Help with driver shaft

TryAgainPls ·  
TryAgainPlsTryAgainPls Members  44WRX Points: 23Posts: 44 Bunkers

Torn between EvenFlow Black, Atmos black TS, and Tensei pro white. Swing speed is 118-121, somewhat quick tempo with a controlled but what most would call an aggressive transition. Tend to play a high push draw that launches around the 16-17* range and I tend to spin the ball too much. I’m fine with my launch if I can bump the spin down.

This probably doesn’t help but I play the tiX100 in my irons and driving iron and I love that feel. It’s smooth but really.... loaded? And stable.

Posted:

Comments

• enfuegoenfuego Members  106WRX Points: 53Posts: 106 Fairways

Even flow black or even white t1100 (roughly are price on the bay) will have the most feel of loading and butt softness. Then probably atmos and then Tensei pro white but I haven't hit those much recently after I found the even flow. I haven't hit x100 but I love modus 120 which has a smooth and loaded feeling also

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers  712WRX Points: 901Handicap: My tolerance for stupidity.Posts: 712 Golden Tee

I play the DG X100 TI in my irons, also. I tried each of the shafts you mentioned for my driver (among others), but I decided on the ATMOS Black TS. For my money, it gave me the best overall feel and it fits right in with the rest of my set. Of course, YMMV, but I'd start with the ATMOS Black TS if I were in your situation.

Posted:

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone 9* w/ Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7X
    3-Wood: TaylorMade M5 15* w/ Oban Devotion 8 O5
    Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5
    4i - 9i: NLG 902 w/ DG TI X100
    Wedges: Jaws MD5 46/10S, 50/10S, 54/8C, 58/8W, all w/ DG TI S400
    Putter: Lajosi Custom DD201WB w/ Stability Shaft

• TryAgainPlsTryAgainPls Members  44WRX Points: 23Posts: 44 Bunkers

On -, @Philomathesq said:

I play the DG X100 TI in my irons, also. I tried each of the shafts you mentioned for my driver (among others), but I decided on the ATMOS Black TS. For my money, it gave me the best overall feel and it fits right in with the rest of my set. Of course, YMMV, but I'd start with the ATMOS Black TS if I were in your situation.

I keep hearing about the Atmos line not being as premium as Fujikura markets it. That’s the only hesitation I have with it. Do you know anything about it? It seems like they get a ton of tour play.

Posted:
  • FredCouplesFanFredCouplesFan Members  140WRX Points: 103Posts: 140 Fairways

On -, @TryAgainPls said:

On -, @Philomathesq said:

I keep hearing about the Atmos line not being as premium as Fujikura markets it. That’s the only hesitation I have with it. Do you know anything about it? It seems like they get a ton of tour play.

The Atmos was the flagship line before the new Ventus was released. It is a very high quality shaft.

Posted:
  • PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers  712WRX Points: 901Handicap: My tolerance for stupidity.Posts: 712 Golden Tee

On -, @TryAgainPls said:

I don't care about what is premium or, honestly, what that even means; I'd play a Wal-Mart brand shaft if it felt the best and worked. What I can say is that I love my Atmos shaft and the pro I take my lessons with (who has played in multiple Tour events over the years and is on staff with TaylorMade) loves it, too.

Posted:

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone 9* w/ Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7X
    3-Wood: TaylorMade M5 15* w/ Oban Devotion 8 O5
    Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5
    4i - 9i: NLG 902 w/ DG TI X100
    Wedges: Jaws MD5 46/10S, 50/10S, 54/8C, 58/8W, all w/ DG TI S400
    Putter: Lajosi Custom DD201WB w/ Stability Shaft

• TryAgainPlsTryAgainPls Members  44WRX Points: 23Posts: 44 Bunkers

Would Ventus be similar to the Atmos Black or is it more similar to the Blue?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  3261WRX Points: 1,385Handicap: 1.7Posts: 3,261 Titanium Tees

If you want to maintain your launch and lower your spin then strike point is what needs to change. A shaft CAN help with this but more likely it needs to be a slight swing or setup tweak. 16-17* of launch is VERY high for your swing speed, the only hope of maintaining that with lower spin is moving strike point up on the face. I would worry about that first before messing with shafts.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX ||  Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage DC 80TX || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 100XTS || Srixon Z U65 Utility 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  10645WRX Points: 1,659Posts: 10,645 Titanium Tees

On -, @Valtiel said:

If you want to maintain your launch and lower your spin then strike point is what needs to change. A shaft CAN help with this but more likely it needs to be a slight swing or setup tweak. 16-17* of launch is VERY high for your swing speed, the only hope of maintaining that with lower spin is moving strike point up on the face. I would worry about that first before messing with shafts.

a player with a club speed in this area, and a launch angle that high, AND spin problems is most likely flipping it trough impact, adding lots of dynamic loft and spin (with a dead center strike), so we should have seen more datas from a LM report AND where he makes impact on the face.
    If he moves impact higher, who will cut off spin, even with flipping hands, his launch will most likely be way to high, and ball compression to low to get the ball speed needed for distance, but we dont even know what his spin level is, neither his ball speed and PTR value, and if that spin level is rather constant or not, so its all guesswork, but for me this sounds like flipping hands.

For a LOW club speed player (80 mph) we can expect to see a factor of 0.87-0.89 from Dynamic loft to launch angle, while for a player close to 120 mph, that factor should be down against 0.80 somewhere (higher ball compression)

16 launch / 0.80 = 20* as Dynamic loft, and its very hard to get there without flipping hands trough impact, so thats what i think this is, based on the few parameters we got.

Posted:

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

• ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  3261WRX Points: 1,385Handicap: 1.7Posts: 3,261 Titanium Tees

On -, @Howard Jones said:

On -, @Valtiel said:

a player with a club speed in this area, and a launch angle that high, AND spin problems is most likely flipping it trough impact, adding lots of dynamic loft and spin (with a dead center strike), so we should have seen more datas from a LM report AND where he makes impact on the face.
    If he moves impact higher, who will cut off spin, even with flipping hands, his launch will most likely be way to high, and ball compression to low to get the ball speed needed for distance, but we dont even know what his spin level is, neither his ball speed and PTR value, and if that spin level is rather constant or not, so its all guesswork, but for me this sounds like flipping hands.

For a LOW club speed player (80 mph) we can expect to see a factor of 0.87-0.89 from Dynamic loft to launch angle, while for a player close to 120 mph, that factor should be down against 0.80 somewhere (higher ball compression)

16 launch / 0.80 = 20* as Dynamic loft, and its very hard to get there without flipping hands trough impact, so thats what i think this is, based on the few parameters we got.

Yeah that is a good point. Dynamic loft, spin rate, and smash factor would be good things to have here.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX ||  Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage DC 80TX || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 100XTS || Srixon Z U65 Utility 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

WITB Thread

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.