Cleveland Junior Spec Wedges

Kcct82 ·  
Kcct82Kcct82  246WRX Points: 150Members Posts: 246 Fairways
Hi everyone, new to the forum. Just want to know if anyone has used the Cleveland junior spec wedges for their kids. I’ve heard US Kids TS3’s and Flynn’s are great, but would like to know more about the Cleveland’s, thanks!

Keith
Posted:

Comments

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower  1141WRX Points: 529Members Posts: 1,141 Platinum Tees
    A couple of pages of junior wedge discussion here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1483500-junior-wedges/
    Posted:

-- Just tap it in. Just tap it in. Give it a little tappy tap tap taparoo. --

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Tannerbug33Tannerbug33  152WRX Points: 71Members Posts: 152 Fairways
    My son is almost 11. We went with the RTX4. The weight is the same and the KBS jr shafts in them. He is swinging them good. Good contact likes the fill. We are happy
    Posted:
  • Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19  455WRX Points: 169Members Posts: 455 Greens
    I bought one of the junior wedges for my daughter and she struggled with it because of the weight. I ended up selling it to my nephew and he loves it. For my daughter I got the Cleveland ladies wedges (graphite shafts) and she really likes them. So I would say the junior wedges are fine but just check the weight of them and make sure that your child can handle them.
    Posted:
  • Kcct82Kcct82  246WRX Points: 150Members Posts: 246 Fairways
    Thanks guys for the inputs. Just trying to do some homework for the future, my son is probably too young at the moment.
    Posted:
  • Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19  455WRX Points: 169Members Posts: 455 Greens
    Look at the Cleveland ladies wedges for him. They have the graphite shafts and the overall head weight is lower being a ladies club.
    Posted:
    This article is what got me thinking about the Cleveland wedges:

https://www.coloradoavidgolfer.com/cleveland-launches-junior-spec-wedges-time-christmas/

Brian Schielke, Marketing Director at Cleveland Golf was quoted.

“The heads are actually the same weight as those on our standard wedges... After studying different head weights, we found that if you make them too light, you lose momentum into the golf ball and the clubhead becomes less stable. An extreme example would be hitting a real ball with a plastic club—the ball wouldn’t go anywhere. The lightweight shafts, grips, and shorter lengths make these easy to swing for Junior golfers, but keeping weight in the head provides the right dynamics at impact.”

What got me confused was the age and height part from the article.

“Three models are available – the RTX-3, CBX, and Smart Sole 3. Each comes in three lofts (52˚, 56˚, and 60˚) and is targeted at three age ranges or heights—eight- and nine-year-olds (or 50″-53″) with the 60˚ club measuring 28.5″; ten- and 11-year-olds (54″-60″) with the 60˚ club measuring 31.5″; and 12- and 13-year-olds (61″-63″) with the 60˚ club measuring 34.5″.

I was excited to see that they make wedges for juniors, but as much as I want them for my kid, 8 years old and 50” tall just sounds way too young for wedges of standard weight. What do you guys think? Thanks

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026  1637WRX Points: 940Handicap: A BillionMembers Posts: 1,637 Platinum Tees
    Kcct82 wrote:

https://www.colorado...time-christmas/

"The heads are actually the same weight as those on our standard wedges... After studying different head weights, we found that if you make them too light, you lose momentum into the golf ball and the clubhead becomes less stable. An extreme example would be hitting a real ball with a plastic club—the ball wouldn't go anywhere. The lightweight shafts, grips, and shorter lengths make these easy to swing for Junior golfers, but keeping weight in the head provides the right dynamics at impact."

"Three models are available – the RTX-3, CBX, and Smart Sole 3. Each comes in three lofts (52˚, 56˚, and 60˚) and is targeted at three age ranges or heights—eight- and nine-year-olds (or 50″-53″) with the 60˚ club measuring 28.5″; ten- and 11-year-olds (54″-60″) with the 60˚ club measuring 31.5″; and 12- and 13-year-olds (61″-63″) with the 60˚ club measuring 34.5″.

