I have to come clean... to the GolfWRX Community...

HeadonaStickHeadonaStick FloridaMembers, ClubWRX Posts: 5,393 ✭✭
edited Dec 24, 2008 in Equipment #1
Please, don't be too hard on me.
I'm shallow. I'm not the club ho I appear to be... all the irons over the past two years have been because I'm a shallow, shallow man.

These:

evaporated due to old age. The stainless steel is actually rusting! I have no idea what the shaft is, but I'm quite sure they aren't something to brag about like a set of ultra cool KBS Tours or even nice Project X's. And if those are grooves, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

These came from Wal*Mart before the turn of the century (the last one, I think, but it could have been the turn before). They are a Ping knockoff, but unlike my putter, they knocked off an ugly Ping.

My Uncle played them before me. I got them when his mid-life crisis was over. I've had them in the bag for 8 years? Nine years? I put a set of blades into play for 1/2 a season when I started (because they looked better) but they were brutally unforgiving.

Let me apologize ahead of time, but sometimes strong language is called for: I hate these f-ers, and I hate the fact I can hit any **** shot I want with ease. Look at them. They should hit nothing but high lobs. They should have hot spots and be inconsistent distance wise. There shouldn't be a bit of spin on the ball due to serious lack of grooves - but I can make the ball stand up and bark like a dog with the 8, 9 and wedge.

No matter, I can call up a knockdown punch, I high soft landing, cuts are my specialty but I can even draw the ball with these.

Look at the insane amount of offset. ****, the face is in a different zipcode than the shaft! These should be able to hit nothing but high hooky shots.

I shoot mid 70's with these. I have not been able to break 85 consistently with any other club. Only two sets even came close the versatility these ugly mother f-ers provide. Naturally, I didn't hang onto those either.

The only thing I do is make sure they have good grips on them:

I want these butt-ugly, ancient, cheap a** copies out of my bag. Their ugliness is an ambarrassment to me, and club junkies everywhere.

I feel like I'm living a double life - Internet club junkie with good taste and real life ugly club master. Sort of like the guy with the model's picture in his wallet but the two bagger at home (you know, so ugly she has to have a bag on her head and you have one on yours in case hers breaks).

So there you go. I'm shallow and hate ugly. I have ugly sticks. I can't get rid of them, and I'm not really a club ho, just a desperate, shallow man who really wants snazzy clubs to show off, but no amount of cash (and beatings by the wife) have solved my problem.

The only fun these ever provided me was once, at Disney, some a** clown took a look at my bag and made some comment about my "high-tech Mizunos" and I kicked his a** all over the course. Sadly, the pleasure lasted only until the next round with these aesthetically retarded clubs.

Help me, please.

Comments

• funkyfedorafunkyfedora Members Posts: 2,212 ✭✭
    Get them refinished? Those pretty ladies need a make over...
  • armydiverarmydiver Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    LOL I laughed so loud reading this, that I peed myself a little bit. You are indeed shallow and deserve the anguish that you get from those clubs. Wanna sell em? image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,841 ClubWRX
    Sounds like a confessional...the only thing you forgot was:

"My name is HeadonaStick and I play ugly clubs..."

You know there is an easy solution to your problem...donate the clubs to someone who needs them (like a First Tee program) and you won't ever have to look at them again. The new problem is that you'll miss your old scores causing you to scour the internet trying to find them again.

Good luck!
  • forgedforeverforgedforever Members Posts: 1,750 ✭✭
    If confession is good for the soul, you should be feeling great by Christmas Day! Wow!
  • birdieputtbirdieputt Jr. Boomers Posts: 379
    Grips look fresh.
  • HeadonaStickHeadonaStick FloridaMembers, ClubWRX Posts: 5,393 ✭✭
    texan_golf wrote on Dec 24 2008, 01:59 PM:
    texan_golf wrote on Dec 24 2008, 01:54 PM:
    Lol................

By the way you know you are now offically kicked out of the HO club...LoL

ARE THOSE TOUR ISSUE...LoL

They do say Tour on them... does that mean they are Tour issue? It is even written in gold paint (or is that that gold inlay stuff they did in the middle ages?)
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,841 ClubWRX
    funkyfedora wrote on Dec 24 2008, 12:53 PM:

A make-over only helps to illuminate the beauty that already exists...but you can't fix ugly which seems to be the problem here.

