US Virgin Islands

Mullenboy ·  
MullenboyMullenboy Members  10WRX Points: 9Posts: 10 Bunkers

OK this is an odd shot in the dark but... can't hurt to ask.

I am going with my family to St. Thomas - US Virgin Islands - in July. We'll be there 7-8 days.

There is not a single golf course on St. Thomas. There WAS one - Mahogany Run - that looked very cool in pictures, but it was destroyed by hurricane and has never been rebuilt. There was another called Herman Moore but it apparently has been allowed to go to seed.

There are apparently three golf courses on St. Croix:

• Buccaneer GC
  • Carambola GC
  • The Reef GC

None of them look that great in internet pictures, nor can I find very many positive reviews.

The ferry takes 2hrs 20 minutes from St. Thomas to St. Croix.

SO.... my stance right now is that this will be a purely non-golf trip, and my wife is thinking I'm a family man hero for this.

Thus the question: do I bring her back into my golf-addicted reality and give up my hero status for a day spent playing golf on St. Croix? Are any of these courses worth that price?

Posted:

Answers

• DancinDancin Members  370WRX Points: 116Handicap: 8Posts: 370 Greens

I'm a golfing nut, but I wouldn't event think about taking a 2 hour and 20 minute ferry just to play golf on an old RTJ sr course that was only 4 stars Golf Digest a long time ago.

Enjoy St. Thomas. Not worth doing that at any price.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jeff1727jeff1727 Members  221WRX Points: 68Handicap: 14Posts: 221 Fairways

I’ve stayed at the Buccaneer and played the course. Not worth a 10 min ferry ride in my opinion. I would not waste your time heading to St. Croix

Posted:
  • CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiMembers  957WRX Points: 243Handicap: 9.3Posts: 957 Golden Tee

As hard as this is for me to say (and I too have only looked at the courses on St Croix and never made the trip over to play them) skip golf, take the hero points, order fruity drinks on the beach and hang with your fam.

Just think how awesome of a golf place you can pick next year for vacation with all those hero husband/dad points your about to get!

Posted:
    Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • GolfCstyGolfCsty Members  30WRX Points: 26Posts: 30 Bunkers

I’ve been to the USVI quite a bit It’s not a golf destination and definitely not worth burning a whole day and hero status.

Posted:
  • MullenboyMullenboy Members  10WRX Points: 9Posts: 10 Bunkers

Thanks guys - great answers - hero status it is. :)

Posted:
  • mycalemycale Members  34WRX Points: 91Posts: 34 Bunkers

Ferry schedule back and forth probably precludes a round of golf anyway unless you plan on staying a night on St. Croix.

I am a golf nut, but... you turn me loose in the USVI and the last thing on my mind is golf.

Spend a day (or three) over on St. John. Hike to Solomon Beach. Sit and marvel at Hawksnest Bay. Rent a Jeep and drive around the island and out to Little Lamshur Bay and swim with the spotted eagle ray that hangs out there. Get a burger at Skinny Legs (and a mango painkiller). Sit at the Beach Bar in Cruz Bay and watch the sun set over St. Thomas while drinking rum like a pirate.

Take a day to get over to the BVI. There are tours that will take you to the Baths on Virgin Gorda, snorkeling along the islands, and then spending the afternoon getting absolutely soggy at the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van **** (the MOST BEAUTIFUL beach in the world). If you really need golf, bring a sand wedge and some shaggers and knock them around on perfect white sand. Tell Sana at Soggy (bartender) that Shane says hello.

Golf will still be here when you have to leave paradise for the real world.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MullenboyMullenboy Members  10WRX Points: 9Posts: 10 Bunkers

Mycale - thanks! We're staying at Ritz Carlton Club on St. Thomas and that's all paid for so... not sure if we will do any overnights on any other islands. That's just how this trip has to be set up.

In any case you all have very much sold me on this being a non-golf trip. :)

thanks

Posted:
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods  12846WRX Points: 2,358Handicap: 6.8Posts: 12,846 Marshals

Yeah I have been to St Croix a few times on work trips for my wife - and I didnt get the slightest urge to play any of those courses even though I've been to all three. Not one of them looked that appealing.

Posted:
    SIM 12* - Smoke Green 70x
    SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s
    Sim 4i / 4h - Ventus Blue s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / 58*
    Cleveland RTX3 62*
    Toulon Austin 35" / Chromesoft Truvis

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.