I was excited to see that they make wedges for juniors, but as much as I want them for my kid, 8 years old and 50" tall just sounds way too young for wedges of standard weight. What do you guys think? Thanks

At 8 my son had used US Kids and Flynn Golf wedges. I think around nine he switched to Vokeys. Remembering back the US Kids wedges had some really good bite so if you're looking for a light alternative with good performance maybe try those out.
    Posted:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower  1141WRX Points: 529Members Posts: 1,141 Platinum Tees
    Kcct82 wrote:

https://www.colorado...time-christmas/

"The heads are actually the same weight as those on our standard wedges... After studying different head weights, we found that if you make them too light, you lose momentum into the golf ball and the clubhead becomes less stable. An extreme example would be hitting a real ball with a plastic club—the ball wouldn't go anywhere. The lightweight shafts, grips, and shorter lengths make these easy to swing for Junior golfers, but keeping weight in the head provides the right dynamics at impact."

"Three models are available – the RTX-3, CBX, and Smart Sole 3. Each comes in three lofts (52˚, 56˚, and 60˚) and is targeted at three age ranges or heights—eight- and nine-year-olds (or 50″-53″) with the 60˚ club measuring 28.5″; ten- and 11-year-olds (54″-60″) with the 60˚ club measuring 31.5″; and 12- and 13-year-olds (61″-63″) with the 60˚ club measuring 34.5″.

I was excited to see that they make wedges for juniors, but as much as I want them for my kid, 8 years old and 50" tall just sounds way too young for wedges of standard weight. What do you guys think? Thanks

My 8YO at 52" tall plays USKG Tour Series 51" wedges at Gap (52*) and SW (56*). They work fine. We don't have the L (60*) USKG wedge. When we practicing chipping, I make him chip with a 7-iron half the time.

We'll probably consider getting non-USKG wedges when he moves up to the Tour Series 54" set and probably just the L wedge. I'll either buy something used or put him in a Hogan Equalizer.
    Posted:

-- Just tap it in. Just tap it in. Give it a little tappy tap tap taparoo. --

Thanks for the info. We’re still going through the UL 48 set right now. I think I’ll just get the US kids TS3 51” next then. Everybody seems to say they’re good!
    Posted:
  • BertGABertGA  360WRX Points: 125Members Posts: 360 Greens

On -, @Golfingdawg19 said:

I bought one of the junior wedges for my daughter and she struggled with it because of the weight. I ended up selling it to my nephew and he loves it. For my daughter I got the Cleveland ladies wedges (graphite shafts) and she really likes them. So I would say the junior wedges are fine but just check the weight of them and make sure that your child can handle them.

Updating my daughter’s clubs with her recent growth. She had a mix of Flynn and USKG wedges, sized to about 57”. Shafts were too flexible, and I thought the overall club weight was off. I don’t know much about club building, but it seemed the ratio of the club head weight to the shaft weight left it feeling too much like a pendulum.

Found a great deal on eBay for Ladies RTX 3, 56 and 60 for just over $100. Ended up taking off I think 1” from the shaft to get it down to approx 60” length. She loves them. Better control, easier to hold on to the wrist set through delivery, and boy does that ball check. We are very happy.

Posted:
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11  541WRX Points: 363Handicap: 8Members Posts: 541 Golden Tee

On -, @BertGA said:

On -, @Golfingdawg19 said:

Updating my daughter’s clubs with her recent growth. She had a mix of Flynn and USKG wedges, sized to about 57”. Shafts were too flexible, and I thought the overall club weight was off. I don’t know much about club building, but it seemed the ratio of the club head weight to the shaft weight left it feeling too much like a pendulum.

Found a great deal on eBay for Ladies RTX 3, 56 and 60 for just over $100. Ended up taking off I think 1” from the shaft to get it down to approx 60” length. She loves them. Better control, easier to hold on to the wrist set through delivery, and boy does that ball check. We are very happy.

I just picked up the RTX-3 CB in 50, 54, 58 for my son's 60" set he will be going into in the fall. Did exactly what you did and chopped off basically an inch. He messed around with them the other day and the spin comparison is ridiculous as opposed to the USKids wedges. (In fairness his USKids SW is about at the end of its life but still). Side note to everyone you can get the RTX-3 CB for a steal right now on several of the websites and you will not regret it.

Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.