft, I have seen data that shows easily 400 RPMs difference or MORE.

TaylorMade also considers the TBTP to be a mid-launch, low-spin driver while the std. Tour Burner is considered to be a mid/high-launch and low/mid-spin driver.

Taylor is now offering the UST V2 65g shaft in the non-tp version. I got one through my local TM rep. Save the $200 and get this one

There's quite a difference between a $60 UST V2 shaft and the $250 Diamana and X-Con that are standard offerings on the TBTP. I'm not saying that the V2 is not a good shaft, but it's by no means a high-end or premium shaft.

The heads are also different, similar but different. The TP is a mid-launch, low-spin head while the non-TP is a mid/high-launch, low/mid-spin head.

The $250 difference is worth it to some people who are trying to get the spin as low as possible. Plus....it looks so much better. :clapping:

To the original poster.

Both are excellent drivers. The critical issue is your swing consistency, swingspeed and what level of golf you play to. IMO The TP is worth considering if you are low single digit or better. The TP is designed for Tour Players. The standard Tour burner is designed for the average golfer(99.99 percent of the golfing population).

I have hit both and purchased the regular Tour Burner 10.5 with the stock stiff shaft. The face, to me, looks square. It wants to go straight and have found it difficult to hit left, if anything I get a slight fade with it. For me it is a good anti-left club, even though it has a slight draw bias.

I have no complaints about the stock shaft: I have found it to be consistent and stable. Bottom line: it is not as bad as some people make out. You also have the option to upgrade the shaft(for marginal cost to aldila, graphite design etc) without spending a fortune.

Obviously the build and quality control of the TP shafts are at a higher level than the stock shaft and will be relatively more stable and consistent.

The TP has an open face and slight fade bias which, as the majority of golfers struggle with a slice, will accentuate their problem.

In conclusion: try them both and see what works for you best. The regular Tour Burner is more forgiving, cheaper and suits more golfers in comparison to the TP.

I agree 100%...a few days ago I posted a review (high handicapper's assessment) after an extensive range session with the Tour Burner, 2007 Burner, and 2007 Burner TP, all reg shafts, 9.5. It is a fine looking club, far less hooks, and it's equal in length to the TM Burner TP. Nevertheless, I returned the Tour Burner to Roger Dunns...I could not justify the $320 simply based on a tighter shot dispersion and a yard or so gain. Then to my surprise, I found another Roger Dunn Tour Burner marked down to $290 (Reg flex), but the shaft had been removed/replaced (not by TM)...so I bought it and e-mailed TM about the warranty. If the warranty is a bust, I'll return it or barter with Roger Dunn for a much better price.

If you are in Oahu and interested in saving $ on Tour Burner Drivers, visit Roger Dunns in their Pearl City Store--Stiff, 9.5 for $349 and a Reg, not sure about the price, but it's probably marked down $50-70...these clubs look new.

Cheers

Slightly off top of comparing the Tour Burner to the Burner TP....

I compared the Burner TP with the Tour Burner TP

The Biggest differerence between the Burner TP and the Tour Burner TP is not necessarily the head....but the low spin shaft choiced they put in.

I dropped in an Ozik F7M2 LTD in my Burner TP and also the same shaft in a Tour Burner TP and they perform almost identically.... so for me this concludes the difference from past years to this new TM driver is the shaft..... not necessarily the head.

Personally, I like the look of the Burner TP... and am not very fond of the look of the new Tour Burner.... so I'm very glad my testing proved the shaft is the biggest difference.

Taylor is now offering the UST V2 65g shaft in the non-tp version. I got one through my local TM rep. Save the $200 and get this one

There's quite a difference between a $60 UST V2 shaft and the $250 Diamana and X-Con that are standard offerings on the TBTP. I'm not saying that the V2 is not a good shaft, but it's by no means a high-end or premium shaft.

Yeah, just tell that to Adam Scott, DLIII and Steve Stricker. I'm sure that they find th V2 to be just a good shaft as well. ;) :good:

C'mon now... the V2 is a GREAT shaft... but that's just my $0.02.

I hit the Tour Burner and hated it. I currently hit the 2007 Burner TP and love it. Spoke with a friend of mine who works at a golf shop and he says the Tour Burner TP is the SHIZNIT! He doesn't change clubs nearly as much as I do (few do). But as has been mentioned, the main difference is the shaft. And apparently, the shaft gives the new TP a huge advantage. And yes, I'm getting one next week. ;)

Yeah, just tell that to Adam Scott, DLIII and Steve Stricker. I'm sure that they find th V2 to be just a good shaft as well. ;) :good:

Just because there are pros who still use/like it doesn't make it a premium shaft. LOTS of pros still use the Grafalloy Blue and Blue Pro-Launch but they're by no means premium shafts. The V2 is a good/great shaft but it's not a premium or high-end shaft no matter how you slice it.