A refinish would be like putting a new dress on Rosie O'Donnell...it would probably just attract more of the wrong attention.

image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />
    funkyfedora wrote on Dec 24 2008, 01:53 PM:

1. I don't think a respectable re-finisher would let them in the door,

2. It would be a bit like giving a five dollar hooker a makeover.
    birdieputt wrote on Dec 24 2008, 01:58 PM:
    Grips look fresh.

Naturally.

Can you imagine if these slipped and hit someone in the melon? The embarrassment in court when they showed pictures of these...
  • MarrrkMarrrk South Jersey to Brooklyn Members Posts: 1,751
    edited Dec 24, 2008 #11
    well, the upside is, you did come clean. i guess that means you're not shallow anymore. so you got that going for you.
  • LanglandsLanglands ScotlandMembers Posts: 1,934 ✭✭
    edited Dec 24, 2008 #12
    They look just like my first full set of irons - Mizuno Astron. Bought them over 20 years ago with my Saturday job wages working in the local prop shop. Great sticks, wish I still had them, although I can't promise I would use them still.

Long irons were awesome, butt ugly but so easy to hit! image/miz.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':miz:' />
    Callaway XR 10.5
    Adams Tight Lies 2 5W
    Callaway 3h
    Mizuno MP Fli-HI 4
    Snake Eyes 600B 6,8
    Vokey 48
    Mizuno MPT Raw Haze 56
    Ping Darby
    HeadonaStick wrote on Dec 24 2008, 01:02 PM:

Well that hooker gives great service...
  • forgedforeverforgedforever Members Posts: 1,750 ✭✭
    drpurpell wrote on Dec 24 2008, 01:08 PM:
    THey look just like my first full set of irons - Mizuno Astron. Bought them over 20 years ago with my Saturday job wages working in the local prop shop. Great sticks, wish I still had them, although I can't promise I would use them still.

Long irons were awesome, butt ugly but so easy to hit! image/miz.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':miz:' />

Oh my gosh I remember the Astron. And, yes, they were UGLY! However they were apparently functional.
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    let's see some of that offset.
    Whats wrong with your srixons? Here
  • littlepingmanlittlepingman Members Posts: 7,535 ✭✭
    Skaffa77 wrote on Dec 24 2008, 02:01 PM:
    funkyfedora wrote on Dec 24 2008, 12:53 PM:

A make-over only helps to illuminate the beauty that already exists...but you can't fix ugly which seems to be the problem here.

A refinish would be like putting a new dress on Rosie O'Donnell...it would probably just attract more of the wrong attention.

image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />

I believe they call this, "Polishing a ****". Cuz even when you polish it, its still just a ****. image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • AsleepAsleep Marshals Posts: 9,056 mod
    image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' /> Poser!

What do you want to do......post scores or buy clubs?

C'mon.....snap out of it! It's about looking good, not the golf! ..... isn't it???
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font]
  • littlepingmanlittlepingman Members Posts: 7,535 ✭✭
    Asleep wrote on Dec 24 2008, 02:20 PM:
    image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' /> Poser!

What do you want to do......post scores or buy clubs?

C'mon.....snap out of it! It's about looking good, not the golf! ..... isn't it???

I'll quote Billy Hoyle, "You'd rather look good and lose than look bad and win."

But there's nothing in the world wrong with that... image/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    funkyfedora wrote on Dec 24 2008, 02:08 PM:
    HeadonaStick wrote on Dec 24 2008, 01:02 PM:

Well that hooker gives great service...

Maybe, but I wouldn't take her out in public.

texan_golf wrote on Dec 24 2008, 02:11 PM:
    I want to see the woods and putter....Let me guess Titliest Howitzer driver and Titliest Star ship woods, with a Spalding Cash-in-putt...?

I'm not going to discuss the driver - its a modern one, but it is in time out for betraying me again.

My putters are behaving themselves...

Tenementrock wrote on Dec 24 2008, 02:13 PM:
    let's see some of that offset.

It looks like they had to actually deform the hosel to get that much offset...

funkyfedora wrote on Dec 24 2008, 02:17 PM:

Umm... I sold them on Monday and shipped them on Tuesday. Impossible to hit anything but high, or super high shots with them.

