Getting into College from Canada

hi there, has anyone you know gotten into NCAA from canada, i have some questions?

- can you get a full- ride scholarship being canadian

- what is the best way to get noticed

- do you email the coach or just fill out those questionares

if there is anything anyone know's that would be appreciated

what type of schools would you be able to get into shooting 71-77

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not a college player but here are some suggestions, from a Canadian now living in America.

First check this out.

http://www.collegegolf.com/collegegolf/

1. Yes you can get a scholarship no matter what your Nationality. Note: most athletes on Golf Teams are not on a full ride. If the Team is allowed 4 scholarships they are often divided amongst the team, weighed heavier on the top players.

2. Have a golf resume. Tournaments played, tournament results, tournament scoring average. (Actual not range)

What year are you in school. Coaches can only talk to upper classmen.

You will need a lower scoring average to get into a Div 1 program if you are currently a Junior or Senior (grade 11-12) But there are always Div II schools.

Some programs target foreign players more than others. Talk to your local pro, RCGA administrators or school administrators to see if they have any connections at schools in the states. You need an introduction to a coach as paper only goes so far.

God Luck.

(If you are Canadian, how the HECK are you a Sabres fan?? That is just wrong, even if you live in the Niagara region. Suffer with the rest of us and root for the Leafs!)

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

hi there, has anyone you know gotten into NCAA from canada, i have some questions?

- can you get a full- ride scholarship being canadian

- what is the best way to get noticed

- do you email the coach or just fill out those questionares

if there is anything anyone know's that would be appreciated

what type of schools would you be able to get into shooting 71-77

Yes you can get a full ride. I know lots of guys from my hometown on full rides or partial rides to NCAA Div 1-2 schools.

Best way to get noticed is win major events in Canada...or if you live in Southern Ontario go play some AJGA events.

Email coaches...let them know ahead of time your thinking about their school, be realistic about your talents and the school your applying to though.

Make sure you have a resume made up of all your golfing accomplishments, try to get your swing on video, have stats on hand like tournament scoring average, the courses you play yardage/slope/rating.

71-77 is a LARGE gap. If your averaging 71 in tournaments your probably winning some pretty big events and are looking at a good D1 school. 77 your looking at D2-3 or a small D1 school.

(If you are Canadian, how the HECK are you a Sabres fan?? That is just wrong, even if you live in the Niagara region. Suffer with the rest of us and root for the Leafs!)

i'am from outside of Saint Catharines and i am close to Buffalo so i' am a sabre fan, to bad they will miss the playoffs but a least i have tickets for Fridays game to see them whip the leafs :clapping:

Keep wishing for a Hamilton franchise.

For punishment go throw yourself off of the Falls. The Bridle Veil falls not even the Horseshoe falls for you. :lol:

Have fun at the game. We'll see who does the whipping, between two bottom dwellers. :(

SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

All good posts.

Like was said, that range is pretty large. I'm a division III Junior College coach in Rochester and this is the lowest level of college golf there is. We are typically in the top 5 in the nation and if your average was closer to 77, you would have a tough time starting on our team.

There are a lot of good golfers out there. I would highly recommend expanding you ideas of where to go. D III NCAA can't offer athletic scholarship money but they can do a lot more than you think. Major D I schools look for people. If you have received some questionaires, that's a real good sign. That should give you an idea of where you fit in.

Sometimes, being a member of a team that competes for national titles is more rewarding than being on a team fighting just for a chance to play.

Good luck with your search. Being located close to you, I can tell you what schools in Upstate New York have decent teams. Binghamton is the closest good D 1 school around. Probably about 5 hour drive for you.

Actually right over the border there are two schools, Niagara U and Canisuis College, both offer Div. 1 programs and scholarships for golf. They are no more then a 20 min drive from St. Catharines. Both those programs aren't awful and compete in many events.

I think the 77 would work at most Div 3 colleges...the top team in the Nations scoring average is 73.99@Methodist, and all the average dropped scores are above 78 so there's a spot for 77.

Also the two schools in Rochester (U fo Roch and Nazareth one of them is top 5 in the nation?? I'm not questioning it, I just didn't know that!)

Ahh ok very nice.

I thought my college golf knowledge was up to date so when I thought of Rochester those were the first two schools that came to mind.

302 is a ridiculous average, congrats on that you must have a nice little team built up there.

I'm obviously biased towards Niagara and Canisuis I know a lot of guys on both teams lol, but your right they aren't a "good" golf program at either institution no chance of making it to that next level.

Just an option for him since he lives so close, but if your looking to play at a decent program spot on with Binghamton being the closest.

Sabes fan you are getting some great responses, including an actual college coach! Use these resources wisely.

I can't help to think that if a young Canadian golfer is looking to play golf in the States, he is wishing for Arizona or Florida area schools, not Up State New York. Sorry fellas, but in Canada golfers dream of sun and fun, not snow. :lol:

SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

We usually do pretty well. The last two years haven't been that great but this year and next year look real good.

Two year schools are another option. I would look into some d 2 and d 1 junior colleges. go to njcaa.org

ya but what is NJCAA can you get scholarships, or do you go there till you get good enough for division, i'am lost. what do you need to shoot to get into NJCAA?

Sabes fan you are getting some great responses, including an actual college coach! Use these resources wisely.

I can't help to think that if a young Canadian golfer is looking to play golf in the States, he is wishing for Arizona or Florida area schools, not Up State New York. Sorry fellas, but in Canada golfers dream of sun and fun, not snow. :lol:

Definately would love that warm Arizona climate all year.rolleyes.gif

Definately would love that warm Arizona climate all year.rolleyes.gif

You do not want to play in Arizona from about June-August lol...the winter climate is ideal, summer not so much.

definitely go for the school year then back home for the summer, much better summers here in So. Ont then in Arizona/Nevada.

btw I'll see you out at Sawmill this year!

Hey man,

Im a freshman at college right now, I go to Southern Wesleyan University in South Carolina. I'm from Niagara-on-the-Lake, did you ever play on the Titleist Junior Tour, I played my last season on it last year. I would definitely suggest trying to get into a smaller school down in the south, it can be somewhat hard being so far away from home, but the weather is amazing, I finally got to play golf all year.

Hey man,

Im a freshman at college right now, I go to Southern Wesleyan University in South Carolina. I'm from Niagara-on-the-Lake, did you ever play on the Titleist Junior Tour, I played my last season on it last year. I would definitely suggest trying to get into a smaller school down in the south, it can be somewhat hard being so far away from home, but the weather is amazing, I finally got to play golf all year.

hey how is it going, i played in the CJGA for a few events but this year iam trying out for the Titlesit tour, i think i played with you a few years back at Twenty Valley, how much have you improved playing more than 4 months a year. good luck in the rest of the year.