Transition foot pressure

I learned to play golf from Nicklaus’ Golf My Way, feeling my swing in my feet (a roll of the ankles). Over the years I’ve lost that feel, focusing more on my torso, hip, arms and hand motions.

I was recently working on pressuring the ground with the ball of my right foot as a way to initiate the downswing. The drill I used is practicing with a piece of cardboard under my right foot and having the foot turn clockwise (I got this from a Gankas video). After a number of reps, I remove the cardboard and use that feel to start my change of direction transition. It’s not my ankle roll Nicklaus footwork feel, but it is producing a shallower downswing. Trajectory changed from a fade to slight draw, more than half club longer. I’ve also now starting letting my left heel come off the ground again in the backswing for a deeper hip turn, confident I’ll still clear my hips by impact.

The question I have is at what point in the backswing should I feel this pressuring on the right foot into the ground. trying to turn clockwise. I’ve been waiting under I feel my right shoulder up and behind me (my back facing the target). I did try a few swings pressuring at 2/3 & 3/4 backswings and didn’t seem to lose any power, possibly more consistent trajectory. Welcome suggestions on when this transition move should be felt.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you’re going that route, here’s the deal.

Getting proper left side bend in the backswing helps get weight in your right heel going back. This gets your hands deep over your right shoulder at the top. Also, your right knee should be losing a hair of flex as you rotate. This should be keeping your mass centered.

If you are a guy that moved off of the ball for a long time, you will feel pretty damn forward, almost like you’re doing some stack and tilt stuff. That is totally a feel thing. A lot of guys feel 50/50. People that historically moved off (like me) feel like it’s way forward. You should then be able to easily track the ground with that left foot. If it feels like you can’t get pressure into that foot, you’re too far back at the top. This will force you to slide and tilt. Look up George’s stuff about thoracic extension. That little spine move at the top helps to re-center you.

If you feel like in a slow mo, you spin off of that front foot, your weight is too far over your right side.

If all of that is good and your club face is in a good position at the top, you can actually freeze from that structure, start that downswing move, and hit it pure. If not, something is off.

The question I have is at what point in the backswing should I feel this pressuring on the right foot into the ground. trying to turn clockwise. I’ve been waiting under I feel my right shoulder up and behind me (my back facing the target). I did try a few swings pressuring at 2/3 & 3/4 backswings and didn’t seem to lose any power, possibly more consistent trajectory. Welcome suggestions on when this transition move should be felt.For me - it's not what I thought it was.
By P2 - most PGA's have more pressure in their trail foot than lead foot.
But by P3-P4 - most PGA's start balancing the pressure in the lead side.
By P5-P6 - most PGA's have 70+% in the lead side.
I wouldn't get too caught up on creating a ton of pressure on the trail side - it will most likely just get you stuck on that side. Amateurs typically have too much pressure / weight on the trail side at impact compared to PGA players. The trail side pressure is very early. Once the body starts rotating above waist high - it will naturally want you to put more pressure into the lead side. Learning how to pivot properly when with your weight pressure mostly in the ball of your lead foot - is where I would recommend starting. @Dumpedunder made a real good point. Most players will feel like they are leaning towards the target too much when doing this properly.

• 1 year later...
On 5/26/2020 at 10:13 AM, wagolfer7 said:

The question I have is at what point in the backswing should I feel this pressuring on the right foot into the ground. trying to turn clockwise. I’ve been waiting under I feel my right shoulder up and behind me (my back facing the target). I did try a few swings pressuring at 2/3 & 3/4 backswings and didn’t seem to lose any power, possibly more consistent trajectory. Welcome suggestions on when this transition move should be felt.For me - it's not what I thought it was.
By P2 - most PGA's have more pressure in their trail foot than lead foot.
But by P3-P4 - most PGA's start balancing the pressure in the lead side.
By P5-P6 - most PGA's have 70+% in the lead side.
I wouldn't get too caught up on creating a ton of pressure on the trail side - it will most likely just get you stuck on that side. Amateurs typically have too much pressure / weight on the trail side at impact compared to PGA players. The trail side pressure is very early. Once the body starts rotating above waist high - it will naturally want you to put more pressure into the lead side. Learning how to pivot properly when with your weight pressure mostly in the ball of your lead foot - is where I would recommend starting. @Dumpedunder made a real good point. Most players will feel like they are leaning towards the target too much when doing this properly.

I’ve worked on the above, and while I do feel the pressure shifting toward lead side between P3 to P4, I still feel that my trail foot pressure into the ground initiates transition with a clockwise downward pressure into the ground on the trail foot.  The reaction of the lead leg and hip happen without just placing them into position.