I'm thinking about trying the i-701 Tours but I already know how that will turn out... another trip to the BST and a happy day for someone. Not me.
    HeadonaStick wrote on Dec 24 2008, 01:35 PM:
    funkyfedora wrote on Dec 24 2008, 02:17 PM:

Umm... I sold them on Monday and shipped them on Tuesday. Impossible to hit anything but high, or super high shots with them.

I'm thinking about trying the i-701 Tours but I already know how that will turn out... another trip to the BST and a happy day for someone. Not me.

Oops sorry xD If you liked perimeter weighting and old clubs... Get some old pings. image/man_in_love.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':man_in_love:' /> .
  • thomaskellythomaskelly Members Posts: 73
    edited Dec 24, 2008 #23
    Bought a lefty set of the very same clubs (minus the six iron image/sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />) only a month ago. The iron set my ugly game deserves. Those nice Lamkin grips survive only on the three and four irons, condemning the previous owner in absentia.

Here's me, laying up just short of the fire station with the five iron.

http://www.swingacademy.com/swinganalysistool.aspx?id=2098

You wouldn't happen to know in what year they came on the market? Finding info on these clubs is tough.
  • TheCapedAvengerTheCapedAvenger Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭
    edited Dec 24, 2008 #24
    The last time I saw a neck bent like that was when my grandpa hit a canadian goose with his pickup.
    GtownBeerBelly wrote on Dec 24 2008, 02:38 PM:
    Bought a lefty set of the very same clubs (minus the six iron image/sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />) only a month ago. The iron set my ugly game deserves. Those nice Lamkin grips survive only on the three and four irons, condemning the previous owner in absentia.

You wouldn't happen to know in what year they came on the market? Finding info on these clubs is tough.

I can't find the exact year (Mizuno won't discuss these gems) but I know they were released between 83 & 86. I also know the trade-in value is 20 bones. Yeah.
  • Pinehurst1999Pinehurst1999 Members Posts: 2,173
    GtownBeerBelly wrote on Dec 24 2008, 02:38 PM:

Is that swing video is slow motion?
  • thomaskellythomaskelly Members Posts: 73
    edited Dec 24, 2008 #27
    No. My languid style makes Mr Couples look twitchy image/cool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='(cool)' />

Here's face on:

http://www.swingacademy.com/swinganalysistool.aspx?id=2099

Nothing beats a busy main road to deter hooking. I would offer to trade my SW for HeadonaStick's six iron if he didn't stand on the wrong side of the ball.
  • nobogeys59nobogeys59 Members Posts: 372 ✭✭
    Is it April Fools time already. image/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • nutzfourgolfnutzfourgolf Members Posts: 177 ✭✭
    HeadonaStick,

This is one of the best posts ever. Now that you've come "clean" you'll be able to sleep better at night! If you score with these "beauties" then display them proudly! Remember - it's not how (or with what) it's how many! Nice Mills btw.....
    nutzfourgolf wrote on Dec 24 2008, 03:50 PM:
    HeadonaStick,

This is one of the best posts ever. Now that you've come "clean" you'll be able to sleep better at night! If you score with these "beauties" then display them proudly! Remember - it's not how (or with what) it's how many! Nice Mills btw.....

Maybe, but I'm still hoping that Cleveland or Srixon will come up with something I can hit. The TA7 and the 506 were really close to putting these out of the bag... maybe now that they are in cahoots...
  • texcromtexcrom ClubWRX Posts: 3,476 ClubWRX
    Nice grips!!!(???) image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' /> image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' /> image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />

(Send me the putter and all will be forgiven!!)
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff <br/> Titleist TS3 16.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff <br/> Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron Project X PXi 6.0<br/> Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron Project X PXi 6.0<br/>Titleist 718 AP2 5 - 9 irons AMT Tour White S-300 <br/> Titleist Vokey SM7 48-10 <br/> Titleist Vokey SM7 52-08<br/> Titleist Vokey SM7 56-10 <br/> Titleist Vokey SM7 60-12 <br/> Odyssey O-works 2 Ball Red <br/> Titleist Pro V1X <br/> <br/> Titleist 905R 10.5 degree YS6+ Stiff <br/> Titleist 718 AP2 4 iron and pitching wedge <br/> Taylormade R7 425 TP <br/> Taylormade R7 TP Titanium 3 wood <br/> Scotty Cameron Select Newport <br/> Ping Anser 35 inch <br/> Cleveland Designed By blade putter (2) <br/> <br/>GO VOLS!!