What constitutes a premium shaft, money spent or performance gained? If Stricker, Love and Scott use the V2, then I'd say that is a pretty PREMIUM endorsement. Those $300 shafts in the TP model may not perform nearly as well for your average golfer as the stock shaft or a "cheap" V2.

Ask UST if the V2 is considered to be one of their "premium" lines. I'm pretty sure that they'll say that the Accra is their premium line and the V2, while a good/great shaft, would not be. Accra's are only $150-175 so your "$300" claim is not valid either. It's about materials used and higher quality control. I didn't say that the "$300 shafts in the TP model" will perform as well as the V2 for your average golfer. I said that SOME people will find benefits by getting the TP model with a high-end shaft and paying the extra $200. Everyone seems to be hung-up on the word premium so let's eliminate that and call them "high-end".

Some golfers will not get as good of results with the V2 as they will with the Diamana. I didn't and have the TrackMan data to PROVE it. The launch was noticeablly higher and the spin increased with the V2. Maybe you did/will have better results with the V2 than any of the "$300 shafts in the TP model". Good for you.

Understand ALSO that the regular Tour Burner head is not exactly the same head as the TP. You can tell me that it is but, unless you work for TM research and development and designed the Tour Burner, you're only going by what you've heard. The head itself, as I understand it, has a different CG in the regular than in the TP.

What constitutes a premium shaft, money spent or performance gained? If Stricker, Love and Scott use the V2, then I'd say that is a pretty PREMIUM endorsement. Those $300 shafts in the TP model may not perform nearly as well for your average golfer as the stock shaft or a "cheap" V2.

Where did I say that the TP model would perform better for you AVERAGE golfer than a standard Tour Burner with a V2?

The $250 difference is worth it to some people who are trying to get the spin as low as possible. Plus....it looks so much better. ;)

Some people will not get the same great performance from the V2 as the Diamana. Are you really arguing that statement?

Adam Scott also uses the ProV1 ball but I need the ProV1X because the regular ProV1 spins too much for me. It works for him but NOT for me or some others, just like the V2.

What made you feel I was quoting you? I asked a question and made a couple of general observations to be debated by the members participating in the thread. Nothing personal.

That's my mistake. I hope there are no hard feelings. I feel like I'm always defending the TBTP, whether it's in the WRXshop thread about the Diamana in it being fake or this one because many on here insist that the heads of the Tour Burner and TBTP are the same. I'm just trying to pass along my first-hand knowledge about the club because I think that all the rumors are going to stop some people from trying it.

There are definitely some golfers who will benefit much more from the regular Tour Burner than the TBTP. In the same regards, there are definitely some golfers who will benefit much more from the V2 than the Diamana. But for high-swingspeed, high-spin players like myself, there is much more benefit from the TBTP with the Diamana than the regular Tour Burner with the V2. Those that aren't like me are much luckier as they get better results with some of the less expensive shafts. ;)

That response wasn't meant as much for you as it was for the poster of the 1st quote where he mentioned DLIII, Stricker, and Adam Scott. He implied that I was slamming the V2 when the V2 is GREAT....just not for me.

Again, my apologies. :good:

also, those pros mentioned are probably using the ust tour V2 shafts, which are actually on the expensive end, so it's kinda pointless to compare the retail V2 and the ust tour one to the diamana shafts that come with the TBTP, since the ust tour V2's are quite different even from their regular retail counterparts.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

Well, after posting I love the TP but would wait for them to come down in price last week, I have since snapped my current driver just above the hosel. This was a sign from the golfing gods to go ahead and invest in my game. So, using some credit and a demo day discount, I'm in with the TP 9.5, Whiteboard S shaft.

Lots of debate on this and other threads/forums but preference is totally subjective and I personally like the open setup of the TP. Can't wait to get it and stop hitting my 3 wood off the tees!

Correct. What folks don't realize, it that regrdless of where the shaft is actually made (i.e. china, mexico), if the Shaft company is foreign (i.e. Fujikura, Mitsubishi, etc), there is additional import tariffs that UST and Aldila don't pay. Your 200 Diamana would actually be more like an 80 to 100 shaft if the company was in the U.S. or at least had an actual U.S. division.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos